Interesting new tire design -- Coming soon?

I'm thinking that some of you may be interested in this. Michelin apparently has a new tire design that looks simple but might be a big game changer.

These tires are airless and are scheduled to be out on the market very soon. The bad news for law enforcement is that spike strips may not work on these. Just think of the impact on us drivers:

A.. no more air valves...
    B. no more air compressors at gas stations...
    C. no more repair kits...
    D. no more flats...
    These are actual pictures taken at the South Carolina plant of Michelin. Looks like the wheels on my old bicycle, or my great grandfather's wagon

I saw this before. I can't wait. I think it is a great idea and a big step forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    I'm thinking that some of you may be interested in this. Michelin apparently has a new tire design that looks simple but might be a big game changer.

These are actual pictures taken at the South Carolina plant of Michelin. Looks like the wheels on my old bicycle, or my great grandfather's wagon

That's cool. One thing to note is that the wheel axle should actually be thought of as hanging from the spokes at the top rather than being supported by the spokes at the bottom. If you cut/remove spokes at the bottom nearest the road the wheel still supports the car. If you cut/remove ones at the top things quickly collapse.

Wonder what those spokes are made of and how much deformity they can experience over time before degrading.

They need a tirewall. Even if just for cosmetic purposes. They are butt ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    I've been wondering if the spoke-like construction has some cooling function. Supportive sidewalls perhaps would look better, though, but I like the idea. I have a neighbor who retired from Goodyear some years ago. He thinks that Goodyear may be looking at a similar idea at their Fayetteville, NC plant.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    I regard to aesthetics, they do look like they were designed by the British.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I regard to aesthetics, they do look like they were designed by the British.
    You mean a British orthodontist?

Yeah Baby! Shagadelic!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    You mean a British orthodontist?

Yeah Baby! Shagadelic!
    Actually, I mean the typical British minimalist styling.

cool design, but there are some issues to work out before it would be a feasible solution. You would have to seal the sides of the tire to keep mud and debris out as even a small amount of mud or a rock could severely throw off the balance of a tire.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    Wonder what those spokes are made of and how much deformity they can experience over time before degrading.
    You would have made a great MEMS pirate roberts. Too bad you were brainwashed into a physics degree.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Dukiedevil View Post
    cool design, but there are some issues to work out before it would be a feasible solution. You would have to seal the sides of the tire to keep mud and debris out as even a small amount of mud or a rock could severely throw off the balance of a tire.
    I don't know, angle the "spokes" like propeller or fan blades, and you could "shoot" debris out from the wheels - adding excitement to the journey of nearby pedestrians and cars in neighboring lanes. The design might make it interesting when going through puddles or snow - an immediate dampening when the spokes encounter resistance.

It is an interesting concept, probably geared to electric cars and hybrids. Doubt you'll see it on a Humvee any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    It is an interesting concept, probably geared to electric cars and hybrids. Doubt you'll see it on a Humvee any time soon.
    It's funny you say that; they were actually made for the Humvee.

http://www.gadgetvenue.com/airless-h...ires-11182324/

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post

Same concept, completely different design:

I like the idea, substantially bulletproof, basically disposible design. I do wonder how they will perform in water, mud or sand that enters the lattice.

OK, so maintenance is cheaper, they use less material and might last longer. Any word on potential improvements in fuel economy? (I'd think fuel economy would at least be more consistent as there's no worry about keeping them inflated to X psi.) Do they offer better performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    You would have made a great MEMS pirate roberts. Too bad you were brainwashed into a physics degree.
    Errr, I'll take that as a compliment, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post

Thanks for the video. It was enlightening. The comment at the end of the video wasn't that good to hear, though. They said that we cannot expect to see the tire on the market for at least 10 to 15 years. What's the holdup? The release date of the video was May 14, 2008, so presumably that wait time is 8 to 13 years. If these tires have anything to offer to safe driving and economy we should have them now. My 23 year old GMC S-15 is in need of new tires, now. Maybe I can get a set early when they start their beta testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Thanks for the video. It was enlightening. The comment at the end of the video wasn't that good to hear, though. They said that we cannot expect to see the tire on the market for at least 10 to 15 years. What's the holdup? The release date of the video was May 14, 2008, so presumably that wait time is 8 to 13 years. If these tires have anything to offer to safe driving and economy we should have them now. My 23 year old GMC S-15 is in need of new tires, now. Maybe I can get a set early when they start their beta testing.
    Run down to Fayetteville and volunteer for a road test! It isn't too far away.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Run down to Fayetteville and volunteer for a road test! It isn't too far away.
    I don't trust my truck to go any farther than the golf course, the barber shop, Lowes, a semi-annual trip to the gas station, and periodic trips to the health center for a workout. It's been to Fayetteville which is about 45 miles away. Guess I'll have to wait until the Buick needs tires.