Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Red face 0-0

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    Ugh, pretty ugly performance by Romania IMO. Played way too conservatively(which isn't terribly surprising for a team that hasn't been contending in awhile in the first match of a Euro championship). Plus their set play kicks were off today. Ahhh well, they got the point.

Now we'll see if the Dutch can get the Italians to open up a bit. I'm not sure Italy is going to score at all in the competition.
    Allez les Bleus!

I wish Henry or Vieira had played. Rather lackluster for the French, but Romania was indeed "pretty ugly." The Romanians just packed it in on defense much of the game. "Conservative" is an understatement.

I expect Italy to play the same as the Romanians just did when they play the Dutch.

Technically speaking, has ANYONE had set pieces working in this tourney?
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Well, there's working and there's at least getting the ball into an area of danger. Romania was really not hitting their spots on the kicks(heck, their goalie's footwork was absolutely dreadful on goal kicks or in the course of play). Pretty much none of Romania's corners and free kicks ended up in a challenged header.

And an addition on the ugliness, what game were the refs watching? I think there were at least 5 missed out of bounds deflections, and a few fouls that either were called on minimal contact, or weren't called on pretty solid contact. None of them really were consequential, but still.

Well, the Dutch looked great today and put in the first truly impressive performance of the tournament (with apologies to Portugal and Germany, who handled lesser opponents, Holland destroyed the current World Cup holder).

I agreed with the call on the first goal. Absent a Dutch player pushing the defender out of bounds, he kept all attackers onside. And, the second Dutch goal was a thing of beauty. Total football at its best--perfect spacing, accurate passing, well timed runs on the counter attack, and smart finishing near the goal.

It's only one game, and the Dutch don't have a strong history in these tournaments (at least they're not Spain), but they set a tone today...and I love the blue socks.

You're absolutely correct. A good decision to keep the flag down.

Nice to see the Italians get spanked. Can't stand that side.

Our first signing of the summer! Aaron Ramsey of Cardiff City (Midfielder) has chosen Arsenal over ManU and Everton. This is great news for Arsenal, as everyone had Ramsey slated to end up at Old Trafford next season, but at the last minute, he decided to go to London (and the correct club in London ) I was hoping we would get this kid, and should he live up to his potential, Cesc is going to have another playmaker alongside him soon. Awesome news!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...544826&cc=5901

Red face Let me get this straight...

England was knocked out of a trip to Euro 2008 because of Russia, right?

Better check out what's going on with Spain vs. Russia. Egads!!

Smile I doubt Greece will win Euro 2008

If you had Greece winning another Euro, let's just say don't hold your breath based on their performance against Sweden. Ycch!

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    If you had Greece winning another Euro, let's just say don't hold your breath based on their performance against Sweden. Ycch!
    Careful Lavabe, you're really going out on a limb there and saying Greece won't win it Just messing with ya. But honestly, they weren't expected to win it in 04, their victory was a HUGE upset over the hosts Portugal. I liked what I saw from my pretourney prediction, Spain. Although I am left scratching my head that my boy CF4 can't even crack the starting 11 in Spain, but wins the PFA Young Footballer of the Year award. Explain that one...

My pick, Holland, looked excellent on Monday. They should win the group now, especially with the goal difference they gave themselves and the poor showing France had.

As for Cesc, Spain looked pretty damn good without him, and when he went on, he did score (but was offsides) but it could be deadly for opponents if Cesc is a sub and he will cause chaos for defenses coming on with fresh legs when they are tired. And you know you have a good team when Fabregas is a sub and Raul is at home watching it on TV.

Looks to be the favorites so far, nonetheless its shaping up to be quite a knockout round. Some of the group games are pretty predictable and boring, but I guess that's to be expected in a tournament like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben63 View Post
    My pick, Holland, looked excellent on Monday. They should win the group now, especially with the goal difference they gave themselves and the poor showing France had.

As for Cesc, Spain looked pretty damn good without him, and when he went on, he did score (but was offsides) but it could be deadly for opponents if Cesc is a sub and he will cause chaos for defenses coming on with fresh legs when they are tired. And you know you have a good team when Fabregas is a sub and Raul is at home watching it on TV.

Looks to be the favorites so far, nonetheless its shaping up to be quite a knockout round. Some of the group games are pretty predictable and boring, but I guess that's to be expected in a tournament like this.
    France without Henry was listless. That will be remedied against the Dutch. Henry played well at practice yesterday. Likewise, Vieira looks to be almost fit as well.

Spain looked awesome yesterday. Loved the first goal with the pass from El Nino to David Avilla.

Now wouldn't David Villa look just amazing receiving passes up front from SuperCesc at the Emirates? Sounds like a perfect match to me!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJay View Post
    Now wouldn't David Villa look just amazing receiving passes up front from SuperCesc at the Emirates? Sounds like a perfect match to me!
    Isn't Villa on the market? I can't see a club of Valencia's size not listen to offers from the big boys of England. He'd do well recieving passes from Lampard as well because Drogba is out the door to AC Milan so I hear, and Carvahlo going to Inter looks likely. Rumor has it Essien will be gone too. Major changes at the Bridge this season, and we don't even have a manager. Yikes.

Smile The most wonderful season of the year

Isn't Villa on the market? I can't see a club of Valencia's size not listen to offers from the big boys of England. He'd do well recieving passes from Lampard as well because Drogba is out the door to AC Milan so I hear, and Carvahlo going to Inter looks likely. Rumor has it Essien will be gone too. Major changes at the Bridge this season, and we don't even have a manager. Yikes.
    Essien might be out, but the Liverpool folks would argue, you still have a massive checkbook!

IIRC, Villa is on the market (rumor mill), but I believe that folks said that he wasn't touchable until after Euro 2008.

And you know that Rafa will be looking at him.

Ribery will be an interesting one to watch. He's a monster transfer fee, but I'd love to see El Nino and Ribery up front at Anfield. Expect Crouch to go soon, freeing up money.

Real is laughing off ManU's statement.

Is anyone else out there hoping for a Ronaldo meltdown?

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Last edited by Lavabe; 06-11-2008 at 11:40 AM. Reason: IIRC

It's Spain ... it's a tourney

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJay View Post
    Careful Lavabe, you're really going out on a limb there and saying Greece won't win it Just messing with ya. But honestly, they weren't expected to win it in 04, their victory was a HUGE upset over the hosts Portugal. I liked what I saw from my pretourney prediction, Spain. Although I am left scratching my head that my boy CF4 can't even crack the starting 11 in Spain, but wins the PFA Young Footballer of the Year award. Explain that one...
    I won't be betting Greece anytime soon.

The only problem with Spain, as I could see, is we don't know about their defense. The offense is fantastic.

We are, however, at the phase of the tourney where we don't know whether some of the big scores reflect strong offenses or weak defenses. In Spain vs Russia, it was probably a little of both.

Cesc will get his time. There's only so much firepower you can put up front ... or is there?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

and we don't even have a manager. Yikes.

Nevermind. Luis Scolari was just named Chelsea manager effective July 1. He is the current manager of the Portugal national side.

Can't really complain, a solid hire, but we'll have to see who he signs to really decide of I like him or not.

Even though it should be Avram Grant...

Exclamation If you haven't watched the Swiss vs. Turkey match...

WATCH IT!!

Not the best game of all time, but it had some interesting action.

Nevermind. Luis Scolari was just named Chelsea manager effective July 1. He is the current manager of the Portugal national side.

Can't really complain, a solid hire, but we'll have to see who he signs to really decide of I like him or not.

Even though it should be Avram Grant...
    The Scolari hiring was the best thing that could have happened to Chelsea, of all managers out there they could have gotten. I'll be happy to see him going up against Wenger and Ferguson this coming season. Does anyone else see the resemblence to Gene Hackman? I swear its him! See below a shot of your new manager coaching Keanu Reaves in "The Replacements" followed by a stock photo of him during his time with Portugal. You just hired a movie legend!

And finally one of him coaching Ronaldo. This guy is everywhere!

Exclamation Liverpool news; What's up with Inter?

FIFA sides with Real, not with ManU:
    http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=732881

Not that ManU would tamper with anyone.

According to goal.com, Liverpool (and ManCity) are looking at Inter's Dejan Stankovic. Former Chelsea manager Jose is linked with searches for a few other offensive folks, including Deco and Lampard, making Stankovic available:
    http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=733607

Lampard to Inter?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post

Lampard to Inter?
    NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Don't do it Lamps. Problem is I can see it happen because everyone seemed to love the Special One. I can see Chelsea losing Drogba, Essien, Lampard, Carlvaho, Ferreria, Makalele, Sheva, and possibly Malouda.

To keep the train going Lampard and Terry must be there. They are the ones with experience and the leadership. They are Chelsea right now.

Bosingwa is already in, and the following players have been linked to moves to the Bridge. Remember Chelsea has a roughly 80 million pound budget to work with, and more if they need it.

David Villa
    Franck Ribery
    Kaka
    Deco
    Samuel Eto'o
    Karim Benzema

Chelsea obvoiusly will not get all of these players but probably 2 or 3. Also, not everyone listed will leave either, so I think Chelsea will be okay, but Utd will still be the class of the PL, with or without Ronaldo.