Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    The rebounding was huge for Duke this year. Obviously, the ability of next year's bigs to fill that gap will be a key story throughout the season.

One thing that I suddenly realized (and I feel stupid for taking so long to come to this realization) that we are really going to miss Lance's defense next year... even moreso if Kyle leaves. Duke will not have that kind of tall, versatile defender who can guard a variety of scoring threats... well, at least not one that is proven. It will be interesting to see how K compensates for this particular loss.
    Yea I agree, hopefully, Felix can step into that role, or at least our Dre all day.

Wallish

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/07/sp...ll/07duke.html

Garfinkel says Kyrie may have a John Wall type impact. You don't have to think too hard to remember freshman point guards who have dramatically elevated their teams. John Wall, Derrick Rose, even Kenny Anderson and Isiah Thomas years ago had big impacts right away.

Duke could be very, very good if this kid is awesome baby

Also says he a two-and done kid, So i'm thinking three-peat. AHAHAH Too far ahead, but i'm just still pumped about last night

Next year will be interesting. For Duke, a lot will depend on how the new guards play defense. That is an unknown. They can all score and perhaps dominate on that end of the floor- but how will they play on the other end and how will playing all out on D affect their O. Big questions. If Singler comes back- that is a good core. If not, a bunch of guys will need to elevate their games- particularly Kelly. Kelly needs to have a great summer and get stronger. The Plumlees need to learn control and discipline- but they both got a lot of experience this year and will be better. Dawkins needs to work on his ball handling- night and day. Duke will again have the big bullseye on their back next year and love every minute of it.

I know I'm sipping championship campaign and drinking the kool-aid, but...

If Kyle stays, this could be the best Duke team since 2001.

Kyle and Smith give us two proven scorers, already two of the best players in the ACC.

Dawkins has an amazing shot and, I think, spent all year seeing exactly what he could become at Duke with hard work. Curry is reported to have a great range and be a potent scorer and could supplement time at the point. Add in Irving as our point, also with scoring ability, to those two plus Nolan, and we've got an absolutely loaded backcourt.

I think we'll see some development of both Plumlees and Kelly over the summer. Even if Felix is raw, between Mason, Miles, Kelly, Singler, and Hairston, we'll have ability on our frontline and tremendous versatility.

As always in the offseason, there are a ton of questions. And Jumbo's item 1 on his phase posts will probably remain item 1. But, suffice it to say, as much as we'll miss this amazing senior class, we're definitely going to be looking promising next season.

Assuming Kyle comes back, I think we're preseason #1.

Maryland, Tech, Wake etc

I was surprised to see predictions that the ACC will be so down except Carolina and Duke. Do posters agree there will be no other good teams?

Quote Originally Posted by tecumseh View Post
    I was surprised to see predictions that the ACC will be so down except Carolina and Duke. Do posters agree there will be no other good teams?
    Ugh somewhat, Yeah, a lot of those teams lost a lot of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by tecumseh View Post
    Well, let's take a look. The top 7 ACC teams were:

1. Duke - We'll be OK.
    2. Maryland - Loses it's heart and soul (Vasquez), plus Hayes and Milbourne.
    3. Virginia Tech - Possibly loses Delaney. If not, they'll be decent.
    4. Florida State - Loses Reid, should be near the top of the ACC if they keep Alabi.
    5. Clemson - Loses T. Booker and more importantly, Purnell. Ouch.
    6. Wake Forest - Loses Aminu, Ish Smith, McFarland, and L.D. Williams.
    7. Georgia Tech - Loses Lawal, Peacock, and almost certainly Favors.

I'm not sure many of these teams have the firepower waiting in the wings to replace what they've lost.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    Well, let's take a look. The top 7 ACC teams were:

1. Duke - We'll be OK.
    2. Maryland - Loses it's heart and soul (Vasquez), plus Hayes and Milbourne.
    3. Virginia Tech - Possibly loses Delaney. If not, they'll be decent.
    4. Florida State - Loses Reid, should be near the top of the ACC if they keep Alabi.
    5. Clemson - Loses T. Booker and more importantly, Purnell. Ouch.
    6. Wake Forest - Loses Aminu, Ish Smith, McFarland, and L.D. Williams.
    7. Georgia Tech - Loses Lawal, Peacock, and almost certainly Favors.

I'm not sure many of these teams have the firepower waiting in the wings to replace what they've lost.
    Hey where are the Heels? Oh wait you said top 7 acc teams, got it.

Could it be back to back?? Dickie V says!!

Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    I think UNC is top 10 at some point next year. They have alot of talent and should have better outside shooting next year which was a big weakness this past year (what an incredible run to the NIT title game). But they have to figure some things out and chemistry could still be an issue with some of the characters they have coming in. One of their problems this past year was effort. How do you get better at that? I just hope no one transfers. Keep the headcases. No addition by subtraction please.

Of couse I said the same thing about them last year and was totaly wrong. I never in a million years saw them sucking like they did this year. They were my favorite comedy on the tube this year. Watching Roy on the sidelines was like watching a one man comedy troupe.
    Hey, UNC was top 10 at some point this year: November. I think that's the way I like it.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=505...goryid=2459792

dickie v has us at #1... thats with singler tho...

Not to be Debbie Downer, but

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    If Kyle stays, this could be the best Duke team since 2001.

Kyle and Smith give us two proven scorers, already two of the best players in the ACC.

Dawkins has an amazing shot and, I think, spent all year seeing exactly what he could become at Duke with hard work. Curry is reported to have a great range and be a potent scorer and could supplement time at the point. Add in Irving as our point, also with scoring ability, to those two plus Nolan, and we've got an absolutely loaded backcourt.

I think we'll see some development of both Plumlees and Kelly over the summer. Even if Felix is raw, between Mason, Miles, Kelly, Singler, and Hairston, we'll have ability on our frontline and tremendous versatility.

As always in the offseason, there are a ton of questions. And Jumbo's item 1 on his phase posts will probably remain item 1. But, suffice it to say, as much as we'll miss this amazing senior class, we're definitely going to be looking promising next season.

Assuming Kyle comes back, I think we're preseason #1.
    I'm assuming Kyle won't come back, not because I know more than anyone else here, but over the years I've learned that stuff happens. Just think of last year. If he stays, that's wonderful, but it will be a bonus.

Also, as others have pointed out, we're losing 3 or 4 starters. That's huge (esp. if one is Zoubs ).

I'm optimistic, so I think Nolan will be a great leader, and I expect Curry to work like mad. I also think that MP1, MP2, Dawkins, and Kelly will be inspired by this season to work like crazy in the off season to improve. I think Dawkins in particular will make a major leap.

But stuff happens, especially in this era of one and done, so I'm not counting on anything next year. We'll be talented, but young, and we have the best coach in America. I'm good with that.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Exclamation VT and FSU

Don't sleep on VT and FSU. Those teams retun alot. VT returns something like 3 of the top 7 returning scorers in the ACC (if Kyle goes pro and Delayney stays) IIRC. VT and FSU will have better team chemistry and consistency than Duke and UNC will have at the beginnning of the year. The rest of the ACC is U-G-L-Y you ain't got no alibi ugly.

My theory on next year....

First let me start by saying I like everything to be symetrical...

Duke's first championship was in 1991 and won back to back in 1992. It took 9 years to get the third championship in 2001. Then in 9 more years we won the fourth championship in 2010. So my theory is we go back to back with a championship next year to make it perfectly symetrical!

Crazy I know...but thats just how my brain works.