Page 14 of 179 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    That's the way I count it, too.

And you, IIRC, have a very special reason to hope for/expect a multi-peat, as you don't want to have to start a campaign to push K toward the door. DIRC?
    Sorry, I'm not following...

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Sorry, I'm not following...
    I had to do a search, for your response to my above ref to you had me wondering whether I imagined some weird stuff about 2-3 weeks back, especially because your boldness drew no blood from karma-worriers.

Still not following me? Maybe I follow your every word rather more carefully than do you. Anyhow, I'm not trying to be obscure. Review on Wears transfer thread your posts #711 [bold enough, I thought at the time, 5/19] and then esp your post #719 [from 5/20]. Post #719 seemed clear enough, and way bold, unless it was too clever for my brain; but I was surprised that almost no one responded to it, even when a few days later [House money thread] I tried to remind folks of how way out there you were.

As one who's liable to say almost anything anytime, I do not begrudge you the same privilege. Unless you correct me, I will now assume you were playing the provocateur back in May. I enjoyed it.
    Last edited by gumbomoop; 06-05-2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: word change, to save me from embarrassment

Andre Drummond talks recruiting

In an interview with Rivals.com's Jerry Meyer following that game, Drummond revealed an early top five of North Carolina, Duke, Georgetown, Louisville, and UConn that are recruiting him the hardest.

While in town for the TOC, Drummond was able to get a better feel for the Duke and North Carolina campuses and he had good things to say about both.

"I toured around Duke and North Carolina. I like the campuses and I'd love to come down for an unofficial visit to see how the academic portion looks like," he said. "The campuses are beautiful. Everything is clean and stuff like that, and the gyms are nice."
    This kid is going to be a monster, he'll be a future #1 pick, hopefully we can land him.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    As one who's liable to say almost anything anytime, I do not begrudge you the same privilege. Unless you correct me, I will now assume you were playing the provocateur back in May. I enjoyed it.
    Haha. I'm following now. Yeah, he better live up to my expectations or Kevin White needs to insert himself.

4-peat.
    Yeah I got confused, cuz we are fer sure gonna repeat and then 3peat. No question. The whole recruiting year and championship year (ie. the recruiting class of '10 could win the '11 championship) always gets me confused.
    Still, i contend that UNC will finish in the middle (anything below the top 2 is middle) of the ACC during all of those inevitable Duke championship years. Bold predictions? Youbetcha!!! YEHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Anyone with access needs to read the material currently list on Dukes page on rivals. Good stuff! Won't say anything about it except I enjoyed taking the time to catch up on some recruiting.

This article talks about Dai-Jon Parker (2-sport athlete 2011) and Evan Nolte from 2012.

I put it here because Nolte recently came through Durham...

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-high-sc...-scholarships/

Here's an older profile on Nolte. We share a common favorite college team...

http://www.leagueathletics.com/Page...starssouth.com

This article talks about Dai-Jon Parker (2-sport athlete 2011) and Evan Nolte from 2012.

I put it here because Nolte recently came through Durham...

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-high-sc...-scholarships/

Here's an older profile on Nolte. We share a common favorite college team...

http://www.leagueathletics.com/Page...starssouth.com
    In regards to Roy Williams/Evan Nolte conversation...
    "He stated that he likes to wait until the last possible time so that his staff and he can do a good evaluation of the player before making an offer. He pointed out that UNC was the last school to offer last year’s No. 1 prospect, Harrison Barnes".

Really Roy!? Cause Im pretty sure you have a history of offering kids pretty early, i.e. Wear Twins, P.J. Hairston, James McAdoo, etc... He's such a schmoozer, makes me vomit a lil in the back of my throat, ick!

Quote Originally Posted by CPDUKEGUY24 View Post
    In regards to Roy Williams/Evan Nolte conversation...
    "He stated that he likes to wait until the last possible time so that his staff and he can do a good evaluation of the player before making an offer. He pointed out that UNC was the last school to offer last year’s No. 1 prospect, Harrison Barnes".

Really Roy!? Cause Im pretty sure you have a history of offering kids pretty early, i.e. Wear Twins, P.J. Hairston, James McAdoo, etc... He's such a schmoozer, makes me vomit a lil in the back of my throat, ick!
    I think by evaluate, he means evaluate what schools are high on that player's list. If Duke is one, he swoops in and tries to schmooze them over to Chapel Hill. It worked for Barnes, but it aint working for Austin or anyone beyond hoefully.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    I think by evaluate, he means evaluate what schools are high on that player's list. If Duke is one, he swoops in and tries to schmooze them over to Chapel Hill. It worked for Barnes, but it aint working for Austin or anyone beyond hoefully.
    Lol, true...

Maybe ol' Roy Boy is reaaalllly confused, and thinks June 15th, summer after a players Sophomore year, is that "Last Minute" to offer a scholly for that year I dont think its a huge stretch

J.P Tokoto offered by UNC: http://northcarolina.scout.com/a.z?s...%2f977422.html

There are also rumblings out there they may offer L.J Rose, Shabuzz Muhammad and Andre Drummond by the end of the day.

According to Rivals.com, we have offered the top ranked player in the 2012 Andre Drummond

http://rivals.yahoo.com/Duke/basketb...kMzl2TMuaTrpB4

question

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlueNV View Post
    I'm not an insider I just follow recruiting as close as possible without spending $100 to join a premium website and I dont have any ties to the program so I couldnt tell you exactly what the staff is thinking. I assume the program will take whoever pulls the trigger first... Shabazz has an offer as well, I assume Scout just hasnt updated yet.
    can someone explain premium to me? it seems odd that subscribers would pay for content that they themselves are providing to each other. It is even more odd to see them defend the privacy of that information on the free page because of the exact pay structure that made no sense in the first place. maybe i just don't get it though...

Quote Originally Posted by dgoore97 View Post
    can someone explain premium to me? it seems odd that subscribers would pay for content that they themselves are providing to each other. It is even more odd to see them defend the privacy of that information on the free page because of the exact pay structure that made no sense in the first place. maybe i just don't get it though...
    Well, it may not be for everybody, but most premium sites do provide some information that is not generally available on free sites. They may have a particular scout who has interviewed a prospect or spoken to him on the phone, and provides a quote or two. The site may also have a somewhat detailed scouting report or evaluation of a prospect's game. This report comes from a talent evaluator or scout of the particular service.

Rivals.com and Scout.com are the most prevalent premium sites. For example, the Rivals site for Penn State football (which I have occasionally joined and dropped off) has 3 guys who appear to have some inside access to Penn State football recruits and assistant coaches. This information is then available to subscribers.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Well, it may not be for everybody, but most premium sites do provide some information that is not generally available on free sites. They may have a particular scout who has interviewed a prospect or spoken to him on the phone, and provides a quote or two. The site may also have a somewhat detailed scouting report or evaluation of a prospect's game. This report comes from a talent evaluator or scout of the particular service.

Rivals.com and Scout.com are the most prevalent premium sites. For example, the Rivals site for Penn State football (which I have occasionally joined and dropped off) has 3 guys who appear to have some inside access to Penn State football recruits and assistant coaches. This information is then available to subscribers.
    do those insiders pay to join as well?

Quote Originally Posted by dgoore97 View Post
    do those insiders pay to join as well?
    No, I wasn't clear; in this case, the 3 guys who appear to have inside access are employees of the web site who interact with recruits, existing players, and coaches.

As for other posters with supposed inside information...yeah, that happens sometimes, but mostly the perceived value of a premium site is in the news provided by the site owner or a scout/talent evaluator who works for the local site or part of the national network (of rivals.com, for example).

I've always wondered why someone who is an "insider" would pay $100 dollars to share information that he has with other people. I understand why someone would pay the money to gain excess to someone with insider info but why would the insider pay to share it?

Edit- Mainly talking about members to premium forums not the writers for scout/rivals/etc

I've always wondered why someone who is an "insider" would pay $100 dollars to share information that he has with other people. I understand why someone would pay the money to gain excess to someone with insider info but why would the insider pay to share it?

Edit- Mainly talking about members to premium forums not the writers for scout/rivals/etc
    There are different kinds of insiders. One could have connection to the Duke staff. One could have a connection to the kid. One could have a connection to the kid's AAU coach, etc... Forums like this one and TDD and DI, et al. are just places for people to meet up and share all of that information.

There are different kinds of insiders. One could have connection to the Duke staff. One could have a connection to the kid. One could have a connection to the kid's AAU coach, etc... Forums like this one and TDD and DI, et al. are just places for people to meet up and share all of that information.
    Yea I got all that but I think you misunderstood the question. What I'm asking is why premium forums have insiders (who aren't the writers themselves) that share inside info. Placing yourself in their shoes, why would they PAY to join a website to share info with non-insiders?

Yea I got all that but I think you misunderstood the question. What I'm asking is why premium forums have insiders (who aren't the writers themselves) that share inside info. Placing yourself in their shoes, why would they PAY to join a website to share info with non-insiders?
    Because they don't have all sides of the story. Like I said, not all insiders are alike. Also, there is some information that shouldn't be shared on a free board but can be shared on a Premium Board. Speaking from experience, most of the people who post on Premium boards are more informed and have a level of sophistication you don't find on free boards as well. I did say most people...