Page 5 of 179 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jjh1080 View Post

Case in point, would Duke have been better off recruiting Love over Singler? Towards the end Duke gave up on Love and went after Singler, I think they saw somethings we fans didn't.
    not true. early on, we wanted both of them; there are reasons we backed off of love, but it was never an either/or situation with those two players. if anything, i'd say the staff saw them as very different players whose games would compliment each others quite nicely, a la battier and brand.

Yikes! Perhaps we should all review -jk's sticky on the front page as it is certainly getting a little testy in the 2012 forum.

I do have a few questions regarding the rankings:

It seems to me the preliminary rankings (frosh, soph years) that you find in the mega-recruiting sites (Scout, Rivals, etc) are much more geared around the player's physical attributes - overall athleticism, if you will - rather than focusing more on the technical side of his game. And as the next few years come pass, players move up or down depending on how they develop the "little" (realistically, not so little) things like footwork, ball handling, et al. Is this - generally speaking, of course - the case? Is this what allows someone like Justin Anderson whom several of you all have mentioned as being superbly athletic, but not overly technically skilled to be rated as highly as he is? Do you all expect him to start slipping down the rankings?

Unfortunately, I don't have much of an opportunity to see the kids play so I'm one of the miscreants who relies mostly on the websites for the info (along with you all, of course) so I'm curious to hear the perspectives from those more in the know. Either way, 2012 looks awfully bright for us to snag at least one of the multitude of talented wings.

I'm not understanding the criticism of Justin Anderson on here.

For one on youtube, the interviews he gives are insightful. The way he speaks and body language are mature and structured.

Second I am not seeing Ismail Muhammed out there. He is not going to be leader of the skills competition any time soon but he isn't as RAW as some on here are leading him out to be.

I don't get it.

And this whole argument between Murphy and Anderson might be moot.

Duke is closing in on Shabazz Muhammed. I think we have a real good chance of landing this kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockabeau View Post
    I'm not understanding the criticism of Justin Anderson on here.

For one on youtube, the interviews he gives are insightful. The way he speaks and body language are mature and structured.

Second I am not seeing Ismail Muhammed out there. He is not going to be leader of the skills competition any time soon but he isn't as RAW as some on here are leading him out to be.

I don't get it.
    It seemed to me that the (overly heated) discussion of Anderson centered on the possible gap between his athletic development and his skill development. Nobody questioned his maturity or ability to give insight, and there don't seem to be any questions concerning his character; the only question was about who seems to be (or should be) the top recruiting priority right now for Duke.

Duke is closing in on Shabazz Muhammed. I think we have a real good chance of landing this kid.
    Even if we did suddenly land Shabazz (and I think we should try, if only for the awesome Persian name) I don't know for sure if that would rule out Duke going after some of the others. Does anybody know what the staff's approach here is? Are we looking to suit up just one of these wings or is Duke trying to nab as many as possible?

Also, is there any news out there regarding 2012 prospects that aren't wings? Or are we completely focused on the wings at this point?

I'm not trying to dneigrate Justin Anderson, I was simply refuting Knarf's first post when he presented Duke's 2012 recruiting targets as a Top 3 of Tokoto, Rose, and Anderson. That's not true, and if its not what you were trying to say, I apologize.

We are recruiting a number of wings and Justin simply isn't at the top of the list.

Duke won the championship this year because they played "team" basketball but no way does Wall appear to be a "team" player. I know that many teams were after him but it seems like Duke gave up on him because they sensed something a midst with him.
    Duke gave up on John Wall when he announced he was attending Kentucky. Not a moment before.

Case in point, would Duke have been better off recruiting Love over Singler? Towards the end Duke gave up on Love and went after Singler, I think they saw somethings we fans didn't.
    My recollection is that Duke was pursuing both Singler and Love (who, after all, play different positions), and got a commitment from Kyle before they gave up on Love. The two players were in no way an either/or situation.

Where have you read that we are closing in on Muhammed? We have yet to offer him yet, and he listed as having high intrest in UCLA, Arizona, Texas, Kansas, and UNC who is the only team not to have offered him on his "high" list. He was in attendance at the Duke-UNC game, and Coach K have had contact with him but I wouldn't use the words that "were closing in on him". Are we intrested? Absolutely. But we aren't at the point where we are close with him as of yet.

I am putting two and two together. Pure speculation.

Search for Shabazz Muhammed Interview on youtube . He is very articulate and bright. Same with justin Anderson.

Also, he visited us and enjoyed the atmosphere. at Cameron when we blew out UNC.

I think no one knows who is priority #1 is between Murphy,Anderson and Muhammed. I have no idea.
    But I think tokoto is on the backburner at this point. he will be a heel

We never gave up on either of them. Love or Singler. Throughout the entire recruiting process it was thought that Love was going to go to UCLA, which is exactly what happened. Like Wall, we did not give up on Love until he announced that he was going to UCLA, period. Singler had nothing to do with Love's recruitment or vice versa... Duke's hat was there when he commited to UCLA along with many others.

Now could we please stop crying over spilled milk? John Wall, Kevin Love and Harrison Barnes aren't coming to Duke, period.

Let's use this thread to talk about the 2012 recruiting class, not the what could have been...

Here is an article that just came up today on Shabazz Muhammad. It is a premium article but the title should give you what you need to know:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/05/t...-high-on-duke/

I am putting two and two together. Pure speculation.

Search for Shabazz Muhammed Interview on youtube . He is very articulate and bright. Same with justin Anderson.

Also, he visited us and enjoyed the atmosphere. at Cameron when we blew out UNC.

I think no one knows who is priority #1 is between Murphy,Anderson and Muhammed. I have no idea.
    But I think tokoto is on the backburner at this point. he will be a heel
    Linguistic acuity notwithstanding, and despite the opinions of several others, this is the most convincing argument you can make?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    Linguistic acuity notwithstanding, and despite the opinions of several others, this is the most convincing argument you can make?
    If you don't believe me then take a look at the Blue Devil Nation article. Pretty much proves my point.tyhaveaniceday

Quote Originally Posted by Osiagledknarf View Post
    ... John Wall, Kevin Love and Harrison Barnes aren't coming to Duke, period. ...
    Welllll. HB will get to visit once next year, and experience the crowd at Cameron celebrating a victory.

I doubt he wants to stick around ol' roy for the following year.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I doubt he wants to stick around ol' roy for the following year.
    Obviously I don't know, but I would be surprised if HB didn't stay for his sophomore year. If he's the consensus #1 pick he'd leave, but I don't think that's likely to be the case, and the possibility of a lockout would also argue for staying a 2nd year. I think the same could be said of Kyrie (although I'd say his chances of being one-and-done are a little higher than HB's, but still not incredibly high).

If Duke gets the 2011 recruiting class we hope for and UNC's is as good as it looks like it's shaping up to be, the 2011-12 season could be an epic struggle between good and evil.

I suspect both schools will be starting over to a certain extent by the time these 2012 kids are coming to school.

Believe it or not but the Duke coaching staff spends surprisingly little time looking at internet recruiting sites. They prefer to make up their own minds.

Shocking but true.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Obviously I don't know, but I would be surprised if HB didn't stay for his sophomore year. If he's the consensus #1 pick he'd leave, but I don't think that's likely to be the case, and the possibility of a lockout would also argue for staying a 2nd year. I think the same could be said of Kyrie (although I'd say his chances of being one-and-done are a little higher than HB's, but still not incredibly high).

If Duke gets the 2011 recruiting class we hope for and UNC's is as good as it looks like it's shaping up to be, the 2011-12 season could be an epic struggle between good and evil.

I suspect both schools will be starting over to a certain extent by the time these 2012 kids are coming to school.
    Out of all of the mock NBA Drafts I have seen so far, Harrison Barnes has been the consensus #1 pick and I think that's how it will stay. Harrison is 6'8 with the ability to play shooting guard, athletic, polished, and hes very smart. If he performs this year as expected, I dont think there's any doubt that he will be the number 1 pick. (Obviously there are other factors such as team who gets the pick, and other payers that perform very well, but as we are seeing this year with Wall, that very well might not matter all that much)

As for who has the better shot at leaving, I would say the only way Kyrie does leave is if we win a national championship and he is a Top 5 Pick and even if that does happen (which both happening is a good possibility), I still dont think hed be completely sold on leaving as he is a very smart kid and the potential to play with Austin Rivers would be very enticing.

I also dont think we will be necessarily rebuilding in 2012.
    Supposing Mason, Kyrie, and Austin (if we land him) are all gone by then. (Although If we do land Austin, theres a possibility he would stay for 2012-2013) we would have very good Seniors in Seth, Andre, and Ryan (barring any of them leave early which imo, wont happen), Juniors Josh and Tyler, and sophmores Mike and Tyler (While Tyler is more of a project I believe Mike could have a breakout year his sophmore season, I believe he is that good).
    Then you have to factor in the recruits we get for 2012 (which we wll most likely get at least one big name and a few others). Obviously, its way too early to be predicting the lineup for 2012-2013, and some of the players I have listed might not be here, but I am pretty confident Duke will still be solidly in the mix during that season.

Here is an article on Alex Murphy who will visit Duke on Monday:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/05/d...top-prospects/

This sentence in the article stands out:

Murphy said that Duke had a firm place on his list and that they had yet to offer but that will in my opinion change tomorrow.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Here is an article on Alex Murphy who will visit Duke on Monday:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/05/d...top-prospects/

This sentence in the article stands out:
    I saw the picture in that article and thought it was Scheyer (his mouth is wide open as well). Maybe he could carry on the Scheyerface legacy.