Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Braves struggling...

Ugh, lost another one to the Marlins. We need Chipper back BAD. By the time he gets back into the lineup, we could be .500 or (gulp!) worse.

Jason Heward

I saw a write up on him in the AJC yesterday. Does anyone have the skinny on this kid? he seems to be a GREAT ballplayer - although that is the same thing we said when we drafted George Lombard
    Last edited by Channing; 06-08-2007 at 12:41 AM. Reason: title of Post should be Jason Heyward.

the braves are really struggling with consistency right now. thankfully, the other team that is struggling just as much is the Mets. what is it with the way the braves play against teams in their own division? they seem to have the mets figured out but can't buy a series win against the marlins or nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    I saw a write up on him in the AJC yesterday. Does anyone have the skinny on this kid? he seems to be a GREAT ballplayer - although that is the same thing we said when we drafted George Lombard
    Heyward was the hot rumor coming out of Atlanta for the last few days preceding the draft. He was projected to go as high as sixth and Atlanta apparently had him in their top 5 on the board so they feel extremely fortunate to have landed him. As you all probably know the draft is a crapshoot so I try not to get too excited about our prospects but here's some info on the newest Atlanta Brave.

Reasons to get hyped:
    - Five-tool (hooray tools!) high school centerfielder from Georgia (grew up 30 minutes away from Turner Field) who hit .520 with 8 hrs and 32 RBI
    -Projects as a first basemen or corner outfielder with plus power (35+ Hr a year power)
    -Very grounded and family-oriented, both parents graduated from Dartmouth
    -Baseball prospectus thinks he's the outfielder least-likely to be a bust because he has "tremendous" plate discipline
    -He's huge, 6'5'' 230 lbs already!

Bobby close to the record...

I love Bobby, he does not get the recognition he deserves.

Here is an article on his soon to be record

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...t&lid=tab2pos1

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill

Sox - Braves Series

Anybody want to talk trash? Make friendly wagers?

Go Sox!

(My number two son plays for the Braves in Little League this year so I'll be rooting for them in the Championship game on Wednesday.)

I'll talk some trash:

The Yankees cometh. ;-)

Question Are those footsteps they are hearing?

Quote Originally Posted by BluBones View Post
    I'll talk some trash:

The Yankees cometh. ;-)
    Well said BluBones!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by BluBones View Post
    I'll talk some trash:

The Yankees cometh. ;-)
    You know, the thing about that is, now we Sox fans have a rejoinder.

It sure was great to see Dave Roberts playing in Fenway again, he got a standing ovation leading off for the Giants. Sometimes I like to amuse myself by thinking of all the teams that have won the World Series since the last time the Yankees did. Hmmm, Arizona Diamondbacks(!), LA/Anaheim Angels, Florida Marlins, Boston Red Sox, Chicago White Sox, St. Louis Cardinals, oh my.

And '78 just made '04 that much sweeter, plus I wasn't a Sox fan until '86. I became a Sox fan because of Roger Clemens, go figure. Started following the team after he struck out 20 Mariners on April 29, 1986 (still heart-broken about Louisville) so I got my heart broken twice that year. Moved to Boston 2 years later, became an even more rabid Sox fan. Although, at the end of the day, Duke Basketball will always be my first love and the only team I've pulled for all my life.

I was actually trying to talk smack with the Braves fans around here, but perhaps that's best left until after tonight's game. :-)

It certainly helps that Big Papi sits on the bench for a decent portion of the interleague games. Without him in the lineup, I like our chances. Go Braves!

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Well said BluBones!
    Yankees fans that are cheering on the Yankees to catch the Red Sox clearly aren't very big Braves fans...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/po.../1996_WS.shtml

Atlanta Braves Updates

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7074846

Big pickup for the Braves, only a 4.5 games out in the division, and they don't give up any current Major League talent to do it. Cost them a lot, but its worth it now that A Jones is hitting again.

Agreed. Great pick-up for the Braves.

Still though, I don't think they can catch the Mets. The starting pitching is too inconsistent and they are 5 back in the loss column.

Odds look better for the Wildcard. Either way, just get in there!

-EarlJam

Picking up Teixeira

I don't see why a five-game margin the loss column at the end of July is all that significant ... many teams have overcome larger margins in less time.

This trade reminds me a lot of the deal the Braves made to pick up Fred McGriff midway through the 1993 season. At the time of the trade (July 18), the Braves were 9.0 games back of the San Francisco Giants in the NL West -- and that was the last year without a wild card.

McGriff's numbers at that point in the 1993 season look very much like Teixeira's today:

McGriff 83 games .275 18 HR 46 RBI .361 OBP .497 SLUG
    Teixeira 78 games .297 13 HR 49 RBI .397 OBP .514 SLUG

If anything, Teixeira's numbers are somewhat better -- plus he's two years younger AND a switch-hitter and he's the best defensive first-baseman in the game today.

McGriff's addition in 1993 showed just how much impact one strong hitter can make in a lineup ... The Braves were still nine out on August 11, but on Sept. 11, they were one game in front ...

I'm excited to think of the difference Teixeira will have in a lineup that already has three of the top five hitters in the National League (Chipper, Diaz and Renteria). Atlanta's first basemen have been hitting eighth and ninth all season -- now I imagine Teixeira bats fourth and allows Andruw to move down ...

He's signed through the 2008 season ... after that, it could be tough -- but Teixiera did play at Georgia Tech and might be anxious to stay in Atlanta if the Braves' new ownership will pony up.

I'm not saying this guarantees anything, but it does make the Braves MUCH better -- whether that's enough to catch the Mets or at least win the wild card, we'll have to see.

PS The Braves DID give up a major leaguer -- "Salty" (I won't attempt his full name) -- a 22-year-old switch-hitting catcher. He was a great prospect and Atlanta might regret giving him up, but you don't get a guy like Teixeira without giving up something.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I don't see why a five-game margin the loss column at the end of July is all that significant ... many teams have overcome larger margins in less time.
    All I can say is....I hope you are 100 percent correct and I, being a jaded Orioles fan who lives in Atlanta and also loves the Braves, am 100 percent wrong. Go Braves!

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by tombrady View Post

Big pickup for the Braves, only a 4.5 games out in the division, and they don't give up any current Major League talent to do it. Cost them a lot, but its worth it now that A Jones is hitting again.
    Well, they gave up Salty, who is the top prospect in the Braves system and was already playing (a lot) for the major league club. He has shown flashes of greateness, but is really young and his best position is C. With McCann signed long-term, the Braves are more than set at C so he was expendable.

I like this deal. Texiera is a good offensive 1B and a great defensive player. He gives the Braves more power at 1B than they have had in a long time. Of course, he adds about $12 million to next year's payroll, which is yet another sign the Braves will not even try to sign Andruw Jones in the offseason.

I like the Braves offense a lot more now. If they can somehow manage to make the playoffs they could be a very tough out. There are few teams anywhere who can match the starting combo of Smoltz and Hudson. The fact that the Braves have woeful 4th and 5th starters would be prety much a non-concern in the playoffs.

-Jason "if Andruw starts to hit even a little bit, this could be a super-potent offense" Evans

PS The Braves DID give up a major leaguer -- "Salty" (I won't attempt his full name) -- a 22-year-old switch-hitting catcher. He was a great prospect and Atlanta might regret giving him up, but you don't get a guy like Teixeira without giving up something.
    Exactly. He's the centerpiece, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Well, they gave up Salty, who is the top prospect in the Braves system and was already playing (a lot) for the major league club. He has shown flashes of greateness, but is really young and his best position is C. With McCann signed long-term, the Braves are more than set at C so he was expendable.
    Exactly. They have McCann, who is getting the Major League at-bats. Removing Salty from the current Braves team doesn't really do anything to their Major League roster, minus a good bat off the bench. So they essentially add Teix without giving up something real from the ML team (i.e. a starter, bullpen, etc.) Thats great for this season.

Word is now they might be moving in on Dotel for the bullpen. GFIN!

Just to be argumentative, D Lee is pretty dang good at first base, so I'm not sure that Tex is the best defensive first basemen in the game.

Of course Lee did almost play baseball and basketball at UNC, so maybe you're right.

Mixed feelings

Quote Originally Posted by tombrady View Post

i don't like giving up prospects to do it;

The Rangers will receive catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Class A shortstop Elvis Andrus and two additional prospects.
    they built the championship team on the farm system. After they traded away all of the prospects they kept getting swept in the wild card game, and now they can't make the playoffs. Frankly, I'd rather trade Chipper for a current Major League talent who could help now and prospects who can help us down the road.

That's how we got John Smoltz.

Agreed...baseball is a game of streaks. If he can help us get hot we can ride it to the division. I recall a 13 game make up once.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    All I can say is....I hope you are 100 percent correct and I, being a jaded Orioles fan who lives in Atlanta and also loves the Braves, am 100 percent wrong. Go Braves!
    100% agreement from a lifelong Braves fan
    Last edited by Bluedawg; 07-30-2007 at 03:46 PM.

We'll see

Yea, I'm not so sure I love this deal. Tex will definitely make the lineup scary with Chipper and Tex as lethal switch hitters in the 3-4 spot but Atlannta gave up some great talent. Salty and Andrus are the top two prospects in the Braves' farm system and with the two pitchers, it looks like the Braves have given up 4 of their top 10 prospeccts for a year and a half of Tex.

Also, it's being rumoured that the Braves are shipping either Davies or Lillbridge, another SS prospect for Dotel of the Royals. Seems like Schurholtz is really going for it this year.

One final note: What really annoys me about this deal is that the front office waited two weeks (probably the fault of the Rangers GM but Schurholtz should've done something to speed it up) to get the deal through. Over the course of those two weeks, the Braves have lost some really close games and theres no question that having Tex in those games could've resulted in 2-3 more wins easily.

By the way, is this the best lineup in the NL assuming Andruw turns it around even slightly.

Willie Harris/Escobar
    Renteria
    Chipper
    Tex
    Andruw
    McCann
    Francouer
    Kelly Johnson/Diaz