Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    I believe the absence of Singler has to do with resting and rehabbing his knee. I sure hope he is good to go soon.
    You can't see Singler because he is jumping over the pack.

Fly Kyle Airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    To me, the biggest "fate" play that we had over the course of the tournament was the bang-bang call on Zoubs not getting his 5th foul when Acy charged into him. My recollection is the score was something like 56-54 Baylor, with about 5 minutes to go. While Zoubs did, of course, eventually foul out, I think that losing him on what would have been a 3 point play, putting us down by 5 with under 5 to go, and giving Baylor a huge momentum boost, may have been too much to come back from.
    Mark Logan posted a still photograph of that play on Facebook showing definitively that it was not a step-in block. Somehow the ref, right on the play, saw it for what it was and made the correct call. (Well, it may have been a frame from a video, rather than a still shot.)

Notice that Acy has not left the floor and that Zoubek's feet are planted (and be aware that the rule permits Zoubek's body to move, though not his feet).
    Last edited by Jim3k; 10-12-2010 at 06:43 PM. Reason: frame from video reference

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Mark Logan posted a still photograph of that play on Facebook showing definitively that it was not a step-in block. Somehow the ref, right on the play, saw it for what it was and made the correct call. (Well, it may have been a frame from a video, rather than a still shot.)

Notice that Acy has not left the floor and that Zoubek's feet are planted (and be aware that the rule permits Zoubek's body to move, though not his feet).
    Thanks for this! I love proving people wrong and this will work great!

And thank goodness the ref got it right!

My point wasn't that he got it wrong, but that it was a very close call, it could easily have gone the other way (since NCAA tournament refs are generally predisposed against calling charges, and Zoubs needed to overcome a rep from earlier in his career as a "player who fouls alot", etc.), and if it had, we would have had a tough time coming back to win -- I'm sure the rim looked much bigger for Nolan and Jon on the key three pointers they hit when it was a 1 possession game or we were ahead than it would have if we were 5 points down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post

Jim, I think for proper analysis, you have to take into account that the rule is a lot more complicated than that. Once you've established legal guarding position, there are lots of things you can do with your feet and your body.

Art. 4. To establish an initial legal guarding position on the player with the ball:
    a. The guard shall have both feet touching the playing court. When the guard jumps into position initially, both feet must return to the playing court after the jump, for the guard to attain a guarding position.
    b. The guard’s torso shall face the opponent.
    c. No time and distance shall be required.
    d. When the opponent with the ball is airborne, the guard shall have attained legal position before the opponent left the playing court. Exception: (Men) Rule 4-35.7
    Art. 6. To maintain a legal guarding position after the initial position has been attained, the guard:
    a. Is not required to continue having the torso face the opponent;
    b. Is required to have either one foot or both feet on the playing court (cannot be out of bounds);
    c. May raise the hands or may jump within his or her own vertical plane;
    d. May shift to maintain guarding position in the path of the dribbler, provided that the guard does not charge into the dribbler or otherwise cause contact;
    e. May move laterally or obliquely to maintain position provided such a move is not toward the opponent when contact occurs;
    f. Is not required to have the feet on the playing court when shifting in the path of the dribbler or when moving laterally or obliquely; and
    g. May turn or duck to absorb shock when contact by the dribbler is imminent. In such a case, the dribbler shall not be absolved from the responsibility of contact.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    Jim, I think for proper analysis, you have to take into account that the rule is a lot more complicated than that. Once you've established legal guarding position, there are lots of things you can do with your feet and your body.
    Your citations to the rule are correct, of course. I had them to hand as I wrote my post, but didn't see the need to become overly detailed about them since the photo was so clean. I had already had this argument with my brother, so I was prepared.

And Nugget, I understood that you knew the call to be correct. I just wanted to again put Mark Logan's work up for everyone to see, because there is still a lot of controversy about it in the blogosphere and the shot is so definitive.

And I really have to give props to the ref. That was a really hard call to see. I'm sure he's taken a lot of grief over it, though he made a magnificent call here.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Rarely seen footage of before and after the title game (notice what the cameraman is saying before Zoubs shhots the final free throw.)

http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2010/10/...-rare-footage/
    Notice also that the sound is muted beginning with the screen on Singler until the final shot is missed. Wonder what was said during that time?

I am wearing one of my championship shirts today. Couldn't let it fall to the second page.

Quote Originally Posted by sdotbarbee View Post
    Couldn't let it fall to the second page.
    You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO right!

BTTT

Seems like this needs to be near the top, at least until this evening.

Pumped about tonight anybody?

This thread will never get old.

I do, however, hope it gets superceded. Good luck team. Have a great season.

"Their Moment"

Before we begin a new season, let's step back one more time to revisit the last one.

April 6th, 2:11 a.m. ESPN Sportscenter in the words of Rece Davis:

"You know in the movies Butler's Gordon Hayward would have had that half court heave go down, the underdog would have been celebrated, all of their dreams and goals realized. But sometimes overlooked is the fact that giants have dreams too. They have aspirations. They have expectations. And Duke, this year, lived up to them all.

Their Moment

That's how Mike Krzyzewski described this ride to the championship for Duke. Not as a quest to return the Blue Devils to championship status, win a milestone 4th title, or quiet critics.

Their Moment

The players can't identify with a 4th championship, said Coach K, it's their first. It's important to stay in their moment. Duke's best moments centered around toughness. The rebound the senior just wanted more, or the selflessness of his classmate, allowing 3 brilliant scorers to bask in myriad moments of glory "Scheyer, left corner, 3, Got It!" (in the voice of Bob Harris with 2:37 left in the Baylor game).

There's a funny thing about moments, in and of themselves they're fleeting. They endure when they're shared. Instants meld to form the cornerstones of a championship season. They strengthen the foundation of a culture. They cement a legacy. Mike Krzyzewski now owns 4 titles. Only John Wooden, with 10, has more.

Such success doesn't bring universal acclaim, not if the front of your jersey says "Duke". They are polarizing, love them, hate them, love to hate them, their moments always get a reaction. But the fair reaction now is to give these devils their due. Duke is back on top and like it or not they've earned the right to revel in their moment".

The 2010 team has given us memories to last a lifetime.

My last post on this thread. One Shining Moment.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 24 90 View Post
    Before we begin a new season, let's step back one more time to revisit the last one.

"You know in the movies Butler's Gordon Hayward would have had that half court heave go down, the underdog would have been celebrated, all of their dreams and goals realized. But sometimes overlooked is the fact that giants have dreams too. They have aspirations. They have expectations. And Duke, this year, lived up to them all.

Their Moment

That's how Mike Krzyzewski described this ride to the championship for Duke. Not as a quest to return the Blue Devils to championship status, win a milestone 4th title, or quiet critics.

Their Moment

The players can't identify with a 4th championship, said Coach K, it's their first. It's important to stay in their moment. Duke's best moments centered around toughness. The rebound the senior just wanted more, or the selflessness of his classmate, allowing 3 brilliant scorers to bask in myriad moments of glory "Scheyer, left corner, 3, Got It!" (in the voice of Bob Harris with 2:37 left in the Baylor game).

There's a funny thing about moments, in and of themselves they're fleeting. They endure when they're shared. Instants meld to form the cornerstones of a championship season. They strengthen the foundation of a culture. They cement a legacy. Mike Krzyzewski now owns 4 titles. Only John Wooden, with 10, has more.

Such success doesn't bring universal acclaim, not if the front of your jersey says "Duke". They are polarizing, love them, hate them, love to hate them, their moments always get a reaction. But the fair reaction now is to give these devils their due. Duke is back on top and like it or not they've earned the right to revel in their moment".
    Wow - I hadn't seen or heard that before. I just got goosebumps from reading it in the office and remembering the game. Great words from Rece; I'm impressed.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by 1 24 90 View Post

Their Moment

Their Moment

As I read this I had so much pride in not only last years championship team, but for every Duke team that I've been blessed to follow for more years than most and our great HOF coach. Good job by Rece also. Can't wait for the season to begin. A few more hours. Go Duke!

Can I ask... does this get locked when CTC starts? Or does this one NEVER get locked?

I vote...

NEVER!

We won't stop being

2010 Nat'l Champs !!

Go Duke!!

I am watching it again right now, getting ready for tonight. This game never gets old. 24-20 duke right now. I wonder how it will end

I will always look back on this past season and the final four with fond memories. It was my first time at the FF and thus will always be special to me.

So I see no reason to lock the thread, I will look forward to revisiting it at some point, but I will move on starting tonight. Its time to PURSUE our next set of goals. It starts with pursuing a championship at the CBE Classic as well as capturing ACC regular season and tournament titles and obviously another NC.

I'm also ready to watch another team come together. This season will be very, very different from last season in terms of style and I'm excited to watch K work his magic again.

Jumbo, bring on Phase 0!!!