Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Brad Stevens signs 12 year contract

Extension with Butler. No link yet, but saw it on ESPNEWS. He definitely deserves it!

Now, onto plan B for Wake Forest...
    T '05, SOM '10

Quote Originally Posted by coldriver10 View Post
    Now, onto plan B for Wake Forest...
    And onto plan F for Oregon.

I'm happy for Stevens. He's following the Mark Few model for long-term success and happiness. This model has a much higher probability of working out than taking a job at a major conference school, IMO.

Great for Stevens and for Butler. The Butler story gets better and better. I sure hope Duke and Butler get that rumored series started next season, and that it lasts awhile. Butler and Duke; who'd a thunk it? A storied program meets a great story.

It will be interesting to hear some detail about the $$. As Coach K said in his post-game comments, Brad Stevens is a great coach and they should pay him more money! Doesn't 12 years sound like a long contract?

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was a joke. Wow.

Great for the guy to be loyal to his school, but it seems like he's killing his chances to take over another program if things take a turn at Butler or if something great opens up somewhere else. Not sure if I'd have signed on for that long.

It will be interesting to hear some detail about the $$. As Coach K said in his post-game comments, Brad Stevens is a great coach and they should pay him more money! Doesn't 12 years sound like a long contract?
    Could be ending about the time K steps aside...

Just sayin', as they say on the Internet.

Very unlikely, however. Chris Collins!

lives near a number of big white buildings
    I hope the contract provides for his security while giving him some freedom if the school doesn't adequately support the program in general. (And I hope he had a good lawyer!)

Quote Originally Posted by stillcrazie View Post
    Great for the guy to be loyal to his school, but it seems like he's killing his chances to take over another program if things take a turn at Butler or if something great opens up somewhere else. Not sure if I'd have signed on for that long.
    Well, signing a contract doesn't mean he's forced to stay there for the next 12 years, nor is Butler forced to keep him. I'm sure there are buy-out clauses both ways.
    T '05, SOM '10

It's a good thing when people listen to Coach K. Now, if Austin Rivers is reading...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    I know nothing of the details of this, but I suspect this is something aimed at keeping the less major conference schools from even bothering to call, reassuring recruits, etc etc to help Butler continue to build. If one of the premier jobs opened up and wanted to enquire, I'm sure Stevens would listen. He might leave Butler for say KU or UConn(where the job could be open in the not too distant future, and again I say might, not would), but he's not leaving Butler for Clemson, Oregon, Depaul, etc, so don't ask unless you've got a boatload of cash, and its an obvious step up in terms of program.

There aren't many candidates out there to break the all time wins record. It has taken a remarkably consistent and superior from K to finally get there. With the parity out there today, it just isnt really conceivable for any coach to win 30+ games a year for 30+ years.

That said, Stevens is the one guy out there who I think may one day be able to sniff the record, especially if he stays at Butler. Butler routinely wins 25+ games in the Horizon. If Stevens stays put, he is really the only guy out there who may once again be mentioned in the same sentence as Coach K, but this time for a different reason.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Could be ending about the time K steps aside...

Very unlikely, however. Chris Collins!
    I work with a guy who grew up with Stevens and was his guest over the Final 4 weekend.

Your suggestion is not totally out of bounds...

hud

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    There aren't many candidates out there to break the all time wins record. It has taken a remarkably consistent and superior from K to finally get there. With the parity out there today, it just isnt really conceivable for any coach to win 30+ games a year for 30+ years.

That said, Stevens is the one guy out there who I think may one day be able to sniff the record, especially if he stays at Butler. Butler routinely wins 25+ games in the Horizon. If Stevens stays put, he is really the only guy out there who may once again be mentioned in the same sentence as Coach K, but this time for a different reason.
    Bring this up again in say, 20 to 25 years, and you'll have a valid point.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Wow- a bit of extrapolation. He is three or so years into his coaching career. For all we know, his core guys are just much better than anyone thought and he has lucked out. The true test is whether he can take multiple teams deep into the tourney- all with different personnel. There have been many coaches that have done very well at the mid major level and some looked like absolute coaching stars. With success comes pressure. Beating Butler will now be the focus of many teams.

His staying at Butler is really a smart move. He needs to develop his coaching chops and show he can do this over multiple years. He does look very solid and next year will tell a lot because if the core comes back- the expectation is a final four appearance.

I am also sensing a bit of a Brad Stevens effect out there- coaches who have not turned programs around in 3-4 years are being compared to Stevens and it is making their seats a bit hotter. I wonder if the coaching fraternity will embrace Stevens. Staying outside their leagues may help- but still his name is likely being mentioned in closed door sessions with the AD. I am pretty sure Dino heard his name this past weekend.

You think he's the Albert Pujols of college basketball coaching? The one guy who in our generation steps up to the plate to challenge the greats and doesn't flame out? I hope so, it'd be pretty cool to witness an awesome career from the darn near start of it. Especially for a guy, who from all I can tell, seems like a class act and buys into the institution of college rather than just the sport of college basketball.

Phew. Glad Wake didn't get him.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Bring this up again in say, 20 to 25 years, and you'll have a valid point.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Wow- a bit of extrapolation. He is three or so years into his coaching career. For all we know, his core guys are just much better than anyone thought and he has lucked out. The true test is whether he can take multiple teams deep into the tourney- all with different personnel. There have been many coaches that have done very well at the mid major level and some looked like absolute coaching stars. With success comes pressure. Beating Butler will now be the focus of many teams.

His staying at Butler is really a smart move. He needs to develop his coaching chops and show he can do this over multiple years. He does look very solid and next year will tell a lot because if the core comes back- the expectation is a final four appearance.

I am also sensing a bit of a Brad Stevens effect out there- coaches who have not turned programs around in 3-4 years are being compared to Stevens and it is making their seats a bit hotter. I wonder if the coaching fraternity will embrace Stevens. Staying outside their leagues may help- but still his name is likely being mentioned in closed door sessions with the AD. I am pretty sure Dino heard his name this past weekend.
    You know how things get in the offseason ... just trying to fill the time until next season
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

You know how things get in the offseason ... just trying to fill the time until next season
    Wasn't Billy Donovan anointed "the next great coach" just a few short years ago- getting to the FF every year- getting any recruit he wanted? Oh how quickly things can change in the world of college sports.

i would love to see us add butler to our non conference schedule...the last one before conference play gets rolling....that would be awesome...