Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Robert Montgomery Knight

Wow, he had a few sharp words for the NCAA last night didnt he? Can't say I disagree with anything he said though.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    Wow, he had a few sharp words for the NCAA last night didnt he? Can't say I disagree with anything he said though.
    link?

I agree with his sentiment but it came off looking like it was motivated by the personal animosity between him and Myles Brand. He probably should've just made the point and moved on rather than harping on it.

Nope! I think they don't talk enough about the one-and-dones. It will ruin the college game.

The bad - a lot of big storied programs will struggle with this. Not sure how many years the Kentucky fans will put up with a great season only to end before Monday night.

The good - programs like Butler might make back to back appearances in the final four. But then again, a lot of pro scouts have Hayward going in the mid first round. If he goes Butler will be lucky to make the sweet sixteen next year.

I just hope they all go to Kentucky.

He was great

The General was incredibly complimentary of K and the program he has developed and sustained at Duke. I agree with Knight's take on the one and done. Think how much more we enjoyed this team, watching the seniors develop over 4 years and achieve their dream.

I also think that CBS should replace Kellogg with Knight.

Coach Knight didn't mention John Calipari by name, but he might as well have done so. Talked about how certain schools were just going out to "hire" kids to come in for one year.

Very, very complimentary of Coach K and Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    link?
    it was last night on ESPN after the game. They had him call in for an interview, and he was saying how he hated that some teams hire kids for a season, and teams like Duke and Butler do it right.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

For all the ridicule Digger Phelps draws, he made a similar point last night in the discussion of the game.

He started out saying that this game showed two trends. I don't remember that he ever got to the second trend, but the first trend was that teams populated buy "one and dones" don't win national championships. Teams comprised of student athletes who stay for a college career of four years are the one most likely to win national championships. He offered Duke and Butler a examples of such higher quality teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    I don't remember that he ever got to the second trend, but the first trend was that teams populated buy "one and dones" don't win national championships.
    freudian slip?

Doesn't appear to be a direct link. Go here:

http://http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/

CLICK on the Video tab ... Scroll to the right until you get to the RMK clip.

yup

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=505...goryid=2459792

The above link did not work for me. This is the direct link.

Thumbs up Knight : telling it like it is

Quote Originally Posted by bluepenguin View Post
    The General was incredibly complimentary of K and the program he has developed and sustained at Duke. I agree with Knight's take on the one and done. Think how much more we enjoyed this team, watching the seniors develop over 4 years and achieve their dream.

I also think that CBS should replace Kellogg with Knight.
    Coach Knight:" Duke is a beacon of integrity..."
    Jay's pal Hubert Davis was speechless. Heh,heh.
    Knight also appropriately praised former NCAA head Byers.

Best regards. Blueprofessor

Coach Knight’s intelligence and basketball acumen are undoubtedly outstanding – I admire him greatly – but some individuals clearly believe he is too tactless and apolitical. I disagree; however, I reminded of the famous Harry Truman quote during (or immediately after) his successful campaign against Thomas Dewey. Reporters asked President Truman about his “Give ‘em hell, Harry” persona, to which he replied, “I never gave them hell, I told the truth and they thought it was hell.”

The world – and NCAA-controlled college athletics – has many sycophants and fools who will iterate the “politically correct” doctrine, but only a few vehemently honest experts who state their learned opinions regardless of the consequences. Knight is one of those candid, direct champions of doing the right thing. Eventually, people of his character, straightforwardness, and expertise are frequently proven correct.

I do agree with Knight's point, but what is his solution? Does he want the NBA to change their age limit or does he want the NCAA to have more oversight on the Caliparis of the world and dismiss players who don't do the academic work?

Quote Originally Posted by GoingFor#4 View Post
    I do agree with Knight's point, but what is his solution? Does he want the NBA to change their age limit or does he want the NCAA to have more oversight on the Caliparis of the world and dismiss players who don't do the academic work?
    I think that his stance is the same as K's - they want to make players commit to 2-3 years rather than just one (similar to baseball) if they attend college, otherwise they can just find somewhere else to play (Europe, NBDL etc).

Quote Originally Posted by GoingFor#4 View Post
    The current rule belongs to the NBA, not the NCAA. but the NCAA does have a solution at its hands as reagrds shaping the behavior of coaches when making recruiting decisions. Make scholarships good for the full four years. So, if you offer your outstanding prospect a scholarship to begin the 2009 season, that scholarship is tied up into the 2013 season - irrespective of when the player leaves. Could you still recruit the John Walls of the wrold? sure - but you wouldn't dare fill your roster with them.

Under this scenario if Singler left this year Duke would have an empty seat on the bench (or a walk-on sitting there) next year. Kentucky would have a bunch of empty seats on their bench. You wouldn't see any team with more than one or two "one and done" types on their roster - they simply couldn't afford the risk. Will this ever happen? Of course not. Why? $$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    Coach Knight’s intelligence and basketball acumen are undoubtedly outstanding – I admire him greatly – but some individuals clearly believe he is too tactless and apolitical. I disagree; however, I reminded of the famous Harry Truman quote during (or immediately after) his successful campaign against Thomas Dewey. Reporters asked President Truman about his “Give ‘em hell, Harry” persona, to which he replied, “I never gave them hell, I told the truth and they thought it was hell.”
    Reminds me of Washington Nationals Manager Frank Robinson on the "communication issues" that he had with his team:

“I had no trouble communicating, the player's just didn't like what I had to say.”

I feel the same way about Knight. If you ask for his opinion, you will get it. You just might not like it...

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    I think that his stance is the same as K's - they want to make players commit to 2-3 years rather than just one (similar to baseball) if they attend college, otherwise they can just find somewhere else to play (Europe, NBDL etc).
    That sounds like a good solution to me. I think 3 years is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    For all the ridicule Digger Phelps draws, he made a similar point last night in the discussion of the game.

He started out saying that this game showed two trends. I don't remember that he ever got to the second trend, but the first trend was that teams populated buy "one and dones" don't win national championships. Teams comprised of student athletes who stay for a college career of four years are the one most likely to win national championships. He offered Duke and Butler a examples of such higher quality teams.
    He sure did - I about choked on my popcorn. If I recall correctly he repeatedly mentioned "kids not going to class."

Either way - last night was a game which had two schools who do things the right way.

Duke and Butler are very similar - just at different stages in their existence.

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post

The world – and NCAA-controlled college athletics – has many sycophants and fools who will iterate the “politically correct” doctrine, but only a few vehemently honest experts who state their learned opinions regardless of the consequences. Knight is one of those candid, direct champions of doing the right thing. Eventually, people of his character, straightforwardness, and expertise are frequently proven correct.
    Give me a break. How many years did it take Knight to even speak to K after 1992? Knight's comments are often as much about the grudges he holds as anything else. He is also unwilling to take responsibility for his boorish behavior. At IU (and Texas Tech), Knight was a bully who thought he was beyond the reach of the university. His behavior had nothing to do with integrity, it was arrogance. Brand put Knight in his place and Knight never forgave Brand or the NCAA (after Brand became president) for actually "doing the right thing."