Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"Call me Noah" - Heroes season finale

I won't say anymore about the title for anyone who hasn't watched yet. But I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this episode.

For (*&#*$! sake

ALL SPOILERS!!! - I was generally annoyed with the episode...

I was pleased with the ending...until they showed a blood trail to the manhole cover and noone seemed to be concerned that Sylar had gotten away. That pretty much ruined a decent conclusion to me.

I was concerned at 9:45 that they would never be able to wrap things up.And then at 9:57 I was satisfied (although I did call the Nathan Pitrelli saves the day move at the very moment it occured, much to the amusement of my wife.) Then they showed the Sylar moment and the insect that was censored from the board - for )(^@&# sake! - and I embarrassed for the cliche of it all.

And Simone's dad, who apparently was dying of a disease and had a friend who was a healer - gives the "does it really matter how you are in the past and talking to me?" answer to Peter's question? WTF? That is some poor, lazy writing right there. All it takes is a quick expose - I have vision powers, you absorbed them - and boom! it all makes sense. It may give the writers a chance to do some interesting stuff in the future, but viewers are accustomed to crisper writing than that.

This episode alternated between great moments (Hiro returning Ando to Japan and Ando telling him he looked bad -I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.) and inane moments (Parker getting five bullets in his chest/abdomen and being wheeled onto an ambulance with no sign that he is dead or that they are actively trying to stabilize him.)

And yet, I am intrigued by the beginning of volume 2 - Hiro in the past! It could be very cool. I'll tune in , damn it. That and seeing how they land Peter (who should now have super strength, phasing, people finding, technopathy, and whatever Simone's Dad and his Mother can do as additional powers) are intriguing to me. And of course, the bad guy who can see Molly when she looks for him.

So frustrated. I want to leave, but I can't. It's as if they only write bad cliches into the script because they love me.

Exiled

*censored insect was a http://www.dukebasketballreport.comh...eport.comroach, from the Order Blattodea gotta love auto-censors
    Last edited by Exiled_Devil; 05-22-2007 at 01:05 AM. Reason: added spoiler warning, fixed insect censorship

I was mildly disappointed in the episode, but based on history I didn't have high expectations. If Wednesday's LOST is like this I will be very disappointed. It did have some good moments though, the final confrontation, the introduction of the new bad guy, finally bringing everyone together.
    Last edited by Jfrosh; 05-22-2007 at 09:53 AM. Reason: spelling

Bad in Just About Every Sense of the Word

So utterly disappointing, I almost can't believe it. Yes, there were a few good parts (about 3 the entire episode): Claire jumping out the window then watching her get up. Hiro looking badass. The first part of the fight between Peter and Syler. But the rest...Let's count the bad things:

1) Nathan saving Peter (and you just know that Nathan didn't die, by the way). Ummm...since Peter can fly - why didn't he just jump up into the atmosphere. Would have been much better if he was thrashing around clearly out of his mind and Nathan swooped in and grabbed him. But the rational conversation? Who wrote this - a five year old?

2) Parker getting shot, and (as someone wrote above), no IV, no oxygen mask, no nothing? And then the "You can't die - you're my hero." Who wrote this - a three year old?

3) The flashback with Peter. Beyond forced. No real point. The stolen message from Harry Potter ("You're filled with so much love..."). Ughh.

4) Basically every scene with the little girl. And ohhhh, there's an even worse bad guy (intriguing, but again, forced).

5) The end with Syler going into the manhole cover. How could that ever have happened? With the cops, and the Heroes right there!?! Not to mention the question of how you live through that.

This series had major, major potential. I'll still watch next year. I still thing HRG and Claire are awesome. My thought is that the writers were caught off guard by this thing being extended, and they literally made this up as they went along. Hopefully, with all summer, they can really write up a story line next year, that is not forced. If not - Heroes won't survive another year.

Oh, and I kept saying to my wife, "Lost does circles around these guys."

Everything Udaman said and more... way busy at the moment, but will have more later.

-Jason

I thought Peter not taking flight until Nathan helped him made sense. He was losing control over his radioactive ability, so how could you expect him to fly off into the atmosphere? I'm not exactly sure what that thing with Charles Deveaux was, but initially I thought it was Sanjog working his power. Maybe he shares the same power as Sanjog, only beyond the grave. And maybe Nathan has some good in him yet. I read on the HeroesWiki website that a theory for next season (titled Generations) may involve a feud between the Nakamura/Deveaux families and the Petrelli/Linderman/OWI clan (especially Mama Petrelli). If so, then the last two episodes set that up pretty well. It'll be interesting to see where Nathan eventually ends up: bucking the family trend and joining with his brother, succumbing to the dark side, or maybe becoming a "crypto-Hero" (as opposed to a visible "virrain", as Hiro would say). And maybe Hiro going back to Takezo Kensei's time will introduce us to the first of the Nakamura lineage (whether that's Takezo Kensei or not will be very interesting to see).

Oh, and the c0ckroach at the end freaked me out. Initially, I thought the coroner took Sylar's body, but if he changed into a c0ckroach, how did he do it when it was obvious he was already dead? Or was it he was always a c0ckroach (a la Kim Jong Il in Team America)?

PS: Your profanity filter is awful. C0ckroach?
    Last edited by JDSBlueDevl; 05-22-2007 at 03:27 PM.

Mildy disappointed but had huge expectations going in

Quote Originally Posted by JDSBlueDevl View Post
    I thought Peter not taking flight until Nathan helped him made sense.
    I thought the same thing. Peter was doing everything he could just to resist exploding. Using Nikki's new power of super strength (the only power Peter displayed in his confrontation with Sylar) appeared to be what triggered the loss of control in the first place. Sylar even laughed when he got Peter to use it as if he knew using another ability would somehow trigger it.

Besides, Peter needed his brother there. Earlier in the episode he even broke down and confessed in front of Claire that he felt weaker without his brother.

Quote Originally Posted by JDSBlueDevl View Post
    Oh, and the c0ckroach at the end freaked me out. Initially, I thought the coroner took Sylar's body, but if he changed into a c0ckroach, how did he do it when it was obvious he was already dead?
    It was also obvious to the Company that Sylar was already dead when they had him in a cell. Turned out, not so much. The c0ckroach was in that cell too. The roach was there as a reminder that Sylar has become more "God-like." It goes back to Mohinder in the first episode lecturing his class on how the c0ckroach may be more evolved than humans.

Hiro in the past

I'm assuming that they want us to think that Hiro jumped into a battle between some army and Kensei. Does anybody else think that Kensei is going to end up being Hiro's dad (Sulu)?

As for the rest of the episode, I was disappointed as well. The big disappointments was the way Sylar died (he couldn't stop Hiro from running at him?), Sylar apparently not dying, Parkman and DL not dead after being shot and nowhere near medical help for a long time, and the whole Devereaux scene (they better expand on it because it was neat, but at this point it was worthless).

Cool things: Claire's escape from Mama Petrelli and the revelation of a new unknown bad guy (they better get a good actor for this guy). I'm sad to see Linderman go, but his death was pretty good (I realize that was in the last episode).

Bottom Line, I will still probably watch at least the beginning of last season, but unless they bring up some really cool plotlines, I may have to move on.

devildm
    devildm
    Duke '03

Oh where to start? I was watching this show with some friends and could not help making intermittentsnarky comments to the point where they got visibly angry with me... but I was sooo dissapointed in this last episode. Udaman touched upon a lot of the points but here are a few more:

1) Hiro "killing" Sylar. It was already established that Hiro was faster than Sylar with his time warp ability. That was a classic opportunity to do the warp time ability in slow motion and show Hiro stab Sylar through the chest in grand cinematic fashion as Sylar tries to let loose one of his abilities. Ugh, what an opportunity lost!

2) In a fight to the death of Sylar, Peter uses none of his other abilities? They could've made the fight so much better. How about Peter turns invisible but Sylar uses his super-hearing to hear him coming? How about Sylar uses his "cold" power to swirl around him and reveal Peter through the flecks of snow sticking on him? How about some power/fly jumps by Peter? A show about superheroes and their powers should USE more of them.

3) Inexplicably dumb people. Parkman and Ando against Sylar? Seriously?

4) I know Udaman already talked about this but I must stress it again. No one pays attention to Sylar? After everythign he has shown and his unique abilities, everyone turns away from him for multiple minutes? Right after Sylar fell, I was mentally screaming for Noah to shoot him five billion times to make sure he was dead, have DL phase punch through his brain and heart, and have Nicky break every bone. Why must every show do this and build implausible scenarios for bad guys to still be alive?

Despite all this, count me in as one of the viewers who'll reluctantly tune in next season (I love Hiro and Peter still). I will say though that if the show doesn't turn around in the first eight episodes next season, I will not hesitate to stop watching. The "Generations" thing does have a lot of promise and I still remember how good I thought the show was going to be during the first half of the season.

What do you mean by unseen bad guy? I don't think I saw any reference to that.

The little girl/ location system didn't want to look for one guy who was "much worse" than Sylar because when she did look for him, he could "see her."

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    The little girl/ location system didn't want to look for one guy who was "much worse" than Sylar because when she did look for him, he could "see her."
    Right, missed that for a sec. I initially thought she was referring to Peter, which kinda didn't make sense when I thought about it.

Question Boogey Man?

Is that the "boogey man" she kept talking about?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Is that the "boogey man" she kept talking about?
    No, Sylar was the "bogey man"-- we determined that because she said it was the person who killed her family at the beginning of the season.

So, there is someone worse than Sylar out there. Sorta hard to believe considering that Sylar steals the powers of other "Heroes" by cutting off their heads and "eating" their brains. That's pretty sick and depraved. How much worse can a bad guy get?

As an aside, Sylar seemed quite content to blow up NY himself the past couple episodes. That is why he was so intent on getting Ted's brain. The reason Pete fought him was that Sylar was all ready to nuke the city. So, my question is-- what happens now that Sylar is in the sewer but still alive? Can anyone come up with a reason that Sylar would not just nuke the city anyway?

I mean a reason aside from lousy writing/storytelling.

I am going to keep watching-- I cannot help it-- but I really will not be sad if it gets cancelled.

-Jason "sigh, it would have been a great show, I think, if the network had not tinkered with it" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    So, my question is-- what happens now that Sylar is in the sewer but still alive? Can anyone come up with a reason that Sylar would not just nuke the city anyway?

I mean a reason aside from lousy writing/storytelling.
    Perhaps in the cataclysmic event of near-death and reverting to a cocroach form, Sylar lost all his powers and is unable to nuke the city. Of course, this approach would probably fall under the lousy writing/storytelling but would still be better than "he doesn't feel like it".
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 05-24-2007 at 10:19 AM. Reason: fixed because the system will not let you spell cocroach correctly

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukerati View Post
    Perhaps in the cataclysmic event of near-death and reverting to a cocroach form, Sylar lost all his powers and is unable to nuke the city. Of course, this approach would probably fall under the lousy writing/storytelling but would still be better than "he doesn't feel like it".
    The one thing I would say is that Sylar really seemed to want to make Peter blow up the city rather than do it himself. He was clearly leaving it up to Peter in their showdown, and in the flashforward, Sylar seemed to really relish rubbing Peter's nose in it when he said he knew who REALLY blew up Manhattan.

That being said, I agree with most of the complaints. Increasingly, this is becoming like "24," and no, I don't mean that as a compliment, although I'm still (barely) watching the show.

Sylar's disappearance

now that Sylar is in the sewer but still alive?
    Is Sylar still alive?
    Probably, but there isn't any conclusive reason to believe he was alive when he disappeared.
    Molly's new Big Bad knew where Molly was when Parkman had her describe it to him. Perhaps this Big Bad came looking for Molly and ended up dragging Sylar's corpse into the sewer (maybe he/she/it has a way of reviving him, maybe it has a way of taking abilities from a corpse, or maybe it simply thought Sylar would be tasty).
    Or perhaps other Company Men are covering up Sylar's death. They were right outside the Company building and they've been known to cover things up in the past.

Can anyone come up with a reason that Sylar would not just nuke the city anyway?
    If Sylar is still alive there is no reason he could not just nuke the city (or any city) anyway but then there was no reason he could not have nuked the city from Isaac's apartment without showing up at the square. Sylar does have some sense of self preservation. It's likely he wanted a way to survive blowing up the city and after painting himself confronting Peter in the square saw this as an opportunity to take Peter's abilities. He knew he had killed Peter previously and yet somehow Peter was still alive. In fact that's the first thing Sylar gets Peter to confirm when he arrives.

3) Inexplicably dumb people. Parkman and Ando against Sylar? Seriously?

4) I know Udaman already talked about this but I must stress it again. No one pays attention to Sylar? After everythign he has shown and his unique abilities, everyone turns away from him for multiple minutes? Right after Sylar fell, I was mentally screaming for Noah to shoot him five billion times to make sure he was dead, have DL phase punch through his brain and heart, and have Nicky break every bone. Why must every show do this and build implausible scenarios for bad guys to still be alive?
    A bit harsh to consider Parkman and Ando inexplicably dumb for taking on Sylar but then suggest Noah should have. Noah was the one cautioning Parkman not to go near Sylar without Peter. Peter was gone. Noah had shot Sylar before and it didn't kill him. If, as your speculating here, Sylar was possibly still alive coming at him with a gun hasn't worked out for a lot of people (Noah, Mohinder, Parkman.) His concern should be and was to protect Claire. DL and Nikki don't have any idea who Sylar is, other than he threw the bullets at Parkman and that he was fighting Peter. They were there to take down Linderman and save Micah.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    I was pleased with the ending...until they showed a blood trail to the manhole cover and noone seemed to be concerned that Sylar had gotten away. That pretty much ruined a decent conclusion to me.
    That blood trail to the manhole cover was the last scene of the season. No one had a chance yet to be concerned that Sylar had gotten away, if that helps.

The disappearance ending up being a nice way to bring the recurring elements of the series together as a close of the first season. The manhole cover was left displaced to resemble an eclipse a symbol appearing often in the series, the "more-evolved" roach was there, and the staircase looking work of art in the fountain was the helix or God Send symbol. The closing shot was the director bringing these themes together.

Next season we'll get a chance to see people concerned that Sylar had gotten away, if he's still alive, if he plans to nuke the city, etc.

One thing Heros delivers for me are one-three moments an episode that are way cool. Little girl's quote was one of those for me.

Sylar lives. He must be able to transmorph. What is the one living thing that is to be able to survive a nuclear explosion? Sylar was not disturbed by the sword - he had a plan in place.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGodfather View Post
    A bit harsh to consider Parkman and Ando inexplicably dumb for taking on Sylar but then suggest Noah should have. Noah was the one cautioning Parkman not to go near Sylar without Peter. Peter was gone. Noah had shot Sylar before and it didn't kill him. If, as your speculating here, Sylar was possibly still alive coming at him with a gun hasn't worked out for a lot of people (Noah, Mohinder, Parkman.) His concern should be and was to protect Claire. DL and Nikki don't have any idea who Sylar is, other than he threw the bullets at Parkman and that he was fighting Peter. They were there to take down Linderman and save Micah.
    I was not suggesting Noah take on Sylar. I was suggesting Noah pump Sylar's prone body full of bullets after Hiro had taken him down As you point out, Noah was the sole voice of sanity and did not attempt anything against Sylar. As for the previous shooting incident, Noah shot Sylar and Sylar was injured and bloodied if I remember correctly and "lucky" to get away (at the Bennetts' house).

I do like your possible explanations for the mysterious dissapearance of Sylar's body though. It gives me a glimmer of hope for next season...

I was not suggesting Noah take on Sylar. I was suggesting Noah pump Sylar's prone body full of bullets after Hiro had taken him down As you point out, Noah was the sole voice of sanity and did not attempt anything against Sylar. As for the previous shooting incident, Noah shot Sylar and Sylar was injured and bloodied if I remember correctly and "lucky" to get away (at the Bennetts' house).
    You remember correctly but Noah had the Haitian with him in the house.

The last time Noah approached Sylar's prone body alone he was in a cell and also believed to be dead. That turned out very badly for Noah. So approaching Sylar's prone body this time with no Peter or Haitian still involved great risk even if the chances are very small Sylar is still alive. That's not a risk I believe Noah is willing to take with Claire there. If Claire had gone with Mama Petrelli and he wasn't concerned for her immediate safety, then maybe he turns Sylar's corpse into lead.