Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by dukefanSD View Post
    Am I mistaken, or at the time when they had the protests about women members, were there no commercials at all, so sponsors wouldn't be pressured to boycott or something?
    Yeah, that was their version of a large middle finger. I can't remember if they had more commercials before that incident than now. Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Call out Jim Nantz? Quite the contrary, Billy "Rocket In My Pocket" Payne laid a slobbery man-crush on our friend Jimmy. Dang near turned Butler Cabin into the Love Shack. Bill Simmons nails the Masters TV coverage here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/100412

Money quote (pun intended):

"In 2010, networks, agents and superstars have all the power in sports. Nobody else really matters. Augusta flips that around. They make it very clear to everyone. We hold the cards. Not you. Us. For one week a year, you will play by OUR rules. Augusta might be the only sports monolith left that doesn't totally care about money."

Contrast with the NCAA, where they even break away during 30-second timeouts, and are now apparently even scalping their own Final Four tickets INSIDE the arena!! Cha-ching!!
    Couldn't tell if this was sarcastic or not, so apologize. My point was that Jim Nantz has been going through a very public divorce due in part to his marital indiscretions. But Billy Payne didn't feel the need to call him to the carpet. That statement by Payne was unneeded, "holier than thou," and borderline hypocritical.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Couldn't tell if this was sarcastic or not, so apologize. My point was that Jim Nantz has been going through a very public divorce due in part to his marital indiscretions. But Billy Payne didn't feel the need to call him to the carpet. That statement by Payne was unneeded, "holier than thou," and borderline hypocritical.
    Over the years there have been many philanderers on the PGA Tour. It was well known in the 50's and 60's that Arnold Palmer was quite the swordsman.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Ah, probably laid it on too thick. I agree with you - in fact, Billy "Don't Bogart That Joint" Payne went out of his way to congratulate Nantz on his fine TV work at the Masters over the years. But that's the whole point of being the boss man at Augusta: you can say what you want, do what you want, and if anyone has a problem with that, you can tell them where to stick it...