Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I think the mourning on this board is ridiculous

It's time to move on. Duke lost. Duke will lose again. Losing makes the winning sweet and Duke will win again. I promise. I promise.

Now put your sticks in the car, drive your sad selves to the golf course and whack some balls. It makes things a lot better. I don't care if you have never played before - just do it.

Stop whining. It's not becoming.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    It's time to move on. Duke lost. Duke will lose again. Losing makes the winning sweet and Duke will win again. I promise. I promise.

Now put your sticks in the car, drive your sad selves to the golf course and whack some balls. It makes things a lot better. I don't care if you have never played before - just do it.

I don't play golf these days. I am going to the Spring Scrimmage today.

It's more than mourning - it's withdrawal. It will leave the system on its on...

Don't be too hard. I think the group is in collective shock. I love the way our program builds such high expectations - its jolting when we lose.

At the same time the OSU lose should provide some great perspective. Its not just us. There's no just no guarantees in a one and done tournament. Being good enough can typically get you to the Sweet Sixteen - from there on out the Gods have an awful lot to do with it.

i was prepared for a loss...i always am...i was NOT prepared for how we got manhandled...i never am...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    It's more than mourning - it's withdrawal. It will leave the system on its on...
    Every day of my life for the last twenty five years, I think about and look forward to the next time I see Duke play basketball. For the last four or so of those, I've looked forward to seeing Kyle and Nolan play. I'm not going to see the latter ever again, so i feel like mourning a little. And btw, if you ever saw me play golf, you'd tell me to put those sticks up and mourn what I did to your game. uuuuuuuuuggggggggllllyyyyyyyy

I wouldn't call it whining. For me, I'm totally bummed that I don't get to see Kyle and Nolan play again. I feel like I know those guys after 4 years of passionate rooting for them.

So, you'll pardon people like me for being slightly emotional/depressed about not seeing some friends again.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i was prepared for a loss...i always am...i was NOT prepared for how we got manhandled...i never am...
    Also did not see this team losing in that manner to a #5 seed, but getting (to use K's term) "buzzsawed" like that is for me easier to take than a Pitt, Ohio State, or Indiana 2002 type loss - or maybe since I recognize how much luck goes into ending the season with a win it is easier for me to move on than when I was younger

I am in mourning and I am definitely ok with that and definitely not worried about others' feelings about my mini-depression.

Everyone has their hobby - some drink, some play a sport, some gamble, some cheat...Whoops...started listing all of my co-workers' hobbies. The same co-workers who think it is ok to harass me in my darkest hour. They don't get it and they don't matter. My bad...but let the rant continue.

I spend most of my time following, watching, reading about Duke basketball. My playing days were ended abruptly when I suffered a career-ending knee injury in college. I didn't get to play my last game. I didn't get to realize my full potential as a college athlete after an unbelievable high school career. So, in a sense, I have some weird, emotional, healthy/unhealthy (depending on which way you look at it) connection to Duke.

In another sense, my life has been in complete turmoil over the past 2 years with some unfortunate family circumstances. I have turned to Duke to give me something to look forward to. For two hours a night, I can get away from all the madness and just enjoy something that's so pure and innocent - kids playing the game they love. With the season being over, I feel like my "escape from cold reality" has been taken away. Call me crazy, that's fine...but please don't tell me to not be a little upset with a loss...and please don't tell me not to be sad that two of the greatest kids to ever wear the Duke jersey will not be back.

I will forever be proud to be a Duke Girl.

Wow. Great post, DukeGirl.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Wow. Great post, DukeGirl.
    Thanks! My heart is in the right place...with the greatest college coach and the most devoted group of guys who play for the name on the front of their jersey!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason W View Post
    Every day of my life for the last twenty five years, I think about and look forward to the next time I see Duke play basketball. For the last four or so of those, I've looked forward to seeing Kyle and Nolan play. I'm not going to see the latter ever again, so i feel like mourning a little.
    Wait--did Kyle get a fifth year of eligibility!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post

I think taking a few swings at a pinata shaped like Ol'Roy's head would be a lot more therapeutic. Throw some brats and burgers on the grill, while chugging a few brews will definitely get you in the right mood.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    I think taking a few swings at a pinata shaped like Ol'Roy's head would be a lot more therapeutic.

Just make sure you include one of those God-awful, K-Mart special, puke blue ties around its neck.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post
    I will forever be proud to be a Duke Girl.
    Amen ... Except for the girl part.

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post
    Thanks! My heart is in the right place...with the greatest college coach and the most devoted group of guys who play for the name on the front of their jersey!
    I concur Duke Girl. Great post... The 2001 Championship always hits home with me as the Saturday morning we basically got my Dad's death sentence. My Mom with limited understanding of the game loved Coach K and Duke. That weekend I felt like for a few hours on Saturday and Monday Night that my mom had a break from watching the man she was in love with for 59 years wither away.

This thread reminds me...

This thread reminds me of the opposing fans who love to point out the Duke players who cry following their last loss. Carawell his last year and of course Nolan last night. I'm quite the opposite and love that we have players who care so much. I think the same can be said of our fans.

For me I'm definitely more disappointed in having wonderful players who will be moving on than I am in the loss. We are truly lucky.

I understand where the OP is coming from, but, with all due respect, everyone mourns in a different manner, and that should be respected. And, yes, I know that losing a basketball game should not be equated with a death, but, as Duke Girl so eloquently and passionately expressed, Duke Basketball is amazingly important for most of us on this board in many personal ways. I am still in pain, which will diminish as time goes by and next season approaches. I sincerely wish all of you the best during your personal mourning period.

Duke Girl, thanks for summing up how many of us feel. For me, Duke BB is something my dad and I share. Since I got married and moved a year ago, we haven't been able to go to a game together. I'm balancing a new husband, 13 year old stepson, and as of Dec 21 a new 16 year old foster son who had been homeless. The one time I get to turn everything off and enjoy something with my dad (via telephone). I'm choosing to cut myself and every other duke fan some slack and not reading the sports pages.

Thank you to all of you for responding to my post, and most of all, for "getting it". Basketball was not just a game for me. I am where I am today because of it. I received a full scholarship to college; without it, I wouldn't have gone to college, I probably wouldn't be a teacher, and I would not have the kind of life I have. I am grateful for this "game" and I am even more grateful to cheer for a program that has done it the right way with great kids.

Thank you to all of you for giving me a place to express my quirkiness. Not too many people understand where all of my passion and obsessiveness comes from, but you do. I consider you to be more of a friend than my actual friends!

a game

When Duke loses a big game, I get calls from friends expressing condolences. I generally respond by asking "did someone die?"

I'm very disappointed whenever Duke loses ... Especially a big game. But a few hours later I remember that it's just a game, I'm just a fan, and life goes on.