Page 129 of 179 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131139 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,580 of 3573
    Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    I kind of agree with Wheat on this one. I think it's great for the ACC if State becomes more competitive again but I'm not ready to support them in becoming a recruiting and basketball powerhouse a la Duke and UNC. The intensity in recruiting battles between Duke and UNC is bad enough; but could you imagine how intense tobacco raod would be if all three schools are in competition for the same recruits....

That said, picking up Warren is great for State's revival.
    The enemy of my enemy is my friend... ABC!!

#1 player in the class?!?!?!

So, I went over to Scout's rankings for the class of 2012 to see how NC State's recent haul of recruits rank... and I noticed something surprising.

Have a look at who Scout's #1 player in the class is...

Attachment 2113

Rasheed!!!

He is their #1 overall recruit and the #1 SG in the class. I did not know Scout had updated their rankings (perhaps they did a while ago and I missed this update) but what a wonderful recognition for a kid who's game appears to be improving all the time (always a good thing for a recruit).

-Jason "I'll merge this into the 2012 recruiting thread soon, but wanted Sheed to get a little extra attention first" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast

Um...

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    So, I went over to Scout's rankings for the class of 2012 to see how NC State's recent haul of recruits rank... and I noticed something surprising.

Have a look at who Scout's #1 player in the class is...

Attachment 2113

Rasheed!!!

He is their #1 overall recruit and the #1 SG in the class. I did not know Scout had updated their rankings (perhaps they did a while ago and I missed this update) but what a wonderful recognition for a kid who's game appears to be improving all the time (always a good thing for a recruit).

-Jason "I'll merge this into the 2012 recruiting thread soon, but wanted Sheed to get a little extra attention first" Evans
    ...Jason...you're reading the list incorrectly...don't worry, you're not the first person on this board to make that mistake. Need to click "Top."

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=9&...pid=88&yr=2012

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    ...Jason...you're reading the list incorrectly...don't worry, you're not the first person on this board to make that mistake. Need to click "Top."

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=9&...pid=88&yr=2012
    Ahh, now I see what I did. Well, color me a fool. Sheed still comes in at #10, which is higher than I have seen him and still shows impressive upward movement (a sign of a kid who has not maxed out his abilities yet, not by a long shot).

--Jason "now I'll move this back to the 2012 thread where my shame can be confined to where the recruiting junkies hang out " Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Ahh, now I see what I did. Well, color me a fool. Sheed still comes in at #10, which is higher than I have seen him and still shows impressive upward movement (a sign of a kid who has not maxed out his abilities yet, not by a long shot).

--Jason "now I'll move this back to the 2012 thread where my shame can be confined to where the recruiting junkies hang out " Evans
    I made a similar (if not identical) mistake a few weeks ago. The "All" category on Scout's website really makes no sense and lends itself to that confusion.

Why the apologies? You were just providing us the info a few months early

Mitch to decide at 5PM today

Mitch McGary to announce today at 5PM on ESPNU between Duke, Florida and Michigan.

Fingers crossed he pulls a Harrison Barnes on Michigan!!
    The Terrapin Assassin

Not to be a downer, but

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post
    Mitch McGary to announce today at 5PM on ESPNU between Duke, Florida and Michigan.

A sports talk host up here in the metro Detroit area mentioned yesterday that all signs point to MM choosing Michigan. He wouldn't elaborate; but did mention that he received texts from sources that he trust and are supposedly in the know; and they told him MM was going to Michigan and that it was pretty much a lock. Again, this guy and his sources could be wrong; but I'm not feeling good about MM to Duke. I would love to be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post

A sore point among Duke EK posters, this "pulling a Harrison Barnes" thing. So, I think I'll resist this analogy, unless persuaded that it's apt.

It's near-universally assumed by Duke EK posters that Barnes actually misled K and staff. McGary, by contrast, seems to have been pretty open that he's very gradually whittled his list to 3-4 teams, has been truly undecided, and has a tough decision to make. True, gurus and/or insiders say, just in the past several days, that he's a Michigan-lean, but that strikes me as different from the various Barnes-to-Duke stuff that happened, and over a rather longer stretch of time, last year.

However, my memory may be faulty-because-selective, so if a McGary-to-Duke would be pretty analogous to Barnes-to-UNC, someone please correct me. I will insist that not all recruiting surprises involve "pulling a Barnes." And someday soon I hope to mature enough to divest myself of any lingering resentment toward a young man who is in most ways a model player, and, I'm guessing, a very nice kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    A sports talk host up here in the metro Detroit area mentioned yesterday that all signs point to MM choosing Michigan. He wouldn't elaborate; but did mention that he received texts from sources that he trust and are supposedly in the know; and they told him MM was going to Michigan and that it was pretty much a lock. Again, this guy and his sources could be wrong; but I'm not feeling good about MM to Duke. I would love to be wrong though.
    Watzone, Airowe, et al days ago recommended moving our hearts and hopes elsewhere. Not to mention Zagoria, Daniels, and Telep. It would be a monumental surprise if he went elsewhere.

His blog the other day was very complimentary of Duke but I think unfortunately it was akin to lavishing kind words on someone to soften the blow of breaking up with them.

I'll be happy for Mitch wherever he goes. I admire his tenacity on the court. He genuinely seems like a nice kid. Michigan is a great school and he'll of course do well there and in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    A sore point among Duke EK posters, this "pulling a Harrison Barnes" thing. So, I think I'll resist this analogy, unless persuaded that it's apt.

It's near-universally assumed by Duke EK posters that Barnes actually misled K and staff. McGary, by contrast, seems to have been pretty open that he's very gradually whittled his list to 3-4 teams, has been truly undecided, and has a tough decision to make. True, gurus and/or insiders say, just in the past several days, that he's a Michigan-lean, but that strikes me as different from the various Barnes-to-Duke stuff that happened, and over a rather longer stretch of time, last year.

However, my memory may be faulty-because-selective, so if a McGary-to-Duke would be pretty analogous to Barnes-to-UNC, someone please correct me. I will insist that not all recruiting surprises involve "pulling a Barnes." And someday soon I hope to mature enough to divest myself of any lingering resentment toward a young man who is in most ways a model player, and, I'm guessing, a very nice kid.
    I would also add that there was a lot more talk for UNC as Barnes was nearing his decision than there has been talk for Duke in the McCary situation.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Watzone, Airowe, et al days ago recommended moving our hearts and hopes elsewhere. Not to mention Zagoria, Daniels, and Telep. It would be a monumental surprise if he went elsewhere.

His blog the other day was very complimentary of Duke but I think unfortunately it was akin to lavishing kind words on someone to soften the blow of breaking up with them.

I'll be happy for Mitch wherever he goes. I admire his tenacity on the court. He genuinely seems like a nice kid. Michigan is a great school and he'll of course do well there and in the NBA.
    A) At least he isn't going to Kerlina.
    B) He, along with his parents, obviously know all of the great points about Duke; K being the greatest ever, great teammates, Kyrie being drafted #1, etc. etc.. If he chooses UM there must be one factor above all others swaying his decision. Be it a relationship with a particular coach, girlfriend, or maybe he just likes the weather, who knows. But in his hoops diary the kid rattled off all of our selling points, eliminated our big man myth, and praised K as the greatest coach in the game. If he appreciates all of that and still doesn't commit then we never had a chance to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlestonDevil View Post
    If he appreciates all of that and still doesn't commit then we never had a chance to begin with.
    This may be very much the case. I imagine there are a lot of college players - well at least a few - who have their heart dead set on a specific college, but don't announce right away, and still visit other schools, because they feel that that's what they're supposed to do. They do (to use a legal term) due diligence on those other schools, but for most of these guys, it doesn't change anything.

If that's the case with MM, then good for him - he'll go to the school he really wanted to while still making sure nothing else could change his mind. The best possible world for a kid.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post

I know....But it was the first time in a while that someone from this area said that MM to Michigan was a done deal; and I guess I was trying to hold out hope that MM would have an eleventh hour change of heart...Oh well, on to focusing on Bazz and TP.

Let's just say I will not be on the edge of my chair at 5:00pm for this one...

Too much talk of Michigan leading up to today...

I would understand someone looking at it as being misleading to the staff...since everyone in the know has had him basically a Michigan lock for a few weeks now, but in his latest blog he still says he doesn't know where he's going. Maybe he really doesn't know, if he does pop for Michigan today his poker face needs work.

Quote Originally Posted by dcar1985 View Post
    I would understand someone looking at it as being misleading to the staff...since everyone in the know has had him basically a Michigan lock for a few weeks now, but in his latest blog he still says he doesn't know where he's going. Maybe he really doesn't know, if he does pop for Michigan today his poker face needs work.
    Well, but hopefully he has better channels of communication with the staff than his blog, which is primarily for fans, I assume. I haven't heard anything from the commenters on this board with inside links to the Duke staff that suggests they are misled about McGary's plans.

A couple of things strike me here--first, who wouldn't want to visit Duke if they were being recruited? It's got a great program, a great coaching staff, a classic gym, and a beautiful campus. As someone else noted, it's justifiable as due diligence even if the player is leaning another direction.

Second, I can't blame a kid for keeping his plans to himself even if he knows where he wants to go. The blog serves several purposes--polite to all the contenders, shows McGary is putting a lot of thought into his decision, keeps the maximum number of fans interested in McGary, which will be good for his long-term marketability (too bad to have to think about that, but, really, we are talking about a high school kid with a blog followed by many, many grownups--hard not to assume image building is a conscious part of the process). And if he wants to make an official announcement (probably especially exciting for a kid who is now a huge prospect but was barely on the radar a couple of years ago), he can't steal his own thunder by making his choice clear in advance.

Shabazz

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Shabazz Muhammad's dad was quoted a couple of days ago as mentioning the list of schools in the running for his son, and Duke was not mentioned. Not good. It could be down to Tony Parker and that's it. Can't believe it may have come to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Can't believe it may have come to this.
    Yeah, it would really suck if one year after a five-man, #2 in the nation recruiting class, we'd have to "settle" for only getting two top 20 recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Shabazz Muhammad's dad was quoted a couple of days ago as mentioning the list of schools in the running for his son, and Duke was not mentioned. Not good. It could be down to Tony Parker and that's it. Can't believe it may have come to this.
    I don't care to speculate on whether Muhammad has really removed us from consideration. But I've been under the impression that it was a very real possibility we'd get none of the Muhammad/McGary/Parker for a while now. None of these guys are thought to be "Duke leans" as far as I've seen. In fact, McGary has been reported a Michigan lean. We are/were in on Muhammad but not (as far as I know) the clear favorite to get him. And we're in on Parker, but not (as far as I know) the clear favorite to get him. So while it has long been a possibility that we'd get any one or two of the three, it's also been a very real possibility (and one that's been discussed a lot) that we'll get none of the three.

As for "I can't believe it may have come to this," we still have a top-10 recruit and Parker is considered at least a top-30 recruit. If we only get Sullaimon, that's still a very good get. If we get Sullaimon and Parker, that's a very solid recruiting class.