Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    In years past I was always saying players should stay. Lately, with injuries, I've been saying they need to go when they can.

I think the issue here, with Kyle, is "when they can." I believe Kyle will play in the NBA but I'm not sure he is NBA ready. He is a very good college player and having him back next year might mean a repeat (I know the UNC fans just cringe when that is said). He has done well moving without the ball but not NBA well. Games like he had against Baylor shouldn't happen. In the NBA he will play against taller, lankier guys (like Baylor had) and he needs to be ready for that, he still needs to produce. He needs to be very good with the dribble. In the NBA he won't get the screens to shot off of so he will need to be able to put it on the floor. He needs to work on that. He can do that but that is at the college level.

It reminds me of JJ. In college he got screens to shot off of but in the NBA he isn't getting that and he struggled, getting better but still struggled. I think Kyle should learn from this before he goes to the NBA.

Having said that I hope he does test the waters. I have a couple of paid sites for NBA scouts and of the five only 1 of them have him going in the first round. There are too many guys like him that they have going ahead of him. Their analysis of him is a good set shooter but not a good enough dribbler for the NBA. He rebounds well for his size. But needs to improve his defense. He plays good defense against guys smaller than him but guys his size or bigger there is an issue. If he plays good defense it affects his offense. I think he should get some feedback from the pro scouts to make his determination. But if he is not in the top 20 he has to return. My fear is if JJ was taken so high in the draft, with no guaranteed money, he might not be in the NBA today.

Kyle needs to good enough to be considered a starter or close to starting in the NBA. Many of the good college players don't play so well in the pros coming off the bench. Starting all your life and then coming off the bench is a whole different world and some just can't adjust to that.

#4 for Coach K

Kyle, do whatever you want to do, man. We'll support you all the way. (You, too, Nolan -- if it turns out that you change your mind).

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Kyle, do whatever you want to do, man. We'll support you all the way. (You, too, Nolan -- if it turns out that you change your mind).
    This. I would love it if those guys stayed, but I could never begrudge them for leaving. They have given us a national championship that exceeded every expectation I ever had for them. I will always be grateful for that and supportive of their future endeavors.

Quote Originally Posted by NYDukie View Post

2. Kyle, and Nolan for that matter, as juniors can both test the process and come back and not fear not being able to test it again, as a sophmore would. Meaning if they declare, they still can pull out of the draft before "X" date before the draft and come back. Whereas, if they were sophmores and did this, they couldn't do the same thing after their junior years.
    BINGO! I totally see Kyle doing this...why not? I think he doesn't hire an agent, listens to what the pro teams have to say, and returns his senior year...just like Vasquez.

I could be way off and I can't wait to see the new draft projections, but I don't think another McBob second round pick would make Kyle want to leave.

I really hope he stays though...my #12 jersey needs to get more wear!

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post
    BINGO! I totally see Kyle doing this...why not? I think he doesn't hire an agent, listens to what the pro teams have to say, and returns his senior year...just like Vasquez.

I could be way off and I can't wait to see the new draft projections, but I don't think another McBob second round pick would make Kyle want to leave.

I really hope he stays though...my #12 jersey needs to get more wear!
    This. Exactly. IMHO he'd be silly not to at least test the waters to see if his stock is where he wants it to be. If so, stay in the draft, if not, come back and contribute to back-to-back!

I get everyone's concern that he may not be ready, but why not get paid guaranteed mega-$$ while getting ready? I love college bball and Duke in particular, but he owes us nothing...

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Thumbs up Thanks Kyle and Nolan

I absolutely love watching Kyle play but I think he should go for his own good. Everyone knows he is a phenomenal player and he just won a title and got the MVP award. He deserves to cash in.

I hope Smith stays. I know he said he was but he had a really good tourney too. Sometimes kids say things to make others happy. I wouldn't hold it against Nolan if he changed his mind because he can go in the first round (if he can). With that said if Smith stays I can't wait to see him in an expanded role next year. He was money at the end this year and his confidence and game went thru the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    I absolutely love watching Kyle play but I think he should go for his own good. Everyone knows he is a phenomenal player and he just won a title and got the MVP award. He deserves to cash in.
    Would you consider it "cashing in" if he went 2nd round? Just thinking out loud...I still am not sure he's first round. It obviously depends on who else is going to throw their names in the hat.

I also think it all depends on how the scouts view this tourney.

Injury...

I think one of the big things Kyle has to think about is what happened on Saturday to Da'Sean Butler. (Try to) Imagine that's Kyle next year-blows out his ACL in the Final Four-How would that affect his status with the pros? For me deciding whether or not to go pro, Butler's injury would be reason #1, #2, and #3 to go pro early. Of course, there's much more to Kyle's situation (whether he wants to win back-2-back championships, his need for $, etc).

I think Kyle is ready and telll Rip Hamilton and Reggie and Allen that you can't make a living coming off screens. It happens to be an art form. Kyle's use of the screen game reminds me of Rip's, and any team that drafts him and expects him to play will know that. I think that Kyle has the one-bounce-and-shoot-when-he catches-off-the-screen-inside-17 game down, and is extremely potent at it. His ability to extend his upper torso, his shoulder girdle upward, when he lifts his arms high, which he does off that mid-range shoot, his balance and footwork off the one-bounce moves, make a switch by a screen setter not much of an obstacle. He can take it to the rim. That makes his ability to catch and shoot it off the screen especially potent. He will want to develop diversity in his penetrating passing game and his ability to play off it to complement his 3-game, and also will want to get more diverse off the bounce from 3 range. these would be nice but are not essentials. The former I think will be easy and will be sufficient to round out a very competent an offensive arsenal as a 3 who will have a physical advantage on most players in that position.

Kyle's defensive game is something people do not talk about but he shut down two great scorers the last two games, shut them down--first Butler and then Hayward. Nobody else in college basketball does that.

Kyle's ability to anticipate and be opportunistic is also very, very underrated. When he sees it early and springs, whether it is the direction of a rebound, how a guy will finish, where and when a pass is coming, his timing is impecible and he presents as such as an imposing figure, as dominant an athlete as one can imagine.

I do not see what he has to gain by coming back, unless the pros evaluate him differently and the benefits of going now are just not that appealing. Then, I'd have to think that finishing his college education, having a senior year at Duke, and getting to help lead what is certain to be an extremely, extremely formidable team if he returns, will be worth much more than going as a 2 pick.

If he is not a lottery, the pros will miss out. Singler will return. I think the pros will get it right.
    Last edited by greybeard; 04-06-2010 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Not a big NBA pundent, but I cannot imagine that Kyle staying could possibly hurt his draft status. He will be playing with KI and Seth Curry, in addition to the others coming back. That could be a very special team, and he most certainly would be a if not THE focal point of that team.
    it could be a really special team, but with that backcourt (nolan, seth, dawkins, irving) kyle would probably have to move back to being a big again, which would mean yet another switch in training, and another year out of his natural nba position on the perimeter. if he feels he's a first round pick, i think he should go. he's accomplished what he wanted to, and there's no really compelling reason to stay other than if he decides this isn't the best draft class for him.

I wasted my time last year trying to justify why Gerald would stay. I'm not going to do that this year with Kyle.

It's going to be a looooooong 30+ days.

I think Kyle's stock will rise over the near term as people analyze the season he had. And I expect him to go. I'd be very happy for him if that happened. I sure would love to have him back, but what is best for everyone right now is what is best for Kyle, if he can go early, go, and God bless.

I don't underestimate what he can do as a Duke Ambassador going early in the draft and having a successful NBA career. He'll continue to serve as a shining example of Duke Class for a long time no matter what.

If they go they go...

Nothing but Love for either Nolan or Kyle should they make the jump.
    They "Brung home the goods" ... all you can really say is "Thanks for the memories and good luck."

It would be ideal if at least 1 stayed to provide some leadership... but really. How can you hold it against them? You cant really...

Quote Originally Posted by NovaScotian View Post
    it could be a really special team, but with that backcourt (nolan, seth, dawkins, irving) kyle would probably have to move back to being a big again, which would mean yet another switch in training, and another year out of his natural nba position on the perimeter.
    With the personnel we will have next year I think we'll be doing more running. The Plumlees are both mobile and can get up and down the court. If Kyle stays he may end up defending the 4 a lot, but his role on offense should be similar to this year.

More and more college teams really play guys at the 4 who are NBA 3's anyway. I think Kyle will stay or go based on where he will be drafted, not really because he'll play this position or that position at Duke next year.

I'm going to be a little bit confrontational. I think its 100% selfish for any true Duke fan to hope Kyle stays one more year. Kyle WANTS to go. This is not about being behind his decision, most sane Duke fans will do that regardless if he goes. This is about HOPING for the best for him, ie, hoping he has impressed scouts and doubters enough with this insane championship run to rocket up his draft stock to a position that makes him comfortable to leave. If Kyle WANTS to leave, how can we truly hope for that theoretical lineup next year with him as a senior? In my eyes that is against the spirit of Duke basketball. This young man has done so much for us. Lets hope for his wishes.

Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post
    I'm going to be a little bit confrontational. I think its 100% selfish for any true Duke fan to hope Kyle stays one more year. Kyle WANTS to go. This is not about being behind his decision, most sane Duke fans will do that regardless if he goes. This is about HOPING for the best for him, ie, hoping he has impressed scouts and doubters enough with this insane championship run to rocket up his draft stock to a position that makes him comfortable to leave. If Kyle WANTS to leave, how can we truly hope for that theoretical lineup next year with him as a senior? In my eyes that is against the spirit of Duke basketball. This young man has done so much for us. Lets hope for his wishes.

Go Duke!

Ditto. I, for one, selfishly hoping he can return. I think Kyle has every right in the world to do something for himself.

Absolutely if Kyle wants to go, I hope he gets the chance. Not knowing him personally, though (as I suspect is true for most of us), I have no real way of knowing what he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    I think one of the big things Kyle has to think about is what happened on Saturday to Da'Sean Butler. (Try to) Imagine that's Kyle next year-blows out his ACL in the Final Four-How would that affect his status with the pros? For me deciding whether or not to go pro, Butler's injury would be reason #1, #2, and #3 to go pro early. Of course, there's much more to Kyle's situation (whether he wants to win back-2-back championships, his need for $, etc).
    Injury risk in sport is ever present. That said, Kyle has a style of play that minimumizes risk, rather than maximizes it aka Butler. Butler blew out his knee by planting hard with his left foot while moving fast and with force in a forward direction. He planted his left foot to try to jump right, to glide past Zoubek. That is an extremely dangerous play, which was what Butler's extraordinary ability get to and score at the rim this season was built upon.

Kyle has very, very little of that in his game. The injuries he has suffered at Duke, for example the two wrist injuries this season, weres on borderline, or in some cases beyond borderline, dangerous plays by defenders that have no place in the game.

Kyle is an extraordinay athlete who plays within himself and who makes often makes plays on an uncanny ability to see what will happen before most anyone has any reason to. In that regard, he is very much like his childhood hero, the Birdman.

I don't think that the risk of injury will play any part in his decision.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post
    ...I think its 100% selfish for any true Duke fan to hope Kyle stays one more year....
    As an educator, I, for one, hope that he stays and finishes his degree.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD View Post
    As an educator, I, for one, hope that he stays and finishes his degree.
    Many players leave in 3 years and still finish their degree. I am not sure how many classes he would have left, but Im sure he could do it.