Page 51 of 179 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 3573
  1. #1001
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    thanks buddy
    I'm a pretty big fan of kong. He is extremely realistic about his team, which is more than I can say about the majority of both Duke and Heel fans.

    I like your posts and hope that you continue to post here. You're always welcome in my online social sphere!

    That said, GTHC GTH!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

    President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

  2. #1002
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Word is Tony Parker will be UNC's guest for the game tomorrow evening. It also sounds like UNC's most recent commit will also be in attendance. Wonder if the two have met one another before?

  3. #1003
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    Word is Tony Parker will be UNC's guest for the game tomorrow evening. It also sounds like UNC's most recent commit will also be in attendance. Wonder if the two have met one another before?
    What do you think of the Tokoto signing? Good move? Should Roy have pushed for Shabazz? I know Tokoto was the talk of the town about a year and a half ago, but he wasn't improved as much as his classmates.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

    President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

  4. #1004
    I realize this may be a bit off-topic from this discussion of our UNC trolls -- haha, excuse me, friends! -- but the ESPN Rise guy tweeted this yesterday:

    @JayJayESPNDime
    Jason Jordan
    Just learned that UNC is hosting, among others, 2012 F Rosco Allen for the Duke game Sat. Fellow 2012 F Tony Parker isn't sure he's coming.

    Sorry if this was covered somewhere, I looked back a bit and only saw posts about Kong's persecution.

    Allen, a top 5 power forward, is Shabazz Muhammad's high school teammate at Bishop Gorman. Digging around a bit, it seems like he's probably going to stay out West for school, but if you're ever going to visit UNC, this is probably a good weekend to do it. As for Parker, well, we'll see what happens. I will say that if Williams ends up getting Parker, it would indeed be a power move, and it would prove that his success at seeing who Duke is interested in and going after them didn't end with Harrison Barnes. (I kid)

  5. #1005
    Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    Word is Tony Parker will be UNC's guest for the game tomorrow evening. It also sounds like UNC's most recent commit will also be in attendance. Wonder if the two have met one another before?

    Has it been confirmed that he will be there? Because Jason Jordan of ESPN Dime mentioned that Tony was not sure if he will.


    *Starter beat me to it!
    Last edited by AlaskanAssassin; 03-04-2011 at 12:16 PM. Reason: a little too late

  6. #1006
    Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    Word is Tony Parker will be UNC's guest for the game tomorrow evening. It also sounds like UNC's most recent commit will also be in attendance. Wonder if the two have met one another before?
    Not surprised about Tokoto attending since he was at the Carolina-Duke game in Chapel Hill last year while he never seemed to be able to work out a visit to see a Duke game in Cameron....Funny how that works.

    But as far as Parker attending the game, I hope our bigs put on a good show and Duke beats UNC in the process. Maybe that could give him a more favorable impression of Duke.

  7. #1007
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAssassin View Post
    Has it been confirmed that he will be there? Because Jason Jordan of ESPN Dime mentioned that Tony was not sure if he will.


    *Starter beat me to it!
    I am not sure if it is confirmed, but I cannot imagine a kid not wanting to be in CH for this game. However, it is a long way to travel.

  8. #1008
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    What do you think of the Tokoto signing? Good move? Should Roy have pushed for Shabazz? I know Tokoto was the talk of the town about a year and a half ago, but he wasn't improved as much as his classmates.
    Some IC guys that appear to have inside access say that Shabazz has expressed interest in playing with JP. But, he has said the same thing about playing with several other top players.

    They also say that UNC is recruiting Shabazz as hard now as they have ever recruited him.

  9. #1009
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    Some IC guys that appear to have inside access say that Shabazz has expressed interest in playing with JP. But, he has said the same thing about playing with several other top players.

    They also say that UNC is recruiting Shabazz as hard now as they have ever recruited him.
    The Shabazz would make no sense. Check out UNC's wings during the 2012-2013 season:
    -McD
    -Strickland
    -Bullock
    -Hairston
    -Tokoto
    -Barnes (unlikely, unless he really wants a degree)

    That is insane! Where would Shabazz fit? McD and Strickland would be seniors and highly improved. Bullock will probably find his shot by then. Hairston is a better version of Bullock. Tokoto will play some his freshman year.

    I know Duke has a similar situation (which is why I don't think Shabazz is coming to Duke), but UNC's logjam is just as bad, if not worse.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

    President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

  10. #1010
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    Agreed

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoHeel View Post
    As another fair weather, pro-Tarheel poster, I have to defend Wheat. Aside from the intrusions of real life preventing engagement with DBR, I venture that he may be like me in that, when UNC tanked last year, it simply became so painful that some distance was necessary. It was the same after our game earlier this year- after the disappointment of the loss you just have to create a little separation. And that means staying away from on-line discussions. That doesn't make Wheat (or me) any less of a fan or someone who only comes around to boast during the good times. It's just the strategy of a rational actor trying to protect one's own sanity.
    To be clear, I was only poking fun at Wheat. I actually think you, he, and sometimes Kong and other UNC fans add to the quality and variety of the discourse here. I certainly can understand not coming around to boast about being runners-up in the NIT.

  11. #1011
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    I realize this may be a bit off-topic from this discussion of our UNC trolls -- haha, excuse me, friends! -- but the ESPN Rise guy tweeted this yesterday:

    @JayJayESPNDime
    Jason Jordan
    Just learned that UNC is hosting, among others, 2012 F Rosco Allen for the Duke game Sat. Fellow 2012 F Tony Parker isn't sure he's coming.

    Sorry if this was covered somewhere, I looked back a bit and only saw posts about Kong's persecution.

    Allen, a top 5 power forward, is Shabazz Muhammad's high school teammate at Bishop Gorman. Digging around a bit, it seems like he's probably going to stay out West for school, but if you're ever going to visit UNC, this is probably a good weekend to do it. As for Parker, well, we'll see what happens. I will say that if Williams ends up getting Parker, it would indeed be a power move, and it would prove that his success at seeing who Duke is interested in and going after them didn't end with Harrison Barnes. (I kid)
    Wow, It makes you wonder if Roy and Carolina care more about using Tokoto and Allen as tools to get Shabazz than actually wanting Tokoto and Allen for what they bring to the table individually as players.

  12. #1012
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    and sometimes Kong....

    how dare you!!

  13. #1013
    I don't know, haven't the Heels been in on Tokoto from close to the start, back when he was viewed as a potential No. 1 player in this class before his stock dropped somewhat? I seem to recall Duke was on him really early too, possibly earlier, but then went in a different reaction.

    As for Allen, it's probably pretty mutual, even if he doesn't seem interested in going there. Who wouldn't want to have a sweet seat for this game? And I'm sure UNC would have no problem with him going back and talking about what a great time he had.

  14. #1014
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    Wow, It makes you wonder if Roy and Carolina care more about using Tokoto and Allen as tools to get Shabazz than actually wanting Tokoto and Allen for what they bring to the table individually as players.
    It makes me wonder a bit as well. Roy consistently plays more people than K does. As you know, lately K has limited his rotation to only 7 or 8 guys. I imagine any coach lucky enough to land Shabazz will take whatever steps it takes to utilize him. This means less minutes for upperclassmen at the same position. Also, if Bullock or PJ Hairston have exceptional years next year, one or both could be gone. If I were Roy, I would be stockpiling 4's and 5's instead of 3 guards. But, remember last year when UNC had 6 players 6'9" or taller? How many were playing at the end of the year? Injuries, the NBA, and transfers can deplete your roster awfully quick.

  15. #1015
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    I don't know, haven't the Heels been in on Tokoto from close to the start, back when he was viewed as a potential No. 1 player in this class before his stock dropped somewhat? I seem to recall Duke was on him really early too, possibly earlier, but then went in a different reaction.

    As for Allen, it's probably pretty mutual, even if he doesn't seem interested in going there. Who wouldn't want to have a sweet seat for this game? And I'm sure UNC would have no problem with him going back and talking about what a great time he had.
    I think UNC was in with him very early as you say. I think Coach K and the staff were interested in him, but probably just didn't get that vibe Coach likes with players. Had he a more advanced skill set, Coach would probably have pushed further on, but there is only so much in time and resources a program can expend, so you have to make choices. I just think Tokoto fell in that area where the staff doesn't feel enough interest from the player to justify further efforts given his skill set.

    That's not to say he won't be a good, very good, or even great player. Seems a nice kid and is a super run-and-jump athlete. He also appears to learn lessons and work to improve when weaknesses are exposed.

    Don't be surprised to see him jump up more than a few spots in the ratings, and not just because of the elite school bump. He has improved his jump shot some, and his handle. Who knows how good he can be if he keeps improving, especially with a college level weight program reshaping his body.

    But then, that's true of most elite level prospects.

  16. #1016
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    I don't know, haven't the Heels been in on Tokoto from close to the start, back when he was viewed as a potential No. 1 player in this class before his stock dropped somewhat? I seem to recall Duke was on him really early too, possibly earlier, but then went in a different reaction.

    As for Allen, it's probably pretty mutual, even if he doesn't seem interested in going there. Who wouldn't want to have a sweet seat for this game? And I'm sure UNC would have no problem with him going back and talking about what a great time he had.
    Yeah, but it seemed like UNC cooled on him for a while. I think it might have coincided with him sliding in the rankings due to having a bad summer. Kong or anyone else confirm if this is correct or not?

  17. #1017
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Nashville
    Quote Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
    I think UNC was in with him very early as you say. I think Coach K and the staff were interested in him, but probably just didn't get that vibe Coach likes with players. Had he a more advanced skill set, Coach would probably have pushed further on, but there is only so much in time and resources a program can expend, so you have to make choices. I just think Tokoto fell in that area where the staff doesn't feel enough interest from the player to justify further efforts given his skill set.

    That's not to say he won't be a good, very good, or even great player. Seems a nice kid and is a super run-and-jump athlete. He also appears to learn lessons and work to improve when weaknesses are exposed.

    Don't be surprised to see him jump up more than a few spots in the ratings, and not just because of the elite school bump. He has improved his jump shot some, and his handle. Who knows how good he can be if he keeps improving, especially with a college level weight program reshaping his body.

    But then, that's true of most elite level prospects.
    Yup, Tokoto's not a Shabazz-like coup, but he's a prospect I would have rather they not signed. He's 6'7, very long, and has a vertical in the 40" range - pretty much the perfect physical prospect if he can add some muscle.

    He's supposedly fairly raw though, and didn't exactly come up big against non-Wisconsin competition in the AAU circuit last summer. I wouldn't be particularly worried about him his first year or two - after all, Roy's not exactly known for easing the transition into college for raw, athletic wings - but he could be scary as an upperclassman. If I was a UNC fan, I'd probably be pleased enough with this.

  18. #1018
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    Sounds like

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Yup, Tokoto's not a Shabazz-like coup, but he's a prospect I would have rather they not signed. He's 6'7, very long, and has a vertical in the 40" range - pretty much the perfect physical prospect if he can add some muscle.

    He's supposedly fairly raw though, and didn't exactly come up big against non-Wisconsin competition in the AAU circuit last summer. I wouldn't be particularly worried about him his first year or two - after all, Roy's not exactly known for easing the transition into college for raw, athletic wings - but he could be scary as an upperclassman. If I was a UNC fan, I'd probably be pleased enough with this.
    maybe he's the second coming of Orlando Melendez, at least in terms of basketball?

  19. #1019
    Is it confirmed that both Parker and Allen will be at the game? Have been thinking about this and if I were Roy Williams I wouldn't care if I won this game or not. I'd pound it inside to my bigs all day regardless of the score and here's why:

    UNC wasn't expected to win the conference. Duke is. If I lose so what? A number one seed in the NCAA's isn't in my future anyway. I have two top shelf bigs here wanting to see how they'd fit in to my offense

    Those recruits will clearly see I utilize my post guys as much as possible. Parker has already openly wondered about how Duke utilizes their post players, no? Well he'd see how I do it and know he'd get plenty of touches.

    Thoughts?

  20. #1020
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Just read a interesting story that JP committed to UNC when he visited last month. I wonder why he didn't let the cat of the bag publicly? I guess he wanted to do it in a press conference?

Similar Threads

  1. Quincy Miller to Baylor
    By houstondukie in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1137
    Last Post: 03-31-2011, 01:23 PM
  2. Michael Chandler Recruiting Thread
    By Big Pappa in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 05-14-2010, 05:13 PM
  3. TaShawn Mabry recruiting thread
    By shoutingncu in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 12-08-2009, 11:47 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •