Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lost: Happily Ever After

Thoughts, comments on this week's episode go here.

I am sure we will get a lot of answers tonight...

-Jason "NOT!!!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

So Jin and Sun are FINIALLY meeting back up. I'm not a emotional person but I can tell this is going to be good tv

This episode was by far my favorite yet. Just a great all around episode that starting answering questions about the alternate lives of everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Thoughts, comments on this week's episode go here.

I am sure we will get a lot of answers tonight...

-Jason "NOT!!!" Evans
    Charles and Eloise = Adam and Eve.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    This episode was by far my favorite yet. Just a great all around episode that starting answering questions about the alternate lives of everyone.
    The scene with Desmond and Charlie at the bar is one of my all time favorites. What great interplay between those two actors.

I liked the episode. Answers? I don't think so, just interesting clues.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I thought Daniel's lines were a bit cheesy but the rest of the episode was fabulous. I love that Elloise Hawking/Whidmore once again knows what is going on and is working to keep timelines moving in the direction she wants. Apparently, Daniel is trying to do a "course correction" that will lead to his death - and that may be why Elloise is trying to keep the timeline on its current course.

They threw out the notion that the new timeline includes the one thing all our characters want most out of life. I find that interesting and it might be true.

Hurley wants to be lucky; Sayid wants Nadia to be alive and wants to be a part of her life; maybe Jack wants a son; Desmond wants the approval of Charles Whidmore (I would think he would want Penny, but it would appear he is getting her too); if Charlie wanted fame it seems he has gotten that because Driveshaft is a much bigger and more important band; Locke wants a good relationship with Helen. I am not sure what Claire and Kate and a few other folks have gotten out of their new lives. What did Sun and Jin get -- a better relationship with each other? Still, it is an intriguing notion and I buy it.

Maybe the alt reality just wants to make sure Desmond is happy, not everyone else, because he is the one who can destroy that reality. I dunno.

It is clear to me that we are getting close to figuring out what the alt reality is about and resolving whatever is going on there. Desmond knows what is going on and is on board with whatever Whidmore needs him to do. Is he going to try to kill Flocke with an EM pulse? Seems like a strange idea but I guess it works as much as any other.

-Jason "who knew that an episode that spent all its time in the alt world could be so good? Desmond-centric episodes always rock!!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

This episode had a very, "The Matrix" feel to it. Characters knowing something just seemed a tad off with their lives and somehow sensing they knew other characters from somewhere else.

I loved the "not Penny's boat" moment. Good episode. Des looks like he's put on some weight - all that good living working for Whidmore. I hope Des does not have to sacrifice his life to fix things - poor guy has been put through the ringer enough already.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    I loved the "not Penny's boat" moment. Good episode. Des looks like he's put on some weight - all that good living working for Whidmore. I hope Des does not have to sacrifice his life to fix things - poor guy has been put through the ringer enough already.
    He's had 3 wonderful years with Penny and baby Charlie, but he suffered so much to get to those years. I hated when Whidmore said he would have to sacrifice something. I am sure Des is going to be one of our heroes who does not survive all this. Sad.

Then again, I expect many of the characters we have grown to love will not make it to the end of the series alive. A "war" is coming and there will be casualties. I'll be stunned if more than 3 or 4 of the main characters are left standing at the end. In fact, the only one that I feel confident will make it is Hurley. Dunno why, it may just be a feeling, but I think Hurley will survive. Everyone else is up in the air.

If I had to bet, I would peg the following folks as the most likely to die-- Richard, Sayid, Sawyer, Kate, Ben, Claire, and Whidmore.

Jack will make it to the final episode and will either survive or sacrifice himself to stop Flocke. Sun and Jin have me torn -- I would expect them to die except for the fact that they have a baby waiting for them.

--Jason "all of this is just blind speculation" Evans

Does anyone else get the feeling that Desmond from the island switched places with Desmond from alt timeline? Maybe this is obvious, and I'm making too much of it.

On island Desmond is more amicable to Whidmore, while in the alt timeline he's suddenly more ready to be proactive with his knowledge.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    I love that Elloise Hawking/Whidmore once again knows what is going on and is working to keep timelines moving in the direction she wants. Apparently, Daniel is trying to do a "course correction" that will lead to his death - and that may be why Elloise is trying to keep the timeline on its current course.
    I think Eloise is either Flocke here or under Flocke's control in some sense. I know this idea is a complete flail, but here goes.

She had a Flocke-ian level of knowledge. She seemed very specific and knowledgeable. Did you notice that they used tricks and makeup to give Eloise's features a disturbing and evil cast-- similar to the evil look Flocke had in the Temple? (Not the whole time, just when she was saying some of the more critical "do not interfere" kind of stuff.) Also, they established that she was a woman that even Widmore didn't want to tangle with, but she started off competely reasonable with Desmond and tried to quickly send him on his way, i.e., she was acting out of character for THIS timeline's Eloise and was clearly trying to get him out of there before he clued in.

Also, the Eloise Hawking from the main timeline described a Flockian future as absolutely to be avoided and "God help us all" if they didn't avoid it. This Eloise is strangely passionate about maintaining this particlular status quo even though she already knows a lot about it.

Again, I know this is a real flail, but I think there's something there.

They threw out the notion that the new timeline includes the one thing all our characters want most out of life. I find that interesting and it might be true.
    I missed this somehow. When did they establish this? Was it during the Daniel stuff?

It is clear to me that we are getting close to figuring out what the alt reality is about and resolving whatever is going on there. Desmond knows what is going on and is on board with whatever Whidmore needs him to do. Is he going to try to kill Flocke with an EM pulse? Seems like a strange idea but I guess it works as much as any other.
    Intriguing idea about the EM pulse. I somehow doubt Smokey can be killed at all, but I am intrigued by using technology to injure him-- something the pylons imply can be done.

I loved the whole Charlie getting a glimpse thing, and the fact that several characters are getting clued in to this reality being "wrong." The "not Penny's boat" scene was awesome, and Charlie looked really creepy in the car.

I just thought this episode was a blast.

I had not seen these before but ABC does a weekly recap of each episode with puppets called Lost Untangled.

Here is this week's version Happily Ever After.

--Jason "kinda funny, but nothing we don't already know" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post

I missed this somehow. When did they establish this? Was it during the Daniel stuff?
    Elloise Hawking/Whidmore says it directly to Desmond. I believe her exact quote was -- "Whatever you think you are looking for, you need to stop looking for it. You have attained what you most wanted, my husband's approval".

I am betting that Flocke promisses to give everyone a life that contains the one thing they want the most -- Jack, you get a son (but you are estranged from him and his mother); Sayid, Nadia is still alive (but you cannot have her and she is married to your brother); Sun and Jin, you are in love and in Los Angeles together (but Sun is dying of a gunshot wound and they are not married because Mr. Paik will not alloow it); Hurley, you are lucky (but... uhhh... Hurley's life seems fine but I bet we see some downside to it next week in the Everybody Loves Huge episode); Sawyer, you earn an honest living (but you are still tortured by the real Sawyer and obsessed with him).

-Jason "Hawking knows she is in an alt-universe, that much is clear" Evans

Hurley, you are lucky (but... uhhh... Hurley's life seems fine but I bet we see some downside to it next week in the Everybody Loves Huge episode)
    Unintentional, I hope. Otherwise, not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    Unintentional, I hope. Otherwise, not funny.
    Total mistake.

-JE

You know, one of the things that has been confusing me about the alt-reality is the notion that some of our heroes lives are better but some are not. I keep on trying to operate under the assumption that the alt-reality is a place where Flocke has given them what appear to better lives.

But Kate kept on getting in the way. She is on the run and her life does not seem very good at all in the alt-timeline. It just did not work.

And then something else came to me like a thunderbolt, Kate is worse off in the alt-reality because she is not on Flocke's side. Jin and Sun are not on his side either as their lives are pretty clearly worse off in the alt-world.

What do folks think about this theory? Now that I have written it, I am not so keen on it.

-Jason

I keep coming back to something the creators said at the beginning of the season... that the Kate-Sawyer-Jack thing was going to be critical. I can't help but think that Kate somehow is some sort of in-betweener who will end up being critical to who "wins."

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    You know, one of the things that has been confusing me about the alt-reality is the notion that some of our heroes lives are better but some are not. I keep on trying to operate under the assumption that the alt-reality is a place where Flocke has given them what appear to better lives.

But Kate kept on getting in the way. She is on the run and her life does not seem very good at all in the alt-timeline. It just did not work.

And then something else came to me like a thunderbolt, Kate is worse off in the alt-reality because she is not on Flocke's side. Jin and Sun are not on his side either as their lives are pretty clearly worse off in the alt-world.

What do folks think about this theory? Now that I have written it, I am not so keen on it.

-Jason
    I keep stumbling on the idea about whose life is improved and whose isn't as well. Your theory is an interesting idea and it might pan out depending on how the "war" goes, but it's hard to apply it right now because we don't know enough.

We don't really know who's actually ON Team Flocke, or who might eventually BE on Team Flocke, or who Flocke THINKS is actually on his team, or who Flocke is just stringing along.

And the two people whose lives are most clearly improved in LA-X, Jack and Hurley, are the ones most clearly NOT on Team Flocke.

We just don't know enough.

I'm thinking of Flocke as a genie, in that he gives you what you want, but screws you another way, even in a way you don't realize. It's not that he wants to create our mental image of hell on earth, but rather wants to be in control of everything, and likely is. His evil nature taints people's lives in ways he can enjoy because he knows what he's denying them even when they don't.

Or maybe I just have no idea. Given how things have been going through the show...this is by far the more likely option.
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00