NBA Garage Sale - or Give Away?

The Bulls give away their #17 pick and Kirk Hinrich to the Wizards (who had cap room so they need not give anything back) just to clear cap room for close to 2 max salaries.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nb...ory?id=5324240

The Heat do the same thing, giving Daequan Cook and the #18 pick to the Thunder for the #32 pick.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/1...nba;headlines

Talk about moves that could backfire

This is why I hate the NBA

I know this is all about helping teams land max contracts, but I hate when teams give away talent. Thanks to Memphis this kind of move gave the Lakers 2 extra championships! What ever I am ready for college ball to start again so I can listen to experts talk about that instead of crazy NBA trades.

I've always wondered since talks of the 2010 summer started about what's going to happen with these teams like Chicago, Miami, NY, or NJ don't get any FA and have 15-20 million in extra cap and awful players.

It's a HUGE risk/reward scenario right now

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    I've always wondered since talks of the 2010 summer started about what's going to happen with these teams like Chicago, Miami, NY, or NJ don't get any FA and have 15-20 million in extra cap and awful players.

It's a HUGE risk/reward scenario right now
    I don't think Chicago is going to miss Kirk Hinrich and his $9M/year contract too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    I don't think Chicago is going to miss Kirk Hinrich and his $9M/year contract too much.
    exactly. especially with how unnecessary he is in their backcourt right now.

Although

Why would any team that has Arenas, Wall, and Foye want Hinrich?

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Why would any team that has Arenas, Wall, and Foye want Hinrich?
    Because Arenas will never play for them again (just guessing).

I am troubled by the moves to just clear cap space. It seems like a big risk, but when you think about all the impressive free agents who are currently available, I can see it making sense.

--Jason "all this cap space is good for Carlos Boozer " Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Why I dislike the NBA

These cap clearing moves (along with drafting players solely for potential rather than exhibited talent) are why I don't actively follow the NBA. Teams routinely overpay players then dump them for nothing. A large majority of trades are driven by the cap, rather than talent. I don't care about luxury taxes, expiring contracts, etc. - I want to know that one player was traded for another player of similar talent.

The Bulls can now get either LeBron or Wade plus have enough leftover for Bosh.

The Heat can re-sign Wade and get two more max guys (ie LeBron and Bosh). Plus the Heat have a bunch of 2nd round picks who they are not committed to signing.

Unless Cleveland can work out a sign-and-trade to get an all-star big guy (Bosh) after re-signing LeBron...then I dont see LeBron coming back. Cleveland and Miami made the right moves.

The other chip is if someone trades for Chris Paul (NJ or NY?).

After Bosh/Wade/LeBron sign, teams are going to throw waaaay too much $ at Boozer/Stoudamire/J. Johnson. Good players but I dont see any of them being a #1 option on a title contender. I'd keep the powder dry for Carmelo next summer if I were NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I'd keep the powder dry for Carmelo next summer if I were NJ.
    Not gonna work. Melo is really close to signing an extension with Denver

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    Not gonna work. Melo is really close to signing an extension with Denver
    Carmelo is crazy! He could be the man on the Brooklyn Ballers...

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    The Bulls can now get either LeBron or Wade plus have enough leftover for Bosh.

The Heat can re-sign Wade and get two more max guys (ie LeBron and Bosh). Plus the Heat have a bunch of 2nd round picks who they are not committed to signing.

Unless Cleveland can work out a sign-and-trade to get an all-star big guy (Bosh) after re-signing LeBron...then I dont see LeBron coming back. Cleveland and Miami made the right moves.

The other chip is if someone trades for Chris Paul (NJ or NY?).

After Bosh/Wade/LeBron sign, teams are going to throw waaaay too much $ at Boozer/Stoudamire/J. Johnson. Good players but I dont see any of them being a #1 option on a title contender. I'd keep the powder dry for Carmelo next summer if I were NJ.
    Next year, outside of Melo, there really aren't any players worthy of that type of money either, and I would hesitate to say they are better than Boozer, Stoudemire, David Lee, and Joe Johnson. (Guys like Tony Parker, Tayshaun Prince, and Shane Battier.)