Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Props to both Butler and Stevens for reaching an agreement quickly. Cuts down on a lot of excess stomach acid all around.

Let's bring this one back up, folks. Let's make one thing clear; the guy can coach. Period. To take two teams to the final four with, what, maybe one NBA level player on either of them, no McDonald's AAs or anything, is damn good coaching. I can find you 30 other college teams with talent as good as his, and they're not going to the Final Four. Look at their defense, their hustle, their ball movement, toughness down the stretch. Folks, that's good coaching. So. The question, is with K in his 60s, about to break the record, and maybe a few more years to go, what would it take to get him? Do we get him, or does a K disciple (Johnny D, etc. get it). Note that none of K's assistants has done all that great as a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    Let's bring this one back up, folks. Let's make one thing clear; the guy can coach. Period. To take two teams to the final four with, what, maybe one NBA level player on either of them, no McDonald's AAs or anything, is damn good coaching. I can find you 30 other college teams with talent as good as his, and they're not going to the Final Four. Look at their defense, their hustle, their ball movement, toughness down the stretch. Folks, that's good coaching. So. The question, is with K in his 60s, about to break the record, and maybe a few more years to go, what would it take to get him? Do we get him, or does a K disciple (Johnny D, etc. get it). Note that none of K's assistants has done all that great as a coach.
    I feel like K is going at least 5 more years. But yeah I'd love to get this guy if he's available when K retires.

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    What he's done the last 2 years may be the best coaching job I've ever seen. If he's not at the top of everyone's "want" list as far as head coaches go then they shouldn't be in charge of finding a head coach. That being said he obviously would only accept certain jobs and we'd all like to think that Duke would be near the top of that list. He's definitely very impressive... not just his coaching results but the way he handles himself.

I would quibble with the talent assessment though. Mack and Howard will both get drafted and I wouldn't be surprised to see either make an NBA roster next year (if we have NBA rosters next year).

You know...having gone up against K a couple times recently, think he might not be afraid of playing against him year in and year out? Might even enjoy the challenge...could State put together a package of money, resources, and promises of support attractive enough to pull him away from Butler?

Coach Stevens and Shelvin Mack are being interviewed on cbs. Class act! With the exception of Sir Charles.

Butler is a very humble team!

Still reminds me of Duke with Coach K in the 80's. And of course without the potty mouth language.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I'm with ReformedAggie. I like the guy. He has had some success. I want to see him sustain that success. Look at Donovan and many others. One good run does not make a genius. Lightening can be caught in the bottle. It is keeping it there that is difficult!
    I think this is definitely part of it. Shelvin Mack and Matt Howard are perhaps the best players in the country at their positions. They also play the two most important positions on the floor, center and point guard. When they go it seems very unlikely that his success will continue.

RECRUITING will be easier, than it was 2 years ago for Butler. And we have all seen and heard from Coach Stevens. What a nice man! So smart and so humble. In his interview, very very kind and generous words about Billy Donovan and the Florida Gators.

WE can bring out the max potential of non elaborate and heralded players. No Mickey D players or Top 20, 25, players. Coach Stevens just flat out coaches and his players play with HEART AND HUSTLE! They get the job done!

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    You know...having gone up against K a couple times recently, think he might not be afraid of playing against him year in and year out? Might even enjoy the challenge...could State put together a package of money, resources, and promises of support attractive enough to pull him away from Butler?
    I don't think Stevens is going to leave Butler unless he gets the coaching job of lifetime offered to him. Quite frankly, he has put himself in a position where he is without a doubt the most sought-after coach in the nation (obviously not cindering guys like K, self and roy who are not going anywhere), and has the leverage of a good program and a great situation in Butler. Not only is it going to take a lot of money to pry him away from Butler, but I have a feeling it will also take a school like Duke, Kentucky, UCLA, etc. to come calling.

At least this is what would be going through my head... Everyone knows that Brad Stevens can flat out coach, and that he is the perfect person to represent your program to young men and their parents, a great role model. With the enormous amount of leverage he has at Butler (good program, good history, his family likes it, huge contract), there is no reason for him to take a job that is not cream-of-the crop. He doesn't, unlike most mid-major coaches, need to take a non-elite job in a power conference to show that he can coach at that level. We know that he can coach at that level!. So why would he take the risk of going to coach at State, where so many outside factors can control his ability to compete with Duke and UNC (I mean there is a reason that schools like DePaul, NCST, Seton Hall, Arkansas, etc. are constantly in the job market for head coaches), and risk tarnishing his image/legacy, while also throwing away his great situation at Butler.

Just my two cents worth, but who knows... he could accept the job at state the day after the tournament, you never know in this business (ex. Mike Anderson at Mizzou)

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    I think this is definitely part of it. Shelvin Mack and Matt Howard are perhaps the best players in the country at their positions. They also play the two most important positions on the floor, center and point guard. When they go it seems very unlikely that his success will continue.
    I think this is wrong. First, Mack plays shooting guard mainly (Van Zant plays Point). Second, Mack stays next year, so they won't be completely hurt. Third, between Smith and Marshall they'll be fine up front, and Marshall is known to be super talented.

The team's recruiting will be helped greatly by this, and they're already recruiting 3 stars with regularity.

I don't expect them to go to F4s very often....I don't expect major programs to go to F4s very often. But if Stevens were to stay, we would expect them to go to the S16 very frequently.

This is not a flash in the pan program or coach.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

He will only go to a top program when it fits his schedule. He holds all the cards and obviously enjoys the local atmosphere but it will be tough to hold out forever. Nobody knows what his end game is but he could be trying to create a Xavier or 'Zaga at Butler and ultimately turn Butler into a perenial top 10 program. But I do think he will leave after a certain point. But you have to think IU is his dream job. Duke would have a lot to offer but that is a long time away and Crean could very well be on his way out. If Stevens has a down year and Crean gets the ax, that could very well be it.

But the question of who replaces K has plenty of time to resolve itself but it would be nice to see Dawkins do some good things at Stanford. Also have to wonder if Collins would get a coaching gig or if he is waiting til K retires.

But if Duke goes outside the family, you have to think most if not all of the staff would leave and even if they hire from within, you'd have to think Collins or Wojo would leave if they felt they got passed over and I always thought having those guys around was one of Duke's advantages.

Stevens won't be going to State or even considering it for more than .5 seconds. No way in a million years. He's way too good for State. His in game coaching is the best in the business right now and he maximizes his talent better than anyone. Whenever he leaves Butler, if he leaves Butler, it will be for a job at one of the all time best programs, which State is not.

Quote Originally Posted by peplaw06 View Post
    I feel like K is going at least 5 more years. But yeah I'd love to get this guy if he's available when K retires.
    Another popular name on this board is Jay Wright. I think both represent wishful thinking. Coach K obviously will play a major role in the hiring of our next coach, and he often preaches how important it is for Duke to have a staff with a heavy Duke background because coaches with Duke backgrounds know exactly what it is like to be a student-athlete at Duke. My feeling on exactly who that person might be changes from year to year, but there is little doubt in my mind that whoever it is will have strong ties to Duke.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by sporthenry View Post
    But the question of who replaces K has plenty of time to resolve itself but it would be nice to see Dawkins do some good things at Stanford. Also have to wonder if Collins would get a coaching gig or if he is waiting til K retires.

But if Duke goes outside the family, you have to think most if not all of the staff would leave and even if they hire from within, you'd have to think Collins or Wojo would leave if they felt they got passed over and I always thought having those guys around was one of Duke's advantages.

Agreed; obviously it would be nice to have someone from within the family, but none have proven themselves nearly as well as Stevens has. Amaker has actually done quite well - you have to handicap his time at UM, as his recruiting legs were totally cut out from under him because of the Fab 5's misdeeds and the subsequent probation laid upon the program, seemingly minutes after the ink was dry on Amaker's contract.

Johnny D still needs to show some progress at Stanford. Brey has been a very good regular season guy at ND. How about we draft that old assistant from the 1991 squad, Bilas, out of the booth? Kind of like the D-backs did that one year?

Collins and Wojo have been excellent assistants for us. But should they not go somewhere to head coach before coming back?

In sum, I'd love to have K's successor come from the family. But none of them has yet shown they can make a better head coach than Brad Stevens.

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    Coach K obviously will play a major role in the hiring of our next coach, and he often preaches how important it is for Duke to have a staff with a heavy Duke background because coaches with Duke backgrounds know exactly what it is like to be a student-athlete at Duke.
    Is that the reason he gives? Shepherding a student-athlete through Duke would not, I would think, be a Herculean task. There are other schools that excel at academics and athletics. Not a ton, but enough that you need not limit yourself to Duke people for THAT reason.

I would have thought loyalty would be the reason. With more of a Duke connection, they're more willing to be loyal to the program and the school. Coach K is big on loyalty.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Is that the reason he gives? Shepherding a student-athlete through Duke would not, I would think, be a Herculean task. There are other schools that excel at academics and athletics. Not a ton, but enough that you need not limit yourself to Duke people for THAT reason.

I would have thought loyalty would be the reason. With more of a Duke connection, they're more willing to be loyal to the program and the school. Coach K is big on loyalty.
    Yes, he gives that reason as to why he likes to have former Duke players on his staff. I did not intend to suggest that this is the only reason our next coach would have a Duke background. I absolutely agree with you that loyalty is major personal characteristic of Coach K's that I expect will be a significant characteristic of his replacement - someone who's been absolutely loyal to Coach K personally and would be absolutely loyal to the program. Needless to say, loyalty and being a former Duke player are not mutually exclusive. From my non-insider perspective, there are a bunch of folks who would qualify as both.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    He should develop his assistants, hit the recruiting trail and wait for the "perfect" offer to come along.
    When K retires?

I thought I felt sorry for the poor bastard that has to be Duke's next coach before. But now it looks like he won't just have to compete with Mike Krzyzewski, but Brad Stevens and any other hot young coach out there. Pretty rough.