Page 19 of 179 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiagledknarf View Post
    Yeah I can really see it is really costing that program. They have made it to 3 final fours in the last 6 seasons, winning 2 national champions in the past 5 seasons. Just because UNC had a down year this year doesn't mean he is costing his program. UNC lost 4 of there starter from the previous season and there main 6th man and had major injuries with Ed Davis and Tyler Zeller.

Let's take a look at his classes since 2004:

2004 (won the national championship): Marvin Williams- 2nd overall pick in the 2004 NBA Draft.
    Quentin Thomas

2005: (Lost in the sweet sixteen)
    Tyler Hansbrough
    Danny Green
    Bobby Frasor
    Marcus Ginyard
    Michael Copeland

2006(lost in elite 8 to Georgetown):

Ty Lawson
    Wayne Ellington
    Brandan Wright
    Deon Thompson
    Alex Stephenson
    Will Graves

2007: (lost in final four to Kansas)

No one commited

2008 ( won national championship):

Ed Davis
    Tyler Zeller
    Larry Drew
    Justin Watts

2009: ( Lost in NIT Final)

Jon Henson
    Wear Twins
    Dexter Strickland
    Leslie Mcdonald

The jury is still out on the 2009 class and 2007 where he did not have anyone commit, but everything else here looks pretty good to a coach building an elite program and that has had very good success.

So I wouldn't say he is costing his program.

Remember, they have a year like this in 2002 and bounced back to win the national title two years later.
    They won it all in 2005 and 2009, not '04 and '08. Just FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by CoBlueDevil View Post
    They won it all in 2005 and 2009, not '04 and '08. Just FYI.
    I think Osiagledknarf was referring to the results the team had the year following that incoming freshman class. The incoming class of 2004 included Marvin Williams and during the 2004-2005 season, UNC won a title.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiagledknarf View Post
    No, why would Roy do so? Despite his recent struggles, I don't think Roy is just going to give up on this kid who has recruited and followed for the past year... Nor do I think Coach K will with the talent this kid has. Like we have said before, rankings mean very little at this point for the 2012 class because rankings can be awfully misleading.

For example; Kyrie Irving was ranked in the mid 40's his sophmore season and now he is the 2nd overall rating recruit in the 2010 class, Harrison Barnes was in the low 20's in his sophmore season and is the #1 rated recruit in the country in the 2010 class, and the list goes on and on and on of these examples. So don't put do much into the rankings thus far in the recruting process for the 2010 guys.

Also, where did you see where Michael Gbinje wanted to join UNC? UNC had him as one of there top targets at one time as you see in this article, invited him to there alumni game and watched him very carefully throughout his soph and junior seasons. So UNC was making a hard run at him... He could have gone there but he went to Duke instead. Where have you heard that he wanted to go to UNC? Because he could have if he wanted to but didn't.

http://northcarolina.scout.com/a.z?s...%2f842241.html

http://northcarolina.scout.com/a.z?s...%2f895542.html
    Roy backed off of MG and instead chose PJ Hairston. That worked out well so far...

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    Chillfan, you are striking out on new threads, aren't you?
    my man, I SUCK at this haha...every time I try to start a thread i get beat down...but ill fight on haha

Quote Originally Posted by chillfan23 View Post
    my man, I SUCK at this haha...every time I try to start a thread i get beat down...but ill fight on haha
    It's not about starting threads. It's not about fighting on. It's about participating in the ongoing conversations.

-jk

It was not even a year ago when everyone was saying the same about Coach K. Personally, while they obviously had a terrible year, I'm reserving judgement on the state of the program because these things can swing wildly if you focus too much on the short term.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockabeau View Post
    Roy backed off of MG and instead chose PJ Hairston. That worked out well so far...
    Most people view Gbinje as more of a SF then a SG that Hairston is. Hairston is a great wing player that is an overall more explosive player then Gbinje is. Well Hairston is a slightly better scorer then Gbinje, Gbinje offers more of everything' rebounding ability, an elite defender, his ability to be able to drive and finish at the rim, is a good ball handler, passer and can hit the outside shot. Thus why Gbinje is rated higher on most recruiting sites.

After P.J Hairston commited to UNC, Gbinje was still invited to there Alumni game and was still being actively watched by the UNc staff throughout his junior season. Gbinje decided to go Duke... UNC never lost intrest in him at any point during his recruitment.

Quote Originally Posted by papa whiskey View Post
    Like... Marvin Williams, HB, Brandon Wright ect. I'm not sure I follow.
    certainly the word "everything" was a bit over the top, but let's look at recent recruits: LD II, doing an alright job but does not fit what Roy's system needs = Aw, shucks. The Wears, one pretty much nothing season and they left = Aw, shucks. Ed Davis, showed real talent as a Fr. and played below expectations before injury took away half of his So. year and then bolts for the NBA = thanks for the Championship! and then Aw, shucks. Strickland, was supposed to be a quality G and struggled mightily as a Fr., but still has time to become a good player = Aw, shucks in the making. McDonald, was supposed to be a quality G and struggled mightily as a Fr., but still has time to become a good player = Aw, shucks in the making. Zeller, has played well enough when healthy, but is not healthy often enough to be a steady factor = Aw, shucks (not due to lack of talent though). Now we are seeing reports that KM may not be good enough to unseat even the mediocre PG known as LD II from his starting spot, possibly an Aw, shucks in the making.
    Henson upped his play in the 2nd part of his Fr. season and could end up being as good as advertised. HB is by all accounts an outstanding player, so I'll reserve judgement on him. Bullock is a total unknown to me so I'll reserve judgement there too.
    Ol' Roy had a brilliant stretch of recruiting from 2004 until 2008 and his teams were constantly excellent. His Midas Touch from that time appears to have faded, sorry if my attempt to poke fun at him a little bit didn't rub the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    I think Osiagledknarf was referring to the results the team had the year following that incoming freshman class. The incoming class of 2004 included Marvin Williams and during the 2004-2005 season, UNC won a title.
    Yes... I was reffering to the 2004-2005 and 2008-2009 seasons and what year what recruits came in.

How does a commitment from Marshall Plumlee affect us recruiting a big man in the 2012 class? I'm speaking more specifically about Kaleb Tarczewski and perhaps Isaiah Austin. Tarczewski sounds like a promising legitimate big man.

Quote Originally Posted by OnToTheNextOne View Post
    How does a commitment from Marshall Plumlee affect us recruiting a big man in the 2012 class? I'm speaking more specifically about Kaleb Tarczewski and perhaps Isaiah Austin. Tarczewski sounds like a promising legitimate big man.
    IMO, it makes any center we get in 2012 a luxury recruit. With that being said, I would love for us to bring in Kaleb. The kid seems like Cole Aldrich 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by OnToTheNextOne View Post
    They are not mutually exclusive. Duke would still like to bring in Tarczewski. The feeling is that Mason will be gone by the latest after his Junior season.

Question

I love how the spin on what coaches do supports the historical outcome. He backed off this recruit for that recruit. Others swear the recruit could have gone anywhere he wanted to go. I guess you would have to ask the recruit to find out the real truth.

HardwoodElite tweets:

Roy Williams and Coach K both checking out J.P. Tokoto. Bo Ryan watching Sam Mader.

...I guess K still thinks there is a shot. Everyone has been dumping on Tokoto lately but I think he would be a good consolation if we dont get Baz... Obviously he wont be a one-and-done so 2-3 years (maybe 4) and I bet he ends up being an all-acc caliber player.

Shabazz Muhammad, Alex Murphy and Kaleb Tarczewski Highlights: http://dukehoop.blogspot.com/2010/07...phy-kaleb.html

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75...=1&nid=4020486

Found this interesting that they downgraded shabazz's intrest in Duke to "Low", I know most members of the board (myself included) don't take Scout/Rivals info as the gospel truth but why would they do something so drastic? They must have spoken to him recently about recruiting to do that, right? I dont know if I buy it or not seeing how he is (as far as i know) still flying out, on his own dime, to watch Duke vs MSU at CIS this fall... I'm scratching my head at this one...

Neither Dave Telep or Evan Daniels know anything about that change. It seems that was a mistake, and there has been no indication from Shabazz's camp that his interest level has dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Neither Dave Telep or Evan Daniels know anything about that change. It seems that was a mistake, and there has been no indication from Shabazz's camp that his interest level has dropped.
    airowe, thanks for the clarification... did you talk to Telep or Daniels through twitter or something?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlueNV View Post
    airowe, thanks for the clarification... did you talk to Telep or Daniels through twitter or something?
    They have made it known through various means that they were not responsible. They do very little of the minor tweaking on the site.

J.P. Tokoto performed very well in Las Vegas when we were watching. If anyone is interested, here are some highlights: http://www.hardwoodelite.com/video-s...id=bwcjvv07t3Y