Page 120 of 179 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130170 ... LastLast
Results 2,381 to 2,400 of 3573
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post
    I feel Kentucky has already struck out with McGary. Both Warren and McGary cancelled their visits to Kentucky. You are forgetting about UNC and McGary. I think the new list looks like this:

Duke: Parker and McGary
    Ohio State: Parker
    UNC: McGary
    Certainly there are very few sure things in the unpredictable world of recruiting but KY striking out in any area recruiting would be nice. They have been on a ridiculous recruiting roll since Cal arrived but 2012 is starting to look a little like an uphill battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post
    I feel Kentucky has already struck out with McGary. Both Warren and McGary cancelled their visits to Kentucky. You are forgetting about UNC and McGary. I think the new list looks like this:

Duke: Parker and McGary
    Ohio State: Parker
    UNC: McGary
    Yeah, I was thinking of it though in terms of the schools having their eyes on 2 elite bigs, and how they're faring. If you want to put UNC in the mix, I guess it'd have to be McGary and Tarczewski (sp.?) though they're already out of it for him. So the list would look like:

Ohio State -- Parker and Coleman: 0 for 1 so far
    Kentucky -- McGary and Coleman: 0 for 1
    Duke -- McGary and Parker: 0 for 0
    UNC -- McGary and Tarczewski: 0 for 1

Brice Johnson to UNC

freudian slip?

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Brice Johnson to UNC
    According to the above report, ""I will be a UNC Tar Hell," Johnson tweeted."

So with this commitment and Joel James I assume unc is out of the McGary race?

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    That is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    I like this young man. I appreciate his refreshing candor and honesty to call it as he sees it.

Didn't know much about Johnson, but he sounds like a good late blooming prospect.

Telep on Johnson

Ranked No. 25 in the senior class, Johnson averaged 23.0 points, 15.0 rebounds and 5.0 blocks as a junior for Edisto. Last summer he went from a top-100 recruit to near the top of the power forward rankings as he was a triple-double threat on the AAU circuit.

In addition to his prowess on the basketball court, he's the reigning state champion in the high jump, long jump and triple jump. To Johnson, UNC represented a strong fit that he couldn't pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Brice Johnson to UNC
    So Carolina now has Johnson, Marcus Paige, Joel James and J.P. Tokoto for the 2012 class. Ummm, sorta underwhelming by Carolina standards. I am not sure any of those guys will be a Mickie Dee. I think Paige has the best shot at it, but the others are all ranked in the 40s-70s. It is a class that is devoid of any impact players or guys who figure to start from day one at UNC. I suppose that if Kendall Marshall leaves early we might see Paige start, but that is not a good thing from Carolina's perspective.

RSCI's post-summer rankings:

Marcus Paige - 29
    Brice Johnson - 38
    Joel James - 61
    JP Tokoto - 68

The last time UNC did not sign a single top 10 recruit (let alone a top 25 one) was for the class of 2007 when they brought in only Will Graves. Of course, it is worth noting that the Carolina roster was stocked coming into the 2007 season with sophs and juniors who would be taking all the minutes for the next 2 seasons, negating the need for much of a recruiting class (Lawson, Ellington, Hasbro, Green, Deon Thompson, Frasor, Ginyard). Next year's Carolina roster should be full of available minutes as Zeller, Henson, Barnes, and even Marshall and McAdoo are seniors or seen as likely NBA draft picks (assuming the NBA exists by next season).

It is not a bad class, not by any stretch, but it does not feel like the kind of class that will get their program where it needs to be next season assuming the guys we expect to leave do leave.

Of course, one could argue that Duke has only Rasheed in the fold right now, but he is significantly higher ranked than anyone Carolina has and we are still very much in the running for 3 other probable Mickie Dees. Our roster also seems better stocked with young players to carry next year's team than Carolina's does.

Maybe I am looking thought glasses that are too Duke blue. I am sure Carolina fans are perfectly pleased with their recruiting haul. Heck, if McAdoo and Marshall both stick around to go with the bevy of impressive wings (Hairston, Bullock, Strickland, McDonald) it is not like Carolina is gonna be a bad team next year -- not by a long shot. It is worth noting that Carolina is bringing in 2 big guys and a decent PG prospect, which would seem to be their biggest need next season. Perhaps my note here is poorly constructed...

...but I cannot get it out of my head that it is really unusual for UNC to strike out on top-tier recruits like this. It will be strange to watch the Mickie Dee game and not see a single dude committed to Carolina in the contest**.

-Jason "**- worth noting that someone could surge in the rankings and Paige is one of the top 3 or 4 PGs, so he might make the McD game despite a middling ranking" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    So Carolina now has Johnson, Marcus Paige, Joel James and J.P. Tokoto for the 2012 class. Ummm, sorta underwhelming by Carolina standards. I am not sure any of those guys will be a Mickie Dee. I think Paige has the best shot at it, but the others are all ranked in the 40s-70s. It is a class that is devoid of any impact players or guys who figure to start from day one at UNC. I suppose that if Kendall Marshall leaves early we might see Paige start, but that is not a good thing from Carolina's perspective.

RSCI's post-summer rankings:

Marcus Paige - 29
    Brice Johnson - 38
    Joel James - 61
    JP Tokoto - 68

The last time UNC did not sign a single top 10 recruit (let alone a top 25 one) was for the class of 2007 when they brought in only Will Graves. Of course, it is worth noting that the Carolina roster was stocked coming into the 2007 season with sophs and juniors who would be taking all the minutes for the next 2 seasons, negating the need for much of a recruiting class (Lawson, Ellington, Hasbro, Green, Deon Thompson, Frasor, Ginyard). Next year's Carolina roster should be full of available minutes as Zeller, Henson, Barnes, and even Marshall and McAdoo are seniors or seen as likely NBA draft picks (assuming the NBA exists by next season).

It is not a bad class, not by any stretch, but it does not feel like the kind of class that will get their program where it needs to be next season assuming the guys we expect to leave do leave.

Of course, one could argue that Duke has only Rasheed in the fold right now, but he is significantly higher ranked than anyone Carolina has and we are still very much in the running for 3 other probable Mickie Dees. Our roster also seems better stocked with young players to carry next year's team than Carolina's does.

Maybe I am looking thought glasses that are too Duke blue. I am sure Carolina fans are perfectly pleased with their recruiting haul. Heck, if McAdoo and Marshall both stick around to go with the bevy of impressive wings (Hairston, Bullock, Strickland, McDonald) it is not like Carolina is gonna be a bad team next year -- not by a long shot. It is worth noting that Carolina is bringing in 2 big guys and a decent PG prospect, which would seem to be their biggest need next season. Perhaps my note here is poorly constructed...

...but I cannot get it out of my head that it is really unusual for UNC to strike out on top-tier recruits like this. It will be strange to watch the Mickie Dee game and not see a single dude committed to Carolina in the contest**.

-Jason "**- worth noting that someone could surge in the rankings and Paige is one of the top 3 or 4 PGs, so he might make the McD game despite a middling ranking" Evans

I believe UNC is also in the hunt for TJ Warren, a 6'7" wing that currently plays with McGary. He is the 23rd ranked player according to ESPN. If UNC lands him, I believe UNC fans will be really pleased. While this class may not be loaded with top 10 recruits, this class is currently comprised of 4 players that are ranked inside the top 70. Another words, these guys may likely be around for multiple years. That leads to consistency, which is something Duke has benefited from in the past few years. Then, Roy can focus on elite talent, like Julius Randle and Nate Britt.

Seems like a commitment to Duke or Carolina tends to help a recruit's chances of being named to the Mickey Dee teams, so we'll see how that works out.

To your larger point, it is interesting that UNC has not connected with the top 10-15 type recruits in this class.
    Seems like they still have a good group and may in the end benefit from having more 4-year players.
    So long as Ole Roy is there, I'm afraid the Heels will not run out of talent.

[QUOTE=roywhite;524247]Seems like a commitment to Duke or Carolina tends to help a recruit's chances of being named to the Mickey Dee teams, so we'll see how that works out.

To your larger point, it is interesting that UNC has not connected with the top 10-15 type recruits in this class.
    Seems like they still have a good group and may in the end benefit from having more 4-year players.
    So long as Ole Roy is there, I'm afraid the Heels will not run out of talent.[/QUOTE]

I agree with all your points about ole roy. However I'm so glad that he can't coach like he recruits. GoDuke!

So Carolina now has Johnson, Marcus Paige, Joel James and J.P. Tokoto for the 2012 class.

I am not sure any of those guys will be a Mickie Dee.
    As long as they are going to UNC they will have a great shot at being All-Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathby3 View Post
    I believe UNC is also in the hunt for TJ Warren, a 6'7" wing that currently plays with McGary. He is the 23rd ranked player according to ESPN. If UNC lands him, I believe UNC fans will be really pleased. While this class may not be loaded with top 10 recruits, this class is currently comprised of 4 players that are ranked inside the top 70. Another words, these guys may likely be around for multiple years. That leads to consistency, which is something Duke has benefited from in the past few years. Then, Roy can focus on elite talent, like Julius Randle and Nate Britt.
    I can't imagine that the commitment of Isaiah Hicks, another 5 star power forward from 2013, will help with Randle.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

I believe UNC is also in the hunt for TJ Warren, a 6'7" wing that currently plays with McGary.
    Not anymore, apparently. Down to N.C. State and Georgetown.

Tj Warren has apparently eliminated UNC from his list. He's down to nc state and Georgetown I believe.

Hehehehe.

DaveTelep Dave Telep
    TJ Warren is down to NC State and Georgetown. He will decide next Wednesday.
    23 seconds ago

Signing day looms

Does anyone recall a time when we have had so many balls in the air with signing day so close? With 3 big recruits down to duke and a few others it seems like lots of uncertainty right now. I would love to see us land at least one of the big 3, 2 would be spectacular. of course, many of you guys with much more knowledge than i have may be more confident about where these guys will land.

Can someone explain the scholarship situation to me? With Miles graduating we have 1, but where are the others coming from? We have offered and Sheed is coming but we are talking about 3 other players for 2012. Can someone help me here?

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Hehehehe.

DaveTelep Dave Telep
    TJ Warren is down to NC State and Georgetown. He will decide next Wednesday.
    23 seconds ago
    From the info I'm getting it's looking like there was one UNC scholarship available and three offers out between TJ Warren, Rosco Allen and Brice Johnson for it on a first come, first served basis and Johnson has now pulled the trigger claiming it first.

Rosco Allen has cancelled his scheduled weekend visit and we see TJ Warren is suddenly no longer listing UNC, so that info may have been correct.

Before anyone starts claiming something else, nobody is saying UNC didn't want TJ or Rosco, just that there was only one spot available and now there are none for that position. Both players had the option the become Heels and didn't pull the trigger. It was their choice.

There is still a UNC offer out to McGary, I'm told by people I think know what they are talking about.