Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chadlee989 View Post
    I am switching from satellite to cable tomorrow. Just finished the game one last time before i have to say goodbye to my old dvr. I come to this website everyday but i do not like to post very often but tonight i just had to bring this thread back at least one more time. After the last couple of weeks we have had i figured it might be good for everyone to remember how great this team was. What a great team and year. It was nice to see a young Mason on the floor looking almost lost and seeing how much he has improved. Good times and great memories.

Go Duke!
    You can watch it anytime on the NCAA vault or maybe even the ACC vault. Both are free and if you wanted, you could hook your cpu up to your tv for a bog screen.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Interesting timing. I have Dish Network and I recently decided to upgrade to their new "Hopper" with "Joey's" system, which is pretty cool. Thanks to my daughter getting a TV for her Bday last week, I now have 5 TV's and needed to get cable to her room. So Dish came today to hook me up with a Hopper and 2 Joey's for 3 of the TV's, and a second Hopper and 1 Joey for the other two TV's. Each Hopper and Joey put out a true 1080p signal. But enough of the techo geek stuff.

They of course took out my old HD DVR receivers and I lost the Baylor game, West Virginia & Butler games plus two UNC games, one of which was the Rivers bomb.

I do have the Butler game on DVD, but looks like I have some DVD's to purchase from GoDuke just like you.

Regarding the game, I still maintain that the most nervous I have even been in my life was during the Timeout with 13 seconds left in the game, where Butler would have the ball down 1 when play resumed. Longest timeout ever in my opinion. I was about to have a nervous breakdown...
    All are in the ACC/NCAA vault
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    I do have the Butler game on DVD, but looks like I have some DVD's to purchase from GoDuke just like you.

Regarding the game, I still maintain that the most nervous I have even been in my life was during the Timeout with 13 seconds left in the game, where Butler would have the ball down 1 when play resumed. Longest timeout ever in my opinion. I was about to have a nervous breakdown...
    I also have the game on DVD, but not very good quality, so go over to the NCAA vault... great stuff.

For the last 13 seconds, I distinctly remember Zoubs guarding the in-bound pass, and forced Butler to take their last time out. Then, it was Zoubs that every so slightly altered Hayward's shot, and then rebounded the ball. One memory I have that I've never been able to find again is Coach K running up to Zoubs, jumping up to him, slapping him on his chest... and as far as I could "read lips", I think he said "way to play defense!!!".

This has to be my favorite thread of all time

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    I also have the game on DVD, but not very good quality, so go over to the NCAA vault... great stuff.

For the last 13 seconds, I distinctly remember Zoubs guarding the in-bound pass, and forced Butler to take their last time out. Then, it was Zoubs that every so slightly altered Hayward's shot, and then rebounded the ball. One memory I have that I've never been able to find again is Coach K running up to Zoubs, jumping up to him, slapping him on his chest... and as far as I could "read lips", I think he said "way to play defense!!!".
    I just wanted to add one or two more points to your recap of all the things Zoubs did in the last, critical 13 seconds. The excellent defense he played on that inbounds pass (to force Butler's last time out) was set up by the preceding play where Butler had an open shooter set up in the corner, but Zoubs was able to just barely deflect the pass so it went out of bounds. If not for that, the Butler shooter was primed and ready for an open shot from the corner and the pass was heading his way.

Then, in addition to the string of plays that you described, I think there was one more that is worth considering. When he intentionally missed his second free throw, he stepped up to Heyward and positioned himself so that he would not foul, but made Heyward go around him. It wasn't much, but given the situation, maybe a few tenths of a second means a difference in the shot leaving from mid court or past mid court.

Zoubs made 5 good to great defensive plays in those last 13 or so seconds that were all critically important. I always like to think about, what a fitting end for a young man who worked so hard and struggled through adversity his whole career.

I recalled more excitement about the 2010 championship as compared to 2015, and am surprised that at a comparable point (5-days post championship) the 2015 thread is actually longer that this one in 2010 was.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    I recalled more excitement about the 2010 championship as compared to 2015, and am surprised that at a comparable point (5-days post championship) the 2015 thread is actually longer that this one in 2010 was.
    Championships are getting to be old hat around here. Now every 5 years rather than every 9. When Duke wins again next year there may not even be a thread

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Championships are getting to be old hat around here. Now every 5 years rather than every 9. When Duke wins again next year there may not even be a thread
    Next year, the ONLY thread we should have is a "not to jinx it" thread.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    2010 meant sooooo much to me at the time. Those kids had gone through so much crap, the school had gone through so much crap,, and finally, the Duke Haters had been having a field day since the 2001 title, so much so that it was quite unbearable. I think I said it somewhere upstream in this thread back then, that I was about to have a nervous breakdown during the timeout with 13 seconds to go. My wife asked me why I was so intense. I said at the time "because of all the Duke teams ever, this team more than any, deserves to win a title. And it will absolutely stick it up the rear of all the haters if this group (alarmingly un-athletic, too white per Bomani Jones) win it all. So when it ended it was a different type of elation. Unspeakable joy. More below...

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    However, from the opening tip this past Monday Night, I was more nervous than I had ever been during a Duke game. My stomach was in knots and every possession felt like the world was at stake. This will sound insane to those outside the rivalry given this was a National Title game, but it was so intense it felt like a Unc game to me. Then we started missing bunnies. Shots we had made all season were suddenly not going in. Then we get in foul trouble late in first half. Then we fall behind right out of the gate in the 2nd half. THen we go down 9 midway thru and the team is teetering on the edge of getting blown out. I was starting to feel we were done. Then Grayson goes bonkers and I think "Game on". When the Tyus 3 went down to put us up 8, I come up out of my seat, high fived my son and screamed so loud I woke up my wife who was asleep downstairs. Final buzzer I go nuts again. Old hat? The hell ye say! Elation again. Maybe a different elation than 2010, but certainly not "less elated".

National Championships are awesome. They don't get old, they don't get stale, and for me, they certainly don't get taken for granted. They are cause for great elation, celebration, and cause to just soak it all in. I will bask in this all through the summer and into the fall. Countdown for Craziness will be awesome as they pass out the rings and other gifts for the players and we celebrate the banner raised. Going to be a special night. To sum it up, this wasn't Quinn Cook's 5th Title. It was his first and only one. Seeing him get that championship is something truly special.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    2010 meant sooooo much to me at the time. Those kids had gone through so much crap, the school had gone through so much crap,, and finally, the Duke Haters had been having a field day since the 2001 title, so much so that it was quite unbearable. I think I said it somewhere upstream in this thread back then, that I was about to have a nervous breakdown during the timeout with 13 seconds to go. My wife asked me why I was so intense. I said at the time "because of all the Duke teams ever, this team more than any, deserves to win a title. And it will absolutely stick it up the rear of all the haters if this group (alarmingly un-athletic, too white per Bomani Jones) win it all. So when it ended it was a different type of elation. Unspeakable joy. More below...
    I remember that time well. John Wall, Harrison Barnes, can't recruit bigs...there were loud questions as to whether Duke would ever be the same again.

After we won the 2010 championship, Nike came out with "Order has been restored" and you know, it hit home for many.

The 2015 championship is sweet after losing in the first round 2 of the past 3 years, but somehow, the 2010 version had more emotional impact for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    I remember that time well. John Wall, Harrison Barnes, can't recruit bigs...there were loud questions as to whether Duke would ever be the same again.

After we won the 2010 championship, Nike came out with "Order has been restored" and you know, it hit home for many.

The 2015 championship is sweet after losing in the first round 2 of the past 3 years, but somehow, the 2010 version had more emotional impact for me.
    with 2010, we had had several very mediocre teams before...if not losing in the first round, almost always getting bounced before our time. we had had a lot of recruiting bonks and no real stars. yeah we had D and paulus and G...but since reddick, there was no one who (imho) you would say "i REALLY don't want to go up against THAT guy"

then the way that the team came together...with 3 pretty good guys who came together to just wreck everyone down the stretch. Since then, we've had some really relaly good players, if not the tourney success

kyrie
    parker
    hood
    okafor
    winslow
    jones
    and to a lesser degree
    ryan
    mason

we also had an elite 8 bounce just 3 years off the title...compared to a 6 year drought prior to 2010...in what WOULD have been a final four team had we not run into UL (IMO)

2010 was also just so unexpected...nothing pointed to the team being any different than the past 6 that hadn't reached past the sweet 16...and then BAM natty.

since the first week of the season, this team has been expected to be in indy, and perhaps the prohibitive favorite to face UK in the title game. so it wasn't unexpected.

/ramble. go masters
    1200. DDMF.

Also regarding 2010:

In addition to having been 9 years since a title, UNC had won two* in that period. The count had gotten up to 5-3.*

* who knows, we might be back at 5-3 soon enough =)

2010 was so unexpected. There were some *very* down years since the last final four run. We hadn't made it past the sweet sixteen in six years. We couldn't land top recruits anymore, and the ones we got were transferring out. We had just been blown out of the tournament in the worst loss in 30+ years, watched our best player from that team get drafted, and then to make matters worse, had been publicly humiliated in losing the top recruit in history (HBFU) to UNC. In addition, UNC had just won 2 championships and had a player older than Dwight Howard stay around long enough to break JJ's all-time scoring record. And now Calipari was at Kentucky, getting all the top recruits that we couldn't touch. Coach K was done, the game had passed him by.

2010 was supposed to be a "wait until next year" type of season, where the next season we would finally get Kyrie, we would finally get rid of plodding Zoubek, and maybe if the stars aligned correctly, ride a senior Singler and Nolan Smith to the Final Four. Instead, after the HBFU debacle, it seems like Coach K got angry. I remember thinking the team might be decent when we beat UConn by outrebounding them and being more physical, and I think there was some odd statistic about the 2nd half that game, like we shot really poorly and still won because we owned the boards. We made it to the championship game against all odds, and *then* the narrative was David vs. Goliath (funny how quickly the media changed from Duke being a has-been to Goliath). Winning that championship was Coach K telling Gottleib, Packer, Bomani, Barnes, and every big man coach who recruited against us in America to eff off.

Order has been restored. Loved that photo.

And now we have five.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    with 2010, we had had several very mediocre teams before...if not losing in the first round, almost always getting bounced before our time. we had had a lot of recruiting bonks and no real stars. yeah we had D and paulus and G...but since reddick, there was no one who (imho) you would say "i REALLY don't want to go up against THAT guy"
    Quote Originally Posted by jdk View Post
    2010 was so unexpected. There were some *very* down years since the last final four run. We hadn't made it past the sweet sixteen in six years. We couldn't land top recruits anymore, and the ones we got were transferring out. We had just been blown out of the tournament in the worst loss in 30+ years, watched our best player from that team get drafted, and then to make matters worse, had been publicly humiliated in losing the top recruit in history (HBFU) to UNC. In addition, UNC had just won 2 championships and had a player older than Dwight Howard stay around long enough to break JJ's all-time scoring record. And now Calipari was at Kentucky, getting all the top recruits that we couldn't touch. Coach K was done, the game had passed him by.
    I don't understand this history at all. Duke hadn't experienced major NCAA tournament success, but to call 2005-2009 "very" anything resembling "mediocre" or "down" sounds crazyballs to me.

2005 Duke was 27-6, a 1-seed, #3 in kenpom's final rankings, ACC champion, and a wonderful overachiever. JJ and Shelden were incredibly durable and money their junior years.
    2006 Duke was a 32-4, a 1-seed, ACC champion, and #2 in kenpom's final rankings. JJ's senior year. Crazy fun season until LSU at the end.
    2007 Duke was the only season when mediocre is even in the zip code of fair. 22-11. Duke was a 6-seed in the tournament, and it lost in the first round.
    2008 Duke was 28-6, a 2-seed, and #10 in kenpom's final rankings. West Virginia ended the season in the second round.
    2009 Duke was 30-7, a 2-seed, ACC champion, and #12 in kenpom's final rankings. A bad Sweet 16 loss to Nova and Carolina's title felt bad.

I get the displeasure with 2007, and I get the frustration with tourney performance. But come on. This "down period" featured three ACC championships in five seasons, two 1-seeds, and two 2-seeds. People did not enjoy playing Duke those years, regardless of what a cossetted, spoiled fanbase might be telling itself. If you offered the above five-year run in all its particulars to Arizona fans right now, many would take it. Any program below Zona's level? Would take it in an effing second. Duke's been a power for so long we've forgotten what it feels like to actually not be a power.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Esseintes View Post
    I don't understand this history at all. Duke hadn't experienced major NCAA tournament success, but to call 2005-2009 "very" anything resembling "mediocre" or "down" sounds crazyballs to me.
    I think you just demonstrated a couple things. First, people mainly remember tournament success. And not only that, but success relative to seed. A 1 seed that is out before the final four technically ends their tourney run on an upset. And so on (a 2 seed before the final 8, etc).

Related to it is expectations. Coach K has been so successful that the expectations for Duke basketball are almost impossibly high. In fact, I was rather looking forward to Duke facing Kentucky this year, because it would be a rare occasion (UVA was another, with much smaller stakes) in which Duke would be an underdog. We're almost never the underdog, so we can almost never surprise on the upside. That - and tourney underperformance relative to seed -explains why some of our very good to excellent regular seasons seem like (to some) mediocre or down years.

For the same reason, but the other side, many of us will never forget the few times Duke football won big games prior to Cutfliffe arriving - or a top 25 win after he arrived. For so many years, we were the underdog in most games, esp. against good teams.

It's all relative, as Einstein didn't say.

2005 Duke was 27-6, a 1-seed, #3 in kenpom's final rankings, ACC champion, and a wonderful overachiever. JJ and Shelden were incredibly durable and money their junior years.
    2006 Duke was a 32-4, a 1-seed, ACC champion, and #2 in kenpom's final rankings. JJ's senior year. Crazy fun season until LSU at the end.
    2007 Duke was the only season when mediocre is even in the zip code of fair. 22-11. Duke was a 6-seed in the tournament, and it lost in the first round.
    2008 Duke was 28-6, a 2-seed, and #10 in kenpom's final rankings. West Virginia ended the season in the second round.
    2009 Duke was 30-7, a 2-seed, ACC champion, and #12 in kenpom's final rankings. A bad Sweet 16 loss to Nova and Carolina's title felt bad.

I get the displeasure with 2007, and I get the frustration with tourney performance. But come on. This "down period" featured three ACC championships in five seasons, two 1-seeds, and two 2-seeds. People did not enjoy playing Duke those years, regardless of what a cossetted, spoiled fanbase might be telling itself. If you offered the above five-year run in all its particulars to Arizona fans right now, many would take it. Any program below Zona's level? Would take it in an effing second. Duke's been a power for so long we've forgotten what it feels like to actually not be a power.
    No no we know it wasn't actually a down period, but here are the facts:

1. Find another 5 year stretch since 1986 where Duke didn't get past the sweet 16. Heck find a 5 year stretch where we didn't make a final 4 (yes we are spoiled!)
    2. The eye-test did in fact say that Duke was "ALARMINGLY unathletic", and athletes were starting to become more and more important
    3. To further prove that point, Between 2005-2010 NBA drafts duke sent 3 first round picks to the NBA and only 5 draft picks overall.
    4. Duke wasn't getting any top athletes recruits.

2010 Really was a "next year" kind of year... and then it was a OH YEA Kind of year.

2010 was a HUGE surprise! We thought the game really had passed K by for reasons 1-4 above.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I think you just demonstrated a couple things. First, people mainly remember tournament success. And not only that, but success relative to seed. A 1 seed that is out before the final four technically ends their tourney run on an upset. And so on (a 2 seed before the final 8, etc).

Related to it is expectations. Coach K has been so successful that the expectations for Duke basketball are almost impossibly high. In fact, I was rather looking forward to Duke facing Kentucky this year, because it would be a rare occasion (UVA was another, with much smaller stakes) in which Duke would be an underdog. We're almost never the underdog, so we can almost never surprise on the upside. That - and tourney underperformance relative to seed -explains why some of our very good to excellent regular seasons seem like (to some) mediocre or down years.

For the same reason, but the other side, many of us will never forget the few times Duke football won big games prior to Cutfliffe arriving - or a top 25 win after he arrived. For so many years, we were the underdog in most games, esp. against good teams.

It's all relative, as Einstein didn't say.
    I...would prefer to just be good. Post-Spurrier-pre-Cutcliffe Duke football was a joyless, embarrassing wasteland. I have no desire for Duke basketball underdog, ever. If Duke was favored in every game until the end of time, I'd be elated. I am accustomed to life as the hegemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Skitzle View Post
    2010 was a HUGE surprise! We thought the game really had passed K by for reasons 1-4 above.
    "We"?

I...would prefer to just be good. Post-Spurrier-pre-Cutcliffe Duke football was a joyless, embarrassing wasteland. I have no desire for Duke basketball underdog, ever. If Duke was favored in every game until the end of time, I'd be elated. I am accustomed to life as the hegemon.
    Your attitude is similar to what John Wooden was said to have said about whether he would like to be the underdog. He said no - if you were the underdog, you probably weren't as good as the other team. He always wanted to have his team thought to be the better team. Always.

But I am susceptible to the psychological effect that being on the winning side of an "upset" in a game (esp. if a title game or nearly so) feels much more joyous than defending your acknowledged greatness. Cf., Duke-UNLV 1991. Top that in terms of exceeding expectations.

Post-Spurrier-pre-Cutcliffe Duke football was a joyless, embarrassing wasteland.
    I agree, but the game I had in mind was Clemson 1989, so not post-Spurrier.

But the Cutcliffe win at Va Tech was just about as stunning, and joyful.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post

I'll agree that the 2010 championship did have quite an emotional impact. However, I did an analysis which is posted in the "Unlikeliest Champion" thread and I have copied it down below.

If we look at ACC success as a harbinger of NCAA success, the 2015 NCAA Championship was very unexpected...

-----------------------------------------
    I did a little more data analysis and am now leaning towards 2015 as the unlikeliest.

All of the other 4 Duke NCAA Champions finished first (or tied for 1st) in the ACC regular season and made it to the ACC tournament championship with the 1992, 2001 and 2010 teams winning the ACC tournament.

So 2015 with a 2nd place finish and losing in the ACC semis had not "hung a banner" before making it to the Final 4 and winning the championship.

If you expand this to the other 7 Coach K Final Four teams,

1986 1st Regular / Tournament champion
    1988 3rd / Champion
    1989 2nd / ACC Finals
    1990 2nd / Not in Finals
    1994 1st / Not in Finals
    1999 1st / Champion
    2004 1st / ACC Finals

So only 1990 is comparable to 2015 and they are at the bottom of the list of ACC accomplishments.

I can add in the two Elite 8 teams that Coach K has coached and they look like this.

1998 1st / ACC Finals
    2013 2nd / Not in Finals

I can then add the eight Sweet 16 teams that Coach K has coached and they look like this.

1987 3rd / Not in Finals
    2000 1st / Champion
    2002 2nd / Champion
    2003 2nd / Champion
    2005 3rd / Champion
    2006 1st / Champion
    2009 2nd / Champion
    2011 2nd / Champion

So during Coach K's tenure, the 12 teams that have won the ACC regular season and the 13 teams that have won the ACC tournament championship have been to at least the Sweet 16. This means the 2015 team going into the NCAAs may have looked more like the teams that lost before the Sweet 16 than won a National Championship like the 2015 National Championship Team.

(And if you hadn't guessed this contribution has nothing to do with determining who is the most unlikeliest of the 5 Duke NCAA Championship Teams

If you are counting the 1997 team was first in the ACC regular season but lost in the round of 32.