Page 41 of 179 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast
    Just so you know, Kong:

Many, many Duke fans who post to this site have gotten ripped for questioning our Big-Man program over the last several years.

Don't take it personally.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    But it has surprised me that Parker has replaced Shabazz as the "must get" focus for 2012 [at least for UNC??].
    Parker is huge priority for Duke, too.

Marshall Plumlee doesn't project to be a high-caliber starter at Duke (There's nothing wrong with that, btw; every team needs role players and of course projections can be wrong!), so Duke needs a big man in a bad way from the 2012 class. We need a big AT LEAST as much as UNC does, and while I love the recent commits of Murph and Rasheed, I feel like priority #1 for this class hasn't been met yet. (That's just my opinion, though).

Is Parker himself a "must get" for Duke? Well, yes and no. A big for sure is a "must get" but Duke has had success in the past without a dominant scoring post option. If we can't nab Parker, then getting Landen Lucas in the truck would also be good. Lucas has good hands and is a poised, high-IQ player that can function in a motion offense. He would be a nice fallback option, imo. I just hope if we can't get Parker that he doesn't go to UNC. That would be a bitter pill to swallow since we were on him so early.

Bazz

Duke is seriously LOADED at the 2 and 3 in 2012. I really think this ends our chances with Bazz.

Not that I am dissapointed, I think RS will be an excellent 4 year guy. But we obviously need a dependable low post scorer more than a SG or SF for that year.

what I find beyond hilarious is that people andany UNC fans say duke doesnt develop big men...yet duke has elton brand (former mvp candidate in 2006) and carlos boozer (all star calibur player). What I find funny is, what big men has UNC developed?!!!! did duncan go to UNC? did gasol go to UNC? did i miss something here? If they think brendan haywood is their best representation of developing big men...then LOL

Quote Originally Posted by CharlestonDevil View Post
    Duke is seriously LOADED at the 2 and 3 in 2012. I really think this ends our chances with Bazz.

Not that I am dissapointed, I think RS will be an excellent 4 year guy. But we obviously need a dependable low post scorer more than a SG or SF for that year.
    Duke does not share your pessimism regarding Muhammad.

Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    I don't think there is room at Duke or UNC.

UNC has Bullock and PJ Hairston that can play the 3, and they should both still be there. Heck, so could HB. Doubtful, but possible. However, SM is the kind of talent that coaches recruit over the top of current players.
    He seems like a good kid so I hope he does not go play for Calhoun if he does not come to Duke.

I think you'll find Bazz going to UK or Louisville. Remember the talk before about him and Purvis being a package deal.

I also think OSU will be the team to beat for Parker. For Duke to land him K will need to pull off one of his greatest sells ever because he can't possibly see how he fits into the Duke offense over the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by dcdrumsinc View Post
    what I find beyond hilarious is that people andany UNC fans say duke doesnt develop big men...yet duke has elton brand (former mvp candidate in 2006) and carlos boozer (all star calibur player). What I find funny is, what big men has UNC developed?!!!! did duncan go to UNC? did gasol go to UNC? did i miss something here? If they think brendan haywood is their best representation of developing big men...then LOL
    It's just a mix of hatred for Duke in addition to people being incapable or unwilling to look beyond the here and now. Our ADD culture will do that to you. Shelden left just five years ago, right? That's just outside of their mental capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Will the Murphy verbal affect the Shabazz/Tokoto/Anderson recruiting?

ESPN has them all listed as 3s. However, Rivals has Shabazz as a 2.
    Re: tokoto. I read somewhere tokoto is visiting nc and Duke next weekend. When Austin Rivers was in Milwaukee, tokoto played in the game before Austin's. Who should be there by ol' huck, getting a hug from tokoto's mom (VIOLATION). I think huck wants to adopt tokoto. He has been in wisconsin to see tokoto A LOT.

I love Duke as much as anyone but how is Plumlee III a McDAA? Fair is fair. Tonight he's not even one of the top five players on Coach K Court.

I don't know much about [Tony Parker's] recruitment, but I did notice that UNC is not on the list of who he is considering according to ESPN. Did they just miss it or what?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...69/tony-parker
    Last edited by JBDuke; 02-13-2011 at 11:51 AM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    I don't know much about his recruitment, but I did notice that UNC is not on the list of who he is considering according to ESPN. Did they just miss it or what?

Those lists are notoriously inaccurate, with ESPN's info having a worse reputation than most. Not sure it means anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    He doesn't want to set screens for 4 years, he wants to play two years and jump to the NBA.
    Should this be taken as an insinuation? Is setting screens all that Brand, Boozer, and Williams did?
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    I don't know much about his recruitment, but I did notice that UNC is not on the list of who he is considering according to ESPN. Did they just miss it or what?

Sometimes you have to be patient with ESPN. I am sure they will get around to updating Parker's profile after they are done writing about Brett Favre possibly unretiring to pitch for the Yankees or Red Sox or to join LeBron in South Beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Those lists are notoriously inaccurate, with ESPN's info having a worse reputation than most. Not sure it means anything at all.
    it's much better since telep got there

Quote Originally Posted by rotogod00 View Post
    it's much better since telep got there
    Ahhh, you beat me to it. ESPN does say UNC is involved at the bottom of his write up.

Quote Originally Posted by NJbasketball View Post
    Coach K informed Coach Hurley, who recently won his 1000th game, that Duke will begin recruiting St Anthony PG Kyle Anderson. Anderson is the top rated PG according to Rivals. He is very skilled for 6'8" with great passing ability. He reminds me of Jalen Rose.

Here is a write up from St. Anthony's site
    It's time to ramp up the recruitment of this young stud. I love his game.

Call me crazy but I like him just as much as Shabazz, although their games are obviously quite different.

Can someone start a fresh thread for Kyle Anderson since that article indicates that Duke is now recruiting him as part of the 2012 class. Would appreciate it.

Has the proverbial recruiting net been cast wide enough on 2012 bigs?

It really is a huge priority to get one.

Would love to see Duke get involved with AJ Hammons. Great size, good hands, and good mobility for that size.

His current offers (Xavier, Purdue, Indiana) suggest that he would have the grades, too.

I guess the question would be mutual interest (although I'm not sure which side would balk).

We know about Duke's interest in Tony Parker and Landen Lucas. Would like to hear a third name pop up at some point. I like Hammons.

Here the thing folks seem to be forgetting with our Bigs..

Since the No Show by Livingstone we havent had a truely ELITE PG, Lead guard running the show

Thats been a while. I think a Baseline prospect that was looking at Duke previously was saying who is "Gonna get me the Ball?

In our recent recruiting efforts... it seems the staff is determined not to run out of guards again. Cook, Rivers, Irving, Thornton, Curry, Sulimon(sp?) Dawkins.
    That issue is seemingly solved.

Forgive me for playing the what-if game for a second
    But what would LT's and BZ's scoring average have been if they had a Kyrie type player feeding them the ball for 4 yrs? No disrespect for the guys we have had. They did their best and were rewarded with a title, so it all worked out, eh?

Now that we have those guys in the system, in the rotation and on the bench, it ought to be A LOT easier for a Big to see how they fit a Duke.. Im not overly concerned.

Even if we lose out on a few of the top Post guys ... Guess what... OUR coach has proven he can get it done with a variety of guys who have different attributes to make an impact. So the message is... "resistance is futile, you will be assimilated"

Other coachs seemingly cant make it work if they dont have the right pieces..

Case in point:
    Do you think Roy Williams would have won a title with our roster last year if he was our coach?

So wouldnt you rather ride with the guy who CAN get it done? Seems like an easy answer to me....

Here is a stray thought...
    Duke has some limitations/challenges that other schools dont have to the same degree. Large state suppported school, partial qualifiers, campus on the beach ... etc. you see where Im going...

Lets just say that K had gotten his big break not from Duke but say rather DePaul, or Miami, or the Univesity of Hawaii... How much did Duke shape K to be the coach he is today, or would he have accomplished the same things elsewhere? If he were the coach at Kentucky where its easier to get players enrolled ffor example... How many titles would he have won by now? Is there a sliding scale to say well his 4 at Duke would be like 8 anywhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Here is a stray thought...
    Duke has some limitations/challenges that other schools dont have to the same degree. Large state suppported school, partial qualifiers, campus on the beach ... etc. you see where Im going...

Lets just say that K had gotten his big break not from Duke but say rather DePaul, or Miami, or the Univesity of Hawaii... How much did Duke shape K to be the coach he is today, or would he have accomplished the same things elsewhere? If he were the coach at Kentucky where its easier to get players enrolled ffor example... How many titles would he have won by now? Is there a sliding scale to say well his 4 at Duke would be like 8 anywhere else?
    I'm not a Duke grad unfortunately but I don't think Coach K needs a sliding scale for being the coach of Duke. Certainly there are some very good ball players who are not Duke material but, for a player who is, Duke has allot more to offer than UK. A full ride at Duke is quite a coup. Look at the post-basketball careers for Duke players whether or not they have an NBA career vs UK or elsewhere. There is a reason why there are so many ex-Dukies in the media and coaching ranks. I know High School ballers all pretty much think they're future NBA All-Stars but they are also likely aware of the long list of McDonalds AAs who never had and NBA career. As a recruiter I'd like to have a Duke scholarship to dangle in front any potential Duke eligible recruit to go along with the reputation of being a basketball powerhouse. I'm more surprised when a prospect like Brandon Knight chooses UK than when a player like KI or AR choose Duke.