New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Live stream of tonight's celebration at the BDAP

Team, coaches, pepband!
    Singler, Scheyer and Zoubs will speak.
    http://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/video/7427426/

Oh..and it's on now..but team hasn't shown up yet.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Ha ha ha... Blue Devils Athletic Park

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    K had an excellent speech. He makes me beyond proud to be a Duke fan.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

That woman's comment about Singler coming up to make an announcement was awkward and, I think, inappropriate. I know she was trying to be funny, but it clearly made him really uncomfortable. Ugh.

I thought Coach K was great, as usual. And what they're doing trying to include the Durham community with Duke and bind the two together is really important.
    T '05, SOM '10

Quote Originally Posted by coldriver10 View Post
    That woman's comment about Singler coming up to make an announcement was awkward and, I think, inappropriate. I know she was trying to be funny, but it clearly made him really uncomfortable. Ugh.
    Yeah, that was a real "WTF???" moment. I thought for sure it was a planned thing, because no way she would be that classless if not, would she? But then Kyle had to deny her request amid the one-more-year chants and applause, which I'm sure was fun for him. Not to mention she proceeded to introduce him as a senior while forgetting Zoubs a minute later... she was pretty bad all around.

Good night though, they had a great crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Yeah, that was a real "WTF???" moment. I thought for sure it was a planned thing, because no way she would be that classless if not, would she? But then Kyle had to deny her request amid the one-more-year chants and applause, which I'm sure was fun for him. Not to mention she proceeded to introduce him as a senior while forgetting Zoubs a minute later... she was pretty bad all around.

Good night though, they had a great crowd.
    Lots of them stumbled..the mayor congratulated the AAA championship basketball team. Public speaking is tough stuff, so I forgive them for those misses. I thought the Singler bit was funny, and I guarantee you he gets asked everywhere he goes, he's thick skinned enough to take it for the joke it was.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Lots of them stumbled..the mayor congratulated the AAA championship basketball team. Public speaking is tough stuff, so I forgive them for those misses. I thought the Singler bit was funny, and I guarantee you he gets asked everywhere he goes, he's thick skinned enough to take it for the joke it was.
    I'm afraid we have different tastes then, because I certainly found that to be in bad taste. She put him on the spot unexpectedly, on a celebratory evening, and in a manner which seemed like a pre-planned way for Kyle to announce his return.

My heart skipped a beat for a second as I thought maybe she knew he wanted to tell everybody he was coming back and elicit a big cheer from the Durham gentry. No way he would choose that venue to say he was leaving. Bummer.
    Love, Ima

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    I'm afraid we have different tastes then, because I certainly found that to be in bad taste. She put him on the spot unexpectedly, on a celebratory evening, and in a manner which seemed like a pre-planned way for Kyle to announce his return.
    I agree. My initial thought was "Really? He's coming back??," which only led to disappointment and sympathy when I realized it wasn't planned. Having strangers/friends come up to you and plead you to stay is one thing; being put on the spot in front of hundreds of people when you're not ready is another thing entirely.
    T '05, SOM '10

baseball...the bulls

when he said triple A he was talking about the baseball team. but...do they really win a "national championship"?

Quote Originally Posted by ElSid View Post
    when he said triple A he was talking about the baseball team. but...do they really win a "national championship"?
    Yes. The Bulls were triple A national champions last year. It was one game, one shot, and on TV. Was fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by coldriver10 View Post
    Comedy is hard...best left to the pros...and they aren't even that good at it.

I sure wish she hadn't embarrassed him like that. I hope no one shouts out "one more year" next week at the banquet. It fell flat w/Henderson last year and it will again. People can be so ridiculous.

Looked like a beautiful night for a baseball game though!

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Comedy is hard...best left to the pros...and they aren't even that good at it.

I sure wish she hadn't embarrassed him like that. I hope no one shouts out "one more year" next week at the banquet. It fell flat w/Henderson last year and it will again. People can be so ridiculous.

Looked like a beautiful night for a baseball game though!
    I've kind of always wanted to attend an event like that, and when it gets really quiet shout out something like, "Do what's best for you and your family, WOOOOO!"

K had an excellent speech. He makes me beyond proud to be a Duke fan.
    Complete agreement on this comment, CBaB. Coach really loves living in Durham, and he loves the support from the community.

We're so lucky to have him on our side.