Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    I think everyone has the starters and rotation pretty well pegged. The only wildcard is Kyle and what he decides.

What I have noticed is that the numbers 0, 1, and 2 have been very good to Duke in terms of the year the championship is played. Of our four NCAA Championships the number 0 has factored in four times. The number 1 has factored in five times. The number 2 has factored in three times.

Next year should be very good to us again. As well as the year after. Can anyone say "3-Peat"?

RE: losing four starters. It should be noted that Miles Plumlee started 24 games this season, Brian Zoubek started 16. Zoubs played about one minute per game more than Plumlee.

So, technically, Miles Plumlee is a returning starter.

It also should be noted that Seth Curry started one season in D-1 basketball and Carrick Felix started one season at the junior-college level. Neither Liberty nor Southern Idaho is the ACC but they aren't high school, either.

So, Duke has a bit more returning experience than many realize.

As for the baby blue down the street, I'll bet the mortgage Duke isn't in the NIT next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I think everyone has the starters and rotation pretty well pegged. The only wildcard is Kyle and what he decides.

What I have noticed is that the numbers 0, 1, and 2 have been very good to Duke in terms of the year the championship is played. Of our four NCAA Championships the number 0 has factored in four times. The number 1 has factored in five times. The number 2 has factored in three times.

Next year should be very good to us again. As well as the year after. Can anyone say "3-Peat"?
    don't forget 9 which has factored in 4 times...therefore our next national title years should be

2022...etc
    April 1

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    I had a feeling I'd hear from you after my comment. I know you've seen Josh play, but I believe most of your opinion of Josh is from his time prior to Montrose.

From what I've been told by people who have watched him this year, he is a much improved player. IMO, he will play a very big role if Kyle leaves

I also disagree with your premise of Ryan as a "perimeter guy.". Ryan was recruited to a big with perimeter skills. Josh will be given more freedom to roam outside than Ryan was or will be, especially in a more wide open 4 out, 1 in system next year but I'd hardly call him a perimeter guy.

We have all Summer to differ on this, and neither of us will be proven right or wrong until probably the end of next season.
    I Don't mean to come across heavy handed or anything. I've enjoyed following Josh's development. i was dissapointed to see him on the TV the other day playing on the perimeter. And I also noticed that he got beat a few times off the dribble on the perimeter. I hope he does well and suprises me next year with a fair amount of PT. I just hope the fans and Josh himself don't get discouraged if he struggles. It'll be a big adjustment.

I think ryan did a great job this year with his attitude. When he got yanked there was never any bad body language or anything. It was all positive.

I was really impressed with Josh's attitude in person. You could tell he enjoyed playing the game. He exuded a positive attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    RE: losing four starters. It should be noted that Miles Plumlee started 24 games this season, Brian Zoubek started 16. Zoubs played about one minute per game more than Plumlee.

So, technically, Miles Plumlee is a returning starter.

It also should be noted that Seth Curry started one season in D-1 basketball and Carrick Felix started one season at the junior-college level. Neither Liberty nor Southern Idaho is the ACC but they aren't high school, either.

So, Duke has a bit more returning experience than many realize.

As for the baby blue down the street, I'll bet the mortgage Duke isn't in the NIT next season.
    Great points Jim. Plus the reserves that saw PT saw high quality time in the NCAA tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Takin' the short odds, eh Jim?

We shouldn't be too nervous though. Last year UNC lost their top 3 scorers, but we'll still definitely have Nolan. UNC relied too much on Lawson running the run and gun style, and their defense was not near as what our defense was this past season.

When you pride yourself in defense the way K and Duke do, the loss of a scorer or two does not mean instantaneous death.

And, even my trying to be fair and unbiased, K has proved he can adjust to his personnel like no other, in particular Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    Mack and Veasley are 6'2, 6'3, Nored is 6'1...and Butler did alright. Didn't they?
    still 2 inches taller thatn 6'1, 6'1, 6'2 lol. Don't laugh, 2 inches matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Curry averaged 20 ppg as a freshman on a team that had no other scorers. I doubt he will ever average 20 ppg at Duke. It is a different system with too may high quality players.

Next year I expect we will again have three 14 - 19 scorers with additional emphasis on inside out play.
    Curry averaged 20 ppg. facing double and triple teams and junk defenses designed to stop him because he had no help. Next season he will face 1:1 coverage--he's gonna be a killer next year. Irving is the man, but Curry ain't gonna sit the bench behind anyone. Even Nolan said he's going to be one of the best in the country. Watch and see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by licc85 View Post
    man . . a starting backcourt of irving, smith and curry will be sooo undersized . . 6'1, 6'2, and 6'1 . . . we are going to miss kyle's rebounding from the SF position a LOT.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    Mack and Veasley are 6'2, 6'3, Nored is 6'1...and Butler did alright. Didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by licc85 View Post
    still 2 inches taller thatn 6'1, 6'1, 6'2 lol. Don't laugh, 2 inches matters.
    If without Singler, Duke would revert to its past successes where less emphasis was placed on rebounding and more on relentless defense of the passing lanes for easy buckets.

If that extra 3" of height makes a diference at WF, just insert 6'4" Dawkins backed up by 6' 6" Felix at WF and alternate the three 6'1" -ish Irving, Curry, Smith 25 MPG each with other 5 to Thornton.

Duke would then be 6'1" 6'2" 6'4" an inch bigger than what Butler performed very well with, and more skilled. Dawkins and Plumlees would be good targets for alley oops.

Kelly offers the same mismatch on Offense possibilities Kyle (or in Butler analogy Gordon Hayward) did his first two years and can perhaps grow into the player Kyle became by Ryan's senior year, basically on same track with one year lag.

Until they learn to foul less, I think the Plumlees are destined to share the center slot as mobile PFs rather than play aside one another enough to both start. Miles can bulk up and Mason can be the quicker defensive player who does double duty backing up Ryan Kelly at WF/PF.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    If without Singler, Duke would revert to its past successes where less emphasis was placed on rebounding and more on relentless defense of the passing lanes for easy buckets.

If that extra 3" of height makes a diference at WF, just insert 6'4" Dawkins backed up by 6' 6" Felix at WF and alternate the three 6'1" -ish Irving, Curry, Smith 25 MPG each with other 5 to Thornton.

Duke would then be 6'1" 6'2" 6'4" an inch bigger than what Butler performed very well with, and more skilled. Dawkins and Plumlees would be good targets for alley oops.

Kelly offers the same mismatch on Offense possibilities Kyle (or in Butler analogy Gordon Hayward) did his first two years and can perhaps grow into the player Kyle became by Ryan's senior year, basically on same track with one year lag.

I can see the game starting with both on the floor, and at the first timeout or TV interruption switching one to the bench and sliding the PF over, then putting him back in 4-5 minutes while the other rests, then playing them both together etc.

A big part of our season really hinges on the progression of the Plumlees. Miles took big steps this year, lets hope Mason can do the same!
    Until they learn to foul less, I think the Plumlees are destined to share the center slot as mobile PFs rather than play aside one another enough to both start. Miles can bulk up and Mason can be the quicker defensive player who does double duty backing up Ryan Kelly at WF/PF.
    Yeah, the Plumlees WILL share the center slot, because neither Hairston nor Kelly are centers or even Boozer-type forwards. But they will also be on the floor together a lot. It wont be a strict platoon.

I really like how versatile this team is going to be.

-Starting with versatile big men, we'll have MP1 and MP2. And of course Kyle if he stays. And hopefully Ryan if he improves.
    -We'll also have a true athletic point guard with more potential than any other since J Will.
    -Seth and Andre are lights out shooters that we could put in at the same time when we elect to go small.
    -And of course we'll have nolan and hopefully Kyle as the stars and potential all americans.
    -Then if we need big stops and having trouble stopping perimeter scorers, we'll have great perimeter defense with Nolan, Thorton, and Irving (who is actually a really good on-ball defender).
    -We're also going to have athletic wing defense and shot blocking at the 3 in Carrick Felix.
    -The only possible weakness could be a lack of interior D, if the Plums don't improve. Maybe Ryan and Hairston can step in and be good defenders and producers as well.

Although we're losing experience, I think we're going to be able to adjust to our opponents very well, and our versatility and ability to adjust will be our strong points.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeblue225 View Post
    -The only possible weakness could be a lack of interior D, if the Plums don't improve. Maybe Ryan and Hairston can step in and be good defenders and producers as well.
    I think you'll see us go back to our great wing denial defense. Even during the years when we've been undersized in the post and have been eaten up on the boards, we've still done a great job preventing opposing bigs from catching the ball in a comfortable position to score. We're definitely going to miss Zoubek and Thomas, but if our perimeter is active enough, we can prevent the ball from even making it in the post as we have in years past. I hope that the Plumlees dedicate themselves to rebounding so that we can continue to own the boards next season.

I think an intresting thing I have watched and really the only battle I would see going into the year is Ryan Kelly or Miles Plumlee for the 5 spot. Kelly is more of an offensive threat and is a good shot blocker, while Miles is a more physical rebounder. I think Miles has the edge but it is something to think about.

Also, watching the Pro Am I have been very impressed with Tyler Thornton's ability to run the floor and be an on the ball defender. I know coach K likes guys who are tough and can play defense. I know you have Kyrie and Curry in front of him, but what do you think of him possibly getting a little bit more time this season? I think he could be eeked up to a 10 minute guy vs. a 5 minute guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiagledknarf View Post
    I think an intresting thing I have watched and really the only battle I would see going into the year is Ryan Kelly or Miles Plumlee for the 5 spot. Kelly is more of an offensive threat and is a good shot blocker, while Miles is a more physical rebounder. I think Miles has the edge but it is something to think about.
    This is the "only battle"? Why do you think Mason's spot is safe but not Miles? Personally, I expect all three of them to get between 15 and 25 mpg.

Also, watching the Pro Am I have been very impressed with Tyler Thornton's ability to run the floor and be an on the ball defender. I know coach K likes guys who are tough and can play defense. I know you have Kyrie and Curry in front of him, but what do you think of him possibly getting a little bit more time this season? I think he could be eeked up to a 10 minute guy vs. a 5 minute guy.
    Whose minutes do you expect him to take? I don't want to revive the sleeping elephant, but unless he plays more than Andre (which I don't think has any chance of happening) the only way Tyler can get 10 mpg is if Josh hardly plays and we go with Kyle at the 4 a lot. Which personally I don't think is very likely.

Miles for the "5" !

Catchy title in this election year, huh??

I'm leaning more toward Miles as the "5" starter (that's if we are slowed down enough to have to set up in the frontcourt). It's true that he is a better rebounder, but I also think he is further along offensively than Mason at this point. He has a better shooting touch, uses the backboard better, and shows more post-up skills so far. They both have incredible hops, and can be major shot blockers this season.

I think it may become more of a Mason vs. Ryan for the "4" in early practice. Ryan looks like he is ready for a kickass year, and again, he has a better offensive skill set than Mason. Also I think Josh is going to bust his tail to get some minutes inside.

Whoever starts among the four, I like our chances with those two AND the other two coming on the floor at (likely) the first TV timeout.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDan View Post
    Catchy title in this election year, huh??

I'm leaning more toward Miles as the "5" starter (that's if we are slowed down enough to have to set up in the frontcourt). It's true that he is a better rebounder, but I also think he is further along offensively than Mason at this point. He has a better shooting touch, uses the backboard better, and shows more post-up skills so far. They both have incredible hops, and can be major shot blockers this season.

I think it may become more of a Mason vs. Ryan for the "4" in early practice. Ryan looks like he is ready for a kickass year, and again, he has a better offensive skill set than Mason. Also I think Josh is going to bust his tail to get some minutes inside.

Whoever starts among the four, I like our chances with those two AND the other two coming on the floor at (likely) the first TV timeout.
    I tend to agree. I think Miles is safe unless both Mason and Ryan really take off. He is the best returning rebounder and post defender on the team . . . two traits that will be all-important for a team that will have plenty of offensive firepower from the perimeter. He is experienced and, although he was outplayed by Zoubek during the second half of the season last year, gave us great minutes last year and looks to make another jump. I predict that Miles will be among the ACC leaders in rebound-rate and possibly rebounds if he earns enough minutes, will see a boost in his scoring average, and, although we will rarely if ever run the offense through him, will be enough of a threat from 12-15 feet that opposing bigs will not be able to leave him alone to help on Kyrie, Nolan, or Seth driving the lane without giving Miles some easy jumpers. This last part will be in addition to a few more post moves and the usual put-back dunks. Throw in a bucket or two in transition and we've got a player who can give us 8pts and 8reb or so per game . . . possibly even higher in either category if he gets the minutes.

Mason and Ryan are more dynamic offensive players and may prove to be equally effective defenders. However, I think Miles' strength, experience, mobility, and rebounding ability earn him the most minutes at the 5 and a starting spot.