Page 49 of 179 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast
    Duke had 9 consecutive years of Elton Brand (2 years), Carlos Boozer (3 years), and Shelden Williams (4 years). Those 3 men were pretty beefy and pretty successful. I don't think it would be too hard to convince a big guy that success can be had down low with Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    No, from a third party's mouth who we have no idea if he even knows the kid. Don't be so quick to believe things you read Kong...

But to follow that line of reasoning which one of UNC's frontline players would be a physical player that this kid could associate himself with?

Zeller? nope, unless you count fall away hook shots as being physical
    Henson? Please... if he tried to be physical he would break in half...
    Knox? maybe, but is he REALLY a UNC player?
    Barnes? only if you like ""physical spot up jumpshooters

Can't say that I remember one UNC frontcourt player who has backed down an opponent in the paint this year... if you have video of this, please provide a link.

So... if the kid follows this supposed line of reasoning, UNC is no better off than Duke.
    As a true beloved Duke Blue Devils fan, you can rest assured that my posts are legit and truthful. I have no reason to exaggerate any conversations made in regards to Montrezl. I understand totally that we have to sometimes take information from 3rd parties with a grain of salt but I'm merely attempting to share some information that is totally truthful from actual face to face conversations. Montrezl is only a junior but I actually brought his name up first on DBR when he was a sophmore. If you find the thread "Class of 2012 JP Tokoto offered" you will find a post from me dated 1-28-10 trying to alert people of his skills. He can be a true diamond in the rough found in our own backyard - Eastern NC.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    I understand my posts can stray away from neutral opinion, but anything other than a Duke perspective on this board seems like a shot at Duke. I am not always trying to get little jabs in, but I do swing for the fences when I get the chance. I may not always succeed and I may not always be well received, but it is what it is. You guys consistently
    take more shots at me. Cut me some slack and let me have some fun too.

UNC may loose another two guys to the NBA next year in Henson and Zeller. McAdoo is a 5* big that could probably jump after a year if he chooses. So, UNC will have many more bigs in the NBA than Duke does at that point. Will they be Boozer or Brand, probably not, but they are making millions in the NBA. That is the goal of every kid, to play in the NBA and make millions. Some make it, some don't. You are pointing to two of the dozens of big men Duke has had and saying they are better than the entirety of all of Roy's past big men combined. If you look at all of Roy's current players in the league, both from UNC and from Kansas, I think you will see things from a different perspective. Is it quality over quantity or a mixture of the two? UNC cannot claim Kansas players from Roy's era, but Roy can. If you are pitching your program to a kid and you say, "I coached Boozer and Brand", would that be more impressive than, "I have recruited and coached 8 guys that played your position that are currently making millions in the NBA."

To me, it is clear cut. A blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. Duke found two big nuts a decade ago. UNC finds a nut and sends it to the NBA almost every year.

I am very proud of my final example.
    Again, compare the current list of Duke bigs and UNC bigs in the NBA right now. On TV 4 times a week. Show that list instead of talking in spin. You constantly flip flop back and forth between "sending bigs to the league" and "bigs performing in the league". But you always spin it to try to say UNC comes out on top. They don't. The facts say otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Again, compare the current list of Duke bigs and UNC bigs in the NBA right now. On TV 4 times a week. Show that list instead of talking in spin. You constantly flip flop back and forth between "sending bigs to the league" and "bigs performing in the league". But you always spin it to try to say UNC comes out on top. They don't. The facts say otherwise.
    The best thing to do with kong is ignore it. Serves no purpose, is off base more than on it.

I find it pretty ridiculous that Brand and Boozer are disregarded but somehow having tons of big men never develop under Roy's guidance (apart from say Hansbrough) puts him in a better position. Sure he can sit there and say I put players in the NBA, but it doesn't seem like he did Ed Davis any favors in a similar way that one argues K didn't do McRoberts any help.
    Who exactly can Roy or UNC point to as developing under their watch in the past 10 years? Haywood? May? M. Williams? B. Wright? Hansbrough but he isn't exactly a sell on players trying to make the NBA.
    Sure, UNC can get you a nice first contract, but as Jay Bilas has often said, NBA players make their money on their 2nd and 3rd contracts. Not to mention, Duke can talk about similar players with Shelden Williams, Dunleavy, McRoberts who made similar money and lead similar careers.
    And I'm sure the big recruiting battle down low will be about Tony Parker. The two big men who come closest to this kid are May or Brand. UNC has as much history as Duke with a big body, banger, who isn't the tallest kid. 6'9 260 lbs and not sure he fits into Roy's running style while the other coach has 'made' an all-star, max contract player out of a similar sized player.
    All I know is that Duke is bound to find another nut if for no other reason that they are always on TV and have no big man so a big can get minutes right away whereas places like OSU or Syracuse have depth at these positions.

Quote Originally Posted by 6th Man View Post
    I don't think it would be too hard to convince a big guy that success can be had down low with Duke.
    I don't want to speak for him (and I certainly don't want to think like him ), but I think Kong's point is if you have to "convince" someone of something you're starting at a disadvantage.

Actually, I really think he's just trying to tweak us, but he didn't invent the generally held perception. Arguing with Kong about whether the perception is reality (and I think most of us know it isn't) is sort of a fruitless endeavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I don't want to speak for him (and I certainly don't want to think like him ), but I think Kong's point is if you have to "convince" someone of something you're starting at a disadvantage.

Actually, I really think he's just trying to tweak us, but he didn't invent the generally held perception. Arguing with Kong about whether the perception is reality (and I think most of us know it isn't) is sort of a fruitless endeavor.
    Yeah, kind of like trying to convince a recruit that a couple of 6'11" bean poles are "bigs, just like/relevant to you," to a kid who'll play at about 6'8" and 275 lbs and mostly with his back to the basket. Apples and oranges -- entirely different games (i.e. irrelevant to a kid like Parker).

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    6'11" bean poles
    That's jumping bean poles to you.

Red face

I want to take this opportunity to set the record straight about a few things in my previous posts and also to apologize. After going back through and reading my posts regarding our recruiting and other issues, I certainly realize I came across strong and in a manner that I regret. I don't think I'm entirely wrong about everything I said, but I do realize I should have been more tactful and posted in a manner that would indicate how much I really do respect the team and staff. I have follwed Duke basketball for over 25 years and I think the team, staff and coaches are second to none, but you sure couldn't have discerned that from the way I posted. More important, I want everyone to know I'm not a troll, a troller or anything like that. I didn't even know what that was in relation to an online forum until I Googled it. Again, I sincerly aplogize to all of the other forum members I offended by my posts. I would have appreciated a warning before being put in the penalty box for three days, but I suppose I got what I deserved. I hope this clears things up. Thank you for your consideration. Sincerly,

WV DUKEFAN

McAdoo is a 5* big that could probably jump after a year if he chooses.
    You realize how absurd it is to use this as an argument that UNC is good at developing bigs, right?

That's the whole point. UNC had nothing to do with getting guys like Ed Davis and Marvin Williams to the NBA - they would have been lottery picks no matter where they spent their freshman year.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy; can't-miss big man recruits haven't come to Duke recently because can't-miss big man recruits haven't come to Duke recently. All it takes is one Tony Parker for that to change, just like Kyrie Irving will change it about PGs.

would that be more impressive than, "I have recruited and coached 8 guys that played your position that are currently making millions in the NBA."
    tayshaunmedal.jpg

kong...stop...you're embarrassing yourself...there is NO comparison between K and roy...none...zip...

K has shed him AND deano in the rearview....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Here's how tokoto announced it, live on Fox 6 Milwaukee, at 10:14 pm central standard time, on a school night, no less: "I will be a tar heel. I'm attending north carolina university ..."

yes. "north carolina university." guess he should have had cue cards.

oh, and just in case you were dusting off your "but ANYONE could have coached those guys to the gold" i dug this up...

thumb.jpg

so, again....just stop with the huck comparisons...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    That's the whole point. UNC had nothing to do with getting guys like Ed Davis and Marvin Williams to the NBA - they would have been lottery picks no matter where they spent their freshman year.
    If you're pitching your program to a blue-chip recruit, you have to assume that the kid thinks of himself as someone who's in this category of being NBA-ready. So you could try to sell your program on how well you can develop players who aren't very good to begin with, but that's not what the kid wants to hear. He wants to hear that you're going to showcase his abilities and that you're going to prepare him for the NBA, preferably in a short amount of time.

One of the best examples of Duke actually developing a big man was Brian Zoubek. He came in somewhat highly rated out of high school, but he apparently had mostly beaten up on smaller opponents. Despite limited physical tools and a slew of injuries, Wojo and the rest of the coaching staff turned him into a formidable player who any team would love to have. Yet you won't see Zoubek cited by too many people as an example of why you should come to Duke.

Back on topic... how does Tokoto affect UNC's chances at getting Shabazz?

Probably not much. Shabazz is significantly more talented right now and would likely be ahead of the rotation. However, UNC still has Bullock and PJ Hairston who are of similar size and build as Shabazz. How he sees himself competing with those guys will more likely determine whether he'll go.

In my honest opinion...

Shabazz will not be going to school in the state of North Carolina. There is an incredible logjam at both the 2 and 3 for both of the schools of his list. Not content that he may not go to Duke, but nearly equally happy he's probably not going to UNC.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    tayshaunmedal.jpg

kong...stop...you're embarrassing yourself...there is NO comparison between K and roy...none...zip...

K has shed him AND deano in the rearview....
    oh, I will stop because the Mod asked me too.

To Block Kong

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    The best thing to do with kong is ignore it. Serves no purpose, is off base more than on it.
    Go to Forum Actions - General Settings - Edit Ignore List - add kong123

*works like a charm*

is there also a way to block posts that quote Kong?