Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    Hi,

I am glad Kyle has decided to come back--these are the best years of one's life. If he was to get injured can the University buy an insurance policy or is that against the rules?

GO DUKE!
    I just got a text from a buddy saying "Kyle Stays." My immediate response: "No fu***** way." In my mind he was gone. This is amazing news.

However-- I always hear "these are the best years of your life, why leave?" Kyle's life at Duke is nothing like ours was. His schedule doesn't allow for kegs every night, although come to think of it, I don't think Duke has kegs every night like when I was there. Neither can he jump to the quarry on a whim or bail on practice like we'd skip a class b/c it was just so nice on the quad. I'm sure Kyle's life is already like being in the real world with a 12 hour work day every day.

I'm not saying he shouldn't stay. Lord, I am ecstatic at his decision. I just don't think his college life is anything like ours was.

Quote Originally Posted by trinity92 View Post
    I just got a text from a buddy saying "Kyle Stays." My immediate response: "No fu***** way." In my mind he was gone. This is amazing news.

However-- I always hear "these are the best years of your life, why leave?" Kyle's life at Duke is nothing like ours was. His schedule doesn't allow for kegs every night, although come to think of it, I don't think Duke has kegs every night like when I was there. Neither can he jump to the quarry on a whim or bail on practice like we'd skip a class b/c it was just so nice on the quad. I'm sure Kyle's life is already like being in the real world with a 12 hour work day every day.

I'm not saying he shouldn't stay. Lord, I am ecstatic at his decision. I just don't think his college life is anything like ours was.
    Nice posts. When I was at Duke a few years back, kegs weren't allowed on campus. Pretty sure nothing's changed.

And I agree, there lives aren't 'normal' college lives. Sure, I'd see them at parties. Sure, they play video games like the rest of us. Sure, they went to classes. But you're right - they're experience is very different indeed (although I wouldn't want them to experience some of the nights I had. Naty light is the devil!)
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Thank you Kyle. TYVM.

Terrific News

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    Wow. Last fall after watching a few episodes of the new show "Flash Forward", I put a silly post in one of the threads about "in my flash forward" it was April 29th, I was watching ESPN and Kyle Singler was announcing that he was coming back for his Senior Year for a chance to win back to back National Titles...

Little did I know huh?

What were the chances last fall that Duke would win the National Title AND Singler would come back???

Way to go Kyle! I cannot wait to see you get even better next year!!!!!
    Sorry, that scenario could never happen in real life.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    This is fabulous news for us. Every other coach in the country is groaning - Duke gets all the breaks. Should be a good offseason!
    I think it was Hayward that meant to come back, but the refs blew it and called it in Duke's favor.
    Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    I have to wonder if the apparent offensive prowess of incoming freshman Kyrie Irving had something to do with it. Kyle has never played with a true drive and kick pg nor a pg that initiates an up-tempo offense. This could give Kyle some nice spot up looks which has been one of his strongest suits.

This may also benefit guys like Hairston and Felix in the long run as well as they won't have to be thrown into the fire right away. Get your "why don't Carrick and Josh get more pt?" responses ready. This is of course an enormous benefit to the rest of the guys on the team b/c while being such a great player on both sides of the court, Kyle is also an excellent glue guy. Kyrie and Seth are going to love distributing to this guy on both the wing and the post.

What probably has me most excited is the return of Kyle's defense. In the latter part of the season he showed an excellent ability to guard front court players and big wings. The job he did on De'Shaun Butler and Gordon Hayward was unbelievable. Those are two pro-caliber talents he shut down.

I do have to wonder how this is going to affect Andre and Mason. Does Kyle continue to play the big wing and push Andre further down the rotation? Or does Kyle return to a pf spot and push Mason out of the starting lineup?

This is great news but K does have some chemistry to build here. We are not at all the same team with Scheyer, Z, and Thomas gone. In the months of March and April those were three great defenders. Even with Kyle back I have serious doubts we'll reach the high level of defense that was on display for almost all of this past season. And we have a lot of guys who really want to play.
    I don't know if having Kyrie factored much into his decision as he played with a pretty darn good point guard (second team all-american) this year.
    I do agree very much with two of your other points regarding defense and chemistry. I think as talented as the team would have been without Kyle, having him back helps the team's defense a ton. He and Nolan have both proven to be very good perimeter defenders, so this is less of a concern for next year. As K often has said, each team is different and you never know how the chemistry will work out. Having two senior leaders back should also help in this regard, I would expect as well. This team certainly is very different than last year's championship squad, but with this great news, the team will still have some senior leadership to go with the young talent.
    Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    I think he's going to have a senior year that he will remember the rest of his life, so I am very glad for him and for Duke basketball.

I just hope that we don't have any potential recruits expecting to wear #12...
    I agree that Kyle will likely never regret this decision (he wouldn't have regretted it either way, IMO) and will end his Duke career as a legend with his jersey retired. The bad news is for those recruits looking for #12, this should be the last year it is worn at Duke.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
    Anyway, great news. If Singler had left, I think we would have been awfully thin at the 3 spot...the only guys we'd have available for that spot would be Felix and Hairston, both rookies.

I know that people were pretty high on us even with the possibility of Singler leaving, but in reality, we would not have had a proven wing player without him.

But, with him back, our depth chart looks like this:

1. Irving......Thornton
    2. Smith......Dawkins/Curry
    3. Singler.......Felix
    4. Mason/Miles....Hairston
    5. Mason/Miles....Kelly

We're going to be loaded at guard. The key, I think, will be Miles' progression...he needs to improve his inside game in a hurry if we're going to be the top-level rebounding team we were last season. Miles hit some impressive shots this year, but really wasn't a great defender.

If Miles continues to develop, and one of Felix, Hairston, or Kelly can make significant contributions, we should be fine.
    Having Singler back helps a ton, but in no way, after a season where we had 4 players for the 1-3 positions, did I feel we would have been that thin at the 3. I would have expected (and still expect) to see quite a few 3 guard line-ups. I also have a tough time believing that Curry is going to see the minutes of someone who is only 3rd string at one position. I expect he may be the sixth man this year. With Kyle back, if nobody develops, this team will be fine. If players improve over the summer, the 2010-11 team certainly has the potential to be something special, even though there is an excellent chance they won't have the success of this year's squad.

All in all, makes for a very enjoyable off-season as the team just got the best possible player returning to the team. This is better than any potential recruit. I am very excited to see how coach K shapes this team and as always, am looking forward to seeing how the guys improve over the off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by ElSid View Post
    Someone linked to "Inside Carolina" and I made the mistake of reading the responses to this news...
    I perused some of the comments on the ESPN article and it's more of the same. People are saying that Duke can't repeat because they won't have Zoubek tearing it up on the boards. These are the same people who spent all season saying that Zoubek sucks and was worthless. Now he's irreplaceable. It must be hard work searching so hard for ways to hate.

I suspect that Duke hatred will reach a new stratosphere this season when we're actually considered the favorites (or among the favorites). We actually managed to kind of fly under the radar for most of 2009-2010.

I remember when Hansbrough announced he was returning for his senior year (which wasn't really a surprise since he had been saying that he would all along)... I was disappointed that we'd have to face him again, but I certainly didn't hope for him to get injured.

What's the chance we get a game in Oregon (vs Univ. of Oregon or Oregon State?) for Kyle's senior season? Brother EJ plays for the Ducks, so maybe the Singler family would prefer another matchup?

Oh, happy day, oh happy daaaay! Thanks, Kyle!

View from Beijing: Singler Staying Keeps Title Excitement Alive

Thought you all might enjoy reading an email from one of your fellow Duke fans in China, who talks about Kyle Singler and watching Duke win the title at a coffee house in Beijing with Duke friends and amused Chinese observers. http://trueslant.com/jonpessah/2010/...-any-language/
    Last edited by -jk; 04-20-2010 at 08:53 PM. Reason: fix url tag

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    Repeat champs
    Nothing like keeping expectations reasonable. Jeez. We'll be very good next year, but chances are Duke will NOT repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Nothing like keeping expectations reasonable. Jeez. We'll be very good next year, but chances are Duke will NOT repeat.
    I'm not sure why you would say this. I'm all for being realistic but there is no reason not to think that we have a good chance to repeat.

Duke hatred?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I perused some of the comments on the ESPN article and it's more of the same. People are saying that Duke can't repeat because they won't have Zoubek tearing it up on the boards. These are the same people who spent all season saying that Zoubek sucks and was worthless. Now he's irreplaceable. It must be hard work searching so hard for ways to hate.
    Excuse, me but Duke hatred? Please!

I can't tell you how many times in the past few years when I've read posters on this very board express the very same opinions regarding Zoubek . . . in very nearly the same language.

Sometimes I think we enjoy being hated. So much so that we proudly wear it as a badge. But we also complain about it like whiny little children. I'm confused.

I think the tone of that comment is a little harsh, especially considering we have probably the best chance to repeat of any team out there. To be fair to gus though, it's never going to be a safe bet to take one team over the entire field. That said, I'm extremely excited.

Stats, stats and more stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    I'm not sure why you would say this. I'm all for being realistic but there is no reason not to think that we have a good chance to repeat.
    I agree with both of you. We have as good a chance to win next year as anyone, which is what you hope for going into a season and into the tournament. But as Gus says, there is a much better chance that Duke will not win the tournament. I wonder if Vegas would have the odds at about a 15% chance for Duke winning, 80% not? Would Mich St. be also at 15% chance of winning? This team may be a favorite for next year, but would definitely not be favored vs. the field, especially since the season is still months away from starting.
    Edit: I guess my title should be made up stats, stats, and more made up stats, as I pulled the odds out of the air and don't know what they would be exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazieDUMB View Post
    we have probably the best chance to repeat of any team out there.
    We are the only team with a chance to repeat. And I, like you, am not only excited but like our chances to win two NC's in a row.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Singler's stats

Some things that caught my eye from looking at Kyle's stats.

• A/T ratio has improved every year as has his 3 pt %.

• PF per game has decreased every year.

• Rebounding, steals, and blocks decreased from last year, no doubht due to his move to the perimeter.

• Fg% has decreased each year. This is something that Kyle can improve upon next year for sure.

Vegas Odds of Winning 2011 NCAA Championship

Favorites: Duke and Michigan St.: 8 to 1

Next favorites are several other teams, including Kansas, Syracuse, UNC (?): 20 to 1

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    It's worth noting that Duke will be seeking to do something that hasn't been done in three decades - repeat as champion while replacing multiple starters.

Winning a championship is always hard, and the odds against anyone doing it, even with the best team. And we don't know if Duke will have the best team.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post

Some things that caught my eye from looking at Kyle's stats.

• A/T ratio has improved every year as has his 3 pt %.

• PF per game has decreased every year.

• Rebounding, steals, and blocks decreased from last year, no doubht due to his move to the perimeter.

• Fg% has decreased each year. This is something that Kyle can improve upon next year for sure.
    combo indicates he could use work on his midrange game. in fact, here are his 2-pt FG%:
    '07-'08: 54.5%
    '08-'09: 47.6%
    '09-'10: 42.4%

Quote Originally Posted by ElSid View Post
    Singler's appearance...really white, kinda goofy.
    I've heard this a lot. Am I the only girl that thinks Singler's actually kinda cute?

Well, besides his girlfriend, who I'm guessing finds him attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Frosh View Post
    Favorites: Duke and Michigan St.: 8 to 1

Next favorites are several other teams, including Kansas, Syracuse, UNC (?): 20 to 1
    If I could get to Vegas, I would take 8-1 right now on Duke. I would put the actual odds at something around 4-1 (which is an overwhelming favorite at this time of year I realize). If Vegas is putting us at the same odds at MSU, I really don't think they understand how talented we are going to be next season.