Page 151 of 179 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,020 of 3573
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    'I'M A REAL WANKER FOR SAYING THIS' Ha ha. Wow, a DBR poster showing a little bit of personality. How risqué.
    that gets auto inserted by DBR when you use a naughty word...

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    that gets auto inserted by DBR when you use a naughty word...
    Speaking of DBR notes, we've just hit page 151 and 3,000+ replies on this thread.
    That puts it somewhere among the longest threads ever around here. Anyone have the rankings on this sort of thing?

3000 replies and only 1 signee so far....obviously, the posters are doing their best...Come on, Coach K.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Speaking of DBR notes, we've just hit page 151 and 3,000+ replies on this thread.
    That puts it somewhere among the longest threads ever around here. Anyone have the rankings on this sort of thing?

3000 replies and only 1 signee so far....obviously, the posters are doing their best...Come on, Coach K.
    You can sort by number of replies by clicking replies at the top.

1.) Austin Rivers - where there is smoke, there is fire
    2.) 2012 recruiting thread (five pages behind Austin thread)
    3.) John Wall Recruitment
    4.) Harrison Barnes recruiting thread
    5.) The Kyrie Irving Toe Rehab Vigil
    6.) The Kyrie Irving Toe Vigil
    7.) Conference alignments
    8.) Quincy Miller to Baylor
    9.) Kentucky thread (recruiting/scholarship crunch/Cal and ethics)
    10.) MBB: Duke 61, Butler 59 - 2010 NCAA Champs!!!

At least one actual current Duke player/basketball game thread made the top 10 (as #10)!

And, to be fair to Coach K, he did have two signees in the class of 2012, just one re-classified on him. (I realize that you were just joking, though.)

Edit: This list is for the EK board only. "The longest thread ever" on the off-topic board is actually the longest ever as the name implies. "Ymm, beer" would also be in the top 5.

Hmmm, I'm a 'typical (generic) college fan' by saying that Duke has all the elements in place to be a top basketball program now and into the future? You haven't given me one reason to show why that opinion is not valid. And it was just silly to use the 10-17 record from 30 years ago as a way of trying to invalidate my comment about Duke having had amazing success for the past 30 years. Come on now. UNC has had several mediocre seasons during the past couple of decades. Does that in any way invalidate their overall greatness as a program? Furthermore, I don't think it's wise to use what programs did or didn't do many decades ago as a barometer of what to expect in the future.
    The bottom line is Duke devotes vastly more resources to maintaining a great basketball program than they used to do before Coach K arrived. I don't see us ever turning back the clock in that regard. As long as we get a good coach after K retires we will continue to be a top 5 national program. The Iron Dukes is very dependent upon the success of Duke basketball in order to keep financial contributions at a high level. We don't have a strong football program to fall back on like so many other schools do. We MUST maintain the success of basketball. Our entire athletic program is dependent upon it. There is no way we are going to let our basketball program slide. No chance.
    I believe you underestimate the difficulty in maintaining a top 5 program. Coach K is the greatest coach in college in part because of all he has done as "CEO" of the basketball program to ensure continued success, but this is by no means guaranteed. UCLA should have gotten every recruit they wanted when Wooden was there and afterwards, since they won all those titles and were located in LA, shouldn't they have? Also, ask Indiana, Temple, St. John's, Notre Dame, Utah, Illinois if it is easy to maintain a program at the top. Heck, UK missed the tournament in 2009. I hope and expect the Duke basketball program to be successful for hopefully many years while coach K is still coaching and many years afterwards under the unlucky (in following a legend) person who follows, but it will take a lot of good decisions, good fortune, skilled and educated players seeing the value of Duke's program and university for Duke to maintain its top 5 program status.

I also agree with bdbd that all but 3 to 7 college programs would be ecstatic to have a recruiting class with both Sulaimon and Murphy signed for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    You can sort by number of replies by clicking replies at the top.

1.) Austin Rivers - where there is smoke, there is fire
    2.) 2012 recruiting thread (five pages behind Austin thread)
    3.) John Wall Recruitment
    4.) Harrison Barnes recruiting thread
    5.) The Kyrie Irving Toe Rehab Vigil
    6.) The Kyrie Irving Toe Vigil
    7.) Conference alignments
    8.) Quincy Miller to Baylor
    9.) Kentucky thread (recruiting/scholarship crunch/Cal and ethics)
    10.) MBB: Duke 61, Butler 59 - 2010 NCAA Champs!!!

At least one actual current Duke player/basketball game thread made the top 10 (as #10)!

And, to be fair to Coach K, he did have two signees in the class of 2012, just one re-classified on him. (I realize that you were just joking, though.)

Edit: This list is for the EK board only. "The longest thread ever" on the off-topic board is actually the longest ever as the name implies. "Ymm, beer" would also be in the top 5.
    I thought the Barnes thread got deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I also agree with bdbd that all but 3 to 7 college programs would be ecstatic to have a recruiting class with both Sulaimon and Murphy signed for next year.
    Duke's incoming [2012] class will almost certainly be "ranked" far lower than its actual quality, because of the still-likely redshirts for Alex and Marshall. I'm guessing neither will be counted in the 2012 class, but in fact Duke will have 3 [possibly more] very talented new players on next year's team.

Even though all 3 of Rasheed, Alex, and Marshall may be expected to stay at least 3 years - and therefore would not be considered mega-one-done talents - they're all very likely to be in the rotation next year. [Should Mason and Austin both stick around, all bets are off, in more ways than one.] And even though Rasheed seems to be the highest ranked of the 3 [but Alex would have been pretty close], the fact that Alex and Marshall have this year to learn the ropes, practice, learn sets and systems, acclimate to academic expectations - that's a big, big plus for their R-Fr. year.

While this video is not a week old, an eternity in the recruiting world, most still holds true. He is a chat I had with my pal, ESPN's Jason Jodan about Duke Basketball Reruiting - http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/01/e...ting-with-bdn/ As for the recent offer to Jefferson, he's a good one and i hope it comes to fruition.

Barnes Deleted?

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I thought the Barnes thread got deleted.
    Yeah -- yuk, yuk -- after 3,000 posts in about 30 minutes. -- sage

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Duke's incoming [2012] class will almost certainly be "ranked" far lower than its actual quality, because of the still-likely redshirts for Alex and Marshall. I'm guessing neither will be counted in the 2012 class, but in fact Duke will have 3 [possibly more] very talented new players on next year's team.

Even though all 3 of Rasheed, Alex, and Marshall may be expected to stay at least 3 years - and therefore would not be considered mega-one-done talents - they're all very likely to be in the rotation next year. [Should Mason and Austin both stick around, all bets are off, in more ways than one.] And even though Rasheed seems to be the highest ranked of the 3 [but Alex would have been pretty close], the fact that Alex and Marshall have this year to learn the ropes, practice, learn sets and systems, acclimate to academic expectations - that's a big, big plus for their R-Fr. year.
    If you're putting Marshall and Alex in the 2012 class, then the 2011 class is greatly weakened by only having Michael, Austin, and Quinn. We would go from, I think, the #2 ranked class in 2011 to maybe not even making the top 10. I'm just sayin'.

If you're putting Marshall and Alex in the 2012 class, then the 2011 class is greatly weakened by only having Michael, Austin, and Quinn. We would go from, I think, the #2 ranked class in 2011 to maybe not even making the top 10. I'm just sayin'.
    We already gave the 2009, 2010 and 2011 recruiting championship trophies to UK and Calipari, for whatever that is worth. Duke's 2011 recruiting class of Austin, Quinn and Michael would still be top 5, not that it really matters. I'm just sayin'.

We already gave the 2009, 2010 and 2011 recruiting championship trophies to UK and Calipari, for whatever that is worth. Duke's 2011 recruiting class of Austin, Quinn and Michael would still be top 5, not that it really matters. I'm just sayin'.
    Nice finish.

I was hoping you wouldn't mention the name of the UK coach. Not a big fan of him.

I didn't intend to shift anyone into any class, but your point is valid. I'd have to guess that with 3 McD AA's [no matter whether one thinks Marshall was marginal there], Duke would still have a top-10 2011 class, but I could be wrong.

The way I choose to think about it is this. If there were/are no redshirts among the 2011 class, it was/is highly unlikely that all 5 would actually be in the rotation, so K didn't "need" and couldn't quite "use" 5 new fellows, given 7 returnees, most of whom were clearly likely to be ahead of their incoming frosh position-competitors. In terms strictly of "which frosh are likely to be in the rotation," before the season began it was: (1) Austin [multi-talent], (2) Alex [China-trip play], (3) Quinn [best pure PG, but injured], (4) Michael [great future, hope he'll give us spot-minutes D], (5) Marshall [back of the line among the bigs].

The situation with Alex seems to have turned, dramatically and quite unexpectedly, on his concussion, which slowed him down at the very beginning and clearly led to a drastic re-think among K, staff, Alex, and his family. [Alex was actually featured on K's most recent TV show, last Sat morn, discussing the redshirt. Impressive kid, articulate, happy, solid, aware of, and both flattered and humbled by, the Dunleavy comparisons.]

As things have turned out, it's probably impossible accurately to rank either Duke's 2011 or [maybe, depending, who knows...] 2012 class. But in practical terms, Duke has 2 new 2011 guys contributing a lot, and a third who probably will play some important, even if limited, minutes this season. And Duke will have 3, maybe more, new guys next year who will be in the rotation, of whom 2 won't actually be new, in the usual sense of the term.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    We already gave the 2009, 2010 and 2011 recruiting championship trophies to UK and Calipari
    Calipari thinks this honor from the DBR fanbase makes today the greatest day in the history of the state of Kentucky.

Does landing Tony Parker in 2012 necessarily mean we won't get Jabari Parker and/or Julius Randle in 2013? I've heard several people suggest that we should pass on Tony Parker in order to "hold out for next year," but they seem like very different players. J. Parker and J. Randle actually seem more similar to each other than to T. Parker, but then again I'm pretty minimally informed here.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Does landing Tony Parker in 2012 necessarily mean we won't get Jabari Parker and/or Julius Randle in 2013? I've heard several people suggest that we should pass on Tony Parker in order to "hold out for next year," but they seem like very different players. J. Parker and J. Randle actually seem more similar to each other than to T. Parker, but then again I'm pretty minimally informed here.
    From what I have seen, no, getting Tony Parker does not necessarily mean that we won't get J. Parker or Randle. Each brings something different to the table and could easily play on the court at the same time as the 3-4-5. In fact, this likely would be the best front court in the country. (Of course, Randle, Jabari Parker and my grandmother would probably be the best front court in the country too.) Here is a nice little article on the top 3 from 2013.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap..._Class_Of_2013

I also have heard the "hold out for next year" argument, but I don't understand it. Randle has the size to guard power forwards, but other than that, I don't think we are actively recruiting anyone like Tony Parker.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Hmmm, I'm a 'typical (generic) college fan' by saying that Duke has all the elements in place to be a top basketball program now and into the future? You haven't given me one reason to show why that opinion is not valid. And it was just silly to use the 10-17 record from 30 years ago as a way of trying to invalidate my comment about Duke having had amazing success for the past 30 years. Come on now. UNC has had several mediocre seasons during the past couple of decades. Does that in any way invalidate their overall greatness as a program? Furthermore, I don't think it's wise to use what programs did or didn't do many decades ago as a barometer of what to expect in the future.

The bottom line is Duke devotes vastly more resources to maintaining a great basketball program than they used to do before Coach K arrived. I don't see us ever turning back the clock in that regard. As long as we get a good coach after K retires we will continue to be a top 5 national program. The Iron Dukes is very dependent upon the success of Duke basketball in order to keep financial contributions at a high level. We don't have a strong football program to fall back on like so many other schools do. We MUST maintain the success of basketball. Our entire athletic program is dependent upon it. There is no way we are going to let our basketball program slide. No chance.
    Sorry if you apparently took offense at a differing opinion. No personal attack intended at all.

But to answer your question, you were being a "typical" college BB fan - not that I said there was anything inherently wrong with that - in stating that "... I don't think you should be 'amazed' that we are able to miss on just one of our top four targets in a HS class. To be honest, I'm amazed that more top players don't choose Duke. I really am."

And I never said anything like Duke doesn't have all the elements in place to be a top basketball program now and into the future. I believe that I simply illuminated how MANY schools and fans like to make that same claim. But I said (more than once) that it is not as much a guaranteed sure-thing as you seem to imply. There are other schools with just as much or more BB "tradition", and I suspect (don't have the details) that there are a number of schools which actually pour even more resources into BB than Duke does - maybe they are simply bigger/state schools with more alumni, fans and resources. Whatever.

And it is NOT guaranteed that we get a equally great (or even moderately great) coaching replacement for K. Before their legendary coaches departed fans at other traditional power schools assumed similar things - see UCLA/Wooden, Indiana/Knight, Kentucky/Hall, etc. But I do worry about that transition quite a bit. Let's hope it is still many years away!

But in this age of parity to suggest that Duke should EXPECT to get all four of its top-25 targets is, well, overly optimistic even for us rabid Duke fans. And it puts unwarranted expectations/pressure on the Duke staff. You can still be one of the top-4 BB programs in the game, which I would strongly argue that we are, and not expect to get 4-out-of-every-4 McD AA recruits that you go after. And that's still pretty damn good.

Again, apologies if you took my plea for general fan appreciation of how special we have it as any sort of personal attack. Certainly was not my intent.

P.S. The 10-17 reference was "not an attempt to invalidate (your) whole argument," but rather a humorous footnote since you raised the "30 years of success" at Duke, to reinforce my points that the current astronomical success is not perpetually guaranteed. I actually happened to be a student at Duke at that time and, as with many on these boards, can well remember Duke as a poor afterthoughht in the ACC. Let's hope that you are right that the more recent tradition and investments reduce the chances of ever a return to that mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    First of all, I think much of the talk of holding out for next year concerns what should happen if we miss on T Parker (as opposed to advocating passing on him). In that case, I assume those people mean we should wait for the 2013 big men instead of looking for a lower-tier big man to replace TP.

To the extent that people say we should pass on T Parker in favor of 2013 bigs, I believe these people think it's a numbers game, because we have 12 committed scholarships for next year and Matt Jones committed for 2013-14. But if that is the concern, I think it may be illusory, because five of our 2012-13 scholarships won't be there in 2013-14 (Ryan, Seth, Andre, Mason, and Austin, with the latter two probably not there in 2012-13, either). So even if we bring in two or three more recruits this year, we'll still have two or three scholarships left for 2013-14.

Having said that, I have no idea who else the staff thinks they might bring in in 2013-14. Perhaps if we sign Shabazz, Jefferson and T Parker for 2012-13, Coach K would hesitate to fill both of his last two scholarships with big men?

Of course I'm just guessing about people's intent, but that's my take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    While this video is not a week old, an eternity in the recruiting world, most still holds true. He is a chat I had with my pal, ESPN's Jason Jodan about Duke Basketball Reruiting - http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/01/e...ting-with-bdn/ As for the recent offer to Jefferson, he's a good one and i hope it comes to fruition.
    Thank you for sharing this informative and entertaining interview. Great stuff. From what I have seen, Jefferson does indeed look like an outstanding player (who would seem to fit in nicely at Duke or any program frankly); however, your endorsement certainly improves my level of confidence level re: Amile.

I think the waiting game for recruits is a dangerous one to play -- even for elite talents like Randle. You know what they say about "A bird in hand..." Plus, the great players like Randle and J. Parker seem to be don't really need to worry so much about who is on a returning roster -- they will be in the rotation because they are just that good (see JJ, Singler, Kyrie, Austin, etc.). Plus, we will have plenty of scholarships for 2013 one way or another.

In terms of Tony Parker, I respect his decision to wait...He may want to see who stays and who goes pro before deciding. That's more than fair, it's his right. That said, Jefferson just may take his spot as we seem to have limited room (especially if a certain person or two assumed to be leaving after this year decides to stay). As always, it will be interesting how things work out.

If one accepts the premise that Mike Krzyzewski is the best college-basketball coach of his generation, then it is neither unrealistic nor excessively pessimistic to assume that his successor might not be the best college-basketball coach of his generation.

Hopefully, Duke won't have a Phil Bengston-level drop-off.

Google, it you kids.

Sounds like K and Chris Collins are in Philly watching Amile play tonight.
    Last edited by dukedoc; 01-10-2012 at 05:47 PM.