Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Yeah, I realized that about half an hour after I posted(and honestly, wasn't paying all that much attention to that game as the other match was considerably more interesting). No great shock that they advanced, though they struggled more than they should have. I haven't seen Barca play much this year, but I know at least Man U has looked a good deal stronger than what I've seen from Chelsea and Liverpool of late(and yes, there are matches to be played tonight, but does anyone really expect Roma or Schalke to pull it out on the road?).

Ahhh well, now to read up on some Arsenal pouting .

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    With England out of Euro 2008, it's going to be a long spell without football for me.
    This seems to be the bigger issue. Still can't believe this.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    This seems to be the bigger issue. Still can't believe this.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Not a big deal, the Brits have been overrated since some time shortly after 1966...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJay View Post
    Are any of you soccer fans as well as Duke Bball fans? Ive been playing and watching soccer since I was 4, and love the sport as much as, if not more, than basketball. Huge fan of Arsenal FC (English Premier League) and of course the US National Team. Just wondered if any of you also follow "the beautiful game" and who are your teams.
    Die hard fan of Real Madrid and USA Men. I cheer hard for DC United...I've followed them since the MLS started, but really started attending games and such last summer when I moved up here. I follow Chelsea in the EPL. Soccer is probably the sport (outside of basketball) that I watch the most. I mean, I probably watch about 12-15 hours a week of soccer on average (not counting "Dream Team", my soccer soap opera that airs on FSC with my favorite fictional team, Harchester United).
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Im a big Harchester Utd fan too dude!

That being said, Im absolutely gutted about yesterday. Allowing myself to calm down a bit before posting helped I suppose. I was ticked about the penalty given, which still was not a penalty, but either way, we didn't finish the chances we had which would have made that a moot point. Oh well, another season without silverware for the Gunners, maybe next year.

Wink Yes, but...

Oh well, another season without silverware for the Gunners, maybe next year.
    At least y'all have won EPL/FA silverware lately, compared with my team. Kop-ites are proud of the CL success, but would kill for another taste of English honors.

And you have stable management.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Im a big Harchester Utd fan too dude!
    The Dragon's Lair!!!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Are any of you soccer fans as well as Duke Bball fans?

COYS!

Quote Originally Posted by GDT View Post

COYS!

Dude...Im sorry, but that should seriously be looked into as child abuse right there :P Spuds??? Sp*rs??? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! (of course, I jest...kinda

Wink North London Deby

Dude...Im sorry, but that should seriously be looked into as child abuse right there :P Spuds??? Sp*rs??? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! (of course, I jest...kinda
    It only took HOW long before a response from a Gunners fan?

FWIW, I think we have now passed the length of any previous soccer thread on the OTB.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

P.S. the title is North London Derby
    Last edited by Lavabe; 04-11-2008 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Derby

It only took HOW long before a response from a Gunners fan?

FWIW, I think we have now passed the length of any previous soccer thread on the OTB.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

P.S. the title is North London Derby
    Besides... at least that baby can talk about bringing home a trophy this year

Yeah, true. That Carling Cup is something they should display with honor, since they can't even qualify for the other big tournaments.

Lavabe, why the correction for the Derby? Did someone misspell it somewhere?

Red face Edit feature foibles

Yeah, true. That Carling Cup is something they should display with honor, since they can't even qualify for the other big tournaments.

Lavabe, why the correction for the Derby? Did someone misspell it somewhere?
    I always look at the main body of text before sending it in. I then noticed that I misspelled Derby in the title. EGADS! You can't use the edit feature for the title.

Just for clarification sake: it's pronounced DAR-bee in Britain, but DERRR-bee in Kentucky.

Spurs have been VERY peculiar this year.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    Besides... at least that baby can talk about bringing home a trophy this year
    What he said.

I always look at the main body of text before sending it in. I then noticed that I misspelled Derby in the title. EGADS! You can't use the edit feature for the title.

Just for clarification sake: it's pronounced DAR-bee in Britain, but DERRR-bee in Kentucky.

Spurs have been VERY peculiar this year.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    I gotcha, I rarely ever even notice the "Title" in people's posts, so I didn't see it. And yeah, people around here ask me when I write it on my white board here at the office, "What's a DURBEE??" to which I then correct them by saying DAHRBEE, and explain it to them.

Re: Spurs, being that I'm not from London or anything, I really don't have the deep seeded hatred that locals there do, BUT I find it humorous about their fans crowing over a 5-1 beating of Arsenal in a meaningless cup competition where we typically field a squad of mainly reserves, AND its the first time in 9 years they have beaten us in anything. But as far as the teams I despise, I'd put Chelski and ManURE way up there above Sp*ds. Liverpool is challenging there now though, after the crap I'm getting from their fans over Tuesday, when I'm sorry, but I will never concede that was a penalty, and I think deep down, Pool fans know it wasn't. Saying it wasn't but oh well what can you do is one thing, but to gloat in my face when the refs handed that match to them sets me off. (Not saying you've done that because you haven't, but a couple of guys here at work are about to get floored if they decide to get in my face about it again)

I am admittedly on the Chelsea bandwagon. I also have to go purchase New England Revolution tickets so that I might be able to see David Beckham play in person in my lifetime.

The Gunners really could have helped my beloved Blues today, but once again Utd. had to crush the hope of the Gunners and Chelsea. A draw and an easy Chelsea win over Wigan tomorrow would have left the Blues a point behind and ManU and Chelsea still have to play each other. A championship game for sure. There would have been a Chelsea/Utd championship last year but the Blues had to draw against Newcastle to stay 4 pts back goin into the game.

Sorry for the rambling and thanks alot to the damn Gooners.

Smile Liverpool 3-1 over Blackburn and Brad Freidel

Quote Originally Posted by Ben63 View Post
    The Gunners really could have helped my beloved Blues today, but once again Utd. had to crush the hope of the Gunners and Chelsea. A draw and an easy Chelsea win over Wigan tomorrow would have left the Blues a point behind and ManU and Chelsea still have to play each other. A championship game for sure. There would have been a Chelsea/Utd championship last year but the Blues had to draw against Newcastle to stay 4 pts back goin into the game.

Sorry for the rambling and thanks alot to the damn Gooners.
    Meanwhile, the Kop-ites are halfway between Everton and Arsenal, in fourth place (enough to qualify for CL). 5 pts out of Arsenal, with matches left against Fulham, ManCity, Birmingham City, and Spurs. What's left for Gunners in the EPL?

FWIW, Derby is just plain sad. Who's coming up for the next season?
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

FWIW, Derby is just plain sad. Who's coming up for the next season?
    Any chance they pick up 5 more points to not be the worst Prem team ever?? They have 11 and the record for fewest is 15. Four matches remain.

@ West Ham
    Arsenal
    @Blackburn
    Reading

I say no, they may pick up 3 against Reading but thats it.

As for next year, Stoke and West Brom are the top two, and have been the best all year. Others in contention are: Bristol City, Hull, Watford, and Crystal Palace.

Of course, the bigger question to me is what happens to the group of Americans sitting in the relegation zone. Fulham have games vs Liverpool, Man City, Birmingham, and Portsmouth to go, and still sit 4 points below the line after picking up a desperately needed win. Its not actually inconceivable that they could surive, especially if they could pick up points against Liverpool. Ridiculous you say? Perhaps, but remember that the Tuesday after that game, Liverpool and Chelsea will tackle in leg 1 of their Champions League semifinal. So guess where there focus will be(and perhaps, which players will be rested ahead of that match). Hmmm... sounds a bit like last year, doesn't it?