Page 22 of 68 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJay View Post
    Now, did anyone else watch the Galaxy v Chivas last night? Donovan scored in the 8th minute, and the Galaxy looked dangerous most of the 1st half, but after that, Chivas OWNED the 2nd half, and the Galaxy continue to slide down the table back into obscurity. I LOVE Cobi Jones as the coach though, my favorite ever USMNT player (even named my dog after him) so I hope he stay interim coach for a little while longer.
    Hey... what happened with Lalas and company? Was there ever an explanation as to their removal?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Hey... what happened with Lalas and company? Was there ever an explanation as to their removal?

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Nothing has been officially said about the whole situation as of yet, but Lalas is scheduled to be on World Soccer Daily (Sirius Channel 125 - 10-12 pm EST M-F, also have a podcast on ITunes) next week at some point, so I'm waiting to hear that interview. Regardless, I'm glad he's out, and the whole Ruud situation, thats what the Galaxy get for simply going after a big name as a coach, and not on quality.

Thanks for the welcome, Lavabe. I'm happy to be on the thread.

Maurice Edu is headed for Rangers, it looks like. I like this move, but I wish Rangers were actually going to be seeing more CL action this year. Apparently he's still slated to join the senior USMNT for the qualifiers next week, though.

Blue Devil Jay, I'm definitely excited for Altidore moving to La Liga. I've got high hopes for Jozy, as I know every US soccer fan does. Hopefully we'll get some players in Serie A soon to start diversifying our players' approaches to the game when they play for the MNT. But honestly, I'm with you in only wanting defenders and d-mids in Serie A. I don't want our strikers to learn the art of diving from the Italians

We'll see what Adu can do at Monaco. I think that top two are CL, third is CL qualifier, and four is UEFA Cup for Ligue 1. I'm excited to see him get first team playing time. I think it would be better if he had the chance to shine in the Champions League, but playing well in Ligue 1, no matter how much the league may have slipped recently, will still bring him lots of suitors. Getting regular first team action in a top European league is still more beneficial than riding the pine at Benfica, even if it's not an ideal move. Plus, beneath Lyon, the league is relatively wide open. I guess Monaco probably has a decent chance of having a top 4 season.

Apparently Feilhaber AGF Aarhus in the Danish League. I think the guys got a lot of potential, but between his injuries, his mysterious lack of playing time for woeful Derby County last year, and a drop in confidence, he's fallen off quite a bit. I'd like to see him get back on track. I think he should be able to hold his own for Aarhus and maybe that will get him going agian.

Arsenal start the season off in typical fashion, a 1-0 victory over newly promoted West Brom, and missed SO many chances to put the game out of reach, but failed to convert. Im hoping it was opening day jitters, and not a sign of things to come. We WERE missing SuperCesc in the midfield, but that says alot about our lack of depth. The lone bright spot was Samir Nasri, who opened his PL account only 4 minutes into his career at Arsenal. Great goal , he finished calmly early on. Just wish we had finished the other chances we had, but its 3 points and a game we probably would have drawn last season.

Up the Arsenal, Up the Gunners!!!

Someone help me

I have come to a crossroads in my soccer fandom. I have followed the sport for two years now and as you know I have supported Chelsea, one of the big four, who essentially bought their titles. When I got into the premier league, I really had no idea that Chelsea FC was the Yankees of the PL. I just chose them because they were good. I really didnt know any better. As soon as I found out the recent history of the team, I should have dropped them and chosen a new team, but instead I ignored the facts and mistakenly kept rooting for the Blues.

I now realize this is as bandwagon as it gets and I really dont want that at all. After watching Chelsea's 4-0 drubbing of Pompey this weekend, I realized I really dont like this team at all. I see them as overpaid and I cant support them any longer. I mean, SWP make 14 million pounds/year to ride the bench, that is ridiculous.

So now what do I do. I think I must choose a new team. I have a few stipulations but dont really know what to do.

1. No Big 4 (Ruling Out Chelsea, ManU, Arsenal, and Liverpool)
    2. Some teams for whatever reason I just dont like for whatever reason
    Which rules out Fulham, Man City, Tottenham, and Wigan

Ruling out a few other teams i cant see myself rooting for I am left with

Aston Villa
    Blackburn
    Bolton
    Everton
    Middlesbrough
    Newcastle
    Portsmouth
    Sunderland
    West Ham

So what the hell do I do? I am at a loss and am looking for advice from my "soccer friends"

Quote Originally Posted by Ben63 View Post
    I have come to a crossroads in my soccer fandom. I have followed the sport for two years now and as you know I have supported Chelsea, one of the big four, who essentially bought their titles. When I got into the premier league, I really had no idea that Chelsea FC was the Yankees of the PL. I just chose them because they were good. I really didnt know any better. As soon as I found out the recent history of the team, I should have dropped them and chosen a new team, but instead I ignored the facts and mistakenly kept rooting for the Blues.

I now realize this is as bandwagon as it gets and I really dont want that at all. After watching Chelsea's 4-0 drubbing of Pompey this weekend, I realized I really dont like this team at all. I see them as overpaid and I cant support them any longer. I mean, SWP make 14 million pounds/year to ride the bench, that is ridiculous.

So now what do I do. I think I must choose a new team. I have a few stipulations but dont really know what to do.

Aston Villa
    Blackburn
    Bolton
    Everton
    Middlesbrough
    Newcastle
    Portsmouth
    Sunderland
    West Ham

So what the hell do I do? I am at a loss and am looking for advice from my "soccer friends"
    West Ham. Great academy (so you get to pull for a lot of great players before they become overpaid tools (Rio Ferdinand, Joe Cole (he's still ok to me), Frank Lampard, Paul Ince). Great fan support. Can usually count on some excitement (Cup Final vs. Liverpool a couple years ago; relegation/promotion battles). Will never win anything.

PS I think of Man U as Yankees of PL-- Chelsea have not been as consistently good for as long.

Aston Villa
    Blackburn
    Bolton
    Everton
    Middlesbrough
    Newcastle
    Portsmouth
    Sunderland
    West Ham

What I would do is just watch a whole bunch of FSC the next couple of weeks. Watch games with these teams. Sometimes, you just feel it; their style of play, players that are on the team that you enjoy watching, the reaction of the home crowd when a goal is scored. That's what draws you in, and then learning about the history and appreciating it helps you in the transition to fanhood. My favorite team is Real Madrid, but I started rooting for them long before they were the Galacticos. Sure, they've been the Yankees of the world in soccer, but that fact doesn't make me love them any less. I started following Chelsea a few years ago because one of my law school friends is a huge Chelsea fan, but he also was a fan before the era of Abramovich.

But, to conclude, the teams I would consider if I was a new EPL fan would be Aston Villa or Everton (because of the American goalkeepers), or Newcastle.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Same old Spurs . . .

I think this sums up how I felt after the Spurs match against Boro. Things better perk up soon.

Anybody going to watch the USA-Guatemala WC2010 qualifier tonight?

Oh, and as for choosing West Ham, that also happens to Barack Obama's favorite team in the Premiership. Don't know if that makes it any easier or harder for you

Also, because I'm a jersey collector, I do look at the jersey colors and how they look on the pitch. That may be a bit superficial, but if you don't like the colors or the design of the jersey, it's harder to support the team, as sometimes the colors really define the team (like Chelsea being "The Blues")

2003-2004 HLM

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Wow. What a performance from the US women against Brazil. Brazil had the better team all tournament, and for the most part, I thought looked the better team tonight. But they were incapable of putting the finishing touches on against a very solid US defense as well as Hope Solo who is probably feeling pretty proud right now. In contrast the US had few opportunities in the early stages of the game, but as they got them, worked some good looks in on goal. And as the tired legs mounted, they converted(and really should have converted on a couple more, the chip at the end of regulation, the shot off the post, Hucles mipottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth! when she was 1 vs 1 on the edge of the box) and held off Brazil's best efforts. Thought they gave away corners too easily and it nearly cost them, but even with some questionable allowance of play to continue by the ref, the defense held and the US ends up with gold. Never would have thought it would happen after watching the first 10 minutes of game 1 against Norway.

Congrats to the ladies. That was a fantastic game.

Makes you wonder if the World Cup would have been different with Solo in goal.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Makes you wonder if the World Cup would have been different with Solo in goal.
    I doubt it, although she would have been the better choice, imo. I think the coaching was the biggest factor - when I saw the smiles on the faces of the US women at the start of extra time it just seemed like a team having fun rather than one with a crushing weight on its shoulders. Plus, the switch from hoofing it up to Wambaugh exclusively was a welcome change. It seemed like the US got tired first, but then when Brazil started to get tired, they picked it back up. Great performance!

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    I think this sums up how I felt after the Spurs match against Boro. Things better perk up soon.

Anybody going to watch the USA-Guatemala WC2010 qualifier tonight?

Oh, and as for choosing West Ham, that also happens to Barack Obama's favorite team in the Premiership. Don't know if that makes it any easier or harder for you
    I watched that match....I have renewed my hatred for that team and their putrid tactics. The hit on Lewis should have been an assault charge, not just a straight red. There WAS intent to injure there, and off the pitch, he would have been charged. Gritty 1st ever win for the US down there. The goal scored was pretty fitting as it looked as if GUA stopped, thinking there was going to be a foul call on Onyewu, none was made, and we made them pay for it.

Oh...Yes you're correct, same old Sp*rs. Up the Gunners!

And yeah ManUre is more like the Yankees in the PL. Chelsea hadn't won a title in what, 52 years, up until these last couple? Im pretty sure it was around the 50 mark for sure. I personally chose Arsenal back in the early 90's due to their style of play, and I LOVED the bright yellow jerseys. Plus I was trying to get in good with my ex father in law at the time, and he was an avid Arsenal supporter, grew up just down the street from Highbury actually. So I fell in love with the team and have been a fan now for about 17 years. Come on Ben...you know you love to watch Arsenal play too...everyone does, its okay to admit it

Watched the entire womens GM game too, pretty good game but I think the US was lucky at best to win that one. Brazil was WAY faster and had many more chances, AND the goal scored was as soft as they come, but a W is a W and I'd take it too. Plus the future Mrs BDJ (Hope) made some amazing saves in the US goal, proving she was right to criticize the former coach, and essentially saved her team in that one, several times.

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Also, because I'm a jersey collector, I do look at the jersey colors and how they look on the pitch. That may be a bit superficial, but if you don't like the colors or the design of the jersey, it's harder to support the team, as sometimes the colors really define the team (like Chelsea being "The Blues")
    Spot on! And Arsenal's flourescent yellows back in the 90's had me hooked. I loved those things.

Thumbs down I don't like Chelsea ... ownership

Picking up the point from Ben63, I view their owner as nothing short of Steinbrenner (vintage 1970's). I simply can't stand him. I don't even view a Big Four in EPL, financially. Liverpool's ownership issues are awful. They can afford a Torres and Gerrard, but they can't stockpile as well as ManU and Chelsea. Although I respect Arsenal, I can't put them in the same financial set with ManU/Chelsea. For over-the-top spending, ManU & Chelsea are the biggees.

Ben: So long as you NEVER root for the Blues (Everton), you're okay in my book!

Oh yeah ... Liverpool's #9 gives the Reds an opening win away.

Regardless of whom anyone roots for, I am just plain happy that EPL has started up.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Picking up the point from Ben63, I view their owner as nothing short of Steinbrenner (vintage 1970's). I simply can't stand him. I don't even view a Big Four in EPL, financially. Liverpool's ownership issues are awful. They can afford a Torres and Gerrard, but they can't stockpile as well as ManU and Chelsea. Although I respect Arsenal, I can't put them in the same financial set with ManU/Chelsea. For over-the-top spending, ManU & Chelsea are the biggees.

Ben: So long as you NEVER root for the Blues (Everton), you're okay in my book!
    I agree Lavabe, in a financial sense, ManU and Chelsea are in a stratosphere of their own. However throwing in Arsenal and Liverpool just adds the element of winning. Correct me if I'm wrong BDJ but isn't Arsenal close to paying off the Emirates and therefore being able to put more $$ into salaries which could bring Arsenal up and relativley close to Chelsea and ManU. And there is no need to relish over Liverpool's ownerships/financial issues.

As for my new team I can't help but feel a little guilty for just switching, but given that this could be Chelsea's most successful year ever it gives it a little justification I hope. At least I'm not jumping off when times are rough.

I have it narrowed to Middlesbrough, Newcastle, and Sunderland. I'm a little weary about Sunderland for fear of relegation and sinking to lower levels for many years but for some reason I just like that club. But I am going to watch all 3 of these club's matches this weekend and I'll go from there.

Smile Liverpool East

I have it narrowed to Middlesbrough, Newcastle, and Sunderland. I'm a little weary about Sunderland for fear of relegation and sinking to lower levels for many years but for some reason I just like that club. But I am going to watch all 3 of these club's matches this weekend and I'll go from there.
    No on 'borough. Sunderland played well vs. Liverpool last week, but I just can't see them in the EPL for a long, historical period.

The Magpies would be the way to go. The Toon have a history... but you can't have Shearer back. Now about that Keegan dude...

And you could have a good Newcastle brew while rooting for them.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

And you could have a good Newcastle brew while rooting for them.
    Cmon Lavabe, I'm 17, but if I traveled to England...

All three teams on my shortlist had matches at the same time and therfore I only got see Sunderland play today but I really liked them. I wish I was confident that they would be up in the top flight for many years to come. I will want to see them at home though. As well as Newcastle. Really not all that high on Boro for whatever reason. So another week will go by before I make this important decision.

Also saw Arsenal and Fulham today, and Arsenal was very unimpressive losing to the Cottagers 1-0. And they didn't look all that good last week against West Brom though they did take 3 points. But Semir Nasri has impressed and could prove to be the signing of the summer in the EPL as far as importance to his club. Arsenal fans can only hope adding Silvestre and getting SuperCesc back will boost this team's level of play

As for Liverpool, all one can ask, Where would this club be without Steven Gerrard?

How about Stoke City today! Beating Aston Villa 3-2 in the final seconds of stoppage time to secure their first 3 points in the Premiership. I wasn't able to watch any of the other games today, but Stoke-AV was a very exciting game to watch.

And for those Real Madrid fans out there (read: probably only me), the Supercopa finale's tomorrow, and La Liga opens up action Labor Day Weekend!

2003-2004 HLM

Talking

As for Liverpool, all one can ask, Where would this club be without Steven Gerrard?
    Against Sunderland, it was El Nino. But yes, Gerrard is the glue ... and you can't forget about Carra. This season looks to be one where everyone will get a chance.

Next up: At Anfield vs. Liege in CL on Wednesday.

Cheers,
    Lavabe