Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
  1. #1

    Coach K and Duke basketball

    I've seen a lot of post about our players and future players. We talk about championships we won and our chances in the imminent future. But I couldn't help to wonder how much longer will coach K will stay as head coach before retiring, assuming he retires here.

    He is 63 years old. Listening to him speak today makes me suddenly realize his age and wonder how many good years will we still have him. There are a lot variable and uncertainties of the Duke team next year, but we know one constant, K. I couldn't imagine if we can ever go without him, he is Duke basketball.

    Maybe I am thinking way too ahead. I probably should just enjoy this moment, like Kyle Singler said.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Toledo
    I will say this, I don't want to imagine Duke Basketball without Coach. I'm younger, so it's all I've ever known. He is such an exceptional human being. He's almost not real. When you see him pass by in person or talk with him, he has an aura that not many people have. He's a special, special person. We are so fortunate. Losing him, that will be like a death.

    But the time will come. If it's given to Chris or Steve, however, the transition will be much easier for me. These guys and their fire are so much like Coach, that I think it'd be like having him still here.

    Let's not worry about this, though. Not yet. We are the 2010 National Champion. This moment is too good to look past. We have the greatest man who ever coached this game here still, and, for now, that's good enough for me.
    "Duke is a once in a lifetime opportunity and something you don't pass up on." -Amile Jefferson

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado

    So,

    Any other fears around the Nets Job, or has that been officially put to bed.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    My opinion, based on nothing but my opinion, is K will stay as our coach for another 7 to 10 years, assuming he stays healthy (God willing). I also think he will "rack up" two to four addition National Championships in that time, starting with a repeat next year and even a threepeat the year after. Kyrie Irving and Seth Curry are going to be two very special players

    Ooh! I'm GGLC just thinking about the prospects (at 3:19 a.m.)!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  5. #5

    You Rock...

    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    My opinion, based on nothing but my opinion, is K will stay as our coach for another 7 to 10 years, assuming he stays healthy (God willing). I also think he will "rack up" two to four addition National Championships in that time, starting with a repeat next year and even a threepeat the year after. Kyrie Irving and Seth Curry are going to be two very special players

    Ooh! I'm GGLC just thinking about the prospects (at 3:19 a.m.)!
    Hi Ozzie,

    I couldn't find the posts where I wrote that I wasn't willing to give even an inch this year. I am so happy the team wasn't either. I truly believe you are selling Coach a bit short. I feel he has 5 NCAA Championships left in him. What I am concerned about is the amount of hate Duke will endure when he does this.

    GO DUKE!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Nanjing, China
    my two favorites for the job when coach decides he's had enough: Johnny Dawkins and Brad Stevens

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by licc85 View Post
    my two favorites for the job when coach decides he's had enough: Johnny Dawkins and Brad Stevens
    Agreed. We should not be absolutely set on hiring a former Duke assistant when K retires. Between our television dominance and tradition, we should be able to have our pick of most any coach in the country. We don't know how Brad Stevens will rise in the 5 years or so but he sure seems to have all the qualities of a GREAT coach.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sullivans Island, SC
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtDevil View Post
    Any other fears around the Nets Job, or has that been officially put to bed.
    To my knowledge they haven't made a formal offer, but have "leaked" a contract will be worth 12-15 million and pushed in K's direction. We've been through this and now more than ever I can't see K leaving. That is a HUGE sum of money, but at this point in his coaching career is he really ready to take on a challenge of that magnitude? Granted, the Nets will probably be able to sign one if not two big signees this offseason, but the NBA is an entirely different animal as we've seen by the numerous college-to-pro coaching flameouts. Coach is 63, recently a national champion (yes!), and firmly set in his place at Trinity. Informally, to answer your question, I think it has long been put to bed...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    To my knowledge they haven't made a formal offer, but have "leaked" a contract will be worth 12-15 million and pushed in K's direction. We've been through this and now more than ever I can't see K leaving. That is a HUGE sum of money, but at this point in his coaching career is he really ready to take on a challenge of that magnitude? Granted, the Nets will probably be able to sign one if not two big signees this offseason, but the NBA is an entirely different animal as we've seen by the numerous college-to-pro coaching flameouts. Coach is 63, recently a national champion (yes!), and firmly set in his place at Trinity. Informally, to answer your question, I think it has long been put to bed...
    coach k isn't leaving duke whether it be for the nets or the lakers or whoelse....he said he's gonna retire at duke....he said this monday
    usa

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Texas/NC
    1) He will stay until he breaks the wins record
    2) He will stay until he wins another Gold Medal (2012)
    3) He will very likely stay until he hits 1,000 wins
    4) I truly believe he is just now gearing up for another run like in the late 80's and early 90's. The recruiting is in place IMO, and it will only get better given recent events.

    If I had to guess, I would say he stays for 6 or 7 more years

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    1) He will stay until he breaks the wins record
    2) He will stay until he wins another Gold Medal (2012)
    3) He will very likely stay until he hits 1,000 wins
    4) I truly believe he is just now gearing up for another run like in the late 80's and early 90's. The recruiting is in place IMO, and it will only get better given recent events.

    If I had to guess, I would say he stays for 6 or 7 more years
    Truth in this...as long as his health allows it to happen.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC - Since 1985
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    I will say this, I don't want to imagine Duke Basketball without Coach. I'm younger, so it's all I've ever known. He is such an exceptional human being. He's almost not real. When you see him pass by in person or talk with him, he has an aura that not many people have. He's a special, special person. We are so fortunate. Losing him, that will be like a death.

    But the time will come. If it's given to Chris or Steve, however, the transition will be much easier for me. These guys and their fire are so much like Coach, that I think it'd be like having him still here.

    Let's not worry about this, though. Not yet. We are the 2010 National Champion. This moment is too good to look past. We have the greatest man who ever coached this game here still, and, for now, that's good enough for me.
    I too have pretty much only known Coach K as the Duke coach... I started following Duke when Tinkerbell came to Duke from my hometown area of Philly in 78 (when I was 17) and although I followed him, I really did not think the coach mattered, it was about the players, right?... boy was I wrong.

    When Coach K took over in 1980 and I subsequently moved to the Triangle in 1985 it all changed. I'd see him in Durham, at church, at games... my kids attended Duke Basketball Ball camps, I saw him at Fuqua... he became larger than life...

    I realized how much a COACH and LEADER really matters. The players (great ones and role players) have come and gone and the constant has been the best coach in college basketball. He will be missed as he IS Duke Basketball for me.

  13. #13
    as long as his health is good, coach k will continue to coach.......even after he retires, he will still be involved in some way.......he isn't going anywhere anytime soon.......find something else to worry about........

  14. #14

    Not on Purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    1) He will stay until he breaks the wins record
    2) He will stay until he wins another Gold Medal (2012)
    3) He will very likely stay until he hits 1,000 wins
    4) I truly believe he is just now gearing up for another run like in the late 80's and early 90's. The recruiting is in place IMO, and it will only get better given recent events.

    If I had to guess, I would say he stays for 6 or 7 more years
    1) I don't think he cares about the record.
    2) I don't think the medal timing has anything to do with it.
    3) I doubt if he counts them.
    4) You may be right about this. I hope so.

    I think he will stay as long as his health permits, as long as he finds it challenging and fulfilling, and as long as he thinks he can do the job at the level he expects of himself.

    He is not leaving for another coaching opportunity, IMHO. Not sure if he would leave for a non-coaching job, head of the USOC, of the NCAA, or whatever. He is not going to hang around to break records.

    SoCal

  15. #15
    Y'all must be children. 63 isn't old anymore.
    Plenty of folks (not me) voted for John McCain who is in his 70's to lead the free world.
    Plenty of folks (me) supported Hillary Clinton who is in her 60's.
    Those jobs are pretty stressful too.
    No, it isn't "young" - but it isn't "old" unless you let it be.
    This is a specious discussion held by 30-40 year olds who won't
    know the truth for two decades

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by ReformedAggie View Post
    Y'all must be children. 63 isn't old anymore.
    Plenty of folks (not me) voted for John McCain who is in his 70's to lead the free world.
    Plenty of folks (me) supported Hillary Clinton who is in her 60's.
    Those jobs are pretty stressful too.
    No, it isn't "young" - but it isn't "old" unless you let it be.
    This is a specious discussion held by 30-40 year olds who won't
    know the truth for two decades
    Well said and absolutely true. K has said that he will coach until he no longer has the passion to coach. That could be 1 year or 10 years. He will determine when it is time to hang them up.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by billyj View Post
    He is 63 years old. Listening to him speak today makes me suddenly realize his age and wonder how many good years will we still have him.
    Methinks you're taking the fact that Coach K was very hoarse after the championship game and during the celebration in Cameron out of context.

    As far back as I can remember, he's always been hoarse when the team makes a deep tourney run. Heck, I remember the crowd in Knoxville having to go nearly dead silent following the Regional Final win over Purdue, to be able to hear Coach K -- and he sounded even worse in the post-semifinal-game media availability in the 1994 FinalFour.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'm not going to guess at a set number of years, but I don't see him going anywhere anytime soon. He seems very youthful to me in his attitude and drive, he comes across as having a genuinely good time doing what he's doing. He also doesn't strike me as someone who will take to retirement very well, so that's a plus as well. I'm sure he will go out as the game's winningest coach, and probably with another title or two under his belt. My guess is once he does retire from Duke, he'll stay active in some capacity with the US team and it's development.
    Mmmm, BBQ!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Well said and absolutely true. K has said that he will coach until he no longer has the passion to coach. That could be 1 year or 10 years. He will determine when it is time to hang them up.
    And with that premise I think this year and the success of this team may have reinvigorated his passion for the college game.

    I believe Dean Smith left because he lost the passion for the game and my feeling is that had to do with the view of the players that college was just a stepping stone to the pros.

    We may have to thank Jon, Lance, Brian and the rest of the team for more than just a national championship. They may have shown Coach K that there are still players who dream about improving their games and winning NCAA championships. Getting to the NBA is still a dream but it is not the primary dream.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by billyj View Post
    .

    He is 63 years old. Listening to him speak today makes me suddenly realize his age and wonder how many good years will we still have him.

    Maybe I am thinking way too ahead. I probably should just enjoy this moment, like Kyle Singler said.
    Have you not heard that 63 is the new 53 or younger. Coach looks pretty fit to me. I think Coach K has 8-10 years left if his health holds up. Only God knows how that plays out. In those 8-10 years, he could win between 2-5 more NCAA championships. Let's hope that USA basketball is successful and he's able to take advantage of that success in recruiting. Coach K in my mind will go down as the very best college basketball coach of all time. Along with being an incredible human being. Go Duke!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-19-2009, 08:59 AM
  2. Coach K And USA Basketball
    By Latta6970 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 07-30-2008, 06:46 PM
  3. How do I get Coach K's Basketball and Beyond
    By SoCalDukeFan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-11-2008, 01:06 PM
  4. Duke Basketball Report With Coach K
    By 91_92_01_10 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-20-2008, 07:47 AM
  5. Coach K's Basketball and Beyond
    By Billy Dat in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-13-2007, 06:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •