Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I think Coach K has 8-10 years left... In those 8-10 years, he could win between 2-5 more NCAA championships.
    Pessimist.

I think you meant to say, "In those 8-10 years, he could win between 8-10 more NCAA championships."

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD View Post
    Pessimist.

I think you meant to say, "In those 8-10 years, he could win between 8-10 more NCAA championships."
    Yeah, watch out Wooden!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    I believe Dean Smith left because he lost the passion for the game and my feeling is that had to do with the view of the players that college was just a stepping stone to the pros.
    Coaching Rasheed Wallace certainly could have that effect.

But before he stepped down Dean brought Carolina back from being perceived as having been left in the dust by Coach K and the early 90s Duke championship teams.

Interesting to compare the similarities with a 62 year old Dean entering his third decade as the program's head coach and UNC winning it in 1993, after Duke was regarded as having pulled away as a program, to a 63 year old K entering his third decade as the program's head coach and Duke returning to the top after the 2009 UNC championship was regarded as having cemented the Tar Heels as the ruling program.

Quote Originally Posted by callaway View Post
    Truth in this...as long as his health allows it to happen.
    K is always so thankful for his good heath and we often ignore this point and take his good health for granted.

Since K has established such a tight knit community and unique establishment at Duke, I have little doubt that the coach who inherits the dynasty that is Duke Basketball will come from within. Or I think it will be offered to Johnny Dawkins.

I believe he will Coach until his health goes or someone he wants to take over is ready.

Maybe when Dawkins is ready but if he doesn't want it then Stevens might be the guy. It will be someone he wants and believes will be successful so it isn't going to be just anyone.

Having said that, I would never want to be the guy to follow him. To be compared and held to his success will be too much. I cheer for Duke because of him, when he goes I'm not sure I will follow Duke again, maybe even college basketball.

^^Really?

I love Coach K but my initial following of Duke b-ball started in 1978 (when I was just a youth, of course). I must admit that my interest grew as I got older, especially in 1986 and I loved the way that Alarie, Dawkins, etc. played the game. That interest and admiration has grown and even though I don't want to think of Duke without Coach K, I will always be a Duke fan, even though I am from Ohio.

One prerequisite for the next coach whoever it might be: win with integrity and decency.

GO DUKE

duke won't be retarded and hire just anyone like some other big programs. (Doherty, Gillispie) When Coach is done, and make no mistake, that is a LONG time from now, It will be someone who is ready for the job. Coach K loves Duke too much to leave it in the hands of someone who can't keep Duke's tradition strong.

The Onion reveals some of Coach's secrets ...

http://www.theonion.com/articles/mike-krzyzewski,17190/