Camcorder recommendations

I was hoping I could lean on some of the techie knowledge around here to find a decent camcorder. It usually helps if I post a few guidelines, so here it goes:

-I'd like to stay around $500 or so. If it's the best deal since sliced bread, I may be able to swing a bit more, but I'd like that to be my starting point.

-From what I've read, I think I'd like one of the hard drive based camcorders. That's not set in stone either, and I don't really know the plusses and minuses other than it seems convenient.

-The occaision is the first new addition to the family (woohoo!), so it will mostly be used for sending the grandparents video clips and making memories of the baby times. So while using it to tape recitals and sports would be useful, that's probably a few years away.

-I will probably be using it both indoors and out, so a versatile picture is a big bonus.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Talking Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Dukiedevil View Post
    -The occaision is the first new addition to the family (woohoo!), so it will mostly be used for sending the grandparents video clips and making memories of the baby times. So while using it to tape recitals and sports would be useful, that's probably a few years away.
    Woohoo! indeed! Congratulations. I have no recommendations on equipment as it has been about 13 years since I bought my second and last camera (I think it still works, but I haven't used it in a couple of years. The battery is probably dead.)

I bought my first video camera on April 8, 1983. When I brought it home and started using it, my just under one year old daughter took her first steps on camera! What a thrill! As far as I was concerned, it justified the almost $3000 right then and there! Video cameras cost a lot more back then, and they were much bigger too. And the VHS tape unit was separate from the camera. A few years ago I transferred that and other early tapes to DVD, as long time readers will remember our threads on the first/early DVD recorders in 2002(?)
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com