Page 57 of 179 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 3573

Should some of these posts be moved...

To a mason or big man development thread?!?!? I believe this is a recruiting thread and the last 10+ (being conservative here) have little to do with that. Not trying to be a party pooper but sheesh... Let's talk recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    What does this have to do with rebounding?

What does this even mean?
    Well boxing out is directly related to rebounds. I believe they teach boxing out as the first step to getting a board and when Mason faces players as athletic or stronger than him then he allows the other player to get position, so sure he puts up good rebounding numbers but couldn't they be better?
    And having no competition means that he is normally the only guy on our team going up for the ball. It is similar to Kevin Love, sure he is a good player, but if he is playing with another competent big man like Gasol who fights with Bynum/Odom for boards or Boozer who was averaging better than 10 boards before Noah came back. It still takes some skill to average those numbers but would Love be putting up those numbers if he was playing on a better team or with better players?

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBlue08 View Post
    You actually got me interested and I tried to find out. I failed, but at least as far as I can find on their website, their coaching staff is filled entirely with ex-guards. That's about as far as I am willing to research this though.
    And ol' roy was not a varsity level player, which of course means he is unqualified to coach varsity.

Quote Originally Posted by sporthenry View Post
    Well boxing out is directly related to rebounds. I believe they teach boxing out as the first step to getting a board and when Mason faces players as athletic or stronger than him then he allows the other player to get position, so sure he puts up good rebounding numbers but couldn't they be better?
    Thank you but I know what boxing out means. My question to you was what your statement, "However, he along with the rest of the bigs tend to lose their man and it leaves to easy baskets." has to do with rebounding. Which is why I split your quote in two when I asked my questions.

Quote Originally Posted by sporthenry View Post
    And having no competition means that he is normally the only guy on our team going up for the ball. It is similar to Kevin Love, sure he is a good player, but if he is playing with another competent big man like Gasol who fights with Bynum/Odom for boards or Boozer who was averaging better than 10 boards before Noah came back. It still takes some skill to average those numbers but would Love be putting up those numbers if he was playing on a better team or with better players?
    Well, Kyle has 6.7 rebounds per game (12th in ACC), and counting just ACC games his average goes up to 7.75 rpg (7th in ACC). Nolan has 4.9 rpg (27th in ACC) and is a point guard. Miles and Ryan (one of whom is usually on the court with Mason) combine for 36.1 minutes per game and 8.4 rebounds per game. So I think Mason has plenty of "competition" on his own team for rebounds.

And I still wonder how you can characterize the 5th or 6th best rebounder in the ACC as "leav[ing] a little to be desired" as a rebounder.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    And I still wonder how you can characterize the 5th or 6th best rebounder in the ACC as "leav[ing] a little to be desired" as a rebounder.
    I think I would list Duke's best assets in this order:

Nolan's scoring ability
    Kyle's defense
    Mason's defensive rebounding
    Seth's shooting ability
    Andre's 3-point shot

I would say that Mason can improve a lot defensively and on defensive rebounds by learnign to position himself better. He does a lot on athleticism alone, but as he learns more he's only going to improve.

Super "Wait...this is a recruiting thread?" Dave

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    And ol' roy was not a varsity level player, which of course means he is unqualified to coach varsity.
    That is the reason I asked who their big man coach is. The UNC fans are quick to point to Wojo and say "look, they have a little guard coaching their big men, that is why they do not develop" which in and of itself is not true, but who coaches their big men? I don't see Eric Montross or Sean May or any other "big" on the bench. They have Steve Robinson who got fired from FSU, and some guard that Roy coached at Kansas, plus another old dude (sorry to lazy to look up his name)...

So tell me UNC fans, who is making the UNC bigs so darn good and coaching them up?? It isn't a big man unless they bring one out in secret for practices...

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    That is the reason I asked who their big man coach is. The UNC fans are quick to point to Wojo and say "look, they have a little guard coaching their big men, that is why they do not develop" which in and of itself is not true, but who coaches their big men? I don't see Eric Montross or Sean May or any other "big" on the bench. They have Steve Robinson who got fired from FSU, and some guard that Roy coached at Kansas, plus another old dude (sorry to lazy to look up his name)...

So tell me UNC fans, who is making the UNC bigs so darn good and coaching them up?? It isn't a big man unless they bring one out in secret for practices...
    I just read an interesting article about returning players coming to our practices. Day in and day out, I am sure not, but the way it made it sound (media, I know) it is a very often occurrence. There is not telling where these boys get their guidance from. And I dont think WoJo has anything to do with developing big men. He has studied the game enough to understand the low post position, I am sure.

My Duke buddy told me you guys have a coach that just studies defensive stance the WHOLE GAME. If that is the case, I am sure Wojo gets some assistance if needed.

I think it has more to do with individual players learning curve and overall potential, as well as the type of offense you guys practice day in and day out. I would think we spend more time practicing low post set plays where you guys are more ball screen wing oriented.

Sounds like Justin Anderson is deciding tomorrow on local tv between Terps, Virginia and Heels.
    http://twitter.com/DaveTelep/statuses/48213310184763393

Thought I'd share, even though we were never really recruiting him.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAssassin View Post

I always feel kind of bad when we can't show any love to a kid whose dream is to play at Duke.

Justin's an elite-level physical prospect though, and I really hope he goes to UVA so I can actually root for him.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAssassin View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    I always feel kind of bad when we can't show any love to a kid whose dream is to play at Duke.

Justin's an elite-level physical prospect though, and I really hope he goes to UVA so I can actually root for him.
    Yes, please go to Virginia! Seems like a great kid with a huge upside with his athleticism. Also, supposedly a really good student. I did not realize UNC was recruiting him. Scout doesn't show him with a UNC offer...

I think we liked him, it's just that we had too many wings in a similar mold already in the truck that the staff decided to focus its efforts elsewhere (namely for a big). Gbiinje, Dawkins, Sulaimon, and Murphy can all play at the 2 or 3. (Assuming Rivers is gone after one year). And those are some high quality players (all 5-star recruits). I wish the best for Justin and hope he joins Tony Bennett in Charlottesville.

Any new news on Parker?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post

Looks like Maryland is the option here. Definitely room for him to go right in the starting rotation. Would be the best athlete to go to Maryland since Steve Francis.
    The Terrapin Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post
    Looks like Maryland is the option here. Definitely room for him to go right in the starting rotation. Would be the best athlete to go to Maryland since Steve Francis.
    I agree I think Anderson is going to MD... I don't even think he has an offer from UNC so I doubt we have anything to worry about there.

Telep agrees that it's looking like Maryland:

"Anderson likely headed to MD. UNC did not offer. That leaves UVa but decision on local Comcast at 5pm. Not rocket science here."

Official: It's Maryland

Justin chose Maryland.

Quote Originally Posted by ajgoodfella7 View Post
    I agree I think Anderson is going to MD... I don't even think he has an offer from UNC so I doubt we have anything to worry about there.
    Did not mind him going to UNC because that would mean there is no chance of Shabazz going to UNC. That is still on the table.

Hoping for a Parker and Bazz commitment to Duke. Definitely need Parker more. Love the Plumlees but really need a Boozer/Shelden beast down low. They are game changers.
    The Terrapin Assassin

Did not mind him going to UNC because that would mean there is no chance of Shabazz going to UNC. That is still on the table.

Hoping for a Parker and Bazz commitment to Duke. Definitely need Parker more. Love the Plumlees but really need a Boozer/Shelden beast down low. They are game changers.
    Yeah, with a guy like Parker, we might actually have a chance to win a national championship. Oh, wait...
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

... Hoping for a Parker and Bazz commitment to Duke. Definitely need Parker more. Love the Plumlees but really need a Boozer/Shelden beast down low. They are game changers.
    If Mason stays next year HE will be a game changer!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    If Mason stays next year HE will be a game changer!
    I hope so but, in all seriousness, why do you believe this? He's a decent player now. Why are you so confident that he makes the jump to game changer? Not arguing, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I hope so but, in all seriousness, why do you believe this? He's a decent player now. Why are you so confident that he makes the jump to game changer? Not arguing, just curious.
    I truly believe this.

Mason has an NBA frame that is filling out, and has NBA length and athleticism. He is learning to play with a consistently high level of energy without making stupid plays. He is also learning how to CONSISTENTLY play defense and to gain rebounding position. He is also learning how to play post offense. I have seen significant improvement from last year to this year, although his contributions are not as splashy as we might have hoped for - but double digit rebounds is still impressive.

Another summer (with a trip to China) in addition to the six games left this year will give Mason more room to improve. Next year, Mason will be one of the leading upper classmen on the team and, with Rivers and Curry, a focus of the offense.

Although he needs to improve his post offense, Mason has shown a great ability to find our spot-up shooters passing out of the post - which will allow us to run much of the offense through him. Increased size and strength will make him much more of a force in the post offensively and defensively. I see Mason getting the opportunity to make great strides next year and being physically ready to do so.

A big factor is that there are few college players of Mason's size and skill level who stay through their junior years. I believe he will regularly contribute double-doubles, and having 20 point games every other week or so. I also see him being a guy opposing players will worry about when they drive the lane, looking for the block. I call that kind of player a game-changer.