Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

The official piling on Roy Williams thread

Discussion of Ole' Roy has been bleeding in and out of all the Carolina threads, so I thought we might confine the discussion to one thread with the appropriate title.

Now, in the spirit of the rivalry, I would like to point everybody's attention to this quote. I just have no words to describe it. All I can say is that I am disgusted:

"Our massage therapist told me, 'You know, coach, what happened in Haiti is a catastrophe. What you're having is a disappointment,' " said Williams. "I told her that depends on what chair you're sitting in. It does feel like a catastrophe to me, because it is my life."
    Link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ina/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Now, in the spirit of the rivalry, I would like to point everybody's attention to this quote. I just have no words to describe it. All I can say is that I am disgusted:
    If Mike Krzyzewski said this, the press would make sure it was inscribed on his tombstone. But Roy said it, so it will be forgotten by Friday.

WhatADouche.

Here's video of the egotistical head coach.

http://ow.ly/15WuF

This is the same man who took off his sneakers during the Coaches vs. Cancer game because that "wasn't working."

It's all about :roy...

MODS

This is kind of freaky! I just posted on the Overreaction thread I started and I had not seen this story. WOW! It is more appropriate on this thread now, Moderators, can you please move? Thanks.
    Last edited by oldnavy; 02-10-2010 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BEAT THE pUNCs View Post
    WhatADouche.

Here's video of the egotistical head coach.

http://ow.ly/15WuF

This is the same man who took off his sneakers during the Coaches vs. Cancer game because that "wasn't working."

It's all about :roy...
    Yeah I noticed that he wasn't wearing the white shoes during the coaches vs. cancer game, but his assistant coaches were. What is the story behind this??

Quote Originally Posted by Battierfan01 View Post
    Yeah I noticed that he wasn't wearing the white shoes during the coaches vs. cancer game, but his assistant coaches were. What is the story behind this??
    THis guy has to be the biggest TOOL ever! Unbelievable! The comment I made about following him into battle, well I have a feeling he wouldn't be out in front for very long! There is a battlefield solution for this kind of "leadership".

Apparently, Roy couldn't give a s*** about Haiti either.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Quote Originally Posted by Battierfan01 View Post
    Here's the story:

http://www.scout.com/2/942795.html

How desperate was North Carolina’s coaching staff at halftime Sunday night? Roy Williams changed from wearing sneakers, which were part of a promotional deal for Coaches Against Cancer, and put on his usual dress shoes. It didn’t work.

I must admit, it would have been fascinating to see the expression on Dean Smith's face when he was reading that quote. Roy is UNC's coach, so it's for them to decide whether they are proud of the way he is representing their school and program during this "test of character-time of troubles." But I'm not sure I've ever heard a college head coach descend to this level of public self-pity. Whether Roy is deliberately projecting this attitude in public based on the notion that it might motivate his players, or is simply so obtuse and self-centered that he is oblivious to the fact that these statements could be perceived as a thinly disguised attempt to blame his players for making a "catastrophe" of his life, it certainly is a bizarre statement.

From the other thread posted before this one started

My reason for starting this thread was to discuss what I believe to be Roy's overreaction to what was a really bad season and is fast becoming a dismal season.
    Roy acts as if he is about to disembowel himself after each loss. I think that if he truly feels the way he projects himself to feel, then he has major issues. Sure he is driven and this is his profession, but come on! He has won 2 NC in 5 years, is a HOF coach and has a very good recruiting class coming in next year to balance with what he has returning. To hear him, you would think that life is all but over. What about a little perspective Roy?
    He has not impressed me with how he has handled losing. I would find it very hard to follow this man into battle.

The "aw, shucks" "dadgummit" Good old boy, Ole Roy mask is being peeled away.

What it reveals is not pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    My reason for starting this thread was to discuss what I believe to be Roy's overreaction to what was a really bad season and is fast becoming a dismal season.
    Roy acts as if he is about to disembowel himself after each loss. I think that if he truly feels the way he projects himself to feel, then he has major issues. Sure he is driven and this is his profession, but come on! He has won 2 NC in 5 years, is a HOF coach and has a very good recruiting class coming in next year to balance with what he has returning. To hear him, you would think that life is all but over. What about a little perspective Roy?
    He has not impressed me with how he has handled losing. I would find it very hard to follow this man into battle.

Aw, come on everybody. Ol' Roy's just a competitor! If he didn't work so hard, if he didn't want to win so badly, this season wouldn't be bothering him at all. Roy's reaction to losing is a good sign!

My favorite part of the Heels' collapse has been watching the mental gymnastics performed by their fans to rationalize Roy's infantile behavior.

If Roy were coaching a mid-major or a program that fetches only the occasional top recruit, doesn't one get the impression he would have fallen off the deep end a long, long, long time ago. If he has endured such rough times growing up, why is he cracking up so bizarrely about this?

"Our massage therapist told me, 'You know, coach, what happened in Haiti is a catastrophe. What you're having is a disappointment,' " said Williams. "I told her that depends on what chair you're sitting in. It does feel like a catastrophe to me, because it is my life.":

Roy really needs to work on his internal censor.

Quote Originally Posted by 91_92_01 View Post
    Roy really needs to work on his internal censor.
    no kidding...the fact that he is telling his massage therapist how terrible things are in relation to Haiti is bad enough.

The fact that he thought it was worth repeating to someone making an article may be one of the stupidest decisions i can imagine. A quote like that has a chance to have a life of its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1515 View Post
    no kidding...the fact that he is telling his massage therapist how terrible things are in relation to Haiti is bad enough.

The fact that he thought it was worth repeating to someone making an article may be one of the stupidest decisions i can imagine. A quote like that has a chance to have a life of its own.
    The fact that he has a massage therapist is disturbing enough on it's own. I thought he was a "mountain man"... mountain men don't need massage therapists!

But you are right, the man has some serious "filter" issues... TMI Roy, TMI!!!

Discussion of Ole' Roy has been bleeding in and out of all the Carolina threads, so I thought we might confine the discussion to one thread with the appropriate title.

Wow.

Just... wow.

As someone who has had friends fly to Haiti to volunteer, and who JUST THIS MORNING started posting Facebook pictures of what they saw there, this BLOWS ME AWAY. Just blows... me... away.

Roy Williams is a Class A Self Centered As_hole.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    The fact that he has a massage therapist is disturbing enough on it's own. I thought he was a "mountain man"... mountain men don't need massage therapists!

But you are right, the man has some serious "filter" issues... TMI Roy, TMI!!!
    It was actually his manicurist, but he changed it to massage therapist to sound more manly.

I can easily picture ol' roy in the beauty salon unloading his emotions about how darn hard he is trying and how darn difficult his players are being and how darn unfair it all is, while sniffing back his tears.

Quote Originally Posted by BEAT THE pUNCs View Post
    How desperate was North Carolina’s coaching staff at halftime Sunday night? Roy Williams changed from wearing sneakers, which were part of a promotional deal for Coaches Against Cancer, and put on his usual dress shoes. It didn’t work.
    I had to read this twice, and I still can't believe it.

How were the shoes going to make a difference? Superstition? If anything, he should be more able to coach in athletic shoes.

Maybe ol' roy wanted to make more noise when he stomped his feet in his tantrums. That would scare the refs and get calls in his favor.

Instead of honoring a commitment to a worthwhile charity, he changes his shoes?

Imagine if one of roy's players tried to change his shoes from the air jordans - maybe because he wanted a shoe that didn't endanger his health or career - do you think ol' roy would understand?

I hope someone has the good sense to bring a sign to the game that says "I'd rather be in Haiti than play for Roy." (Or something along those lines.)