Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Whatever's best for him...

Kyle's been one of the toughest, best and most admirable Duke players ever.
    If he wants to come back, fabulous. If he doesn't, I've never felt better about seeing a guy go. He deserves nothing but gratitude and admiration for what he's done at Duke, and I think he'll have a really good pro career.

No Duke player has ever "tested the waters." Duke has signficant NBA resources and Singler knows/will know exactly where he stands. If he declares for the draft, he's gone.

Interestingly, Duke has never had an early-entry following an NCAA title. Laettner in '91, Hill in '92, Williams in '01 all could have been lottery picks but all elected to come back. The exoduses of '99, '02 and '04 came after disappointing losses.

Likely doesn't mean anything relative to Singler but still interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by bluepenguin View Post

And this quote combined with Nolan's "slip" after the WVa game saying he didn't want it to be the last game for Jon, Lance and Kyle, really makes me think he is gone. I sure hope not, but I'm not expecting to see him in a Duke uniform next season.
    I caught that too. I was praying he really meant to say Zoubs. I wish him the best whatever he decides to do.

I think that Nolan has made an excellent decision by deciding to come back. If it wasn't for Zoubek's remarkable story, and sorry Butler and the talking heads, Zoubek's story is the sports story of the year, Nolan's growth as a player and leader this year would in my opinion be the story of the year for Duke basketball fans.

Nolan's offensive explosion is only a small part of the story. Nolan's ability to step up and make great offensive plays, to create offense for himself, as they say, when Duke needed it time and again, that too is only a small part of the story.

There was a steel to Nolan that emerged at crucial times that is rare. That is the biggest part of the story. I think that that quality could be his greatest asset. Another year with K, with the other leaders of this team all gone (assuming Kyle goes but even if he stays), can help Nolan grow in ways that will make him an even more exceptionable pro and will serve him the rest of his life.

Congratuations to Nolan Smith; the torch will be passed to someone who will carry it in ways that will be unique in Duke lore. Isn't it always that way?

Quote Originally Posted by wallyman View Post
    Kyle's been one of the toughest, best and most admirable Duke players ever.
    If he wants to come back, fabulous. If he doesn't, I've never felt better about seeing a guy go. He deserves nothing but gratitude and admiration for what he's done at Duke, and I think he'll have a really good pro career.
    Agree. I'm so happy for Kyle and all the players to have achieved their goal of a national championship. Kyle was the MOP of the Final Four, and deservedly so.

I'm leaning slightly to thinking he may go. He may be able to improve if he returns to Duke, but he can also develop as a player on an NBA roster, even if not a regular.

If the nba scouts leave Kyle around until the second round then they are not earning their paycheck. That kid is a winner and will succeed in the pros.

Of course, these are the same folks who thought Boozer was a second round pick.

If I were Kyle I would certainly test the waters. I think he would be crazy not to. I would also listen to K. The man knows what he is talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post
    Many players leave in 3 years and still finish their degree. I am not sure how many classes he would have left, but Im sure he could do it.
    I recall seeing somewhere that Nolan would finish up his degree work this summer (he has only one class to go, I think) and that he would take grad school classes at Fuqua next year during his "senior" season.

I suspect that Kyle is in a similar situation and that even if he turns pro it will not take much work for him to finish his degree. Almost all the basketball players get ahead in their course work over the summer.

--Jason "the dedication of these athletes is remarkable" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post
    I'm going to be a little bit confrontational. I think its 100% selfish for any true Duke fan to hope Kyle stays one more year. Kyle WANTS to go.
    Why be confrontational? Everyone on this thread has stated a variation of (i) Singler just delivered a title, (ii) if what he determines is best for him is the NBA, then godspeed and he'll have our full support, and if what he determines is best for him is to come back, then good for all of us. To note that if what's best for him happens to coincide with what's best for the Duke fan hoping for a serious run at a repeat next year would be cool, is not putting extra pressure on him to decide to come back. Everyone here has acknowledged they'll love the guy whatever he does.

Anyway, I say ditto on Nolan. I know he declared he's staying three weeks ago, but after that Baylor game I've got to think NBA front offices have taken notice. And if he changes his mind, good for him.

Even if both go pro, we can look forward to next season with great anticipation, anyway: we'll have a lightning quick, likely high impact point guard, an accomplished scorer who's been in the system for a year and will be a 20/21 year-old sophomore, a gunner with a year's experience and some personal tragedy well behind him, and Thing One and (healthy) Thing Two with additional seasoning and expanded roles. We'll likely go from a half-court team to a high scoring, running squad that can still intimidate with interior defense. Any returning starters would just be gravy, because either way we'll be basking in the glow of being DEFENDING NATIONAL CHAMPIONS all season, too. I already can't wait. It'll be a work in progress with so many new pieces in the starting lineup, but I predict great improvement and a really solid team by the end of the season.

It's all good today, people.

Singler may be the physically toughest player that ever put on a Duke uniform. He has taken more hard, and I mean brutal, shots than anyone I can recall. That he picked himself up after the final pick (illegal or not) last night was evidence enough, again, for me. That kid is an absolute stud. He is fearless, persistent, and bounces up after taking poundings that really make me shudder. He is always immediately and totally engaged in the game and what he is supposed to do.

There are always certain players (and this team has more than one) that bring a certain kind of pride and joy to being a Duke alum and/or fan. This year, more than anyone else for me, it's Singler. He really is Iron.

Huh

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman778 View Post
    But to play in NBA at the age of 44 is impressive.
    Why are you talking about Tyler Hansbrough in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by jdj4duke View Post
    Singler may be the physically toughest player that ever put on a Duke uniform. He has taken more hard, and I mean brutal, shots than anyone I can recall. That he picked himself up after the final pick (illegal or not) last night was evidence enough, again, for me. That kid is an absolute stud. He is fearless, persistent, and bounces up after taking poundings that really make me shudder. He is always immediately and totally engaged in the game and what he is supposed to do.

There are always certain players (and this team has more than one) that bring a certain kind of pride and joy to being a Duke alum and/or fan. This year, more than anyone else for me, it's Singler. He really is Iron.
    Totally agree. In some ways it would be fitting if Kyle's last moments in a Duke uniform involved him getting decked by a hard screen only to flash his patented grin as the potential game winning heave clanked off the backboard and iron, sealing a Duke national title.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Why be confrontational?
    You are right. Nobody on here was saying that they would think badly of him if he decides to go, etc, and that they are behind his decision, but thats not really what I was saying.

What I'm saying is...

I think we SHOULD WANT HIM TO GO. Thats the difference. (paraphrasing here from general things I have read) No "oh no I think Kyle might leave" talk. I want him to go because HE WANTS TO GO. I'm a little opinionated about this and realize that not all fans would want this for several reasons (they think he's not ready or max'd his draft stock, think he could retire his jersey, etc). But, for me, if he really wants to go and if thats his dream, I cannot see how it would be fair to hope for anything else.

I see this as a second championship for Kyle personally. His goal was not only to cement his Duke legacy, but to prepare himself for a career in the NBA with the idea of leaving THIS YEAR. That was his goal this year. Here's for hoping that he can win this second one.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    No Duke player has ever "tested the waters."
    Interesting, I didn't realize that. I think he's going to go, but if he decides to stay, we should have him test the waters anyway. Show his stuff for scouts, get his name even more out there, whet everyone's appetite for his senior season. (But I think he goes, and probably should)

Kyle academic standing

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD View Post
    As an educator, I, for one, hope that he stays and finishes his degree.
    Anyone know if Kyle is doing the JWill/Bozzer thing where he gets his degree (or close to it) in three?

Looking back to when we recruited him (when he was the #2 recruit in an epic year) I think we all would have signed up knowing we'd get him for three years, even without the NC. I'd love it if he set another example of how a top recruit can come to Duke, get a great education and still get to the NBA rather quickly.

Putting it another way, I'd love to see Kyrie has a similar trajectory with his experience at Duke, with maybe 1 more 'ship than Kyle

I agree with everyone who says we should be happy for Kyle either way. I think mid season he was a 2nd round pick but the way he played in the tournament has caught some eyes. I was thinking he was almost playing too well to be selfish because he looked like a pro to me and why wouldn't he chase the dream if he and K think that he is ready. He should test the waters and make whatever decision he thinks is best for him.

I always thought that this was Kyle's "bonus year". He could have left after his sophomore year and been a 1st round draft pick. Instead he came back and I loved him for it. The way he played in our NCAA run... he can do no wrong for me. That being said... if he comes back for his senior year he might just be my favorite Blue Devil of all-time. That has to be some sort of incentive for him... right?

Kyle

I think it is very presumptuous of any of us to say what Kyle should do. (Not trying to pick on any posters here, BTW.) It is an intensely personal matter and we can't really know what factors will play into his decision.

It probably makes sense economically for him to enter the draft now, assuming that he would be a first round pick. (I'm not totally convinced of this, in part because, as DBR likes to point out, there is no salary cap on endorsements and he would certainly build up his endorsement potential by coming back for his senior year, like Mr. Battier.) On the other hand, he is very likely to make plenty of money playing basketball, so I'm not convinced that one season should make a difference either way.

As far as the injury potential goes, I agree that the Hummel and Butler injuries might make one think it is wiser to go now. On the other hand, I think one is more likely to get seriously injured playing in the NBA than in college basketball, and if you are still under your rookie contract, you won't have a lot of money, at least relatively speaking. Also, I believe there is an insurance program available for players. Like all insurance, I'm sure that it would not make up completely for any salary loss, but it would be a nice nest egg to begin one's career with.

On the other hand, this is really a life decision. There's a lot to be said for Kyle coming back for his senior year, as the face of a very talented team. I expect he would be preseason first team All American and maybe even preseason player of the year. I think he could refine his ballhandling and shooting skills, although I acknowledge that he also could do that in the NBA. To me, spending another year at Duke, with a chance to make his name among the greatest of Duke players of all time would be infinitely preferable to being on a team like the Washington Wizards or the New Jersey Nyets.

Either way, I wish him well and will respect his decision. He has been one of the most amazing Duke players I have ever seen, and I have been watching Duke since 1975, when I was a freshman.

Pretty good points by previous poster. It's a different animal with the shaky CBA, though. The opportunities may not be the same next season. Also, considering Kyle is most likely a mid-to-late first round pick, it'd probably be less Wizards and more Spurs/Hawks, etc. The only way he's in danger of playing for a terrible, moribund franchise would be if he slips to the early second.

I think this is pretty simple...Kyle is gone if he is assured that he will be drafted in a slot that is adequate to him...

If somebody says they will take him at the end of the first round, he is gone...If somebody says they might take him at the end of the second round, that might be motivation for him to come back and to try and improve his stock...

I have seen some draft projections that don't even predict him being drafted...If that is actually true, obviously he will be back...

It's all about what the people in the industry tell K...This will be a long process...It's great that Kyle has K on his side...

Good luck Kyle and thanks for everything!!!! You were a man possessed last night!!! You willed us to win that game, you could see it in your eyes...

Espn artcile from Chad Ford

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog?...aft&id=5059811

One section of the article talking about Kyle Singler says:
    "The word on the street is that his people are already talking to agents."

Says Nolan is being projected as late first round to early 2nd, if he decides to go.

He is also projecting Zoubek will get taken by someone in the 2nd round.