Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Yeah, I can't really see a downside for Butler here. When Gonzaga got blasted by us in MSG, did that kill their program or take it down a notch? Not at all. If anything, Gonzaga is respected even more because of their willingness to take on the big boys, anytime, anywhere.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I bet if we did a home and home, and the first game was in Hinkle, it would one of the hightest rated regular season games ever. Both teams would get plenty of cash just from ESPN or CBS.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I bet if we did a home and home, and the first game was in Hinkle, it would one of the hightest rated regular season games ever. Both teams would get plenty of cash just from ESPN or CBS.
    Put it on CBS simply so we can have Gus Johnson call the game

Chuck Allen's article (linked on the DBR front page) is an excellent tribute to the Bulldogs. I really liked his comparisons and his closing:

Wherever we may play, Duke and Butler share common bonds--two smaller private schools that play in old traditional gyms, recruit honestly, value education, and play the game the right way.

As for that national championship that eluded you by inches, just tell Jimmy Chitwood to keep shooting. I know the script. I know how the story ends.

Eventually, the last shot goes in.
    Well said. K has always made the distinction between coaches who cobble together teams and coaches who build programs. Stevens clearly falls in the latter group. If he stays and builds the kind of program it appears he's capable of building, Butler may one day be as reviled as the Blue Devils ... An odd but fitting tribute. It'll be nice to have company.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Yeah, I can't really see a downside for Butler here. When Gonzaga got blasted by us in MSG, did that kill their program or take it down a notch? Not at all. If anything, Gonzaga is respected even more because of their willingness to take on the big boys, anytime, anywhere.
    That's true but they were forced into it. Dickau's last year (i believe it was is last) they had a great record but got stuck with a 6 seed because they had a lousy schedule. There was a lot of howling about it on ESPN because the Bulldogs were ranked in the top 10 at the time but I agreed with the seeding and they got knocked off by an 11 seed in the first round, so the committee came out looking great. After that, Mark Few started taking on all comers and Gonzaga began to legitimate earn its higher seeding.

This, to me, is a happy tail. I get very upset when these "mid-major" teams cry foul over not getting in or getting lower seedings when they haven't played anyone. Too many just like to sit back and feast on cupcakes and then complain that they can't get games if things don't work out in their favor. But they can get games. Butler can schedule plenty of power programs right now, if they want. At least, I don't see why not. If it turns out they're trying and getting shunned, then I'll retract the comment but it's not fair to demand that some teams schedule tough OOC but then let other teams get away with weak scheduling because they're "cute."

Quote Originally Posted by LSanders View Post
    Chuck Allen's article (linked on the DBR front page) is an excellent tribute to the Bulldogs. I really liked his comparisons and his closing:

Well said. K has always made the distinction between coaches who cobble together teams and coaches who build programs. Stevens clearly falls in the latter group. If he stays and builds the kind of program it appears he's capable of building, Butler may one day be as reviled as the Blue Devils ... An odd but fitting tribute. It'll be nice to have company.
    Stevens has done a good job at Butler but he didn't exactly build the program -- at least not as head coach. He joined the staff in 2000-01 but became head coach only in 2007. Butler was already the established power in the Horizon league by then.

http://www.butlersports.com/sports/m...040407aab.html

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The first should be in Cameron. Butler already had a home game in this series.

I don't know if its already been said, but twitter talk between Nolan and Shelvin Mack says Duke and Butler will rematch next season in NJ...could just be smoke though.

twitter.com/Ndotsmitty

Quote Originally Posted by devildownunder View Post
    The first should be in Cameron. Butler already had a home game in this series.

I think they should reciprocate with a home game for us in MSG.

I'll take your and raise it.

Quote Originally Posted by hudlow View Post
    I bet you couldn't throw ol' Huck into that situation, dadgummit.

hud
    I thought his name was ol' Roy!
    http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/68...97_500X500.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by baby-face dawkins View Post
    I don't know if its already been said, but twitter talk between Nolan and Shelvin Mack says Duke and Butler will rematch next season in NJ...could just be smoke though.

twitter.com/Ndotsmitty
    Does Nolan know everybody...or what!

Great smile, great personality, great kid...wonder what he gets into after his playing days are done? Coaching? Or serve somewhere in the Battier administration?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Does Nolan know everybody...or what!

Great smile, great personality, great kid...wonder what he gets into after his playing days are done? Coaching? Or serve somewhere in the Battier administration?
    BINGO! However, Shane has no shot at any office other than adult film star of the year unless he is clean shaven. I do agree that Nolan would be a great coach and teacher of young men. There just seems to be something special about him as a wonderful human being.