Thread: Duke Depression

Duke Depression

I am still suffering from "DD" (Duke Depression). We (My family) used that term for over 30 years. When Duke would under perform or under achieve in the tournaments and bow out early, my Dad and I would be very depressed and gloomy for several days, sometimes a few weeks.

Because attending Duke basketball and football also, were family events. Many many conversations and brackets filled out over the years. We would cheer together in victory and shed tears together over defeat.

My Duke Depression is still in tact. Its Sunday and gloomy and 2 big games today. And I despise the Tar Heels with a passion. I feel like I have lost a pet or family member. Maybe not a Family member (depend on that family member..lol).

The Butler Bulldogs remind me of Duke, during the early Coach K years. Duke was everyone's team. The little elite private school with the young unknown Coach, who just kept on winning; and making it to the Elite 8 and Final 4. Having Butler in the Final 4, relieves some of my Duke Depression.

I am still so sad that Duke bowed out the way they did. Feel for Nolan and Kyle and their families. I am sure they are in their own Duke Depression. Duke Nation and the Duke Blue Planet we live on, with all the Duke People are feeling sad today, watching other teams play, and our Blue Devils are in Durham.

GO VCU... Go Butler, and for today.... Go UK (that pains me to say). GTHC

In time, Duke Depression will get better. (especially when the Holes go down)!

Does anyone else still feel depressed, or gloomy or that sick (ick) feeling?

This is a little snarky (ok, maybe a lot snarky - and I apologize) but are you new here?

Just look at the threads:

Worst loss ever for me
    Why do fans of other schools make fun of our players crying?
    I think the mourning on this board is ridiculous
    Rooting for a Calipari-led team is like . . .
    Easy choice, terrible choice?
    Will you be rooting for anyone else to win the NCAA, and why?
    Irony? Conspiracy? Or something equally nefarious? You decide!
    Wonderful Open Letter from Matthew Laurance to Kyle Singler & Nolan Smith
    To DBR: On Shutting Down The Basketball Board
    The official "It's My Fault" thread
    Back into my closet
    The effect of expectations on a season for a fan
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Just look at the threads:

Worst loss ever for me
    Why do fans of other schools make fun of our players crying?
    I think the mourning on this board is ridiculous
    Rooting for a Calipari-led team is like . . .
    Easy choice, terrible choice?
    Will you be rooting for anyone else to win the NCAA, and why?
    Irony? Conspiracy? Or something equally nefarious? You decide!
    Wonderful Open Letter from Matthew Laurance to Kyle Singler & Nolan Smith
    To DBR: On Shutting Down The Basketball Board
    The official "It's My Fault" thread
    Back into my closet
    The effect of expectations on a season for a fan
    PERHAPS YOU SHOULD READ THE IC FORUM AND THEIR THREADS!!!!!

I was waiting on the buses to pull in from the airport on Friday afternoon. Everyone was depressed and clearly upset. Just a few students, staff, and family and fans were waiting on the 3 buses.

And perhaps forums are a way to express one's feelings, thoughts, and opinions.

And watching the VCU Kansas game right now, with VCU in the lead, brings a half smile to my face.

I will get over my Duke Depression. Just NOT today!

i'm not smiling...my depression is made worse knowing that the path for another unc title is getting easier...

teams like vcu play off the chain, and then roll up against the holes....

i want the strongest teams in the holes' path...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I'm always a little blue at the end of basketball season anyway...December seems like a long way away and I so look forward to every game. But, I am definitely still in a funk. We were pulling for Florida and they bowed out, I can safely cheer for Butler, but I'd still rather be in it. Glad to see VCU win and for today, and today only, come on Kentucky! You're not alone, and I'll probably be a little sad through the rest of the week. I could hardly go to work on Friday I was so dejected.

My Duke Depression is a little better now!

Thanks to the Ashley Judd University for taking out the Tar Heels. And keeping Henson in foul trouble. Enough to foul out!

And JUST for TODAY, I was a UK fan, even if it was for 2 hours!! Congrats to UK on playing a good game for 40 minutes. The game looked to be a good clean game! Heated moments of course, but a good called game.

Either way, a Cinderella team is in the Final Dance! I want Butler Bulldogs to wear those slippers and get the crown! So deserving and so worthy!

Thanks UK, for making the last 3 days, seem a little brighter, now.

It will be great at work tomorrow passing out UK hats. GTHC and let Zeller, Henson and Barnes stop in the NBA on their way.