Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Any soccer fans out there?

Are any of you soccer fans as well as Duke Bball fans? Ive been playing and watching soccer since I was 4, and love the sport as much as, if not more, than basketball. Huge fan of Arsenal FC (English Premier League) and of course the US National Team. Just wondered if any of you also follow "the beautiful game" and who are your teams.

although i do not have a favorite team i really enjoy watching Christiano Ronaldo from Manchester United.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonelson View Post
    although i do not have a favorite team i really enjoy watching Christiano Ronaldo from Manchester United.
    I'd probably enjoy watching him a bit more if he didn't play for ManUre. I don't mind watching when he is with Portugal though. Quite a talent for sure.

Wink Merseyside

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJay View Post
    Are any of you soccer fans as well as Duke Bball fans? Ive been playing and watching soccer since I was 4, and love the sport as much as, if not more, than basketball. Huge fan of Arsenal FC (English Premier League) and of course the US National Team. Just wondered if any of you also follow "the beautiful game" and who are your teams.
    You'll never walk alone.

May the better team win in UEFA.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

I follow West Ham-- there's another one on here too (I'm talking to you Forever Blowing Bubbles). So now that Duke Basketball is over, I get to watch West Ham languish in mid-table. Not as exciting as last year but I guess a little stability is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJay View Post
    I've lived in the States since I was three, but was born in North London. My father was a Gunner's fan so bother my brother and I are fans. There is a big game tommorrow vs Liverpool.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    I've lived in the States since I was three, but was born in North London. My father was a Gunner's fan so bother my brother and I are fans. There is a big game tommorrow vs Liverpool.
    Kdogg, awesome! Glad to find a fellow Gooner on the site. As for West Ham, I saw the "Forever Blowing Bubbles" poster which is what made me think to start this thread. The Hammers are a good squad even if they are midtable, and they ALWAYS give us fits home and away it seems. As for Lavabe, good luck over the next three games, but don't forget Arsenal's CL form is quite different from their domestic at the moment. We just finished going to the San Siro and eliminating the holders, and now can go ahead and rid the competition of the previous season's holders as well In all honesty, I see both games as being draws (CL) with Arsenal going through on away goals. League I have a feeling you guys will get the W, but at this point, after we took only 4 pts out of 15 (excluding the AMAZING comeback Sat vs Bolton) I feel our league hopes have been extinguished, and we will go even harder after the one we have never won. Remember, Torres doesn't score away from the Kop

Smile I'm as tall as Crouch

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    I know ... waiting with baited breath for that one.

Truth be told, I really enjoyed Highbury. My wife and I saw a game there with Bergkamp vs. Southampton (LaTiss). Honestly, it was a good time, and REALLY enjoyable. My wife and I would go back in a heartbeat. I would take going to a Premiership game over all but two sporting venues:
    CIS
    Any Triple Crown Race

Is there a Gunners' podcast out there? The NYC Liverpool Supporter''s Club has a wonderful podcast... REALLY neat.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Blue Is The Color

Chelsea fan here. After failing miserably to win the Carling Cup a Champions League cup is in order. Chelsea lost too much ground in the Prem to win it, United is unstoppable, even though they come to the Bridge one more time. Injuries to Petr Cech and Africa Nations Cup killed the Blues, losing Drogba, Kalou, Obi Mikel, and Essien for a month.

Though that win over the Gunner last week was glorious

I'm an American but grew up mainly in London. I am absolutely obsessed with soccer, especially when it comes to US soccer and the EPL. I really wish we could get a solid thread up here about all things soccer.

Also, how ridiculous was that C. Ronaldo goal against Roma today? He completely flew out of nowhere!

Duke in Glasgow will do that to you

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    Duke in Glasgow will do that to you
    Dunno, I did that program, and didn't come away with much of a deeper football appreciation, beyond understanding that the Rangers/Celtic Rivalry may in fact be deeper than the Duke/UNC rivalry.

I was a fan of DC United when I lived there -- seeing a game in RFK on a nice sunny Saturday when the Screaming Eagles were in full force was a LOT of fun. I also saw the very first WUSA game there. Ahh, memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    I know ... waiting with baited breath for that one.

Truth be told, I really enjoyed Highbury. My wife and I saw a game there with Bergkamp vs. Southampton (LaTiss). Honestly, it was a good time, and REALLY enjoyable. My wife and I would go back in a heartbeat. I would take going to a Premiership game over all but two sporting venues:
    CIS
    Any Triple Crown Race

Is there a Gunners' podcast out there? The NYC Liverpool Supporter''s Club has a wonderful podcast... REALLY neat.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Highbury was a wonderful place to watch a match. I was sad to see us leave. Emirates, though, is very impressive. Great sight lines throughout the whole place. Outside of CIS, I think it's the best place to watch a sporting event. Tube access is pretty much the same as Highbury. Post match it's a shuffle to get to the station (Arsenal - Pic). I usually walk to Finsbury Park, but if you want to use the Arsenal station walk past it than swing back around.

Long live the EPL! I adopted Derby County after their stirring play to get them in the league for this year. What a disaster! For a small sum I will switch to a team somebody doesn't like and bring them down as well.

I really don't have a team to call my own, but love to see the second-tier teams beat the big spenders. I work for AIG but can't seem to pull for Man U. But Ronaldo does several amazing things a game whether he scores or not.

For some reason that storky Peter Crouch is one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Long live the EPL! I adopted Derby County after their stirring play to get them in the league for this year. What a disaster! For a small sum I will switch to a team somebody doesn't like and bring them down as well.

I really don't have a team to call my own, but love to see the second-tier teams beat the big spenders. I work for AIG but can't seem to pull for Man U. But Ronaldo does several amazing things a game whether he scores or not.

For some reason that storky Peter Crouch is one of my favorites.
    Peter Crouch's other half is one of my favorites, Abby Clancy

I watched the first ever MLS games when I was a kid and I sure hope that the San Jose Earthquakes can make a good comeback!

The first team I ever rooted for was Blackburn Rovers and I also follow Monarcas Morelia in the Mexican League. For the Champions League, I support the English teams and Barcelona.

Smile Welcome to the DBR!

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    I watched the first ever MLS games when I was a kid and I sure hope that the San Jose Earthquakes can make a good comeback!

The first team I ever rooted for was Blackburn Rovers and I also follow Monarcas Morelia in the Mexican League. For the Champions League, I support the English teams and Barcelona.
    Wow ... post #1 goes to the soccer thread! Nice work!!

First team I ever rooted for was ... NASL COSMOS. Ricky Davis came to our school to talk about soccer. This was while the Cosmos played at Randall's Island (sp?). Later they brought in Pele, Franz, Giorgio, Carlos Alberto, and everyone. They moved to the Meadowlands, and brought us Saturday 6PM televised recaps of Bundesliga and English Premier League (Division One).

I adopted Liverpool in 1989, while listening to BBC World Service shortwave.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Talking Obvious response

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    You could do us all a favor, and start rooting for the Holes!

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    You could do us all a favor, and start rooting for the Holes!
    If it will work, maybe I can be hypnotized .

And to BlueDevilJay: Crouch has very good taste! I had to google Abby Clancy to find out who she is, and she is well worth googling!! Alas, I read the Gerrard jersey offer too late. DVR'd the match. Arsenal thoroughly outplayed Liverpool.

Yeah words can't quite describe how gutted I am that we aren't heading to the Kop with a 2-1 or even 3-1 lead. How much more dominant can we be without scoring?? Normally Arsenal are accused of trying to dribble the ball into the net, but that wasn't the case today, it was more unlucky than anything. And on Bendtner's save, for some reason the commentator said he was offside, but there was a defender ON THE GOAL LINE, but they still flagged for offsides anyways...Ive been in the sport for nearly 30 years, but am I missing something on the offside rule? There was a defender behind him.

Regardless, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. RVP should have killed the match off after supersub Walcott sent him through with one of his trademark speed dashes to the touchline, then cut it back for RVP in front of net...and he totally bottled the chance.

Oh well, I know Pool fans will take it, but I think Arsenal are still in good shape despite failing to kill the tie off at home. We did the same with Milan earlier, dominated them at home, went to San Siro needing to do the same thing, and did it in style. The Kop dind't keep many of our shots out last season in a FA and Carling sweep within 3 days, and I think we are going through with either a 1-0 or 2-1 scoreline in 6 days. Liverpool never even LOOKED like scoring yesterday and their lone goal was the result of a lucky bounce (similar to Fabregas' goal at the Reebok on Saturday). For all the grief Gallas gets, he did a number on Torres yesterday.

Up the Arsenal, Come on YOU GOONERS!!!!