Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Results 201 to 211 of 211
  1. #201
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    1. Black on sports uniforms is terrible, making your silly little interloping team manifestly inferior to mine.
    2. The '69 mutts were a fraud. The Cubs choked.
    3. Ditto the '86 mutts, except that time, the red sux choked.
    4. Your stadium is smack in the middle of the flight pattern for JFK airport (like Shea, a dump). Pathetic.
    5. Your stadium is located in a place called "Flushing." The jokes there are so obvious, I won't even bother to make them.
    6. Your first base coach, Rickey Henderson, somehow managed to return to your pitiful little team after departing ignominiously as a player because he sat in the clubhouse playing cards as your pitcher walked in the winning run during the NLCS (I was there; it was glorious). This is doubly pitiful .
    7. Your first base coach also doesn't know what a first-person pronoun is.
    8. Your silly mascot has cranial elephantiasis.
    9. Pedro still has a Jheri curl.
    may i offer a rebuttal:

    1)black is terrible i agree (www.ditchtheblack.com), but honestly, this coming from a team with those HIDEOUS red tops?
    2) the 69 mets totaly owned
    3) the 86 mets were the best team in the HISTORY of drunk messes
    4) its actually laguardia, not jfk. and the airport is fined for every plane that flies over
    5) flushing meadows is one of the most culturally diverse neighborhoods in queens, but whats more is that Shea is actually in Corona. make that dirty, i dare you.
    6/7) rickey henderson is the best player of his generation and any of his excentricities or rhetorical devices provide more entertainment and are far less offensive then those of that racist John Rocker
    8) our mascot is silly indeed, but he doesnt offend an entire race of people
    9) pedro is still cooler than anyone who has ever played for the braves. and you will all become witness to that this afternoon when he punishes the reds in his dramatic return.

    that is all. GO METS
    Excelsior!

  2. #202
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Quote Originally Posted by NovaScotian View Post
    2) the 69 mets totaly owned
    Ed Charles, Bud Harrelson, Jerry Grote, Cleon Jones, Boswell, Shamsky, and Don Clendenon were unstoppable in September. Pitching? Terriffic. Relievers? Ya gotta believe. Agreed.

    However, I caution your assessment based on two names:
    Ed Kranepool & Ron Swoboda.

    In the pantheon of teams, 69's Mutts were one-year wonders. Soon after '69, A's (Rudi, Jackson, Campy, Bando, Hunter, Fingers) and Big Red Machine were superior.

    9) pedro is still cooler than anyone who has ever played for the braves. and you will all become witness to that this afternoon when he punishes the reds in his dramatic return.
    Pedro vs. Zimmer! THAT'S cool!

    How about this image of Pedro:


    Sorry, if you're neither Slick Watts nor John McEnroe, DON'T WEAR A HEADBAND!

    Deion Sanders and Dave Justice were way cooler than Pedro could ever hope to be. Sorry, curl and all, Pedro still has to live with the legacy of shoving an old coach and wearing an Expo hat.

    FWIW, Wagner yesterday was one hurt/spent puppy, and he has had a bad stretch (see Phillies). The Mutts rested him two days before yesterday. Something is NOT right with him.

    Cheers,
    Lavabe

  3. #203
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lompoc, West Carolina

    Unhappy I saw it...

    Quote Originally Posted by NovaScotian View Post
    3) the 86 mets were the best team in the HISTORY of drunk messes
    The '86 Mets robbed Houston of a shot to the series.ROBBED, I repeat. The tying run allowed in the 9th should not have been allowed due to the fact that the ump missed the double play force at first so the run could score. Get that call right and it's game over, Astros prevail.
    Last edited by -jk; 09-03-2007 at 03:16 PM. Reason: fixing another quote tag.

  4. #204
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by NovaScotian View Post
    9) pedro is still cooler than anyone who has ever played for the braves.
    Your rebuttals are duly noted, and many of my criticisms were admittedly the pouty results of a foul mood.
    But this assertion regarding Pedro is false, false, false. He is not cool. He is not even that good anymore. If he does manage to get into the HOF, he won't even do it as a mutt.

  5. #205
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    The '86 Mets robbed Houston of a shot to the series.ROBBED, I repeat. The tying run allowed in the 9th should not have been allowed due to the fact that the ump missed the double play force at first so the run could score. Get that call right and it's game over, Astros prevail.
    I fully beg to differ on the account that Mike Scott is a dirty dirty ball scuffing cheater, who i believe has all but admitted to scuffing balls during that season.

    oh and by the way, pedro is back, and after some initial jitters, hes ready to continue kicking I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.. i know in my heart of hearts that you bravo fans out there (and silly phillie phans, too) are shaking in your timbs right about now, since we have five (count em) SICK starters for the rest of the season.

    oh and another thing, since when hasthis guy been cool? and for the record, anyone who at the frustration of fans comes out and says "They (Yankee fans) can't get any rougher on us unless they show up with Uzis," is the OPPOSITE of cool.

    Now, to demonstrate Pedro's coolness look no further than the picture above - do you think he gives a damn that you dont like his headband? also this.
    watch the video if youve got time, right around the 38 minute mark.

    go METS
    Last edited by NovaScotian; 09-03-2007 at 06:17 PM. Reason: wrong minute
    Excelsior!

  6. #206
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Quote Originally Posted by NovaScotian View Post
    oh and another thing, since when hasthis guy been cool? and for the record, anyone who at the frustration of fans comes out and says "They (Yankee fans) can't get any rougher on us unless they show up with Uzis," is the OPPOSITE of cool.

    Now, to demonstrate Pedro's coolness look no further than the picture above - do you think he gives a damn that you dont like his headband? also this.
    watch the video if youve got time, right around the 38 minute mark.

    go METS
    Funny... the video link had an opening commercial that talked about former Brave Hank Aaron. Nice link!

    To be honest, your #9 cool remark was in response to Wilson's Jheri curl remark. I continued with Wilson's fashion statement. Neon Deion (pre-Tim McCarver splash down) was known for his clothes ... and if I am not mistaken a fedora and a Jheri curl. But really, hot dog Deion? Shall we discuss former Mutts and their commercials?

    FWIW, the photo of Pedro was his Wiki photo from this afternoon, sans Jheri curl. I guess you can wear a headband after Labor Day!

    Justice was pure cool in the 1995 World Series, calling out the Atlanta fans, then backing it up in the winning game.

    Sorry, but Pedro's Don Zimmer knockdown was as uncool as it gets (ahhh... that was before he became a Mutt). I guess now that he is a Mutt, he is a righteous dude, eh?

    Pedro in his prime (Expos/Red Sox days) was a solid pitcher with 3 Cy Youngs. We'll see if he has some more left in him. Given Wagner's troubles (and given the Mutts depth in starters), Pedro might be amazing in the bullpen ... a la Smoltz. Sounds crazy, but if you only need three starters in the post-season, I don't think he ranks higher now than Glavine and Maine. If El Duque is okay by the postseason, Pedro might be scary as a reliever. I used to think Wagner was scary, until I saw him yesterday. He is NOT himself lately.

    So what was it about the Phillies that made them sweep the Mutts (and where were those Mutts in the Braves series)?

    Glavine got a VERY respectable round of applause at the Ted. VERY few boos. Glad to see him get applause ... although I wish he had been knocked out of the game sooner.

    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Last edited by Lavabe; 09-03-2007 at 07:56 PM. Reason: You say Henry, I say Hank!

  7. #207
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lompoc, West Carolina

    I didn't mention it, but since you did...

    Quote Originally Posted by NovaScotian View Post
    I fully beg to differ on the account that Mike Scott is a dirty dirty ball scuffing cheater, who i believe has all but admitted to scuffing balls during that season.
    ...I think he did scuff balls. Heck, he might have scratched them too. We don't have an argument here. Ball scuffing does not change the fact that from the angle I had on TV, the twin killing was complete. Replays were not shown at the time. Editors had decided that it was more important at the time, to show the tying run crossing the plate only.

    PS-I don't imply for one moment that Houston would have won over the RedSox.

  8. #208
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    PS-I don't imply for one moment that Houston would have won over the RedSox.
    yea, you BETTER not.
    go METS
    go PEDRO
    BOO CHIPPER
    Excelsior!

  9. #209
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lompoc, West Carolina
    "Phillies blow one for the ages!"- Chip Carey

    9-8, Braves start 8th inning down 8-2. Great comeback. It ain't over till it's over.


    Still might be over.

  10. #210
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis
    Well, we suck, but at least we took the Phillies out of the WC.

    A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert


    Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

  11. #211
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Unfortunately, most of those years will be spent in the Bronx. [Teixeira]'s only going to play 200 games for Atlanta, assuming he stays healthy.

    Terrible, terrible trade.
    Congratulations to Elvis Andrus and Neftali Felix on their first All-Star selections!

Similar Threads

  1. Updates to DBR HPR -- a poll
    By throatybeard in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 11-15-2007, 03:21 PM
  2. Greg and Marty surgery updates?
    By mgtr in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-08-2007, 06:07 PM
  3. Braves
    By wilson in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-16-2007, 03:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •