Page 51 of 68 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1354
    USA Match Schedule, for those who want to look ahead:
    Saturday, June 12: England vs. USA in Rustenberg, 2:30 PM Eastern.
    Friday, June 18: Slovenia vs. USA in Johannesberg, 10:00 AM Eastern.
    Tuesday, June 23: Algeria vs. USA in Tshwane/Pretoria, 10:00 AM Eastern.

Excellent draw for the US! Couldn't hope for much better. Definitely will be projected to finish second in the group.

"If US makes second round, its opponent would come from Group D: Germany, Serbia, Ghana, or Australia. If US makes quarters, foe would be one of: Argentina, France, Mexico, Nigeria, S. Africa, Uruguay, Greece, S. Korea. Would avoid having to face defending champ (Italy) and world top 3 (Brazil, Spain, Holland) until WC semis."

http://twitter.com/Grantwahl

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Is it just me or is this an exceptionally good draw for us?

-Jason
    The US got about as good of a draw as they could have hoped for. England will obviously be the favorites in the group (the talking heads on Sky Sports right now are already talking about who England would play in the round of 16), but the US can play with England and won't be a pushover. Algeria is a good draw because they are not the strongest African team out there, and also aren't as physical as some other African teams (ex. Ivory Coast and Ghana) and not as technically skilled as some of the South American teams that the US could have gotten. In terms of Slovenia, I don't know much about them, but the US avoided the 2 big teams in Pot D in terms of France and Portugal.

If the US finishes 2nd in the group, which is the expected result at this time, they would play the winner of Group D, which has Germany as the top rated team in that group. However, more good news from Grant Wahl, SI soccer writer, via twitter:
    Tremendous luck for USA: Would avoid having to face defending champ (Italy) and world top 3 (Brazil, Spain, Holland) until WC semis.

France and Mexico got VERY lucky by being placed in Group A with South Africa. Ivory Coast got unlucky again by getting in the group of death like in 2006. Their group also has Brazil and Portugal in it. Whatever team finishes second in that group won't have any letup in the round of 16, because they would have to play the winner of Group H, which is probably going to be Spain. Appointment viewing: Friday, June 25 is the last day of Group G, with Brazil vs. Portugal and Ivory Coast vs. North Korea at 10 AM Eastern on that day.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Its a fantastic draw for the USA. The only way it could have been better is if we got South Africa instead of England(well, Italy would probably have been better too). England's lack of a great attacking force yields us our best chance to escape with at least a point for non South African seeds. Brazil, Netherlands, and Spain would be a serious struggle to claim a point(yes, even with this past summers performance), and Germany and Argentina(presuming they get their act even somewhat together and even singlehandedly Messi could mess us up good) aren't good matchups for us. So I'm not too upset with getting England as the seed. And Algeria is widely regarded as the weakest team from pot 3, so we have to go in expecting to win that game. And then for the Euro pot, we just didn't want Portugal, Serbia, or France. And we got one of the 2 weak UEFA teams, Slovenia(Slovakia is the other, Greece, Switzerland and Denmark wouldn't have been too bad, but tough teams to beat).

Group A is probably going to be the most fascinating to watch, with all 4 teams feeling like they can go through(and even win the group). South Africa at home, France who expected a seed, Mexico a strong nonseed side, and Uruguay is an underrated CONMEBOL team which makes for 4 pretty evenly matched good sides. Its not a group of death, since none of the 4 would be expected to advance 4, but its going to be a great group to follow. Others are pointing to G as the group of death, but I just don't see a true group of death this year. G will be tough, but you have to think Portugal and Brazil will go through. Ivory Coast will challenge, but not enough quality to make it a group of death IMO(and N.Korea is the sacrificial lamb of the group, one of the worst teams in the tourney). Group D could also be interesting, as I think all 4 sides there are good squads. Germany and Serbia are the 2 best, but Australia and Ghana are good enough to cause them problems.

Gut reaction advancements(1st, 2nd):
    A: France, S. Africa(my head wants to say Mexico, but somehow suspect some friendly whistles will see the hosts not be the 1st host nation not to go through)
    B: Greece, Argentina
    C: England, USA
    D: Serbia, Germany
    E: Netherlands, Cameroon
    F: Paraguay, Italy(got a very good draw or they might have headed home early)
    G: Brazil, Portugal
    H: Spain, Chile

This is a terrific draw for our boys. I was convinced after we were drawn with England that we would end up with Ivory Coast and Portugal/France. But the football gods were smiling upon us today.

I was also initially irked that Mexico drew South Africa, but their group turned out much harder than ours. France will certainly be tough and South Africa will be very hard to beat on their home turf.

I am not very familiar with the topography of South Africa, so I dont know what the altitude will be for the US's 3 games. I'd appreciate it if some one could enlighten me on this, as it will be a huge factor

Quote Originally Posted by FreezingDevil View Post
    This is a terrific draw for our boys. I was convinced after we were drawn with England that we would end up with Ivory Coast and Portugal/France. But the football gods were smiling upon us today.

I was also initially irked that Mexico drew South Africa, but their group turned out much harder than ours. France will certainly be tough and South Africa will be very hard to beat on their home turf.

I am not very familiar with the topography of South Africa, so I dont know what the altitude will be for the US's 3 games. I'd appreciate it if some one could enlighten me on this, as it will be a huge factor
    Here's your answer to the last question, from Grant Wahl on Twitter (http://twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/6344998099):
    "All USA group games within 2 hours of Jo'burg and at altitude."

One other thing: John Terry, the captain for England, was interviewed prior to the draw. He made the good point that the games will be played in the winter in South Africa, so heat won't be as much of an issue for the European teams as it has been in previous World Cups.

Aggregate FIFA rankings of each group from lowest to highest:

Group H: Spain, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile (1 + 18 + 38 + 17) = 74
    Group E: Netherlands, Denmark, Japan, Cameroon (3 + 26 + 43 + 11) = 83
    Group C: England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia (9 + 14 + 28 + 33) = 84
    Group D: Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana (6 + 21 + 20 + 37) = 84
    Group B: Argentina, Nigeria, South Korea, Greece (8 + 22 + 52 + 12) = 94
    Group G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portugal (2 + 84 + 16 + 5) = 107
    Group A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France (86 + 15 + 19 + 7) = 127
    Group F: Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia (4 + 30 + 77 + 34) = 148

Despite these numbers, Group G is clearly the toughest. I think A and H are also hard. Consider that Safrica is at home so their #86 ranking is probably waay underrating how well they will play.

I like the US draw. We'll be favored in 2 out of 3 matches. I wish we did not have our toughest match first. Can you imagine the uproar in England if we beat them?!?! Insanity!!

--Jason "what would happen if the US lost to England in basketball?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by arydolphin View Post
    Here's your answer to the last question, from Grant Wahl on Twitter (http://twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/6344998099):
    "All USA group games within 2 hours of Jo'burg and at altitude."

One other thing: John Terry, the captain for England, was interviewed prior to the draw. He made the good point that the games will be played in the winter in South Africa, so heat won't be as much of an issue for the European teams as it has been in previous World Cups.
    Thanks. I think the weather and the altitude will play a big part in this world cup. The winter weather could certainly be a big advantage to the USA and northern European teams that are used to playingi n such conditions.

Now I'm looking through the other groups. Here are the top group stage match ups I can't wait to see:

USA vs. England

Mexico vs. France

Brazil vs. Portugal

Germany vs. Serbia

Ivory Coast vs. Brazil

Group G has some great match ups. Thats a group of death right there

wow. this is fantastic for us! I thought we were doomed after the placement into england's group. historically we both get into the death groups.

this is super exciting!!!!! now if we can just get gooch healthy and maybe get a miraculous healing for davies!!!!

and if we advance to the knockouts. we face either germany or serbia. this is great!!!
    finally we catch a little break!!!

I almost called it!! Got England instead of South Africa, but we have to be hugely disappointed if we don't advance.

Interesting. France v. Mexico. Who else will be rooting for the meteor?

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    I almost called it!! Got England instead of South Africa, but we have to be hugely disappointed if we don't advance.
    hugely disappointed. we have a very good road. we just need to perform. from the very FIRST game

You cannot get a much better draw, except maybe if us, Slovenia and Algeria were in South Africa's group. Mexico and France lucked out getting into South Africa's group, and I'm definitely pulling for Uruguay and South Africa to shock the world. Ivory Coast? I feel for them...stuck in the group of death again, this time with Brazil, N. Korea and Portugal. The Dutch didn't get too good a draw either with Denmark, Japan and Cameroon. Italy got a pretty favorable draw with Paraguay, New Zealand and Slovakia.

Best part of this: No Brazil, Spain, Dutch or Italy until the WC semis at least. Group D is decent (who we'd play if we advanced into the Round of 16) with Germany, Australia, Serbia and Ghana, but each of those teams are also very beatable. All in all, a great draw for the U.S.!

Now, let's get our boys healthy...
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Interesting. France v. Mexico. Who else will be rooting for the meteor?
    actually i was hoping for that during the brazil vs portugal or brazil vs ivory coast game!

Forget about England, WE GET SLOVENIA and ALGERIA!!!

Slovenia: This is our trap game. US struggles with defensive counter-attacking teams from time to time. Still, if we are smart with possession, it is just a matter of putting the ball on frame when the opportunities arrive.

Algeria: If we play a solid game in back to slow down their jet-fast forwards, we will win this game fairly easy. I predict we win this handily off of set pieces. Their back line is unimpressive and small.

England: Any points we can get off England is icing. Still, can you even imagine if we won?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    England: Any points we can get off England is icing. Still, can you even imagine if we won?
    I am sure England would rather lose to Slovenia or Algeria than the US, even though either of those would be far more embarrassing and a far bigger upset. Can you imagine the pressure on the England coaches and players if we get a lead on them?!?! Talk about a freak out.

I don't think there has ever been a coach fired in the middle of a World Cup, but if we beat England... HA!!

--Jason "I am so eager for this game!!!! Lets get is started!!!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    You guys think you are anxious to get to this game, try sitting in my shoes. You see, our school here is essentially divided into 3 parts. Its one unified high school, and 2 separate parts feed into the high school. There's a more or less American K-8 elementary/middle school, and a Year 1 to Year 9 British School. So the next 6 months are going to be quite vocal in the jabs back and forth(fortunately, its a pretty great community and there shouldn't be anything more than good natured taunting). I'm certain there will be a number of bets on the outcome of the game(and of the nonmonetary but instead embarrassing kind).

Did anyone hear Alexi Lalas the idiot talking about how the US could easily tie and even beat England reguarly. Sorry dude, thats false, his personal bias against England and any other team besides the US showed a lot. Its one thing to love your country, but to be a total homer is quite another.

Quote Originally Posted by RainingThrees View Post
    Did anyone hear Alexi Lalas the idiot talking about how the US could easily tie and even beat England reguarly. Sorry dude, thats false, his personal bias against England and any other team besides the US showed a lot. Its one thing to love your country, but to be a total homer is quite another.
    It's funny...a ton of people here get on Jay Bilas for not showing favoritism at all to his alma mater when he's providing commentary. I like homerism, at least he's not afraid to show it and provide upbeat commentary about why he thinks the U.S. can get a point against England.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by RainingThrees View Post
    i actually like alexi lalas. i as watching the show and i liked that he took pride in his country. ncaa basketball favoritism is one thing. but showing pride and favoritism is another. i like it. i think there are A LOT of nervous england fans and players. just take for example the other guy sitting to lalas's left. i forget his name. but you could tell he didnt really want to elaborate on it haha

this is great. a great test for our players. to prove a point to the world. that our players can play with england's best!!!