Page 21 of 179 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Thanks for the link. I hope Duke gets him. Very strong moves to the basket and a nice stroke from the outside. Reminds a little of Mike Dunleavy. Perhaps with a little more athleticism and basketball talent ? Hard to believe but he won't even be a freshman in college for three more years. Plays for my high school along with Kaleb Tarczewski - that's not a bad high school front court.
    Agree with your observations about his game.

One point---Murphy and 'Bazz are in the class of 2012; they will be entering college at this time two years from now. I'd like to see Duke as their college choice.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Thanks for the link. I hope Duke gets him. Very strong moves to the basket and a nice stroke from the outside. Reminds a little of Mike Dunleavy. Perhaps with a little more athleticism and basketball talent ? Hard to believe but he won't even be a freshman in college for three more years. Plays for my high school along with Kaleb Tarczewski - that's not a bad high school front court.
    Murphy has one advantage over Dunleavy though. Dunleavy grew 4-6 inches from the summer before his senior year to the beginning of his freshman year. While this provided him with great guard/wing skill with a tall frame, it took him several years to fill out. This became a bit of an issue in '02 when he had to play extended minutes at the 4. He was an offensive mismatch but also a defensive one as well due to his strength. Murphy is already 6'8" and seems to be filling in ok but still seems to have some strong guard/wing skills. I think that this will allow him to be used in more positions defensively than Dunleavy. This doesn't mean that he will be better or even as good but it means his body is more developed and ready for the physicality of college ball.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Agree with your observations about his game.

One point---Murphy and 'Bazz are in the class of 2012; they will be entering college at this time two years from now. I'd like to see Duke as their college choice.
    Thanks for the correction. I realize they are the class of 2012. My brain was not functioning properly. LOL. I guess I was thinking that their first year of playing college b-ball will be their third season from this year (if that makes sense?). Even still, all of that class still has quite a while to more fully develop physically and to further expand their basketball skills. From the highlight tapes, Murphy looks like he could be very solid Division I player and maybe better than that.

Muhammed seems to like Duke a lot. Duke likes Muhammad a lot.

However, the same thing can be said about Muhammad and UNC, Muhammad and Kansas, and several other schools. The kid is a stud basketball player, a solid student and seems willing to go away for school.

So, he's being recruited at a high level and Duke will bring its A game.

As for losing a Plan B or two, it could happen. That's always the risk you take going after the absolute cream of the crop. Krzyzewski lost a few Plan Bs waiting on Kyle Singler and Kyrie Irving, fwiw. This time last year Ray McCallum was practically begging for a Duke offer. Didnt' get one. Seemed to turn out okay.

Krzyzewski has a pretty good track record following his instincts in these matters. Not perfect but pretty darn good.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

However, the same thing can be said about Muhammad and UNC, Muhammad and Kansas, and several other schools. The kid is a stud basketball player, a solid student and seems willing to go away for school.

As for losing a Plan B or two, it could happen. That's always the risk you take going after the absolute cream of the crop. Krzyzewski lost a few Plan Bs waiting on Kyle Singler and Kyrie Irving, fwiw. This time last year Ray McCallum was practically begging for a Duke offer. Didnt' get one. Seemed to turn out okay.

Krzyzewski has a pretty good track record following his instincts in these matters. Not perfect but pretty darn good.
    This is what I forgot to mention. IIRC, in his latest interview (about recruiting), he failed to mention Kansas at all. Is this a product of him losing interest in them or him just forgetting about them momentarily.

Also, I think Memphis will end up big players in his recruitment along with Duke, UNC, and maybe Kansas.

Good points....Thanks for your thoughts Jimsumner. I look forward to seeing how everything unfolds and hopefully we get Shabazz.

It's also good to know that it appears that Shabazz is not such a UNC lean as J.P. Tokoto has been mentioned to be.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    Murphy has one advantage over Dunleavy though. Dunleavy grew 4-6 inches from the summer before his senior year to the beginning of his freshman year. While this provided him with great guard/wing skill with a tall frame, it took him several years to fill out. This became a bit of an issue in '02 when he had to play extended minutes at the 4. He was an offensive mismatch but also a defensive one as well due to his strength. Murphy is already 6'8" and seems to be filling in ok but still seems to have some strong guard/wing skills. I think that this will allow him to be used in more positions defensively than Dunleavy. This doesn't mean that he will be better or even as good but it means his body is more developed and ready for the physicality of college ball.
    Yea, and Murphy has two and a half years to fill out and grow out until he has to play college ball.

Durham Riverside's TJ Warren, a 2012 Wing Forward, will attend Countdown to Crazieness:

http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2010/08/...ll-attend-ctc/

ESPN reports that Shabazz Muhammad will attend UNC's Midnight Madness event.

Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    ESPN reports that Shabazz Muhammad will attend UNC's Midnight Madness event.
    Is it worth speculating on what this means in terms of our recruitment of Shabazz? It would have been cool to have him at Cameron to view the festivities coming off a National Championship. Obviously, he's high on UNC as well as Duke; and he was at the Duke for the UNC game last season. But I wonder if his choice to go to Carolina's Midnight Madness as opposed CTC an indication of him leaning towards UNC?

Looking at it from a glass half-full perspective, it would still give him an opportunity to visit Duke either before or after UNC's Midnight madness event if he wanted to since he would be in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    Is it worth speculating on what this means in terms of our recruitment of Shabazz? It would have been cool to have him at Cameron to view the festivities coming off a National Championship. Obviously, he's high on UNC as well as Duke; and he was at the Duke for the UNC game last season. But I wonder if his choice to go to Carolina's Midnight Madness as opposed CTC an indication of him leaning towards UNC?

Looking at it from a glass half-full perspective, it would still give him an opportunity to visit Duke either before or after UNC's Midnight madness event if he wanted to since he would be in the area.
    I appreciate the glass half full approach, but that being said this cannot be good. It may not end bad as some may think, but this is not good!

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post

I'm not so sure it's an either-or type of thing...

This really isn't big news at all...it's just a visit.

Harrison Barnes attended late night in the Phog his junior year and that didn't work out to well for the Jayhawks. You never know with these visits until they see all of the schools.

Alex Murphy talks recruiting, unsure if he'll come to Countdown to Crazieness. He has options for the night, with Roy calling 2 nights ago to invite him down:

http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2010/08/...orida-and-unc/

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Alex Murphy talks recruiting, unsure if he'll come to Countdown to Crazieness. He has options for the night, with Roy calling 2 nights ago to invite him down:

http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2010/08/...orida-and-unc/
    Great interview. He sounds like a great kid who would represent Duke very well.

Andre Drummond

I saw the new Maxpreps top 100 recruits for 2012. #1 is Andre Drummond and he lists Duke as one of his choices. I skimmed through the thread looking for info on him, but didn't see anything recent. Are we not recruiting him? There are also some articles that say he may actually move up to class of 2011. Any info would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKESJ73 View Post
    I saw the new Maxpreps top 100 recruits for 2012. #1 is Andre Drummond and he lists Duke as one of his choices. I skimmed through the thread looking for info on him, but didn't see anything recent. Are we not recruiting him? There are also some articles that say he may actually move up to class of 2011. Any info would be appreciated.
    He is widely considered to be a UConn lock.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterRoddy View Post
    I'm not so sure it's an either-or type of thing...

This really isn't big news at all...it's just a visit.
    Just a visit? I seem to remember a year ago when a visit was the beginning of the end of our recruiting battle with one such recruit.

While I agree that a visit may not likely mean anything, the one thing I have learned is that kids think differently from one another and what is important to one may not be important to another. Also, never, ever take any observations / insider opinions to heart. Kids think as kids should: irrationally. I love following the recruiting process, but I will only be excited about a kid when he verbally commits (and even then things may go wrong)
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Just a visit? I seem to remember a year ago when a visit was the beginning of the end of our recruiting battle with one such recruit.
    This is the thing, I don't really like bringing up certain recruiting battles because there is always a recruiting battle that ended just the opposite. I seem to remember almost a year ago, Kyrie visited BBM and then commited to us directly after. It is just a visit, nothing really to be worried about at this point, we will find out more about Shabazz as time goes on.