Page 160 of 179 FirstFirst ... 60110150158159160161162170 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,200 of 3573
    I believe Amile's father previously indicated that the end of January might be when Amile's decision comes -- it didn't sound like a firm personal deadline at all but rather a rough guesstimate. Things certainly have been fairly quiet on the AJ front (at least for outsiders like myself) so who knows... perhaps the calm before the storm/announcement. Anyone hear anything recently?

I know it's been hinted at in here, but it seems like we're not in on Gathers anymore. Mentions NC St., Florida, Baylor, LSU, St. Johns, Cal, and Kentucky

http://fivestarbasketball.com/commit...icardo-gathers

Amile

Adam Zagoria provides an update on Amile Jefferson (see link for details)
    Last edited by pfrduke; 01-30-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: copyright

From Watzone

An interesting tweet from Watzone earlier in the day:

Mark Watson @BlueDevilNation
    Amile Jefferson knows where he wants to go to school and we've dropped the hint. Check out our premium members message boards for more.

Sounds like we may get an announcement soon after his season ends if he already knows his choice.

Noel to 2012

Nerlens Noel reclassifies to Class of 2012. http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/id...ack-class-2012

He's looking at Providence, UConn, Syracuse, Kentucky, Florida, Georgetown, North Carolina.

Too bad we won't have any playing time available in our front court next season.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast

Jordan Brand game

Rasheed, Shabazz, Tony Parker all picked to the Jordan Brand rosters. UNC and Arizona both had 3 apiece.

http://espn.go.com/high-school/boys-...lassic-rosters

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Rasheed, Shabazz, Tony Parker all picked to the Jordan Brand rosters. UNC and Arizona both had 3 apiece.

http://espn.go.com/high-school/boys-...lassic-rosters
    Congrats to all those guys. But J.P. Tokoto over Marcus Smart and Robert Carter? Makes no sense to me...But players get the major UNC bump (as do Duke players). Looks like McGary didn't make it either. Unless the Jordan Brand game adopted the same rule as McD AA that you can't be a 5th year senior, but Silent G made it last year as a fifth year senior.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Congrats to all those guys. But J.P. Tokoto over Marcus Smart and Robert Carter? Makes no sense to me...But players get the major UNC bump (as do Duke players). Looks like McGary didn't make it either. Unless the Jordan Brand game adopted the same rule as McD AA that you can't be a 5th year senior, but Silent G made it last year as a fifth year senior.
    Looks like the JB game went with athleticism over overall game. Amile Jefferson is ranked higher than Brice Johnson by every major recruiting service, for example, but no dice for him either.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Looks like the JB game went with athleticism over overall game.
    Or maybe they went with Charlotte gate receipt over either...

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Adam Zagoria provides an update on Amile Jefferson (see link for details)
    Sounds like we are in a great position. Amile looks extremely long and athletic. The exact kind of guy we're missing. If we could get him we could have a four man class that looks like it could win a ton of games. Sheed, Murph, Amile, Plumlee. All those guys are athletic skilled and great overall basketball players. Amile is definitely a defensive difference maker with his length. He would be a great compliment to Murphy.

Gathers Off the Board

Rico Gathers is goin' to Baylor. Link from Zags

Coach K Would Use Amile Jefferson In Mold Of Battier, Deng.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAssassin View Post
    Interesting but I doubt this gets much look tonight..

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    Sounds like we are in a great position. Amile looks extremely long and athletic. The exact kind of guy we're missing. If we could get him we could have a four man class that looks like it could win a ton of games. Sheed, Murph, Amile, Plumlee. All those guys are athletic skilled and great overall basketball players. Amile is definitely a defensive difference maker with his length. He would be a great compliment to Murphy.
    Actually what Duke is missing is a rebounding, low post Center. Duke makes the final four whenever they have a center who can rebound (Zoubek, Williams Boozer, Brand...). We are not a great rebounding team and I think it will hurt during the tournament.

agree, but...

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion View Post
    Actually what Duke is missing is a rebounding, low post Center. Duke makes the final four whenever they have a center who can rebound (Zoubek, Williams Boozer, Brand...). We are not a great rebounding team and I think it will hurt during the tournament.
    We also go to final fours with versatile SF. Hill, Battier, Dunleavy, Deng, and Singler. It's not that I disagree, but there are multiple factors!

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion View Post
    This year's team is essentially the same at defensive rebounding as the 2010 team (if you look at percentage of available defensive rebounds). The 2010 team was much better at offensive rebounding than this team is, but our offensive efficiency is pretty close to 2010 as well.

The only thing that keeps this year's Duke team from being elite is our below average (for Duke) defensive efficiency. This is mostly due to two-point shooting defense, i.e., we give up too many layups/dunks. Rebounding is not our problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    This year's team is essentially the same at defensive rebounding as the 2010 team (if you look at percentage of available defensive rebounds). The 2010 team was much better at offensive rebounding than this team is, but our offensive efficiency is pretty close to 2010 as well.

The only thing that keeps this year's Duke team from being elite is our below average (for Duke) defensive efficiency. This is mostly due to two-point shooting defense, i.e., we give up too many layups/dunks. Rebounding is not our problem.
    I have to disagree about the rebounding. Subpar defensive rebounding (2nd to last in conference play) is a big part of Duke's defensive problems. Can't get stops if you can't get rebounds. It effects 2pt defense too (and I say this while acknowledging that Duke indeed is not up to its normal standards in fg% defense- even from 3pt range.) For one, it leads to a lot of put-backs from close range. UNC didn't dominate us off the dribble or by feeding the post all night (ok, Marshall hurt us off the bounce some.) But Zeller in particular sure did get a lot of close looks at the basket by way of offensive rebounds. That will tend to help a team's shooting percentage.

So how does last nights game affect recruits? I know it was just one game but kids had to be watching this game and dreaming of being apart of this rivalry and taking that shot for themselves. Shabazz is ranked in the same area as Austin and seemingly loves being "the guy". I bet he was watching last night thinking "Hey this could be me".

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    So how does last nights game affect recruits? I know it was just one game but kids had to be watching this game and dreaming of being apart of this rivalry and taking that shot for themselves. Shabazz is ranked in the same area as Austin and seemingly loves being "the guy". I bet he was watching last night thinking "Hey this could be me".
    It won't change anything for anyone we are currently recruiting. Perhaps it's the type of game that some 12 year-old player in Fill-in-the-Blank-ville, USA, watches and points back to someday saying, "that's the day I knew I wanted to go to Duke." But, as far as current guys, it's just another example of the type of exposure you get playing in the sport's best rivalry. They already know about that.

And, keep in mind, we're not just recruiting Shabazz. Big guys may just as easily be watching saying, "That could be me setting that screen for someone else who takes the game winner. Geesh, Duke took 35 3s, even when they have a pretty good frontcourt." But frankly, I don't think it helps or hurts either way.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

I heard somewhere that Amile J was supposed to be in the crowd for this game. Can anyone confirm that? If he was, there is no way it doesn't help our chances with him.