Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Prez Obama's brackets.

The real shame about a lot of these comments is that they were made not only by the media, but by many members of this board. The amount of angst after each loss (or even after some unspectacular wins) was alarming. This year in particular should prove to all of us that we need to enjoy the ride for the entire season instead of going into a panic after each game during the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve68 View Post
    The real shame about a lot of these comments is that they were made not only by the media, but by many members of this board. The amount of angst after each loss (or even after some unspectacular wins) was alarming. This year in particular should prove to all of us that we need to enjoy the ride for the entire season instead of going into a panic after each game during the season.
    Amen!

I disagree. This board is a forum for discussion on the ups, downs, ins, and outs of Duke basketball. In nearly every instance, each poster's gripe or critique has a reasonable argument founded in at least a semblance of fact. It's our job as fans to "panic" when something doesn't look right and, in turn, blog about it. Fortunately for us, DBR provides a platform for polite, reasonable discussion. Personally I'm thankful for the diversity of viewpoints and insights - whether positive or negative - that are found day in and day out on this board.

Personally, I love watching people freaking out after every loss as if no championship team ever got edged out in a game or as if every championship team is perfect at the start of the season and never improves or learns as the year goes along.

Also, some people post some really insightful stuff after losses... occasionally. Seriously, I swear. It happens. At least, I'm pretty sure I saw it one time, although it was a foggy day and I don't think I was wearing my reading glasses and it was before I got the crack on my computer screen fixed. But I know I saw it.

The '91 team lost seven games, and several of them were ugly. I think that team didn't have an impressive nonconference road win, either. So this year made me wonder what it would have been like had DBR existed in 1991.

I'll admit to increasing weariness over repeated losses in the Sweet 16 to lower-seeded teams. Although they were probably a result of earlier teams' weaknesses simply getting exposed at the same point in the postseason, I was certainly worried they were a symptom of some general failure of Duke basketball or Coach K. Anyway, I was much more worried about Purdue than about WVU, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Baylor has no chance against Duke
    I think you meant Butler in your last line.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    1. If the Big 3 of Scheyer, Singler, and Smith play 35-38 minutes a game, we'll run out of gas late in the season

2. Lance Thomas and Brian Zoubek will never be meaningful contributors

3. Coach K's responsibilities with the USA Olympic team are detracting from his performance as Duke coach

Others?
    This is a great thread. And it wasn't just the outside world that was spouting this nonsense. How many posters here were moaning about minutes and bench development? How many were shouting that the MPs should be starting and Lance and Z sitting? How many times did we have to read Duke fans saying this team had a Sweet 16 "ceiling"?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    I disagree. This board is a forum for discussion on the ups, downs, ins, and outs of Duke basketball. In nearly every instance, each poster's gripe or critique has a reasonable argument founded in at least a semblance of fact. It's our job as fans to "panic" when something doesn't look right and, in turn, blog about it. Fortunately for us, DBR provides a platform for polite, reasonable discussion. Personally I'm thankful for the diversity of viewpoints and insights - whether positive or negative - that are found day in and day out on this board.
    Discussion is one thing - panic is another. Making statements in December about how we won't be able to make a deep run in March because of the results of a game or two is not critique founded on reasonable argument. Of course people have the right to say pretty much whatever they want to say on this board. My only point was that obsessing with weaknesses and/or mistakes early in the season takes away from the enjoyment of the overall season. Discussion is great - I love it. Panic and angst - not so much.