An American Duke Fan In Beijing

Pessah somewhat redeems himself by publishing this letter from a Duke fan.

Thanks for the link. What a great letter and description of watching the game in Beijing.

Thanks, Jon. Great stuff!

Thanks for posting, stickdog!

Terrific! Old Zhang will be converted yet...

Thanks for the link. Very cool... I especially liked this part...

None of the Chinese have heard of the Midwest. They also don’t understand how a high ranking university could name itself “Man Servant.” (There is some confusion throughout the game whether or not Butler is a university where you learn how to be a butler—sort of like how Liaoning Teacher’s College trains you to be a teacher).

Learn how to be a butler... how cool is that!!??!??! (joke, joke..) Interesting how the English language is "viewed" in other countries and cultures... But even in the USA, a friend went to "Pharm" school... for a Dr. of Pharmacy... in Nebraska. But just hearing it spoken... she went to learn to work on a "farm".

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Terrific! Old Zhang will be converted yet...
    To what?

Wait for it....

syne.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by stickdog View Post
    Pessah somewhat redeems himself by publishing this letter from a Duke fan.
    Yeah, I'm not giving him any redemption. Note this early quote from the letter:

"You [that is, Pessah] asked me before the game to write and tell you how it felt to watch my Blue Devils lose the title halfway around the world."

What a lovely way to request material for a story.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Yeah, I'm not giving him any redemption. Note this early quote from the letter:

"You [that is, Pessah] asked me before the game to write and tell you how it felt to watch my Blue Devils lose the title halfway around the world."

What a lovely way to request material for a story.
    Yeah, I don't really have a problem with people that hate a team for no reason. Like me with the Yankees. I hate that they get all the top free agents and spend a ridiculously amount of money...but it's really just jealousy that the owner of my favorite team (the Braves) would rather pocket the extra cash than spend it upgrading the squad. But at least admit that you hate the team for no good reason instead of making up some ridiculous claim like "Duke gets all the calls" so you can try and justify rooting for a team whose coach had a DUI and an embarassing graduation rate over a team that does things the right way, has really never had a scandal, and graduates their players.

I wasn't referring specifically to Mr. Pessah, just ranting about America in general. I feel better now.
    Last edited by coldriver10; 04-22-2010 at 02:10 PM.

Yeah I can't wait to hear the next pile of horse dung that Pessah tries to lay on DBR!

I actually don't get mad at him anymore...I find him amusing!

from the article:

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

“They are very strong, but this style is not like Kobe. It is not very beautiful,” Zhang interjects. “Maybe they could try to dunk the ball and fly through the air gracefully.”

Tune in next year Mr. Zhang!

Duke-China Update

Thanks for the kind words on the letter. It was definitely a trip going through March Madness this year in Beijing, since this has been the first year it has gotten a bunch of coverage on TV in China.

I wanted to send a quick update from over here. Was down in Guangzhou for a business trip this week. I saw not one or two, but three Duke 2010 Championship T-shirts. When your accomplishments are getting pirated in the Pearl River Delta, you know you have made it.

-Jonathan in Beijing

PS- I also want to say that the comment on 'writing about watching Duke lose' was tongue-in-cheek - Pessah was in no way being mean-spirited, if what I wrote made it sound like that.

Duke fan in Shanghai

Funny article and very true. I just recently returned from two 1/2 weeks in China, and my going away present was the devils taking the championship 2 days before I left the states. I most certainly rocked my Duke gear as often as possible, although only a few people asked a/b the meaning. They do love them some Yao/Wade'a/and Kobe.

I tried to explain to many of them why a lot of us enjoy NCAA basketball more than NBA (sport over money.) But it could be awhile before they truly come to enjoy any college basketball. Here's hoping they see the light!

Here are some pics:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0...D720/ry%3D480/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0...D720/ry%3D480/

Hopefully these work