Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by should_be_working View Post
    This is pretty much off topic, but I couldn't find a thread to post it in, plus this thread had found its way on page 3.

Has anyone with a Duke Blue Planet Magazine subscription received the double issue championship edition yet? I signed up for the magazine several months ago and have yet to receive it. I'm just getting a little nervous that somehow I was left off the list, but it very well might not have been sent out yet.

So did anyone get it yet?

Thanks!
    Looks like the commemorative championship edition may have been replaced with a full-length book to be released in August, which might explain the delay.

One of the covers.
    Last edited by Duvall; 07-25-2010 at 04:38 PM.

i just re-watched the championship game....i drew my wife's ire AGAIN by cursing calls and generally exhibiting nervousness....what a great game... I've finally figured a way to be at peace with the end of the game...I've been stressing constantly about Howard's dirty block not being called, but i figure now....that's why the shot didin't go in....

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I agree with your general premise, but, as I think Gumbomoop stated, KenPom seems to be as good a statistical model as I know of (simply because it has been promoted and discussed here the most) but it is not the be-all end-all. I am pretty sure that was not the intention of your post, but by saying that "Duke passed KU" implies a certitude about best team that others have said we don't have the best way of knowing for sure. Interesting discussion and I also agree that I am happy to hijack this thread a bit to keep it near the top.
    Doing my part to keep the thread near the top. I definitely did not mean to say that Pomeroy has a monopoly on the best statistical model. I just used his as an example of how even the most intricate of models cannot do more than make an estimation of the best team at a given time. I simply meant that Duke passed Kansas on Pomeroy's ratings by the final third of the season, not that Duke passed Kansas as a definitively better team.

Even Pomeroy can only provide snapshots of data to date for any given point in the season. A highly regarded team that has struggled to the tune of 8-9 losses, a few to teams outside of KenPom's top 60, would not necessarily be considered the favorite. However, if that same team turns it on come tourney time and absolutely demolishes top 10 competition on the way to the title it will most likely be able to ascend to the top of Pomeroy's ratings, much of that based only on six games. Similarly, Pomeroy doesn't take into account injuries, chemistry issues, coacing issues, personal problems with players, etc. If Kyle and Jon had missed one game this season against, say, Wake Forest, and Duke gets demolished by Wake, that is going to cause Wake's adjusted efficiency ratings to get a bump that doesn't accurately reflect the strength of the team they were playing.

All this being said, I would just like to add that I think Duke WAS the best team this past season. By the end of the season there wasn't a team in the nation that could impose its will against us. We forced opponents to play at our speed, beat our incredibly intense halfcourt defense and out gun our efficient half court offense in limited possessions. We had the depth inside to handle this grind it out style and the experience on the perimeter to be patient in the half court. Although people talk about how Duke had a championship team without lottery talent, I think in the next five years or so we'll look back and realize that this team was more talented than people realized. Singler, Jon, and Smith all still have a chance to have substantial NBA careers. Mason might be a lottery pick this coming year. The book is far from written on Andre, Miles, and Zoubek. Plus, Duke was blessed with a jack of all trades on defense in Thomas which is worth more than many realize. We will see how history looks back at this team, but I think it will see it more clearly for what it actually was: the best team in the 2009-2010 season.

Smile

Just wanted to bring this back to the front page, where it belongs.

I'm still smiling!

Whooo Hoooo! Yes Yes Yes...we won, we won, we won. Whoo Hoooo!

Sorry, just reliving a great moment

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    All this being said, I would just like to add that I think Duke WAS the best team this past season. By the end of the season there wasn't a team in the nation that could impose its will against us. We forced opponents to play at our speed, beat our incredibly intense halfcourt defense and out gun our efficient half court offense in limited possessions. We had the depth inside to handle this grind it out style and the experience on the perimeter to be patient in the half court. Although people talk about how Duke had a championship team without lottery talent, I think in the next five years or so we'll look back and realize that this team was more talented than people realized. Singler, Jon, and Smith all still have a chance to have substantial NBA careers. Mason might be a lottery pick this coming year. The book is far from written on Andre, Miles, and Zoubek. Plus, Duke was blessed with a jack of all trades on defense in Thomas which is worth more than many realize. We will see how history looks back at this team, but I think it will see it more clearly for what it actually was: the best team in the 2009-2010 season.
    That's a really interesting point. I do wonder how history will look back on this team talent-wise. Did it truly epitomize the fist vs. five finger rule? Take a group of high-character, low-talent guys and put together a championship team. Or was truly more talented than we realized? I think Zoubek is capable of a 10+ year NBA career if he's in the right situation. Jon may be able to squirm his way onto something. Kyle and Nolan have the chance to be fairly productive NBA players.

It might take five years before we have even a semblance of an answer.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Back to the top. Football around the corner and basketball can't come soon enough.

SI commemorative

Did anyone get their Sports Illustrated commemorative edition yet? I ordered when right after they were made available and haven't gotten mine yet.

An aside -
    My son makes fun of me because I still say, "I can't believe Duke won."

Quote Originally Posted by lmb View Post
    Did anyone get their Sports Illustrated commemorative edition yet? I ordered when right after they were made available and haven't gotten mine yet.

An aside -
    If you're referring to the hardbound edition of the commemorative SI issue, mine arrived in the mail a few weeks ago, as did the season highlights DVD that was part of the SI championship package.

An aside -
    I called them on July 5th and asked about my order and they told me it wasn't in the system
    so I had to reorder and they told me it was on back order so I'm still waiting..........

An aside -
    Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    If you're referring to the hardbound edition of the commemorative SI issue, mine arrived in the mail a few weeks ago, as did the season highlights DVD that was part of the SI championship package.
    I also got my hardbound edition about a month or month and a half ago and got the DVD last week, I believe. I really enjoyed the DVD. Just a quick summary of a wonderful season. It reminded me how big that first win at Clemson was, and how there was early talk about how Duke couldn't win on the road after a very small sample size to start the year. Duke did pretty well on neutral floors though. I also thought there was supposed to be a mini-basketball with our orders as well. Anyone know more about that, or am I imagining things?
    Last edited by NSDukeFan; 07-30-2010 at 11:18 AM. Reason: small addition

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I also got my hardbound edition about a month or month and a half ago and got the DVD last week, I believe. I really enjoyed the DVD. Just a quick summary of a wonderful season. It reminded me how big that first win at Clemson was, and how there was early talk about how Duke couldn't win on the road after a very small sample size to start the year. Duke did pretty well on neutral floors though. I also thought there was supposed to be a mini-basketball with our orders as well. Anyone know more about that, or am I imagining things?
    I think the mini-ball was only if you signed up for the subscription to SI. I just ordered the
    book/dvd without the subscription.

This was a great basketball season. When I am out and about, and have on a Duke shirt, even Carolina fans are giving "congrats" to this years team and championship. I see more Duke shirts at the pool this year, than in previous years. Great!! Go Duke!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Is the DVD the same as the "Banner Year" DVD (Carquest?)

I thought I had ordered both the DVD and the hardcover commemorative but so far have received nothing from SI. Time to call I guess.
    The Gordog

Quote Originally Posted by The Gordog View Post
    Is the DVD the same as the "Banner Year" DVD (Carquest?)
    Yes.

Just need to move this back to the top.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Just need to move this back to the top.
    And keep it at the top. Needs to stay on Page 1 until October 15th! Then it becomes time to start the chase of the 2011 Belt! We have the Belt! The Big Belt. (We also have the little belt, 9 out of the last 12 to be exact, but I would not want to brag or anything!)

i think i'm going to put together an audio compilation of all the dumbass things clark kellogg said about duke along the way...

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i think i'm going to put together an audio compilation of all the dumbass things clark kellogg said about duke along the way...

That would definitely be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post

This should be a very long audio...