Motorola Droid + Video Games (shameless plug, but pretty neat)

For full disclosure, this is a product that my brother-in-law has been working on (I just found out about it tonight and thought it was pretty cool) and he just got his first shipment in today. It's basically a gamepad that slips over the keyboard of a Motorola Droid for playing old Nintendo games and that kind of thing. Turns out he and his brother came up with the idea one night and carved the prototype out of a plastic cutting board with whittled wood buttons. How cool is that?

www.DroidGamePad.com

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by striker219 View Post
    For full disclosure, this is a product that my brother-in-law has been working on (I just found out about it tonight and thought it was pretty cool) and he just got his first shipment in today. It's basically a gamepad that slips over the keyboard of a Motorola Droid for playing old Nintendo games and that kind of thing. Turns out he and his brother came up with the idea one night and carved the prototype out of a plastic cutting board with whittled wood buttons. How cool is that?

www.DroidGamePad.com
    Oh man that looks pretty sweet. Too bad I have a G1, I would totally get this if I had a Droid. I am definitely tweeting this though

One suggestion -- could you tell the person in charge of the site to add this inside the <head>?
    Code:
    <link rel="image_src" href="(image url of screenshot)">
    so that when I share a link on facebook, it shows up with a nice screenshot. I think you can put a video in there as well, but I'm not 100% sure on how.

edit #2
    here we go - pretty sure this is what you need

<link rel="video_src" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPcQ4g7crLE"/>
    Last edited by hc5duke; 04-14-2010 at 02:19 AM.

Well, I have a Droid, but have never been a video game player. But I'll keep it in mind in case I want to become one. What game were you playing? It looked familiar, but I have no idea what it is called.

Why did you film this at a Best Buy? Why was the Droid set to function as a camera?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    What game were you playing? It looked familiar, but I have no idea what it is called.
    pretty sure that was Super Mario World on SNES

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    One suggestion...
    Thanks for the suggestion, and passed on to the appropriate party.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Well, I have a Droid, but have never been a video game player. But I'll keep it in mind in case I want to become one. What game were you playing? It looked familiar, but I have no idea what it is called.

Why did you film this at a Best Buy? Why was the Droid set to function as a camera?
    I'm pretty sure it was Super Mario World, as was pointed out. I'm not sure why this was filmed at Best Buy. My best guess is that my bro-in-law doesn't have a Droid (maybe his brother did when they designed it?) and this was the only way to test out the product that he had just received.

As far as the Droid set to function as a camera I didn't know it was, I've never actually even picked one up. Was that something that you could see in the video?

Quote Originally Posted by striker219 View Post
    As far as the Droid set to function as a camera I didn't know it was, I've never actually even picked one up. Was that something that you could see in the video?
    I guess that is just the user's reflection on the glass face of the Droid. Must be due to the bright lighting at BB. It was so clear that I thought it was through the lens and not a reflection.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Talking

This could help immensely with playing Super Tecmo Bowl. The Droid's D-pad is on the right of the phone which is no help at all. Years of muscle memory can't be undone that easily!

I saw this on a blog today. I hope your brother-in-law isn't the one being compared to Kevin from The Office.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

kinda reminds me of the ThinkGeek iCade, except for the whole not being fake part (icade was an april fool's joke)

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    This could help immensely with playing Super Tecmo Bowl. The Droid's D-pad is on the right of the phone which is no help at all. Years of muscle memory can't be undone that easily!

I saw this on a blog today. I hope your brother-in-law isn't the one being compared to Kevin from The Office.
    Haha, yeah, that's Hy. He and my sister had a good laugh, agreed that he is long past due for a hair cut.

I guess they just launched yesterday, but they've already sold the first 100 they had (I thought it was only 25) with many more pre-orders. And they're able to offer more color options now, black or gray body and different colored buttons. They've been in contact with Wired and Engadget and have shipped out testers for them, so I'll post their reviews in the coming weeks(?) hopefully. This thing is blowing up, I'm really excited for them.

Engadget liked it

For $15 the Game Gripper turns a Droid (or Milestone) into a far more capable gaming machine and, while we do wish there were some way to add shoulder buttons to the thing, we were actually able to map the camera and volume up buttons to be R and L, respectively, giving a reasonable facsimile for an SNES controller. The feel isn't perfect, but we're satisfied, and after a few days with one we certainly don't want to game without it.