Page 14 of 68 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Exclamation Group B Thrilling Action

I have to say that the Austria/Poland game was absolutely unbelievable. The first half Austrian attack was not unlike their 2nd half attack against the amazing Croatia game. I was totally surprised by the ending of the A/P game.

Surprises all around for Group B.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Croatia

Smallest nation in the tournament, but their players are surprisingly skilled. And they showed huge commitment-- closed down, got stuck in, ran their socks off. Got me pulling for them the rest of the way.

Talking Mixing this thread with the Ymm Beer thread

Quote Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
    Smallest nation in the tournament, but their players are surprisingly skilled. And they showed huge commitment-- closed down, got stuck in, ran their socks off. Got me pulling for them the rest of the way.
    Germany looked sluggish. Croatia was much the better team today.

I simply don't understand how Austria didn't score two goals in the first 30 minutes against Poland.

I also don't understand how a ref could call a PK in the last minute of 2nd half extra time. That looked like a pretty weak call.

During the Austria game, the announcers mentioned that a brewery has offered each Austrian player who scores a goal a lifetime supply of beer.

GO AUSTRIA!!
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
    Croatia- Smallest nation in the tournament

Ummm... if you don't count Switzerland yes, but you make a good point. They were sluggish against Austria, possibly taking them lightly, for good reason, they are #92 in the world. And Germany could have fallen into the same trap, taking Croatia for granted after seeing their previous performance.

Schwienstiger (sp) really killed them today, he was a sure starter for the next game, he played quite well. Mario Gomez has not impressed at all.

Group C tomorrow, I can't wait.

Thumbs up Group C: Italy/Romania; First Half

Fantastic first half action, and some of the best goalkeeping in the tourney. An Italian goal in stoppage time was disallowed for offsides; Italy had 2-3 folks offsides.

A much better game than expected.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Fantastic first half action, and some of the best goalkeeping in the tourney. An Italian goal in stoppage time was disallowed for offsides; Italy had 2-3 folks offsides.

A much better game than expected.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    If you are not watching this game, stop what you are doing and watch it. Wow, what can I say, wow.

And Deslok, I thought you were crazy, but Romania has surprised me, especially in this group, props to you for having the guts to call Romania.

Thumbs up The group of death

Quote Originally Posted by Ben63 View Post
    If you are not watching this game, stop what you are doing and watch it. Wow, what can I say, wow.

And Deslok, I thought you were crazy, but Romania has surprised me, especially in this group, props to you for having the guts to call Romania.
    2nd half action had some of the best saves of the tourney ... whoops, I also said that in the first half. Buffon (Italy) and Lobont (Romania) deserve men of the match.

Fantastic game.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Dutch/French (SPOILER ALERT)

If you haven't watched the Dutch/French game, do not scroll down.

White test appears below:

France needs Barthez, but I don't think even he could stop Robben and van Persie today. The Dutch looked awesome today. The French couldn't quite click up front today. The French goalkeeper was mediocre at best.

How did Robben get THAT goal today?

So now we get to all the permutations for advancement:
    The Dutch are through to the next round, winners of Group C.

For France to go through, well... the Dutch need not to lose to Romania, and France needs to beat Italy. Likewise, Italy needs a win vs. France AND the Dutch must not lose to the Romanians. If Romania beats the Dutch, the Romanians go through. If the French & Italians tie, and Romania ties, Romania goes through. If the French & Italians tie, and the Romanians lose, the tiebreaker will go to either the Italians or the Romanians.

I think I have them all there. Please correct me if I have goofed.
    My brackets are busted!

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Last edited by Lavabe; 06-13-2008 at 04:56 PM. Reason: White text

First off, I have been having computer issues the past week or so, so I have a long update with random soccer thoughts, from the Euros to USA-Argentina to transfer rumors/signings.

• I attended the USA-Argentina game last weekend. What a FUN game to attend. It was my first international game, and boy am I ready to attend another one. The whole day was a fun time, and the crowd was really good for the most part. Even though the game was a scoreless draw, I think that the Yanks played splendidly...dare I say they outplayed the #1 team in the country. Man of the Match: Tim Howard 100%

• Speaking of USMNT players, I was quite surprised at Altidore's transfer to Villareal, not because of where he ended up but where he didn't. Rumors that I was reading earlier that week had Newcastle keen to snatch both Altidore and Michael Bradley. Villareal is a great side though, and if he ends up staying with them (word is that the expected loan deal to Recreativo Huelva may be put on ice due to Altidore's expected participation in the Olympics and the missing of training camp), he will be playing Champions League football next year. Not bad for an 18-year-old American. I'm happy that he's moved on to Villareal, and that means that those of us with GolTV will probably be able to catch many games of the Yellow Submarine next year with their La Liga coverage.

• The Swiss got hosed in their first game. 2 definite handball penalties that went uncalled. Shame.

• Austria pulling it out yesterday and still have a chance to advance. And the guy that hit the penalty shot wins a lifetime supply of beer from an Austrian brewer...niiiice.

• My two teams that I'm really pulling for in this tournament, Spain and the Dutch, are playing out of their minds. Van Der Sar is playing ridiculous right now, but then again, so is the rest of the Dutch. Engelaar may be a hot commodity after this tournament's over. La Furia Roja (Spain) looks on it right now. We shall see how they play tomorrow against Sweden, but even though I disapprove of David Villa wearing the #7 shirt (I still think Raul should be on the squad), he had a game for the ages the other day, and I expect that to continue as well. Viva La Furia Roja!

• Scolari going to Chelsea threw me for a loop. He's a great national coach, but I'm not aware of his success on the club level (outside of Palmeiras and Cruzeiro. We shall see who he brings in and who leaves Stamford Bridge. I still think Drogba and others will be gone, but I'm not sure that Lampard will be one of the ones that leaves. It will be interesting if Quieroz, ironically Sir Alex's #2, will take over Portugal duties or if they find an outsider.

• Back to the Euros...Portugal, Croatia and Holland have all secured their place in the knockout stage...who's to join them? Romania really surprised me today, they play really well (I didn't get to see their 1st game against France). My prediction: The Romanians lose to the Dutch, but advance on goal differential when France and Italy draw. I think Spain will beat Sweden and advance, but Sweden will join them. Turkey vs. the Czechs in a true tie. The winner advances (I believe since they are tied in every tiebreaker, they would go to extra time if there is no winner after 90 minutes). Austria still has a chance, but I think that Germany pulls out a 1-0 victory (Klose goal) and Germany moves on.

Alright, that about does it, I think. I figure I'm all caught up now
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    • Back to the Euros...Portugal, Croatia and Holland have all secured their place in the knockout stage...who's to join them? Romania really surprised me today, they play really well (I didn't get to see their 1st game against France). My prediction: The Romanians lose to the Dutch, but advance on goal differential when France and Italy draw. I think Spain will beat Sweden and advance, but Sweden will join them. Turkey vs. the Czechs in a true tie. The winner advances (I believe since they are tied in every tiebreaker, they would go to extra time if there is no winner after 90 minutes). Austria still has a chance, but I think that Germany pulls out a 1-0 victory (Klose goal) and Germany moves on.
    I think I heard commentators yesterday say that no extra time occurs in this years Euro Cup - 90 minutes of tie goes straight to penalty kicks.

I haven't kept up with the games - work is a demanding - but I have caught the occasional match. I default to England as a rooting side, but with them out I am not sure who I like. I am sure that I enjoy watching some international football.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    The do go straight to PKs without extra time, because the tie for 2nd in a group could be between teams that aren't in the same stadium, and you can't have one set of rules for that and another set of rules if they played the 3rd match against each other. So straight to PKs... the next day or some such(and I have no idea what they'd do if Holland beats Romania 3-0 and the French and Dutch tie 1-1, because then all 3 sides would be exactly even). But I'm still hopeful of Romania advancing. Had they hit the PK, it would have been virtually assured, but alas. The Dutch will probably give most of their mainstays(and anyone carrying yellows) a break for the last match - except Robben who is still getting into form, a scary thought with his performance last night, so Romania catches a nice break there.

At this point its definitely the Dutch who have looked best(when factoring in their competition). The Spanish have looked almost as good(and btw, I think they have a decent shot at it this year, because I think Raul has held a large share of the responsibility of their underperformance in the last decade+, so I was thrilled he didn't make the squad). The Portuguese have been solidly good, but not nearly as spectacular as the Spanish or Dutch. And then I'm still trying to decide what to take from the Croatia-Germany game...

Ahh well, here's hoping tonights games aren't terribly exciting, as I begin my round the world trek and will miss these games.

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    Ahh well, here's hoping tonights games aren't terribly exciting, as I begin my round the world trek and will miss these games.
    Hope you have a great/safe trip! Take pics! Update us with your progress!

Smile El Nino & David Villa

If I see one more game in this tourney with a winning goal in extra time...

It looked as though it would be Sweden & Spain tied at 1. Spain pulled out a win over Sweden thanks to a nice break/poor defensive decision in the 92nd minute. David Villa scored it. Despite the reported row, El Nino scored the first goal.

Villa, Torres, and Cesc on the pitch at the same time ... a lot of fun to watch.

Where are you going Des? Let's see some photos!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

If I see one more game in this tourney with a winning goal in extra time...

It looked as though it would be Sweden & Spain tied at 1. Spain pulled out a win over Sweden thanks to a nice break/poor defensive decision in the 92nd minute. David Villa scored it. Despite the reported row, El Nino scored the first goal.

Villa, Torres, and Cesc on the pitch at the same time ... a lot of fun to watch.

Where are you going Des? Let's see some photos!

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Really good game as well. Lots of chances on both sides. I'm glad La Furia Roja pulled it out though!

2003-2004 HLM

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    I'm not sure I'll be taking all that much in the way of pictures(I'm just not a photo person really, and I'm enough of a computer geek to think... besides, someone already took a better pic of it than I ever would that's somewhere online ).

But I'm in Hong Kong for another hour or so(came here from Seoul late last night), off to Bali, then back to Hong Kong, then to LA, then Las Vegas, then New York(friends and family), down to St John in the Caribbean, back to New York, over to Madrid, by train to Lisbon and surrounds and then back to Madrid, fly to Barcelona, then family cruise to Nice, Florence, Rome, Naples, Santorini, Athens, Dubrovnik, and Venice, fly to Helsinki, over to St. Petersburg, back to Helsinki, and finally back to Seoul. And as a small plug if you've got the time(teacher vacations really are great ), the One World Alliance Round the World fares are a really nice deal. It was only a little bit more to do all those flights than it would have been to do just round trip New York back to Seoul.

Was surprised Spain struggled so much with Sweden. The Swedes really weren't given much respect at all coming into the tourney(including by myself). But they have seemed like the other team that will emerge from Group D with Spain.

But now its time to finalize the quarterfinal matchups.

If you missed the last 15 minutes of the Turkey-Czech game...wow. You missed something special. One of the greatest comebacks I've seen in a long while!

2003-2004 HLM

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    If you missed the last 15 minutes of the Turkey-Czech game...wow. You missed something special. One of the greatest comebacks I've seen in a long while!
    How could someone watch golf this afternoon with a game like that on? HOly cow that was incredible!!

I was half expecting the Czech's to score again in the 95th minute and then go to penalty kicks. Which I expected to more hilarious than dramatic, given the red carded goalie.

Biggest rout of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    How could someone watch golf this afternoon with a game like that on? HOly cow that was incredible!!
    It sure beat the US vs. Barbados 8-0 romp!

Sorry bud, NOTHING beats the 8-0 US romp over Barbados. That was AWESOME! (said in best Chris Farley voice)

As far as excitement, okay, I'll give you that, but I needed to see the USMNT put a hurting on someone, and that they did. I really think playing England, Spain, and Argentina really paid off for us, already. Im going to watch the Turkey match on Tivo this evening.

I slept through the first 20 minutes, woke to find it 3-0 and Freddie Adu coming in. How did he play? He hasn't been getting the general public obsession that he did a few years back. Is he living up tot he hype?