Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

If Singler goes, what's your starting lineup?

As I posted in the Ryan Kelly thread, I began to think about this. I apologize if there's already a thread about this.

Do you take advantage of your guard depth and go with a 3-guard (Smith, Irving, Curry/Dawkins), 2-forward lineup? Do you start both Plumlees as your 2 frontcourt players?

Or, obviously dependent on how they play, do you try and fit a Felix, Hairston, or even Kelly into the 3 spot and sit Curry and/or Dawkins?

Clearly a great dilemma to have..

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    As I posted in the Ryan Kelly thread, I began to think about this. I apologize if there's already a thread about this.

Do you take advantage of your guard depth and go with a 3-guard (Smith, Irving, Curry/Dawkins), 2-forward lineup? Do you start both Plumlees as your 2 frontcourt players?

Or, obviously dependent on how they play, do you try and fit a Felix, Hairston, or even Kelly into the 3 spot and sit Curry and/or Dawkins?

Clearly a great dilemma to have..
    The former. With the caveat that most of us have yet to see much of Felix and Hairston, the latter option doesn't even sound plausible as a starting lineup.

I go the following:

1 Irving
    2 Smith
    3 Curry
    4 Kelly
    5 Ma. Plumlee

1-3 positions are small, quick guards who would excel in a high-tempo style. Kelly spaces the floor nicely with his three point shooting. Mason would excel offensively as the only guy in the post; he could take his guy off the dribble or kick it out. Defensively, this team would destroy due to good ball pressure from the wings and with Kelly and Plumlee clogging the middle.

I think for the most part with start Dawkins there.. He is more of a option at the 3 then Curry is, and with a little bit of more muscle I think can develop into a above average defender... I think that is the most likely option with Felix backing him up...

I can at times where Coach K with use all 3 guards, but not to start.. I think we use a system of Dawkins, Felix and Hairston at the 3 if Singler does not return.. Ryan Kelly is more of a 4 or 5.

1. Kyrie
    2. Nolan
    3. Andre
    4. Mason
    5. Miles

Seth gets starters' equivalent minutes subbing on the perimeter.

Ryan gets starters' equivalent minutes subbing for Mason and Miles.

As for Felix and Josh, the opportunity for minutes are there if they step up.

I'm really excited about this line-up, it's very athletic with high scoring potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiagledknarf View Post
    I think for the most part with start Dawkins there.. He is more of a option at the 3 then Curry is, and with a little bit of more muscle I think can develop into a above average defender... I think that is the most likely option with Felix backing him up...

I can at times where Coach K with use all 3 guards, but not to start.. I think we use a system of Dawkins, Felix and Hairston at the 3 if Singler does not return.. Ryan Kelly is more of a 4 or 5.
    No offense to Ryan, but the day he is playing the 5 spot for us is a rough day...I think Curry jumps right into the lineup since he has a year of starting in the NCAA and a year of battling a NCAA Champs squad in practice...

Irving, Curry, Smith, Hairston and Plumlee is my 5. Good depth off the bench with Dawkins, Thornton, Kelly, Felix, Plumlee.

Quote Originally Posted by HCheek37 View Post
    No offense to Ryan, but the day he is playing the 5 spot for us is a rough day.
    I think we will see that very thing when Miles gets into foul trouble.

To my eye, Mason has quicker feet than Ryan and when the two of them are in the post, I can see Mason guarding the opponent's 4 man and leaving Ryan to guard the 5.

Maybe Josh will step up quickly but as a freshman I am not counting on that.

If Kyle leaves, that means I will have seen a lot of Nolan and enough of the Plumlees to assume that those three will be starters or in the prime rotation and enough of Andre and Ryan to know that they have potential to be terrific contributors.

I've only seen youtubes (or less) of the rest of the guys. After seeing Zoubs develop dramatically over the space of a month, and having been mildly surprised (in both directions) about new players, I'd guess we have no idea who might be the best 5 or 6 players by October or January. I do have confidence that K will want to play his best players even if that means we have three guys out there who are under 6'4". He might relish the chance to show off his versatility, since few teams can stay in the top 10 after losing 4 starters and remaking themselves as a small team after having been as big as anyone last year.

I really don't see how people could see Ryan Kelly starting.

For PURE chemistry and skill reasons, the Plumlees are truly the only two I see starting at the 4 and 5 positions. They have hops, can defend well, have incredible chemistry with one another, catch alleyoop passes even when in awkward positions, and really have a large array of inside moves in order to get the ball inside the basket, and Mason Plumlee is a legit NBA prospect.

all i've seen from Ryan Kelly is his 3 point shot. Not to mention he is pretty skinny and lanky, and Felix and Hairston are young, and kind of need to feel their way in to get their roles.

as far as the 3 spot goes, because of our plethora of guards and for pure height reasons, I say Dawkins starts out.

Curry will be the sixth man, and a scoring threat from deep, we'll definitely have another great 3 point shooting team with Curry and Dawkins, both can really shoot
    Last edited by WordLife565; 04-14-2010 at 07:33 PM.

To start the season:

Curry
    Smith
    Dawkins
    MP 1
    MP 2

Irving may win the starting pg spot as the season goes on, but I predict he isn't handed the keys on the first date.

Thornton
    Irving
    Smith
    Curry
    Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    To start the season:

Curry
    Smith
    Dawkins
    MP 1
    MP 2

Irving may win the starting pg spot as the season goes on, but I predict he isn't handed the keys on the first date.
    There's zero chance that a healthy Kyrie Irving comes off the bench. Zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    To start the season:

Curry
    Smith
    Dawkins
    MP 1
    MP 2

Yeah, aside from Johnny Dawkins, Tommy Amaker, Bobby Hurley, Jeff Capel, Jason Williams and Greg Paulus, freshmen guards at Duke never get to start at the point from Day 1.

I mean, Curry may beat Irving out for the job. But it won't be because Irving is a freshman, it'll be because Curry is playing better.

Quote Originally Posted by WordLife565 View Post
    I really don't see how people could see Ryan Kelly starting.

For PURE chemistry and skill reasons, the Plumlees are truly the only two I see starting at the 4 and 5 positions. They have hops, can defend well, have incredible chemistry with one another, catch alleyoop passes even when in awkward positions, and really have a large array of inside moves in order to get the ball inside the basket.

all i've seen from Ryan Kelly is his 3 point shot. Not to mention he is pretty skinny and lanky.
    i agree that Ryan probably won't start, but The MPs have not shown that they defend well, in fact quite the opposite. They both certainly have the potential to be excellent interior defenders but they haven't done so yet. Also, Felix is not that young, he's 2 years removed from HS, coming in from a JUCO. He'll still have to learn the Duke system, but he's older than Kelly or Mason.

As for HCheek37: "Irving, Curry, Smith, Hairston and Plumlee is my 5. Good depth off the bench with Dawkins, Thornton, Kelly, Felix, Plumlee."

I have to say that either Plumlee has the advantage over Hairston as a starter. I like Curry starting though b/c of the maturity issue, he's 2 years removed from HS plus he was a starter and produced in a big way at Liberty. Dawkins is still quite young and just needs some time, maybe this summer will be enough, but from what we saw last year (when we won the Championship!!!!) I don't see him as a starter for next year.

I'm no coach but my 5 are:
    PG - Irving
    2G - Nolan
    G - Curry
    F - Plumlee I
    F - Plumlee II

Everybody coming off the bench has a serious case to make for minutes, principally Kelly, Dawkins and Carrick as they have collegiate experience. There are probably more minutes available for Hairston as a F than for Thorton as a G.
    Last edited by DukieInBrasil; 04-14-2010 at 07:48 PM. Reason: line-up

I don't really see Curry starting over Irving because Irving is a possible one and done, and is one of our best NBA prospects in a while. So most likely he is going the be the most talented player, more talented than Curry in every aspect but 3-point shooting, and Kyrie is pretty good at that too.

I don't see Curry starting over Dawkins, because we wouldn't have a good amount of size in our starting lineup, but I could definitely see him still being a double digit scoring threat for sure.

I'm with OldSchool

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    1. Kyrie
    2. Nolan
    3. Andre
    4. Mason
    5. Miles

Seth gets starters' equivalent minutes subbing on the perimeter.

Ryan gets starters' equivalent minutes subbing for Mason and Miles.

As for Felix and Josh, the opportunity for minutes are there if they step up.

I'm really excited about this line-up, it's very athletic with high scoring potential.

That's exactly what I was going to write. I can see Andre and Seth switching off.

PG-Kyrie is poised even though he is a freshman plus the dude does everything good. I see him at the point as long as he is at Duke.

SG-Nolan proved he can score with the best of them last year and now that he is playing with confidence there is no reason why he cant avg 19 ppg again. Playing with a quicker more of an all around point, no disrespect to Scheyer, I think he will get even more looks.

SF-I got to go with Dawkins here. After seeing him in high school i was kind of glad Elliot Williams left because that ment Andre was gonna get more minutes. The kid is more than a shooter he can flat out score from all over the court. Next year I think your gonna see this kid really flourish playing along side Irving. I see him avg. at least 14 to 15 ppg.

PF-Miles will be a junior and much more experienced after playing in big games at the end of the year. I expect alot out of Miles kind of where Lance left off as far as the guy who cleans the glass and gets down and dirty on d.

C-Mason is gonna explode next year and maybe a first team all acc guy. He is very skilled for a big man and can pass out of the post as good as any big man that has come into the acc in a long time. If he can develope a face to the basket jumper like Laettner used to kill em with from about 12 ft, this kid may avg. 17 a game.

Wild Card is Felix. The more ive read about him the more I like. He has great size and is very athletic. This kid may take the devil nation and the acc by storm. he is the type of kid that u will be up late watching a sorry pac 10 game and seeing a guy drop 25 with some thunderus dunks. And you say to ur self, where did Herb find this kid!

I know this isn't how this works, but it would be funny if Dawkins and Curry had a shooting contest to determine who starts and who is the 6th man on this team. This is a truly fun what if, but I still want the starting 5 to be:
    1) Kyrie (yes most freshmen don't start but he's been called the best PG out of Jersey and that says a lot to Duke fans)
    2) Nolan
    3) Kyle (please don't go!)
    4) MP1
    5) MP2 (hopefully both Plumlees will mature into their defensive abilities this summer)

Quote Originally Posted by basket1544 View Post
    I know this isn't how this works, but it would be funny if Dawkins and Curry had a shooting contest to determine who starts and who is the 6th man on this team. This is a truly fun what if, but I still want the starting 5 to be:
    1) Kyrie (yes most freshmen don't start but he's been called the best PG out of Jersey and that says a lot to Duke fans)
    2) Nolan
    3) Kyle (please don't go!)
    4) MP1
    5) MP2 (hopefully both Plumlees will mature into their defensive abilities this summer)
    No offense i think we all want kyle to stay but this thread is about if he leaves. So what's the point of putting him in the lineup?

the plumlees will both start. I can't see any other scenario, they have the most experience, and have great chemistry together. Coach K values that. KI will be the floor general and main ball handler of this team, everything will run through him, and he will obviously start. Nolan is the senior leader of the team, and the only remaining full time starter from our championship team, so he is the de facto captain and starter at one of the wing spots.

That leaves the final wing spot open to whoever fills the role best. I believe it will be the player who shows the greatest improvement defensively. Seth, Dre, Josh, and Carrick all have a shot to start, but I believe it will realistically be between Seth and Dre, with Dre winning out in the end because of his size and athleticism. I think he will improve defensively over the summer and early next season. Seth will play starter minutes, and he will probably be our best pure scorer. He can really handle the ball and shoot from outrageous distance, but he is only 6'1", which puts him at a disadvantage on defense.

recap:
    PG K. Irving
    SG: N. Smith
    SG: A. Dawkins
    PF: Ma. Plumlee
    C: Mi. Plumlee