Page 52 of 68 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1354
    It is a great draw, and we should surely finish in the top two, if not win our group. The next also looks favorable, but we cannot look too far ahead. We have some pretty significant injuries, namely in the back with Gooch out. Hopefully he will return to full fitness before the cup, he was one of our best, if not the best defenders we had in the 2006 cup in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ironduke2009 View Post
    It is a great draw, and we should surely finish in the top two, if not win our group. The next also looks favorable, but we cannot look too far ahead. We have some pretty significant injuries, namely in the back with Gooch out. Hopefully he will return to full fitness before the cup, he was one of our best, if not the best defenders we had in the 2006 cup in my opinion.
    We got some great news over the weekend on the injury front as Jay DeMerit, who was out after surgery to repair a scratched cornea, returned to play for Watford. Also, Jermaine Jones, who recently switched certification to the U.S., has started training again for Schalke 04. Maurice Edu is back to training with Rangers this week as well, and Gooch and Davies are progressing remarkably with their recovery from injuries...Davies could be running by late January, according to his team. That would be simply astounding.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

So is anyone thinking about GOING? I may put in for tickets for the three US games and some other big games on the FIFA site and see if I get lucky with the draw - which you find out about near end of January. If I do, then I'd buy a package to go down there. Hotels are booked, but if you go through a packaged deal, I understand that places are available.

I don't think I could swing trying to buy tickets on the secondary market on top of the cost to travel there. (U.S.-England tickets that have $80 or $120 face value are already going for $2K).

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    So is anyone thinking about GOING? I may put in for tickets for the three US games and some other big games on the FIFA site and see if I get lucky with the draw - which you find out about near end of January. If I do, then I'd buy a package to go down there. Hotels are booked, but if you go through a packaged deal, I understand that places are available.

I don't think I could swing trying to buy tickets on the secondary market on top of the cost to travel there. (U.S.-England tickets that have $80 or $120 face value are already going for $2K).
    I've always wanted to go, but having no job right now means that's way on the backburner. Maybe in 2014 or if I win the lottery or something (unless someone here wants to pay for me to go...that would be wonderful )

Be VERY very careful about getting tickets on the secondary market...chances are you will lose your money. FIFA this year is issuing tickets in the name of the people who win them in the various lotteries. They will NOT change the names on them, and those people are the only people who can pick up the tickets. The kicker: those people can only pick up the tickets at the stadium the day of the match. So, unless these people who are selling tickets are going to pick them up in SA, they're probably just short selling to get people's money.

2003-2004 HLM

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    We got some great news over the weekend on the injury front as Jay DeMerit, who was out after surgery to repair a scratched cornea, returned to play for Watford. Also, Jermaine Jones, who recently switched certification to the U.S., has started training again for Schalke 04. Maurice Edu is back to training with Rangers this week as well, and Gooch and Davies are progressing remarkably with their recovery from injuries...Davies could be running by late January, according to his team. That would be simply astounding.
    wow this is great news!!!!!! do you have an article to that?? i don't want him to rush back, but werent they saying like 8-12 months for full recovery??

Quote Originally Posted by soccerstud2210 View Post
    wow this is great news!!!!!! do you have an article to that?? i don't want him to rush back, but werent they saying like 8-12 months for full recovery??
    I can't find the article unfortunately, and the one I saw was in French. But yes, they were saying 8-12 months for a full recovery, but apparently he is making incredible progress. I still don't think he'll be ready for the World Cup, but if he is...look out, world.

2003-2004 HLM

I can't find the article unfortunately, and the one I saw was in French. But yes, they were saying 8-12 months for a full recovery, but apparently he is making incredible progress. I still don't think he'll be ready for the World Cup, but if he is...look out, world.
    seriously! that would be awesome to have him back. the scary thing is having the same thing happen to him as did with eddie johnson. he was a terror before getting injured. after his return he was just never the same.

i pray the same will not be true for charlie. not just for my selfishness either

If anyone goes, you will have a blast, just be careful. I spent three weeks in South Africa last spring, and saw 4 of the new stadiums (including Jo-Burg's and Capetown's). It was an absolute blast. Still, I can promise you crime will be a problem (I'm not saying it's going to be a disaster, SA just has a lot of petty crime right now in addition to the high murder rate) compared to Germany last time (or really any of the past WC's before that).

Hate to take the conversation away from the biggest sporting event in the world...

What do folks think about this...

Two Italian teams were playing. A player pulled a muscle and kicked the ball out of bounds. The other team didn't realize he was hurt, so they intercepted the ball and scored a goal. When the scoring team realized their mistake, they felt awful so they just stood there and allowed the first team to score a make-up goal without trying to defend at all.

Soccer is a sport of gentlemen, for sure.

--Jason "the unspoken rules of the game are very interesting" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Hate to take the conversation away from the biggest sporting event in the world...

What do folks think about this...

Two Italian teams were playing. A player pulled a muscle and kicked the ball out of bounds. The other team didn't realize he was hurt, so they intercepted the ball and scored a goal. When the scoring team realized their mistake, they felt awful so they just stood there and allowed the first team to score a make-up goal without trying to defend at all.

Soccer is a sport of gentlemen, for sure.

--Jason "the unspoken rules of the game are very interesting" Evans

Never heard about this before, maybe if I consult the book of soccer history (my dad) I'll be able to find precedent. Thats as pure as it gets though.

I don't think I've ever heard this happen before in life, but I agree, Jason...the unwritten soccer rules are interesting. But, players follow them for the most part. This brings up a story of when I was playing as a stand-in striker for a team that needed a player for a league match. A guy on our team got hurt, and the ref gave a drop ball. We had kicked it out of bounds, so on the restart I thought that the other team had kicked it back to us. Instead, it was the reverse and our team was kicking the ball to the opposing keeper out of sportsmanship. Well, I thought it was a free ball and sprinted 50 yards to meet the shot and launch this incredible volley shot at the stunned keeper. He stopped the shot, but the looks everyone gave me on the pitch after that was something. Once the keeper told me what really occurred, I felt so bad that I had "taken advantage" of the sportsmanship play unknowingly. Of course, I immediately apologized to both teams, because if I knew that was a sportsmanship play, I would have definitely let it run to the keeper...but that sportsmanship thing is really taken seriously in soccer.

2003-2004 HLM

For those of you who follow the FA Cup, you missed a doozy in the Leeds-Kettering match. It went to extra time tied 1-1, and Leeds ended up winning 5-1 after extra time! More importantly, former Blue Devil Mike Grella scored 2 goals! He's really been performing well for Leeds, but for some reason he isn't being played much. One of the up and coming Americans who's doing well for himself over in Europe for a former world power in Leeds.

2003-2004 HLM

I don't think I've ever heard this happen before in life, but I agree, Jason...the unwritten soccer rules are interesting. But, players follow them for the most part. This brings up a story of when I was playing as a stand-in striker for a team that needed a player for a league match. A guy on our team got hurt, and the ref gave a drop ball. We had kicked it out of bounds, so on the restart I thought that the other team had kicked it back to us. Instead, it was the reverse and our team was kicking the ball to the opposing keeper out of sportsmanship. Well, I thought it was a free ball and sprinted 50 yards to meet the shot and launch this incredible volley shot at the stunned keeper. He stopped the shot, but the looks everyone gave me on the pitch after that was something. Once the keeper told me what really occurred, I felt so bad that I had "taken advantage" of the sportsmanship play unknowingly. Of course, I immediately apologized to both teams, because if I knew that was a sportsmanship play, I would have definitely let it run to the keeper...but that sportsmanship thing is really taken seriously in soccer.
    hahaha this is hysterical. i laughed out loud on this one

but ya i agree. sometimes that "rule" is frustrating, but it is a cool gesture i think

For those of you who follow the FA Cup, you missed a doozy in the Leeds-Kettering match. It went to extra time tied 1-1, and Leeds ended up winning 5-1 after extra time! More importantly, former Blue Devil Mike Grella scored 2 goals! He's really been performing well for Leeds, but for some reason he isn't being played much. One of the up and coming Americans who's doing well for himself over in Europe for a former world power in Leeds.
    that's interesting. he hasnt gotten any call ups or anything has he? the name doesnt sound familiar on the national team front

hahaha this is hysterical. i laughed out loud on this one

but ya i agree. sometimes that "rule" is frustrating, but it is a cool gesture i think
    Haha, yea, it was funny after the fact, although during the game I'm sure the other team was calling me every 4-letter word in the book. I ended up scoring that game too and then leaving after a rash challenge left me with a sprained foot.

that's interesting. he hasnt gotten any call ups or anything has he? the name doesnt sound familiar on the national team front
    No, no callups for Grella. He hasn't got a lot of playing time and he only got to Leeds in '08 after graduating from Duke. But, I've followed his career and he has done well for himself. He's had a couple of games where he came off the bench and immediately scored or assisted on a goal. But, if he keeps going and possibly makes it onto a better team (or if Leeds finally moves up to the Championship), he'll potentially get added to the U.S. player pool, I think.

I almost forgot to say, here's the incredible part of his play...he didn't even get into the game until the start of the 2nd extra time period (106th minute). He scored the winning goal 1 minute later and his 2nd goal made it 4-1 Leeds in the 115th minute. That's making the most of your opportunities...his goal sent Leeds to the 4th round of the FA Cup...they will face Man U.

2003-2004 HLM

i will be watching that game and looking for him!

cant say that i want him to come in and take over the game (seeing i am a huge man u fan) but i would like to see him get in and play really well against one of the top clubs in the world!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...nsfers&cc=5901

looks like donovan might sign with everton!! this would be huge! a great opportunity to be playing against the best before the world cup!!!

thoughts?

I think it's a great move for Landon. I always thought the English game (or perhaps the Spanish game) more suited his abilities than the Bundesliga. I think he could move in as a suitable replacement for Arteta and fit in real well at Everton. Also, with Timmy there, it will be an easier transition for him. Plus, Everton could use his abilities, as they're towards the bottom of the pack in the EPL.

2003-2004 HLM

Does anyone think that Stuart Holden will make the U.S team? If Davies is out despite his fast recovery so far, I could see Holden geting in there as a sub. The real question is if Gooch can play, he is our rock and we really on him just as much as Howard or Donavan.

Quote Originally Posted by RainingThrees View Post
    Does anyone think that Stuart Holden will make the U.S team? If Davies is out despite his fast recovery so far, I could see Holden geting in there as a sub. The real question is if Gooch can play, he is our rock and we really on him just as much as Howard or Donavan.
    I think Stu is in there. He's performed very well on the intl stage at RM, especially as a sub for Dempsey when we move him up to striker. If Davies cannot return, I think he's a shoo-in for a starting spot, but regardless, I think he will be one of the 23 players going to South Africa.

2003-2004 HLM