Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Suggestions for Atlanta?

I am going to Atlanta for the 2012 State Farm Champions Classic and am seeking suggestions.

1. Does anyone have any suggestions for dining - nothing too fancy/dressy. We are staying at the Omni CNN Plaza.

2. Any sightseeing suggestions? We are not planning on renting a car - although driving out to see my old house and elementary school would be fun. We are thinking of CNN tour and Coke. Really only have Tuesday before game time as we arrive Monday afternoon and have to return on Wednesday morning.

I will feel better when I actually have the tickets in my hands but that is up to the KU athletic dept. (That's the bad news - will be sitting in the KU section. At least we aren't playing them so I can root for the Jayhawks and hope that they will root for Duke instead of Kentucky.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I am going to Atlanta for the 2012 State Farm Champions Classic and am seeking suggestions.

1. Does anyone have any suggestions for dining - nothing too fancy/dressy. We are staying at the Omni CNN Plaza.

2. Any sightseeing suggestions? We are not planning on renting a car - although driving out to see my old house and elementary school would be fun. We are thinking of CNN tour and Coke. Really only have Tuesday before game time as we arrive Monday afternoon and have to return on Wednesday morning.

I will feel better when I actually have the tickets in my hands but that is up to the KU athletic dept. (That's the bad news - will be sitting in the KU section. At least we aren't playing them so I can root for the Jayhawks and hope that they will root for Duke instead of Kentucky.

Thanks in advance.
    Georgia Aquarium.

Botanical gardens-near Emory, IIRC. It was a long time ago that we visited.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Georgia Aquarium.

Botanical gardens-near Emory, IIRC. It was a long time ago that we visited.
    I think the Botanical Gardens are is on the backside of Piedmont Park in midtown. Atlanta is tough without a vehicle, though -- the MARTA is not like DC, NYC or Boston's subway systems. Very limited.

The High Museum is close to a MARTA stop and often has interesting exhibits.

The Georgia Aquarium is walking distance from CNN.

For restaurant ideas, you may want to pick up The Creative Loafing if it still prints or is online (a weekly free newspaper). Not sure what is down where you are -- it is not a residential area -- but great restaurants in Virginia-Highlands and Buckhead if you want to catch a cab.

The Aquarium, which is an easy walk from CNN Center (the walk takes you through Olympic Park, which is kinda cool too -- better in warm weather), is a must-see. It is probably the best aquarium in the world. Plan on half-day there, at least. World of Coke, which can also be walked to, but is a bit futher away, is also really cool. World of Coke is right next to Underground Atlanta, a complex of shops and restaurants underneath a section of city streets. There are plenty of decent restaurants in that area. Nothing fabulous, but you can google Underground Atlanta and see some of the options.

Food options within walking distance of CNN Center are not great. There are lots of ok places, but few that are memorable. McCormick & Schmick's is an ok seafood place. You could do worse. There is a Ruth's Criss steakhouse within easy walking distance of CNN Center -- pricey, but they do good steaks. There are a few ok sports bar kinda places in the area. Taco Mac (which does not serve Tacos) is a fun place to get some wings and burgers.

That's about it walking distance. If you are willing to use a cab, it opens up a bevy of options. Tell me what kind of food you like and I can recommend some real finds... but you will need to cab it, for sure.

If you feel really adventurous, you could try taking a cab a few miles East and try to eat at Ann's Snack Bar which has been dubbed the Best Hamburger in America. If you decide to go, make sure you show up early to stand in line and you must, must, must obey the rules or she will kick you out (she's the Soup Nazi, but with burgers). By the way, many Atlantans think The Vortex (also just a few miles away), is the best burger in town, better than Ann's, and the people watching at The Vortex is fun. I love them both. There is a burger place called Flip Burger, which has unique burgers and serves milkshakes of the strangest variety, including Krispie Kreme and Peanut Butter and Marshmallow, which is also worth checking out.

A visit to Atlanta without a pilgrimage to The Varsity for chili dogs, chili burgers, fried peach pies, and onion rings would be a sin... though your stomach and arteries would thank you if you passed on it.

Finally, if you want a somewhat genuine Southern experience, I also highly recommend hopping in a cab and going over to Ponce de Leon drive to eat at Merry Mac's Tea Room. Again, your arteries will rebel on you, but the Southern food there is pretty solid. After your meal (even if you eat the delicious cobbler for dessert) you are required to walk across the street (about 2 blocks to the East) to grab some "Hot Now" Krispie Kreme doughnuts at one of the largest Kripie Kreme stores around. You can easily spend an hour watching the doughnuts get cooked. It is just magical.

-Jason "it all depends on what kind of food you like... I can recommend 20 different places" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The Aquarium, which is an easy walk from CNN Center (the walk takes you through Olympic Park, which is kinda cool too -- better in warm weather), is a must-see. It is probably the best aquarium in the world. Plan on half-day there, at least. World of Coke, which can also be walked to, but is a bit futher away, is also really cool. World of Coke is right next to Underground Atlanta, a complex of shops and restaurants underneath a section of city streets. There are plenty of decent restaurants in that area. Nothing fabulous, but you can google Underground Atlanta and see some of the options.
    Jason, I haven't lived in Atlanta for 6 years, but I am pretty sure they moved the World of Coke right next to the Aquarium several years ago.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Jason, I haven't lived in Atlanta for 6 years, but I am pretty sure they moved the World of Coke right next to the Aquarium several years ago.
    They did, and like the Aquarium it is an easy walk from the CNN Center. The old one was next to Underground -- is Underground still open? Haven't been to that part of town in years -- there were a few good restaurants and a blues bar in there, but last I saw there was a Hooters and not much else (maybe a Johnny Rockets?). That was probably ten years ago.

Regarding the Varsity, well -- it is a landmark in the same way that the first Waffle House is a landmark somewhere. It is an Atlanta institution; it is nasty chili dogs and an orange soda. You can go there to go there, but the hot dog or burger you grill in your back yard is much much better. There are many who would consider my comments to be heresy, but there you have it.

Midtown has some nice spots as well.

Wow--- I knew they moved World of Coke, but blanked on it. Heck, I have been to the new World of Coke next to the Aquarium. The architect who designed it has a son in my son's class at school. Duuuuh! Wake up Jason.

Ok, so you need to spend a day at Aquarium and World of Coke.

I agree that The Varsity is lousy food -- though I really enjoy their chili dogs with the impossibly soft buns -- but it is a landmark and an institution.

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Within the downtown area, try and check out the Sweet Auburn Curb Market. It is very cool and there are some great places to eat inside (just go during the day as it is only open for lunch). IMO, the best fried chicken in town is a short cab ride from down town at a place called Paschals. Paschals was one of MLK Jr.'s hangouts (although the current location moved from the original location).

If you decide to go to Anns Snack Shack (a neat experience), but it turns out the lines are too long, you are only about a mile and a half from Six Feet Under which conveniently overlooks the Oakland Cemetery. Walking through the cemetery is very cool, as some great Atlanta dignitaries are buried there. You should look for Bobby Jones' grave - you can identify it because people always leave golf balls on his grave.

Otherwise, Atlanta is slim pickings on the tourism side. Both the Virginia Highland neighborhood and Inman Park are great in town neighborhoods that are very walkable and quaint (and only a couple miles from downtown).

I happen to live right in-town in Atlanta, and am happy to offer recomendations in and around Atlanta for some great food and other opportunities. Please feel free to message me with any questions.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Taco Mac (which does not serve Tacos) is a fun place to get some wings and burgers.
    Taco Mac, for my money, has the best wings in town (order them extra crispy). And yes, they absolutely do serve tacos (something of a legend regarding their name).

I'd second Jason's recommendation to hop a cab. Ann's Snack Bar is every bit as good as advertised, though not much to look at (its appearance has scared off more than one supposed foodie that I know).
    The Vortex is pretty good, among the better burgers in town, but slightly overrated. The burger is meaty and the combinations of toppings are excellent, but the patty itself is nothing all that special. It does have a fantastic beer list, though, and great people watching. Be sure to go to the original location on Moreland Avenue, though...it's in the "Little Five Points" neighborhood, our hippie/hipster enclave which is a pretty good slice of Atlanta culture. There are several other good restaurant options in Little Five too. My two top recs would be The Porter, a gastropub/beer bar, and the Wrecking Bar, a fancy brewpub housed in a restored old house at the southern edge of Little Five Points. They brew their own beer and, in my opinion, have the best burger in Atlanta (which is saying quite a bit, because there are lots of good ones around town).

Away from Little Five, you could try Virginia-Highland, one of the hip intown bar/shopping/restaurant districts. There, you'll find the original Taco Mac, Fontaine's (a great oyster bar with excellent weekday specials), and Manuel's, a pub and Atlanta institution (plus the unofficial home of Georgia's Democrats...look for Jimmy Carter and JFK's likenesses hanging over the bar). Irrespective of your political leanings, you'll find tons of good pub food there. There are also numerous other food options in Virginia-Highland (named for the two streets that cross in the heart of the neighborhood), and it's a very pleasant neighborhood to stroll in if you enjoy window shopping and house-watching.

As for things to do, I'd second the aquarium if you're into that sort of thing. I've been at least a dozen times now, and it's still a fun outing (if slightly pricey). The new World of Coke is right next door (opened 3 or 4 years ago) and is also enjoyable if you're interested in Coke and/or Atlanta history.
    Beyond that, I'd also recommend the High Museum of Art. It's a very cool building (same architect as the Getty in LA), with good permanent and traveling exhibitions. It's also a stone's throw from Piedmont Park, considered by many to be Atlanta's heart and soul. For people (and dog) watching, it's hard to beat, and it affords expanses of green space and nice skyline views.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Wrecking Bar, a fancy brewpub housed in a restored old house at the southern edge of Little Five Points. They brew their own beer and, in my opinion, have the best burger in Atlanta (which is saying quite a bit, because there are lots of good ones around town).
    To take this a little off-topic, I have to disagree with you. For my money, Boccado, on the Westside, is the city's best burger. Muss & Turner's in Vinings comes in at number 2 (assuming you want to disqualify H&F because of the difficulty of attaining a burger - they only serve 25 a night, and only starting at 10 pm). The 4 Seasons Burger Bar (Wednesday, lunch time) comes in at number 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    To take this a little off-topic, I have to disagree with you. For my money, Boccado, on the Westside, is the city's best burger. Muss & Turner's in Vinings comes in at number 2 (assuming you want to disqualify H&F because of the difficulty of attaining a burger - they only serve 25 a night, and only starting at 10 pm). The 4 Seasons Burger Bar (Wednesday, lunch time) comes in at number 3.
    I've not tried Bocado and have added it to my list. I've heard good things about 4 Seasons too, but I'm a teacher and can rarely get there at the appointed time (though I'll do so during Thanksgiving or Christmas break this year). I still stand by The Wrecking Bar too.
    Try Sunday brunch for a Holeman & Finch burger. It's pretty much always on the menu then.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post

Thanks in advance.

I highly recommend the Center for Puppetry Arts as an awesome bang for the buck. http://www.puppet.org/ They're doing their Halloween shows which are always fun. It's the same MARTA stop as the High Museum so you could easily combine the two if you wanted.

The World of Coke is ridiculously overpriced these days. Something like $30 a person. It's fun to do once, but be prepared for the kids to be unbelievably hopped up on sugar. I'd do the Aquarium before the WoC.

If the weather's nice, a picnic in Centennial Park is good.

Thanks for the suggestions - please keep them coming. I'll share the info with the others in our group.

My Atlanta days were many years ago - and I don't think 3rd grade gives you a good idea of places for adults to visit when they are in town. I seem to recall field trips to the state capital and the home of the writer of the Uncle Remus stories.

onion rings at the Varsity..
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

True ATLien

Atlanta lifer here.

I do not mean to be a d*ck, but a lot of these suggestions are the standard touristy suggestions that people get when they come to Atlanta, then they leave our fine city thinking that we are not the actual cosmopolitan metropolis of the south that we really are.

I just feel that many of these suggestions are things that have been recommended for the last 30 years (ie Mary Macs, The Varsity) and in the meantime Atlanta has grown up. I do not know the last time any of my family or friends, also Atlanta lifers, have actually visited these establishments. They are Atlanta institutions for sure, but if you want the finest that my beautiful city has to offer, please skip them.

Things that I would recommend:

Fellini's Pizza
    909 Ponce De Leon Ave NE
    Atlanta, GA 30306

--This location only. Open until 2 AM. Best NY style cheese slice in the world. Don't laugh. No joke. I've been to NY and did a study abroad in Italy. I have been eating this pie since it was .90/slice in 7th grade. It's up to $2.05/slice now. Best pizza on the planet, as far as a cheese slice goes.

Antico Pizza
    1093 Hemphill Ave NW
    Atlanta, GA 30318

--Best pie in the city, hands down.

2 Outstanding Gastropubs that won't break the bank:

The Porter Beer Bar
    1156 Euclid Ave
    Atlanta, GA 31136

--My favorite burger in the city. Twice as good as the Vortex. Vortex service is crap and they allow smoking. The tables in the smoking section are 2 feet from the non-smoking section. AVOID!!!!
    Best beer selection in the city. The beer menu is on a clipboard, it is so giant. Stay for the Mac and Cheese, Reuben, Brats. I will say that the quality on some of the specials has suffered a bit in the past year, but the food is still way above average. The chef that opened The Porter cut his teeth at Bacchanalia, Atlanta's first Farm to Table establishment, which has also been the cities best restaurant for almost 20 years.

Young Augustine's
    327 Memorial Dr
    Atlanta, GA 30312

--Best sandwich in town is their short rib and pimento cheese. I highly recommend this sandwich, as it comes out perfect every time. The burger is hit or miss. Great beer selection.

Ria's Bluebird Cafe
    421 Memorial Dr SE
    Atlanta, GA 30312

--Great time of year for Ria's as they have outside seating and it gets CROWDED. "Best pancakes in the world" -New York Times
    FWIW, Ria trained up at Bacchanalia too.

Holeman & Finch Public House
    2277 Peachtree Rd NE
    Atlanta, GA 30309

--Just to throw you a wild card... they release 25 of their mythic burgers at 10 PM, nightly. Arrive at just the right moment to get one and you're in burger Valhalla.

Sites:

Oakland Cemetery
    248 Oakland Ave SE
    Atlanta, GA 30312

--Part cemetery, part public park. Some famous peeps underground here. Right across the street from Ria's and Young Augustine's. One of the oldest spots in the ATL.

MLK Center
    450 Auburn Ave NE
    Atlanta, GA 30312

--A must see for any American. Beautiful still pool, statue of Ghandi, and cross the street to see Ebenezer Baptist where the man preached. The house he was born in is just down the street.

Lenox Square Mall
    3393 Peachtree Rd NE
    Atlanta, GA 30326

--Yeah, I know... still, The Mecca of shopping in Atlanta. Every store in the world. It just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Great people watching. To me... more fun than the Aquarium. Two Adidas stores in one mall, it's that huge!

Neighborhood: East Atlanta, Little 5 Points, Virginia Highlands
    --East Atlanta is the more lively, progressive neighborhood that Little 5 Points was 20 years ago. L5P is OK, but it's pretty much 20 of the same store selling the same incense, Bob Marley tees, crystals, band posters, and garters. L5P was the home of skaters and punks back in the day, but was somewhat commercialized when Junkman's Daughter bought up all of the other small thrift shops and began charging mall prices for "vintage". A truly great bar for bands, where I first saw the Indigo Girls in 1987, The Point, closed down, and to me, pretty much ended L5P reign as the "cool" neighborhood in the A.

East Atlanta is home of the hipsters, if you are into that kind of thing. Little 5 is now just the home of the homeless and poser skate kids. I just call it like it is.

Virginia Highlands is an absolutely beautiful and safe neighborhood to take a walk in, and a few blocks away from Atlanta's greatest green space: Piedmont Park. Inman Park is also a beautiful walk and very close to the absolutely gorgeous Jimmy Carter Center and Library. Jimmer still has a mean at Manuel's, right down the street, from time to time, although the place is quite a dive!

The Botanical Gardens that hug the north face of Piedmont Park are AMAZING, but expensive. I believe it is $22 to get in now. I would be there once a month if they still had the free Thursday every month, but alas, that ended long ago. Still, to me, money much better spent than World of Coke or The Aquarium.

Final thoughts: World of Coke is basically you paying $20-30 to watch a big ad for Coke and drink a bunch of free coke. I guess if it sounds like fun, do it, but please do not think you are experiencing the best that Atlanta has to offer. For $30/person take MARTA to the MLK stop, check out the King Center, Krog Street Tunnel (ATL's best street art... google it!), Oakland Cemetery, and have that short rib sandwich and a few brews at Young Augustines. The Aquarium is OK, but to me it's just a big crowded fish tank. I was very excited when it opened and have not been back. INCREDIBLY crowded... as in wait in a long line, get in, force your way through people to the glass to see the fish, eat a mediocre fish sandwich for whatever a mediocre fish sandwich goes for when you are stuck in the Aquarium, hungry from waiting around so long to see fishes, with no other food options.

Please message me with questions/concerns. I LOVE Atlanta, and it pains me when people don't get to experience what the city is really all about when they eat a crappy chili dog at the Varsity and get hosed at The World of Coke. Again, do not mean to attack anyone, or be an a*s, I am just speaking as a proud Atlantan.

Haha ... starting a post with "I do not mean t be a d*ck" is like starting a conversation with "Don't take this personally".

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Atlanta lifer here.

I do not mean to be a d*ck, but a lot of these suggestions are the standard touristy suggestions that people get when they come to Atlanta, then they leave our fine city thinking that we are not the actual cosmopolitan metropolis of the south that we really are.

I just feel that many of these suggestions are things that have been recommended for the last 30 years (ie Mary Macs, The Varsity) and in the meantime Atlanta has grown up. I do not know the last time any of my family or friends, also Atlanta lifers, have actually visited these establishments. They are Atlanta institutions for sure, but if you want the finest that my beautiful city has to offer, please skip them.
    You go to the Varsity to say you went there, same with Mary Macs and the Vortex. Plus, the Vortex has one of the better comedy clubs in the back (the midtown location)

Things that I would recommend:

Fellini's Pizza
    909 Ponce De Leon Ave NE
    Atlanta, GA 30306

--This location only. Open until 2 AM. Best NY style cheese slice in the world. Don't laugh. No joke. I've been to NY and did a study abroad in Italy. I have been eating this pie since it was .90/slice in 7th grade. It's up to $2.05/slice now. Best pizza on the planet, as far as a cheese slice goes.

Antico Pizza
    1093 Hemphill Ave NW
    Atlanta, GA 30318

--Best pie in the city, hands down.
    Felinis is good not great. Its no better than Mellow Mushroom. Antico is fantastic. The pizza is good, but the atmosphere is awesome. In fact, one of my favorite nights out is to go to Antico for pizza and then head over to the Northside Tavern for an evening of Blues. If you like the Blues (and you don't mind a smokey bar), the Northside Tavern is the place to be. It is a total dive that looks condemned from the outside, but rocks deep into the night and will leave you with a smile on your face for days.

Holeman & Finch Public House
    2277 Peachtree Rd NE
    Atlanta, GA 30309

--Just to throw you a wild card... they release 25 of their mythic burgers at 10 PM, nightly. Arrive at just the right moment to get one and you're in burger Valhalla.
    Mythic burger, but not the best in the city. If you aren't looking for a burger, the rest of the menu is, imo, strange. Lots of better, and more accessible places, to spend an evening. Also, I disagree about the best sandwich in Atlanta recomendation - that goes to Muss & Turners for their Thanksgiving Sandwich, in my opinion.

Sites:

Oakland Cemetery
    248 Oakland Ave SE
    Atlanta, GA 30312

--Part cemetery, part public park. Some famous peeps underground here. Right across the street from Ria's and Young Augustine's. One of the oldest spots in the ATL.

MLK Center
    450 Auburn Ave NE
    Atlanta, GA 30312

--A must see for any American. Beautiful still pool, statue of Ghandi, and cross the street to see Ebenezer Baptist where the man preached. The house he was born in is just down the street.

Lenox Square Mall
    3393 Peachtree Rd NE
    Atlanta, GA 30326

--Yeah, I know... still, The Mecca of shopping in Atlanta. Every store in the world. It just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Great people watching. To me... more fun than the Aquarium. Two Adidas stores in one mall, it's that huge!
    Agree on Oakland Cemetery and MLK center. STAY AWAY FROM LENOX MALL. It is a disaster and I am sure there is shopping from wherevery you are coming.

Neighborhood: East Atlanta, Little 5 Points, Virginia Highlands
    --East Atlanta is the more lively, progressive neighborhood that Little 5 Points was 20 years ago. L5P is OK, but it's pretty much 20 of the same store selling the same incense, Bob Marley tees, crystals, band posters, and garters. L5P was the home of skaters and punks back in the day, but was somewhat commercialized when Junkman's Daughter bought up all of the other small thrift shops and began charging mall prices for "vintage". A truly great bar for bands, where I first saw the Indigo Girls in 1987, The Point, closed down, and to me, pretty much ended L5P reign as the "cool" neighborhood in the A.

East Atlanta is home of the hipsters, if you are into that kind of thing. Little 5 is now just the home of the homeless and poser skate kids. I just call it like it is.

Virginia Highlands is an absolutely beautiful and safe neighborhood to take a walk in, and a few blocks away from Atlanta's greatest green space: Piedmont Park. Inman Park is also a beautiful walk and very close to the absolutely gorgeous Jimmy Carter Center and Library. Jimmer still has a mean at Manuel's, right down the street, from time to time, although the place is quite a dive!
    Just to needle a little, since you are an "ATLien Lifer", any true Atlantan knows it is the Virginia-Highland neighborhood ("VaHi"), as in, the intersection of Virginia and Highland. There is no "s". East Atlanta is ok, and the EARL (East Atlanta Restaurant and Lounge) is a great burger (though very smokey), but for someone who doesn't know the area, it can get a little dangerous if you take a wrong turn. Don't waste your time in L5P. VaHi is the city's "best" neighborhood to walk around in.

The Botanical Gardens that hug the north face of Piedmont Park are AMAZING, but expensive. I believe it is $22 to get in now. I would be there once a month if they still had the free Thursday every month, but alas, that ended long ago. Still, to me, money much better spent than World of Coke or The Aquarium.
    I guess we disagree on the Acquarium. The Atlanta Acquarium is world renowned and to call it a "big fish tank" doesn't nearly get to the full effect of what it offers. Plus, it is right by Centennial Park (the park built for the Olympics in 1996) and has lots of good dining options in the vicinity. PLUS, it is walkable from the Omni hotel.

Final thoughts: World of Coke is basically you paying $20-30 to watch a big ad for Coke and drink a bunch of free coke. I guess if it sounds like fun, do it, but please do not think you are experiencing the best that Atlanta has to offer. For $30/person take MARTA to the MLK stop, check out the King Center, Krog Street Tunnel (ATL's best street art... google it!), Oakland Cemetery, and have that short rib sandwich and a few brews at Young Augustines. The Aquarium is OK, but to me it's just a big crowded fish tank. I was very excited when it opened and have not been back. INCREDIBLY crowded... as in wait in a long line, get in, force your way through people to the glass to see the fish, eat a mediocre fish sandwich for whatever a mediocre fish sandwich goes for when you are stuck in the Aquarium, hungry from waiting around so long to see fishes, with no other food options.
    Agreed, World of Coke is overpriced, unless you have kids, in which case they will think it is the coolest thing on earth. Krog tunnel is just a short tunnel with graffiti art. Its cool, but takes all of 5/10 minutes to look at.

One thing not mentioned yet, and I only bold it so it doesn't get lost in this email, is something near and dear to everyone on this board. The best BBQ in town in Fox Brothers, which is on the backside of the Inman Park neighborhood. DEFINITELY worth a visit.
    Last edited by Channing; 10-31-2012 at 09:30 AM.

One thing not mentioned yet, and I only bold it so it doesn't get lost in this email, is something near and dear to everyone on this board. The best BBQ in town in Fox Brothers, which is on the backside of the Inman Park neighborhood. DEFINITELY worth a visit.
    Just want to chime in with an A-MEN!!!! Love me some Fox Bros. Lots of good BBQ around the city, but Fox is #1 in my mind.

-Jason "mmmm, may need to make a FB pilgrimage some time soon" Evans

Haha ... starting a post with "I do not mean t be a d*ck" is like starting a conversation with "Don't take this personally".
    And starting a post laughing at someone is a nice way to go about it?

Just to needle a little, since you are an "ATLien Lifer", any true Atlantan knows it is the Virginia-Highland neighborhood ("VaHi"), as in, the intersection of Virginia and Highland.[/B]
    You are quoting "ATLien Lifer" when that term never actually appeared in my post and you want to argue about a single letter?

You are correct that the neighborhood is technically "Virginia Highland", but as an Atlanta lifer, and having lived in the neighborhood for many years, I can tell you that more people actually say Highlands with an s than without an s. This is probably due to the fact the neighborhood is most commonly referred to as simply "The Highlands", so when people mean to say Virginia Highland, that s slips out on the Highland part. If you walk to the intersection of Virginia Ave. and N. Highland and randomly ask someone "Where am I?", I'd put money on that person answering "Virginia Highlands".

I'm happy to needle right back. Fox Bros. is on the backside of the Candler Park neighborhood. Inman Park is confined to the area west of Moreland Ave.

Muss and Turner's is in Smyrna, and solidly outside the perimeter. It would be difficult to argue that they have the best sandwich in Atlanta, unless you are an OTPer, in which case all of your post should be taken with caution.

Venturing over to Northside Tavern is much more dangerous than going to East Atlanta. In East Atlanta, your car gets booted. At Northside Tavern, your car gets broken into... that's the difference. He's going without a car, but that still pretty much tells the story.

Mellow Mushroom does not serve the classic NY slice. They have cornmeal on the bottom of their crust. Fellini's is an amazing NY slice. If you go on a busy Friday or Saturday, when the pizza oven is doing high volume, it is the best NY slice in the world!!!

Yes, I agree that you go to The Varsity/Mary Mac's to say that you have been there. That is the point of my post! Whenever I go to a strange new city and visit all of the standard top ten tourist destinations, I feel like I must be missing out on the really good things that the city has to offer... especially when I eat mediocre, overpriced food at some standard touristy place. I would say that the reason that Atlanta is such a great food town is because we are cutting edge in the farm-to-table and gastropub movements. The Varsity and Mary Macs were probably good back in the 40s, but they're living off of old reputations and are now culturally irrelevant tourist destinations with fair to bad food. I would much rather he go to Fox Bros., Daddy D'z (my favorite BBQ) or any of the other places that I mentioned, and experience the true taste of (21st century) Atlanta.

Enough e-arguing over what is supposed to help out other Duke fans when they come to town! PM sent to discuss a few comments made. I would point out, though, that limiting Atlanta food to ITP excludes some real gems, including (as mentioned in my PM) Canton Street up in Roswell.

ps - is there any tailgate or anything else set up for the game?

I lived in ATL for a few years over 10 years ago and come back at least once a year, so I feel I'm pretty well versed. A few thoughts on comments above:

The aquarium is truly awesome. I was skeptical but it is fascinating, really well done and manageable. Unlike anything in the world.
    I haven't been to the new World of Coke, but the old one was OK, but definitely would be prioritized behind the aquarium.
    I saw Lenox Square Mall mentioned above. Do not go there. It is a very average major-metro area mall. There are no stores that are not at your local mall. Giant waste of time.

As far as dining goes, I agree with most posters that you need to get on MARTA or take a cab - there's very little near where you're staying. Regarding the pizza recommendations above, don't bother (no offense to others). Good Atlanta pizza is average pizza in other parts of the country - you don't go to Atlanta for pizza. The Varsity is a really fun, Atlanta-only experience. The food is nothing that exciting, but the price is right and it is fun, especially with kids. Fox Brothers is a great recommendation - excellent BBQ.

I always loved the Virginia-Highlands (and yes, as a former resident, that's what everyone calls it, even though it is the intersection of VA and Highland). Lots of good restaurants there, most are moderately priced. Some of the spots mentioned near the Cemetery are fun too.